Chapter Twelve

Please Stay, Don't Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weather has gotten warmer, the early summer sun immediately sending its glorious rays down on Minjoo's bare shoulders as soon as she got out of the cab in front of her office building.

She has been commuting to work alone for the past week. All because, surprisingly, their business has an unexpected growth spurt, and everyone's busy, all at their wits' end, making sure that the quality of their service still remains the same, if not better.

Today, Sakura has an important client meeting, and had to get to work extra early to prepare. She, on the other hand, has to go through several job applications in search for decent applicants that might potentially join their company on top of her daily tasks.

They haven't seen much of each other lately, even though they live in the same apartment, both of them riding a new wave of momentum and doing more work than usual.

Unfortunately, the same could be said to her and Yujin. While the days seemed to have gotten longer, which would have been perfect for both of them to spend more time with each other, work was proving to be quite a hindrance. Even Yujin has gotten more work commitments this month than any other months of the year.

Minjoo tilted her head up, looking at the clear blue skies with slight apprehension. She had to squint a little as the sun hit her face, a hand instantly going up to shield her eyes. With a long, deep sigh, she breathed out softly in exhaustion.

With fifteen minutes to spare before the official working hours began, she decided to head towards Sakura's office instead of her own. She should be answering important emails now, but a more pressing matter kept nagging her from the back of her brain. She had to see Sakura.

She was greeted by Sakura's secretary, Yabuki Nako, a petite Japanese woman who always has a big smile on her face.

"Is it okay to come in?" she asked, returning the smile, albeit hers was just a small one.

"Since it's you, I guess it's okay," the secretary answered timidly.

Her smile widened genuinely. "Let me be the judge of that, then."

Her fist came in contact with the door, giving it two soft knocks before opening it with a strong push.

The person behind the desk looked up, obviously startled and clearly annoyed by the sudden opening of the door.

"Hey," she said in greeting, ignoring the annoyed look on her business partner's face. "Can I disturb you for a minute?"

"Not even sure why you're still asking for permission to disturb me when, clearly, you've already succeeded in doing so," Sakura answered with a slightly irritated voice.

Her friend seemed to be in a bad mood, and clearly didn't appreciate her barging in, but Minjoo still sauntered towards her.

"Why are you here?"

"Kkura-ya..." she began, pushing her bottom lip forward.

The expression on Sakura's face changed a little. It definitely softened a bit, although she was trying hard not to show it with the way she was glaring at her. "What do you want?"

Minjoo let out a sigh, unsure how to begin. "I'm scared," she finally said, looking anywhere but at her.

The look of concern on Sakura's face has now become evident. Softly, she said, "Take a seat."

"I'm really scared," she repeated, her body slumping on the sofa in the middle of the room.

After taking a look at the time, Sakura stood up from her desk, sat beside Minjoo, and proceeded to pat her back without saying anything.

"I-I'm scared. What if it doesn't work out? What if I end up regretting it?"

Minjoo was obviously buckling under the pressure of work and relationship, and Sakura was aware of it. She knew her friend too well.

The latter could feel her friend tensing up, almost on the verge of getting a panic attack. "Minjoo, look at me," she commanded.

Minjoo obliged, finally allowing the tears to slowly cascade down her cheeks.

"I know you're scared to make the wrong decision," Sakura decided to voice out her thoughts. "But decisions are rarely permanent. Circumstances change and decisions can change in a blink of an eye. You just need to make do with what you have now."

Minjoo couldn't help but sob loudly. Her emotions came in waves and wracked her body. She felt helpless. Lost. Almost as if she was back to the child she once were. 

Sakura wouldn't let her friend lose control. "Listen to me. I know it's hard, but sometimes we need to take risks. Who knew I'd end up working here in Korea after graduation instead of going back home to my family in Japan as what I've initially planned? But, guess what, I took the risk, thinking that if this decision doesn't work out, then I'd just have to make another one. It worked out, and I'm happy. If I didn't take this leap, it would have been the biggest regret of my life."

A shiver ran down Minjoo's spine. She let out another loud sob before looking at Sakura directly in the eye. "It's not that easy."

"I know. Nothing's easy in this world, Minjoo-yah. You know that, too. You can weigh the pros and cons all you like. Play out all the possible scenarios and whatnots. Let your mind race. But, remember, the most important thing in making a decision is to wait until you are in a calm frame of mind. In that way, you can make the right decision that will leave everybody happy in the end."

She didn't mean to, but a scoff escaped her lips. "Everybody happy," she repeated.

Sakura clearly understood her friend's skepticism. "Yes," she insisted, pointing an index finger at her. "If not everybody, then at least a decision that will make 'you' happy."

 

 

 

Minjoo was back in her own office, the last statement from Sakura still ringing in her ears. Concurrently, her girlfriend's dimpled cheeks crossed her mind.

Immediately, her gaze landed on the framed photo carefully p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter