Chapter Two

Please Stay, Don't Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were a billion different things that could have happened that day, but Minjoo never thought that meeting her childhood best friend again after ten years at an interview would be one of those things.

"How do you greet someone you haven't seen in a long time, anyway?" Minjoo had complained in the car, recalling the awful moment when she couldn't decide whether to say hi or just shut up the moment she realized that she was looking at Ahn Yujin.

"Should I have said I can't believe it's been ten years, and then gave her a hug, or would it have been better if I just pretended I had amnesia and said sorry, I can't remember you?"

"Minjoo!"

"What?" Minjoo asked innocently.

Sakura was flabbergasted. "How could you think of such a thing? She was your best friend. You haven't seen each other for 10 years, but you've been together for 14 years before that."

"Actually, just about 12 years," she replied half-heartedly. "Our parents met when I was already two and she was in her mom's belly."

"Oh my god. Get out. I really hate you sometimes."

"Fine. I'm sorry. So what should I do now?"

Sakura gave her a sideway glance. "You got her number. Text her. You need to meet so you can decorate her house, anyway."

"But what should I say?"

"How about you start by saying hi?"

Minjoo felt defeated, but despite the weird feeling in her stomach, she knew that she has to talk to Yujin one way or another.

The whole drive home, Minjoo had to listen to her friend and business partner talk about how she first met Yujin on the show, even going as far as saying that the young host looked particularly gorgeous that day in a suit.

Minjoo had to admit, her childhood best friend indeed grew up beautifully.

 

Two days later, Minjoo and Yujin finally managed to communicate and set up a meeting in the afternoon to talk about decorating the latter's house. Although, both of them knew that the meeting would be more than that.

The two decided to meet at a hanok-themed cafe right in the center of the city, which Yujin recommended. With lacquered natural wood, the cafe holds the unique characteristics of a traditional Korean house. It also has windows that let natural light in. Minjoo immediately fell in love with its distinctive charm.

"Sorry I'm late."

Minjoo looked up from her drink to see Yujin hurrying to sit down on the seat across her. 

Once she was settled in her seat, Yujin added, "I had to wait for someone to bring me my car."

For a split second, Minjoo wondered who was that someone who failed to bring Yujin's car on time, but the thought vanished as soon as it came.

"It's okay," she replied. "I hope it's also okay that I already ordered my drink."

"That's fine."

Yujin nodded her head too enthusiastically that it made Minjoo chuckle.

"W-w-why are you laughing?" the younger girl asked, clearly confused.

Minjoo continued to chuckle. "You seem nervous and now you're stuttering. Relax, Yujin. I know that we haven't seen each other in a long time, but I grew up just fine. I don't bite."

Yujin's eyes widened, obviously not expecting to witness so much gut and confidence this late in the afternoon.

With a deep breath, the younger girl lifted her head and looked at Minjoo straight in the eye. "I'm not."

"It's okay. I'm a bit nervous, too."

Yujin suddenly felt annoyed.

"You? Nervous? You got some nerves all right."

Minjoo sighed, and then frowned. This wasn't how she expected their meeting to go.

"Look, I'm sorry. I may seem overconfident to you, but I'm nervous as hell. I don't know how to approach you. We haven't exactly been friends since that day I told you we were moving. On top of that, I know how much you hate me."

Yujin only looked at Minjoo without saying anything. The latter thought that she said something wrong again, so she decided to remain mum and just wait for the other to talk.

After what seemed like a long stretch of time—actually only a minute or so—Yujin eventually spoke, so soft that Minjoo could barely hear her.

"No wonder you're acting strange. Were you even listening that day?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter