Chapter Five

Please Stay, Don't Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin could not relax. She'd been pacing back and forth in her living room for quite a while now, gripping her phone tightly as if it would sprout wings and fly away.

Ever since she got home last night, all she could think about was the conversation she had with Wonyoung, who had been pleasurable to talk to and given her great advice.

Yujin no doubt enjoyed Wonyoung's company despite their bad start that she wouldn't mind hanging out with her again. They had dinner at an Italian restaurant—it turned out the tall girl really likes pasta—and they even went out for a walk, which led to Yujin opening up and harking back to moments from ten years ago.

"Ahhh! Whatever. I'm doing it now," she shouted to the empty living room.

Picking up her phone, she quickly looked up a certain number and dialed it. It rang four times before a voice finally answered.

"Hello? Yujin?"

Now, what? Yujin didn't really think this through. She wanted to talk to her, but—

"Are you there?" the voice on the other line inquired, interrupting her thoughts.

"Y-yes. Yes, I'm here. Is she..."

"Do you need to speak to her? We ran out of milk, so she went out to buy one." There was some sizzling noises in the background as if the person on the other line was in the kitchen frying food while talking to her on the phone.

Yujin heard one loud sizzle before the other person continued, "She left her phone, but she'll be back in a couple of minutes. Would you like me to tell her to call you back?"

"Yes, please. If you don't mind." Yujin relaxed, thinking she would have time to know what to say by then. "Thanks."

"No prob. I'll make sure she knows that you called."

As soon as the call ended, Yujin let out a long sigh. Now, what? She asked herself again.

When she opened up to Wonyoung, she allowed herself to be susceptible to all emotional attacks. She hates being vulnerable, but there was something about last night—it could be the pleasant weather, or the baked apple smell coming from the trees, or the way the moon glowed—that made her unlatch the gate and granted Wonyoung permission to probe. 

Whatever it was, she knew that Wonyoung was there to help sort out her feelings. She wished things were simpler, that life didn't leave her with so much explaining to do, but it is what it is, and she's now ready to face whatever life throws at her. Especially when it's about her.

Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone's display suddenly lit up and she saw a familiar face on the screen. The particular photo never fails to make her heart jump.

"Hello," she answered nervously, hugging a pillow to muffle the sound of her heart pounding in her chest.

"Hi," said the person on the other line. It sounded sweet, like honey being drizzled onto buttered pancakes. "I was told that you were trying to reach me. I forgot my phone when I went out. Sorry."

"No. I'm sorry for disturbing you. I know it's Sunday and—"

"No," Minjoo interrupted her. "I've been meaning to call you, too."

She what now? Yujin instantly shook her head. Okay. Stop. Don't get your hopes up.

"I need to see the architecture of your house, the rooms and all, so we can start working on the design," Minjoo continued.

Of course. She knew it. She's her interior designer after all. Yujin felt disappointed, but she kind of expected it. "I can email you some pictures," she suggested.

"I was hoping I could visit it in person."

Oh. Okay. Now that's unexpected. "S-sure," she replied, but it was far from what she was feeling. This was the most unsure she had been.

"Cool. I can drop by today before lunch. Would that be okay?"

"Yes! Absolutely!" Okay, Yujin. Seriously. Calm down.

"Great." Minjoo's soft laugh traveled through the line. "Anyway, you tried to reach me first. Were you going to tell me something?"

"I-uh-er-I..." Get a grip, will you?

Minjoo waited.

"I'll just tell you later." Can I sound any dumber?

"Oh. Okay. Sure."

Yujin was a mess, and she knew it. I'll speak to Wonyoung after this call, she told herself. "I'll just text you the address, then. See you later, Minjoo."

"Okay, Yujin. See you!"

Sheet. Sheet. Sheet. Yujin had to scream as soon as the call came to an end. What should she do now? She knew how much time she already wasted during those years that they were apart, so she couldn't chicken out now. She has to make a move. Otherwise, she'd lose Minjoo again. She didn't know, however, that it would be this hard, with joy and nerves coinciding and bringing out all the butterflies.

"Wonyoung, I need your help," Yujin pleaded. 

"Eh? This early?" It sounded like Wonyoung was still in bed.

"Yes!" Yujin sounded like she was in the verge of crying. "I feel so weak."

"Whoa." Wonyoung laughed out loud. "Did you just admit that you're weak?"

"Yes. I'm weak. I'm weak when it comes to her."

"What is this?" Wonyoun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter