Anniversary

JJ Drabbles

It’s nearing midnight when Jinyoung decides to put down his book for the night. “Hyung,” he calls softly, smiling down at Jaebum, who’s half-asleep with his head in Jinyoung’s lap and Nora settled comfortably on his stomach.

“Hmm,” Jaebum hums drowsily. “M’ awake.”

“Sure you are,” Jinyoung says, smothering a laugh. “You look so alert and refreshed.”

“Leave me alone, I’m tired,” Jaebum says, and his eyes are still closed, but he’s smiling now.

“I know,” Jinyoung says, brushing a thumb across Jaebum’s cheek. “You work too hard, Jaebummie.”

Jaebum brings the hand that isn’t idly Nora’s ears up to hold Jinyoung’s, his eyes finally fluttering open as he meets Jinyoung’s gaze. “You say it like you don’t do exactly the same.”

Jinyoung is saved from having to come up with a clever response by the sound of the clock telling them that a new day has begun. “Looks like it’s already the 20th.”

Jaebum’s eyes form little crescents as he smiles up at Jinyoung, and even with ten years of knowing each other, seven years as a duo, it hasn’t been enough time for Jinyoung to get used to being looked at the way Jaebum always looks at him. “Happy anniversary, Nyoungie.”

And Jinyoung can’t help leaning down to kiss Jaebum’s forehead lightly, smiling back with just as much affection. “Happy anniversary, hyung.”

(Later today, the album will come out and the seven of them will begin a new cycle of long hours and no breaks. There won’t be time to think about the anniversary of the debut of two teenage boys who started out with nothing but a dream and each other.

But right now, they get this moment, just for the two of them, smiling at each other in the comfort of Jaebum’s apartment, surrounded by the books they’re reading and the cats they love - and that’s enough.)