The Mirage

The Chains of Lilith

Jihoon - The Cliffs to Trehir

 

“Forgotten by men and cursed by God, 
Those who look, shall find none,”

 

"You're beautiful."

 

"And you're strange."

 

“Death will follow,
And to hell you will all be gone,”

 

"I'm Soonyoung. It's a pleasure to meet you Jihoon."

 

"Well, it is not a pleasure for me. Now get away from here and stay away from me."

 

“Only whom she betrayed,
“Shall seek her out.”

 

"You said you travel the world, is that why you are so good in reading foreign scriptures?"

 

"Yes"

 


"Soonyoung, how in the realms are you able to read those?" Jihoon has never whipped his head so fast in this lifetime before, that is until he heard Wonwoo, with full exasperation asked how can Soonyoung read ancient foreign scriptures.

 

"I uh, you can't read it? All of you?" Soonyoung asked innocently, looking around as if hoping someone would say they can. 

 

Frankly, in Jihoon's opinion, Soonyoung looked and sounded dumb after asking his stupid question. However, he didn't have the heart to say it so bluntly after considering the fact that the man almost died to save him. "Soonyoung, we wouldn't have asked you if we knew how to read it." Jihoon opted to reply with a stoic face after seeing how dumbfounded the others were.

 

"Oh uh, I-I don't know. For some reason I can just read it like our normal scriptures." Soonyoung replied, looking confused but proud of himself at the same time.

 

"Wow hyung, I didn't even knew you can read." Chan quipped behind his older brother innocently. Jihoon almost bursted out a laugh if not for the fact that they were in a serious situation. However, Junhui and Wonwoo on the other hand were on the verge of tears whilst laughing their guts out while, Minghao was having the hardest time of his life controlling his laughter and reducing it to quiet giggles.

 

"What language is this even? This looks way too ancient for me." Mingyu tried to divert the attention back to the writings on the stone, although he was suppressing a wide grin as well. The tall nether climbed down from his salamander and scraped some of the mosses to clear out the writings.

 

"This looks like Herbergan. I can actually make out some of the words but I can't read it easily like Soonyoung does." Jeonghan said as he climbs down from his cockatrice to look closely at the writings.

 

"Me too, I do think it is Herbergan." Seungkwan added. The young astral, albeit still sporting a few broken ribs, went down with a little groan from his beast as well and ran a hand on the stone. 

 

"It looks familiar. I've probably seen it somewhere." The younger continued, still looking at the scriptures.

 

"The writings are the same as the ones that were framed on father's study, brother. It is also alike to the writings on that framed scroll at the grand stairs back home." Jeonghan supplied, and if Jihoon looks back, he does remember that long scroll of ancient writings displayed at the Yoon’s. That would be the first thing a guest would see the moment they come through the ginormous doors of the manor. He also remembers during his history lessons that the Yoon’s are descendants of a secluded clan found in the highest cliffs of a mountain beyond the three realms. This clan is called the Herberga, or the mountain seers.

 

"Well, that explains why both of you can read it." Jihoon added. "Although that doesn't really explain how Soonyoung can read it, still-"

 

"Maybe I'm secretly intelligent all these times." This time, Jihoon couldn’t help himself but scoff sarcastically. 

 

"Hyung, you might have aced your ancient incantation studies, but the rest of the middle grounds knew you flunked the rest." Minghao sighed, looking unamused at the older male. Jihoon can hear Seungcheol suppressing a laugh behind him, and Seungcheol was not one to laugh at someones misfortune. For Jihoon knew the man has been carrying a heavy load on his chest for some time now and knows how bad it feels. However, the crimson face of the middle grounder and the unexpected pout that marred his face might have lightened the mans heart allowing him to now smile and grin.  

 

And as if Minghao’s remark was not enough, Wonwoo decided to add more to it. "Soonyoung, even I in the nether realm knew about it. Auntie came down to drink some tea with mother whilst joking about how you miraculously were able to pass your incantation studies.

 

“Yah Jeon Wonwoo, aren’t you supposed to be on my side? Why are you throwing me off the boat like this?” Soonyoung finally whined.

 

“Kwon Soonyoung, you and I being close doesn’t settle the score you have with me.” Wonwoo added, and Jihoon wonders what kind of relationship they have to casually speak like that to one another. Is it akin to Jeonghan and Seungcheol? Or is it more than that, Jihoon can only wonder.

 

“Alright, we can talk about Soonyoung’s failed tests later, we must first deal with whatever is written on that rock.” Jihoon let a small smile escape his lips as he looked at the middle grounder. Soonyoung was gaping, the look of unbelief marring his face after hearing Seungcheol’s words. He looked stupid but on the other hand, adorable and Jihoon is having a hard time taking Seungcheol seriously with that look on the other’s face. So, with the most stoic face he can put, the astral reached out to Soonyoung’s chin and closed his mouth hastily. “Close your mouth, you look stupid.” He then said.

 

With the distracting look of Soonyoung out of the way, the astral was finally able to listen to the others carefully. 

 

“I’m sure what ever is written on this rock is a warning, but the thing is we have no idea what it is warning us though?” Jihoon heard Jisoo, quietly muse in front of him, though most of them heard what the other said clearly.

 

“Maybe there is a hidden treasure inside the forest en route to the town? Or maybe there are some demon beast preying on travelers?” Seokmin answered and everybody went silent. They were trying to weigh the ideas of his younger brother.

 

“Or there must be something within the town? Remember Hansol’s dream? The girl was wearing a necklace, right? There must be some kind of connection?” His younger brother added, Jihoon couldn’t be prouder of him.

 

“That makes sense. If that stone really is a shard of Lilith’s soul it might cause harm to anything that holds it if it is handled in the wrong way.” Seungcheol finally said.

 

“And if it is within the town, maybe this warning is used to ward people away?” Mingyu added, however, before anybody can give their opinion, the unmistakable stomping of hooves where heard. In fear that who ever were approaching are accomplices of Lilith, the heroes together with their beast blended themselves through the thick forest and observed the new comers quietly.

 

A few moments later, what seemed to be just a few stomping of hooves changed into a parade of people. The heroes watched in silence as a white horse drags a golden cart which on top of it carries what seemed to be a golden palanquin. After it, a number of various men and women followed. They were all clad in long white hooded capes, each of them carrying various sizes of white candle. They were mumbling incantations far from any language Jihoon had learn in his lifetime. The heroes eyed the procession curiously as it went deeper inside the forest. All of them feeling uneasy from the strange sight. 

 

“Now to be honest, a procession is the last thing Im expecting in the middle of the forest.” Jeonghan’s voice echoed inside Jihoon as the older linked them all through his channeling.

 

“I never even expected to see one, especially inside a forest.” Seungcheol commented.

 

“Trust me, we live in treehouses and not once did we do a procession in the middle of the forest. Not to mention they are even dragging a palanquin with them makes me wonder what in the realms are they doing?” Jun added to the older nethers comment.

 

“They are sacrificing whoever is in that palanquin.” Silence wrapped the place as soon as Soonyoung left the remark, obvious dreading laced within his tone and facial expression. Then, all eyes were on him in an instant, in every gaze was a mixture of shock, fear, and confusion all perfectly melded in one.

 

“Hyung, what do you mean sacrifice?” Seungkwan almost shouted through the channel, there was distress lingering on his tone.

 

“Oh Queen of the night, Mother of darkness”
“We offer thyself onto thee”
“Oh dear Mother, full of power and greatness” 
“Blesseth this town with your absolute prowess”
“Oh Queen of the night, Mother of darkness”
“We offer thee this human sacrifice”
“Oh dear Mother, full of power and greatness” 
“Blesseth this town with your absolute prowess”

 

“I have no idea how I understood it but that’s what those incantations meant.” Soonyoung added after relaying everything he heard from the people joining the procession. Everybody was out of words once again, pondering every single thing Soonyoung had said.

 

“If Soonyoung is right, the chants that they said mentions a town.” Jihoon murmured through the channel pondering for a few moments before making a connection. 

 

“Wonwoo are there any towns other than Trehir around the forest?” Jihoon asked after scrutinizing the words translated by Soonyoung. Jihoon watched the nether fumble for a bit with the crumpled map on his satchel, then Wonwoo slowly lifted his head and shook it left to right.

 

“Well, there seems to be none.” The nether then spoke through the channel.

 

"All I see after it are endless expanses of trees, then a big mass of water that seems to go beyond the map.” Wonwoo added after taking another look.

 

An explosion was then heard before anybody spoke. Deep within the forest numerous screams of anguish filled the air as explosions came after the other. Jihoon and the others allowed their senses to be on full alert as they all unanimously decided to make way inside the forest. Because albeit good or not, those people still need help and none of them are willing to deprive help to those people if needed. After all, it was a promise that they had made.

 

With his blades hovering behind him, Jihoon followed the others as they rode their beast through the forest. They hastily made their way inside as they followed the screaming voices. However, as they continuously made way to the forest, Jihoon and the rest of the astrals felt something strange.

 

“Am I the only one who feels it’s getting harder to breathe? My chest hurts” Seungkwan complained as he heaved a deep breath.

 

“I was about to ask as well.” Seokmin added as he takes a deep breath as well.

 

“This place is very impure. Yet somehow, the dark miasma doesn’t show.” Jisoo finally spoke, answering the complaints of the younger astrals.

 

“Cast your cleansing spells, it will get harder and harder for you to breathe if you don’t.” Jisoo added. 

With their cleansing spell activated, they were finally able to breathe properly again and continued to follow the screams that were permeating inside the forest.

 

As they continuously followed the screams, the heroes were finally led to a big boulder that seems to be covering a clearing where the people are probably located. Without any doubt, Jihoon and the rest flew into the clearing ready to help and fight whatever it was causing the chaos.

 

However, what Jihoon saw the moment he went through was not what he expected it to be. 

 

There was no clearing. There was no chaos. There were no screaming people, and most especially, he was alone.

 

He was alone in the middle of a room that moments later turned into a huge banquet hall full of people. It was room full of people who were looking at him like he has done something wrong, something so abominable that there was a look of disgust and hatred marred on each of their faces. 

 

“He doesn’t look like a noble?”

 

Suddenly Jihoon is home and back to the times when he hated himself.

 

“Is that the heir of the Lees’? he looks weak.”

 

Jihoon felt his chest constrict. The familiar feeling of shame is slowly eating him.

 

“That small child will not be able to handle the pressures of being a noble.”

 

Jihoon slowly closed his eyes and covered his ears as he willed himself to shut the voices. He won’t let them get to him this time.

 

“I think his younger brother is more suited to be the heir.” 

 

Jihoon tried hard to not listen but the murmurs heightened in volume and tears slowly dropped from his eyes.

 

“You’re beautiful”

 

Jihoon opened is eyes to a familiar looking boy who had hazel brown hair and slightly slanted green eyes. His cheeks full and red from the very intense smile he was showing him even though he looks a bit embarrassed.

 

Hearing the words from the young boy stopped Jihoon’s tears, suddenly everything was quiet. The voices stopped talking and the only thing that matters is the young boy in front of him. He kneeled down so that he was in the same level of the boy. The boy then immediately made his way to him and reached his face with his chubby little hands to wipe his tears.

 

“You’re beautiful” the young boy repeated. Jihoon finally looked directly at the boy, gazing at the familiar green orbs that makes him feel safe.

 

“Soonyoung” Jihoon uttered unconsciously. He didn’t new the reason why he called the boy like that but he felt compelled to do it. After hearing the other’s name come out of his lips, the boy smiled even brighter. Then, his image started to fade away and darkness slowly covered him.


“Jihoon! Jihoon wake up! Im here! Hey!” Jihoon felt his eyes slowly open. He was confused. When did he fell asleep and why is he asleep?

 

“What happened?” the astral asked, still feeling out of it.

 

“Thank goodness you’re awake. I think we were trapped in a mirage earlier. I got out of mine because you were screaming my name so loudly.” Soonyoung replied as he looked down to where Jihoon was. It was at that moment when Jihoon realized that Soonyoung was cradling him on his chest, his arms wrapped tightly around his body and Jihoon was holding onto his clothes as if it was his only chance of living.

 

“Where are the others?” Jihoon asked as he scrambles out of the other’s embrace.

 

“That’s what I’m wondering, I couldn’t find the others, even Chan.”

 


Facts about the Fic:

  • Herberga – they are known as the mountain seers. This clan lives high above the mountains of what they now called as the Black Rock. Many knows about their existence but not much is known about their culture or even the exact location of the clan.  
           

This update is brought to you by "Soonyoung's furry agenda" and "Horanghae song"(seriously that song is still playing on my head, and whoever edited it on that bollywood movie I swear!!!)

Also, this was supposed to be posted hours ago, however I had to finish summing up all of my students grades (honestly I think I have mastered the art of writing the number 7 because of it).

Anyways I hope y'all like this update. This is for all my soonhoon homies out there.. Byeeee