The Monster of Syn

The Chains of Lilith

Seungcheol - Weeping Woodlands - Shadow Lands

 

Seungcheol couldn't be more grateful when he heard Jeonghan talking telepathically to Seungkwan. The nether has been worried sick for his younger brother and also for the younger astral. After losing them in the thick mist, Seungcheol did his best to not lose his mind. Especially after seeing Jeonghan cry his heart out at Jisoo. He needed to be calm and collected even if he was having an emotional turmoil in order to think of ways on how to get his brother back. 

"I'm sorry hyungs, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault, I'm so stupid. It should've been me that the monster took not the hyungs." Seungcheol can still remember how Chan cried as he slumped to the ground on his knees. The young boy was shivering, impending trauma about to be etched on his being for the rest of eternity. His older brother did his very best to calm him down, apologizing to Seungcheol and Jeonghan for the mess his brother did. And Jeonghan, even if he was a sobbing mess accepted both of their apologies.

"We're going to look for them" Seungcheol replied through gritted teeth. As of that moment, he still couldn't really accept both of the Kwon's apology. He knew that Hansol was part to blame for choosing to run after the astral, but if not for Chan's naivety, none of this would've have happened. 

"But we need to keep going, it is not safe here. Soon, demon beasts will start to gather here because of the ruckus that we made. We need to look for a safer place to plan out how to get them back." The nether continued. His eyes were glowing red, nether senses fully activated and the slight resentment of losing his brother slowly seeping out. Feeling the tension, none of his comrades uttered a word as they stood up and concentrated their energies to locate a proper and safe place to hide out.

That night, the rest of them did their very best to look for Hansol and Seungkwan. The astrals did what they're best, channeling their telepathic energies to call out for Seungkwan. While the middle grounders scoured every nook and cranny for any positive miasma that their energies would allow them. The nethers however, were left to just build a protective barrier. Seungcheol felt bad about himself that moment. He wanted to look for Hansol, be there for him and save him. But his abilities weren't really of any use for them as of the moment. While a barrier is good for protection, what use does it has to protect someone you can't even find. He very badly wanted to run after Hansol, but fate and the circumstances that they were into did not allow him to do so. The moment that Hansol disappeared into the mist, a flock of scerows (shadow crows) started to attack them, halting the nether from his steps to fend for himself and the others as well. After the place finally calmed down, the older was only filled with fear, anger and worry because his younger brother was nowhere to be found.

But now, after hearing Jeonghan converse with Seungkwan, Seungcheol almost sobbed. The possibility of getting his brother back was tugging his heartstrings to the point that it was crumbling his stoic façade. The nether immediately held the astrals right hand in order to communicate with Seungkwan as well. They have done this many times years ago that both of them didn't need to adjust as their energies mingled with one another.

Hearing the ragged breathing of Seungkwan made the blood in Seungcheol boil. Whoever or whatever is holding the two better pray to their god because Seungcheol had no plans in stopping himself from unleashing everything he had. 

The nether let the palms of his hands softly graze the astrals cheeks to steer Jeonghan, who has his eyes closed to look at him. Seungcheol's breath hitched as Jeonghan looked at him, because as tired as he looks from looking for both of their brothers, he is still the most beautiful. Even with his messy hair and crumpled clothes, to Seungcheol's eyes he is still the most beautiful person that just looking at him lessened the heavy feeling of losing Hansol in his chest. Without a word, as both of their eyes meet, Jeonghan suddenly clung at Seungcheol. With the astrals arms draped around on his neck tightly, the nether allowed himself to bask in the warmth he deprived himself years ago and hugged the astral back with as much force. 

"We'll get them back, I promise." Seungcheol murmured as he nuzzles the top of the astrals hair. The astral nodded and slowly, the tight hug loosen. They stood up and gathered the rest, explaining to them about their discovery. A glint of hope flashing on their faces after hearing the news.

Still connected to Seungkwan, the rest of the astrals strengthen their connection and readied themselves to risk their lives and fly their way through the blinding fog of black miasma.

"Wait, before we go, I just want to try this spell." Wonwoo suddenly intervened and Seungcheol almost screamed at his younger friend that it was not the time for his experiments, yet he did his best to stop.

"If this spell succeeds, it will be very beneficial." The younger nether added.

"Just tell us Wonwoo." Seungcheol spat back harshly. He really didn't mean it but time was ticking for all of them.

"Alright, so I just found a spell that will help us see through this dark miasma. It's a cleansing spell from the ancient warriors who attacked the lair of Lilith and almost won. This spell will allow us to see things clearly through the dark miasma just like how us, nethers see through the dark. It consumes minimal energy and will greatly help our mobility in this forest." There was silence, everybody knew the repercussions if a spell is done the wrong way.

"I'll try it." With nothing but thoughts of saving his brother, Seungcheol volunteered himself. 

"Hyung I need you to close your eyes and no matter what happens, never open them until I tell you." When his eyes were tightly clamped, Wonwoo started to chant a language that Seungcheol can recognize as a language from one of their well-known ancestors, the Shibka's. His body started to feel light, then his eyes began to cool down. He was starting to feel good, the nether felt like a weight was being lifted from his chest.

"Hyung open your eyes and try to look around." Seungcheol pensively opened his eyes, unsure if the spell really worked or not. With his eyes wide open and noticing that there seems to have been no change on how he sees the things around him, the nether looked around the things outside the cave and was shaken from the things he saw. 

The entirety of the forest is lush and full of Kalypdry trees, a clear sign that dark miasma is abundant around the place. Bones of different shadow beasts lies on the forest floor but it was not only it. Other than the varying sizes of the different bones of the shadow beast, unmistakable bones of human and tiny animals scattered around the place as well.

"Did it work hyung?" Wonwoo called out at Seungcheol when the elder remained stiffened whilst staring outside the cave.

"It is, it's working. I am just baffled after seeing how much of a wreck this place is." The older nether replied, a sad tone lacing his voice. Seungcheol flinched as he felt a hand on his shoulder, the nether turned and saw Jeonghan smiling at him encouragingly.

"I'll try it too." Jeonghan said and the rest of his comrades followed after him, and even if Wonwoo used a lot of his energy and was very tired, he did his best to activate the spell for all of them.

With that, they glided through the misty forest with renewed sight. Each cell of their bodies was determined to look for their missing companions.


Seungcheol felt relieved as he saw a glimpse of his brother from afar. Hansol was alive, he was breathing, moving, literally fighting. The momentary feeling of relief was washed away in a few moments though, after Seungcheol saw what hideous monster was Hansol facing off. It also did not help to ease the dread he was feeling the moment his eyes landed at the unmoving lying body of Seungkwan on the ground.

As the scream of Hansol resonated through the air, Seungcheol can only pray to God that he allowed him to flap his wings faster. He was so close, so close that he can already see the strange light covering his brother, yet he was still too far to reach out to him and get him out of the way as the humongous beast opened its mouth. 

As Seungcheol screamed his younger brothers name, a few weapons swiftly passed by him and the screeching of the demon beast filled the air. In shock, the nether looked back and was even more surprised to see that in the heat of the moment, as Seungcheol screamed out to Hansol helplessly, Mingyu and Chan gave all they have and threw in their soul weapons directly at the now thrashing monster.

Looking back at his companions, Seungcheol courageously looked at them and nodded to suggest attacking the monster. With swift movements, they delve down and mostly attacked the thrashing beast while Jisoo, Minghao, and Junhui decided to fight off the other creature that accompanied the giant demon beast.

Collectively attacking, they decided to target the monster’s chest. Thinking that there might be a heart that will greatly weaken the beast once it is pierced or damaged. 

With their long weapons suitable enough to be in a good distance to fight the demon beast, Mingyu and Wonwoo teamed up to distract the monster. They were also accompanied by the Lee brothers who both have the abilities to let their soul weapons hover in mid-air. Seokmin started to get the monsters attention by letting both of his circular blades cut through the slimy skin of the giant creature. Jihoon then, with a whip of his fingers controlled all of his twelve blades to pierce the beasts left eye. After the brothers combined attack, Wonwoo flew up then dove down with his scythe tightly held in his right hand and slashed a deep gash on the monster’s face. Mingyu then followed by throwing himself with his lance and burying it deep on the demon beasts right eye causing for a spurt of green blood to bathe the nether in the process.

With the demon beast distracted enough from the attacks directed on its upper regions, Seungcheol, Jeonghan, Soonyoung, and Chan decided to make their move. With two short double swords good for close combats, Jeonghan jumped and ripped open the flesh near the beast’s neck to its chest before he was thrown harshly to the ground. Seungcheol wanted to run over and check up on Jeonghan but he stopped himself when he heard Soonyoung call out his name. Then the nether without second thought partnered up with the middle grounder to open wider the gash Jeonghan left for them. Seungcheol held up his burning sword with both hands and cleanly sliced open the right side of the monster’s chest, exposing its ribs. Soonyoung on the other hand held both of his bone saws on each hand and rived the skin on the left side of the monster’s chest so deep that it even broke some of the demonic creatures’ bones. As their final hit, Chan charged swiftly and stabbed the strange looking muscle seeming to move in a beat.

"Fools! You're all fools." Seungcheol didn't have the luxury of time to analyze what nonsense was the man that Junhui and Minghao dealing with meant before Chan flew and landed on the rocky river banks of the syn river.

There was a momentary silence before Chan slowly lifted his bloody hand and pointed at the thrashing demon beast. "Something's growing out of it" the young boy added.

The nether swiftly snapped his neck back to the direction of the giant demon beast only to see another head growing out of it. 

Seungcheol only heaved a deeper breath once he heard Mingyu gasp from above him and heard Jihoon murmuring in disbelief and annoyance about how the beast is growing another pair of eyes after doing their best to blind it.

 

Facts about the Fic:

  • Scerows – are demon beasts that looks exactly like crows other than the fact that these creatures have purple glowing eyes. They hunt in flocks, and was once feared by the humans of the old times as the black cloud of death since they look like black clouds if gazed upon by the eye. Once scerows spotted their prey, they will form a cyclone like formation and dive down to trap it, leaving a heap of bones once they are done.
  • Shibka – they are one of the main tribes that the modern nethers are known to have come from. This tribe is known to have fought demon beasts down until the gates of hell just to make sure that they shut them down for at least a good few years before they start to attack innocent people again.         

 

 

Lol I almost did not update because I still have a mountain of work to do. But screw me since I need stress relief. Hope y'all enjoy this and have a good day or night. It's literally 1:33 in the morning as I'm posting this.. Byeeeee