The Stalein

The Chains of Lilith

 

Hansol - Weeping Woodlands - Shadow Lands

Hansol yawned again for what feels like the umpteenth time while perched atop dorogon, his golden winged salamander. It was early in the morning and the sun is not even seen in the horizon when he and Seungcheol rode out to the northwest borders. He was still sleepy and would like to complain about it, but then remembered that what he was doing was for the safety of his people and not because his brother just wanted to train him.

 

"Hyung are we close?" The younger nether asked. To be honest, he hasn't been in this part of the borders. The north has been relatively calm and not much demon beast has caused any problems that needed the actual nobles assistance.

 

"Just a little more. We're very close now, just try not to fall off of dorogon." His older brother answered snickering. They were high up the sky with the sun barely peeking the horizon, a few feet above the tallest trees. Hansol can already sniff out the rancid smell of the shadow lands so that means they're probably close.

 

Seungcheol then suddenly dove down to the dense forest. Taken aback, Hansol followed his older brother not knowing the reason. There was no particular clearing to land so Hansol was baffled. To his surprise though, he was greeted by the noble astrals. They were already enjoying the first bits of sunshine seeping through the thick leaves. 

 

Hansol almost fell off of dorogon. Seungcheol stumbled as he unmounted from saladrae, his own blood red winged salamander.

 

"Seungcheol" Hansol heard someone mention the name of his older brother with a slightly breathless voice. When he turned to where the voice came from, he was welcomed by the warm smiles from both of the Yoon's. Hansol stood rigidly like Seungcheol, he has no idea why is his brother was as speechless as him but he can't really seem to care. Normally, he would already pester his brother, asking him about his condition and all. But this time his mind was occupied with only two things, Seungkwan's smile and the fact that his glowing under the first burst of sunlight.

 

Hansol knows for sure that it comes with being a nether to not like overly bright and sparkly things, but at that moment he was ready to make an exception. Seungkwan smiling at him brightly, as if he was genuinely happy to see him was blinding for Hansol. Yet he was ready to take it.

 

Seungkwan was an exemption.

 

Someone cleared their throat, pulling both of the brothers out of their trance like state. "Hello Seungcheol, hello Hansol. Didn't knew you would be here first before the middle grounders." Jisoo spoke, he was perched atop of a boulder leaning his weight to Lee Seokmin. They were also bathing under the sun, glowing as well.

 

"Nethers might not like early mornings, but I have responsibilities Jisoo. The earlier we find that river, the safer it will be for us." Seungcheol answered for the both of them and Jisoo only snickered leaning further to Seokmin's shoulder. His older brother then started to greet the other astral nobles starting with Jihoon, then Seokmin, then Seungkwan and lastly Seungkwan's older brother, Jeonghan. His older brothers gaze lasted a few moments longer at the long-haired male compared with the others. Hansol wondered about it, he will ask his brother why he had such a look of longingness, but not today. Hansol followed his older brother and greeted the other astral nobles one by one, then he saw Seungkwan coming over to him with a basket in hand. The nether felt excited, yesterday when the other gave him a basket it was full of round flat glittering bread. It was sweet and Hansol liked it, it was a shame that he wasn't able to finish it and left it at his quarters though.

 

"Well, we still need to wait for the rest. So, you might as well help yourselves and eat something before we go. Who knows when's the next meal." Jeonghan offered as Seungkwan walks up to their direction. The basket was halfway open when it reached both of the nethers. Hansol watched his brother took a peek at the contents of the basket. Seungcheol's eyes for a couple of seconds widened as he looks inside it before grabbing a simple piece of a fluffy looking bread. His older brother then mumbled a short thank you and gestured Hansol to take a piece as well. 

 

Hansol was taking his sweet time choosing a bread with the help of Seungwan and Seungcheol was already chewing the bread with what happens to have shredded meat inside, when Jisoo suddenly spoke. "You must be delighted Seungcheol, Jeonghan made your favorite extra special." Jeonghan whined a drawn-out version of Jisoo's name and the other only giggled. "How did they know hyungs favorite food?Even I have no idea what it is". Hansol wondered to himself, he would have wondered even more if not for his chocking on his food. 

 

He started to pat the older nethers back, after placing the moist bread back to the basket that Seungkwan was adamant he takes for he baked it. "Hyung are you alright?" Seungcheol only coughed at him in return and Hansol was getting concerned for him. Getting up to take their flask of water from their rucksacks, he halted from his tracks when he saw Jeonghan scurried to his brother and giving him some water to drink while mumbling incoherent curses to the astrals namely Jisoo and Jihoon who was snickering at the back. The older astrals looked very comfortable jesting with his brother that Hansol wonders about their relationship with him. He definitely needs to ask Seungcheol about it, but it can wait.

 

"Hansol, I think Jeonghan hyung can already help Seungcheol hyung. Why don't you sit here." Seungkwan was already seated atop of a rock, he patted the space beside him to signal the nether to sit. 

 

Hansol glanced back at his brother, and indeed Jeonghan, albeit a small distance away is still silently fussing over Seungcheol. "I-um yeah sure" Hansol then tried to sit on the rock without trying to fly using his wings, when he slipped. About to land face first on the rock, Hansol closed his eyes. But instead of crashing hard on the rocks cold surface, he landed on the soft pillowy feeling of feathers. When he opened his eyes all he saw was silver feathers. 

 

The lump of softness then slowly moved and Hansol almost slashed it into half if not for the reason that he was immediately placed right beside Seungkwan. 

 

"Don't be scared that's only Sehir, my cockatrice." The astral said with a gleeful smile. Hansol unconsciously smiled back, unable to resist the warmth radiating from the other. He then glanced down at the creature, to observe it. Cockatrice is not really something you would find in the nether and middle ground realms, he would only see a few of them during special occasions when some astral nobles decides to descend from their realms riding them. Hansol would only watch from afar as they unmount themselves on those big birdlike creatures and wonder what would feathers feel. Their bat like wings were out of question and their salamanders, even under their burning exteriors actually have soft and muscled skin. 

 

"He's feathers feel nice." Hansol blurted as he looked at the astral. A bright smile slowly crept on Seungkwan's face and Hansol felt his stomach churn in some good way. 

 

"Really? Thank you. I take care of him myself." The astral replied with his head bowed low and playing with the hem of his clothes.

 

Just as Hansol was about to take a first bite on his bread, the unmistakable flapping of wings accompanied with the sound of breaking twigs and flailing leaves halted him. 

 

Hansol was on high alert, but after making a quick glance around him he realized that no one looks threatened. Not even his brother. Looking up once more to the source of commotion, Hansol was once again bombarded with feathers, this time coming from the 4 majestic griffins the Middle Grounders were riding.

 

"Greetings my Lords!" High Lord Wen greeted, the rest of the middle grounders followed him. They were also offered with the same basket of bread by the astrals. The Middle Grounders were first hesitant in taking the food. But once High Lord Kwon got his first bite of the bread and kept gorging on it, the Middle Grounders started warming up a little.

 

Wonwoo and Mingyu arrived last, not a little longer after the Middle Grounders. They were given a few moments to also eat a few pieces of bread before they all mounted their winged beasts, which were the burning winged salamanders for the nethers, cockatrice for the astrals, and griffins for the middle grounders.  They did not fly up just like they did earlier but instead lay low and rode their beast on the ground. Hansol asked his brother why so, and Seungcheol simply replied that it's safer that way. No one would suspect that they are stopping Lilith, if no one saw them flying their way to the shadow lands.

 

The sun was past the horizon when they reached the shadow lands. The rancid smell of hell was the first thing that greeted them, then slowly as they came closer and closer the endless sight of kalypdry trees filled their vision. It was hard for Hansol to believe that the shadow lands were once as lush as the lands from the three realms. It was sad to see it was now only covered by endless rows of black leaves and thick thorny branches and twigs.

 

Before they entered the foggy forest of the weeping woodlands, Seungcheol halted them all first. "I am a leader of no one, but as the eldest here I would like to remind you all to be careful. Especially the younger ones. Also, before we do this, can we all promise to help one another no matter what happens?" Seungcheol asked as he looked around.

 

"I, for now on, devote my life to the destruction of Lilith and promise to help my friends no matter how torturous the situation may be." Jeonghan added as he had his right arm stretched in front of them, hands balled up tight but with his thumb jutting out. The eldest astral then gazed at Seungcheol, then at Jisoo and smiled.

 

"Just like the old times?" Hansol watched as Jisoo slotted his thumb inside Jeonghan's fist and how Seungcheol hesitantly held the astral's thumb by wrapping his own hand as well.

 

"Yeah, just like the old times." Jisoo replied while looking around as if encouraging the rest of them to follow. 

 

"I too, will follow!" Soonyoung announced and grasped Seungcheol's thumb. Jeonghan beamed a bright smile by the middle grounders action, coaxing the others to join as well. At the end, they formed a little circle. All connected tightly, bright smiles and brave hearts ready to fight for humanity.

 

 

 

 

As they entered the weeping woodlands, the unmistakable howling of the many shadow beast lurking in the foggy forest assaulted their ears. Things were hardly visible other than the thorny branches of the kalypdry trees near them. Unconsciously, Hansol held the reins of his burning salamander tighter. Right beside him the young nether heard Minghao mumble something under his breath with his eyes closed, when the middle grounder opened his eyes it was a shade greener. Hansol also felt the slight stirring at the back, it was probably Junhui taking his position. Then on their left, Chan, as young and inexperienced as he is bravely took his position in the outer side of the little huddle that they made and mumbled as spell that made his eyes a darker shade as well. At the front, a slight change was made too. It was now Soonyoung in front leading them inside instead of Seungcheol.

 

A few short moments all of the astrals eyes then started to glow. "We're now channeling, you can share your thoughts and talk without making any sound, nobody will hear us." Hansol jolted as he heard the voice of Jeonghan in his head, although very convenient, he's still not quite used to the communication the astrals are using.

 

As planned the four nethers position themselves to the spaces where they can provide a wider range of shield if needed. Hansol with little effort switched positions with Seokmin and was now right beside Jeonghan who was in the middle.

 

"Is everybody in their positions as planned?" t was now Seungcheol's voice booming inside Hansol's head. The question of his brother was then followed by a chorus of yeses. "Good, now all we need to do is to stay alert, Middle grounders you're our eyes now. We trust you all."

 

With that they all moved deeper through the forest, the middle grounders served as their eyes through the foggy haze by looking through the flow of living energy circulating in the forest. The astrals on the other hand, did not wane in channeling their telepathic abilities in order for the rest of them to speak freely about their thoughts. While the nethers stayed on high alert to give support and shielding to any of them if needed. All was well.

 

That was until they were near the river.

 

Hearing the unmistakable rushing of water, all of them perked up. It was only midday, they all estimated that it will take almost a day just to be near the river judging from the distance, but it looked like they calculated it wrong. After all, the 5 centuries year old map that was based from a thousand years ago before Lilith's rampage might've not have been the most accurate. 

 

"Soonyoung are you able to see the river?" Wonwoo’s voice echoed in Hansol's head.

 

Strangely, none. From the sound of it, we should at least see the dark energy flowing from it even from afar." Soonyoung answered in a slightly worried tone.

 

"I couldn't see anything as well, except-" Chan paused and everybody was silent. "A rabbit? There is a rabbit!. A well looking healthy rabbit! A normal rabbit!"

 

"There us indeed" Jun added. "But how is this possible? Just from the miasma fogging around this place, that thing will turn into a demon beast in just a few days after it is bornHow come a fully adult rabbit is hopping around looking or food all healthy?"  The middle grounder continued with an exasperated tone in his voice.  

 

t's coming close." Chan said, the boy sounded excited just by the thought that there is a familiar animal near them. The young middle grounder hastily made his way to the animal with glee without a second thought.

 

“Chan stop!” Seungkwan verbally shouted realizing that the animal that they thought as a harmless rabbit was actually a demon beast called the Staleins. The Shape-shifting demon beast that can also change the color of their miasma for a few moments to lure their pray.


Seungkwan immediately jumped in front of the middle grounder to protect him. Summoning his battle axe out of his sigil, the astral expertly swung his weapon in the air. The endless rows of fangs sprang out of the beast as it grew bigger and taller. The fluffy fur that used to cover the body of the small animal was now replaced with hard needle like pelt. The astral had no qualms slashing a big gash at the demon beasts stomach. With a confident swing, the demon beast was beheaded in no time and a proud smile marred the young astrals face. What he failed to see through the haze though was the shadow centipede waiting to ambush them. In just a few moments the happiness etched in Seungkwan’s face was replaced with pain as his left leg was bitten by the demonic creature. 


“Seungkwan!” Hansol broke through the channeling and verbally called out for the astral. His heart was racing painfully in his chest as the look of pure anguish written on the astrals face burn at every recess of his mind.


“Hansol! the young nether ignored his brother as he jumped off his burning salamander and chased after the astrals fading image. He can endure his brothers scolding later, but he can’t just leave Seungkwan to fight an ambush killer with an injured leg. 


Hansol can still clearly hear the continues call of his brother to comeback, but he was too worried for the astral and made his way blindly through the thick dark fog. A few distance away, he heard pained screeches by the demon beast and immediately made way to where the sounds were coming. There lying on the ground, he found Seungkwan desperately trying to stop the demon beast from severing his head with his battle axes. Without waiting for another moment, the nether smashed the beast with his burning mace resulting for the creature to collide with the thorny trunks of the trees. The shadow centipede screeched louder calling for other shadow beast to help it but Hansol couldn’t care less. All he sees at the moment is red, red from the blood splattering out of the demon beast which was also bathing him, red from the bloody injury that was Seungkwan’s leg, and red from the anger he was feeling for the others wounds. Hansol’s only goal was to kill the beast that caused the astrals pain.  


And so he killed it.


But before he can finish it though, the beast did one last battle cry that echoed through a large part of the forest, summoning another batch of demon beast to come their way. Worried that he might not finish them all by himself and defend Seungkwan, Hansol decided to drag the astral back to where the others were. The young nether tried to look for the others through their voices but strangely, he couldn’t hear his brother calling for him. He knew no matter how angry the older was, he wouldn’t leave him alone. He also couldn’t hear the others which was even more unsettling. “Surely the others won’t leave them behind, right?” Hansol thought so to himself as he carried the astral who earlier lost consciousness on his back. They wondered for a few moments before Hansol heard a calling of a blood moth. The nether felt bile rising up from his stomach, then out of nowhere a hand grabbed his wrist.


“Come with me, it’s not safe here.” The face of a young man about his age greeted him. Hansol instantly pulled his wrist away from the stranger.


“You heard the moth, right? It’s not safe to stay here. It will call it’s spawns, then the next thing you know is your lunch for them. I know a place that can hide us, let’s go.” The stranger added as he coaxed the nether to follow him. 


“Who are you and why are you helping us?” The nether asked. He didn’t want to sound ungrateful at the man for helping them but Hansol just couldn’t stop himself. Afterall, the first thing his father taught him was to not trust strangers.


“Oh um I am Seo-Seonwoo” the other stuttered. “Look, I know you don’t trust me right now but I promise that I won’t hurt you or your friend. I just can’t watch anyone suffering the same fate as my friends and family did. The other added with a sad voice.

Hansol felt guilty with his actions but did not say a word. He was still doubtful of the man, but he had no choice. Seungkwan was still unconscious and bleeding, the blood moth was near, and he couldn’t find the others. He is gambling with his fate and hoped he made the right decision to follow the man.  

 

Facts about the Fic:

  • Kalypdry Trees – also known as the trees of hell. The entirety of the tree is black, from its roots to its leaves there in not even one lighter color to be seen. There are also thorns covering the tree. It is also believed that if one eats the fruit of the tree, the person will either die from poisoning or turn into a demon.

 

  • Staleins – the smart shape shifting demon beast that can take any form of creature, even a human if they want. The Staleins is one of the notorious killers of travelers and nomadic tribes even during the old times. In fact, they are known to take shape of the most vulnerable creatures to lure in their prey. The most common, is a Stalein taking the form of a deer to lure its hunter deeper into the forest. Once the beast deemed it to be far enough, it will transform and kill is prey.
  • The rancid smell of the shadow lands – it is believed that the reason why the shadow lands had this rancid smell is because the essence of hell is seeping out of it. The essence is also the reason why the ground is black and why kalypdry trees grow and flourish.

 

 

Y’all good morning or goodnight wherever you are! How are you? Man! I was supposed to update this last night but I fell asleep, anyways here it is. I hope you guys enjoy it! 


P.S. – I’m still bitter with MAMA, but we all know MAMA as an award show is highkey clownery. So, let’s all ignore those trolls making stories about our boys and just concentrate in supporting them. (I was massively triggered when someone from that fandom said Jeonghan was bitter. Like girl, try handling 11 kids on your own without the father. Let’s see how you hold your fort.) 


Anyways, I will now stop ranting. Just wanted to get the bitter feelings out of my chest. If ever youve read through my rant and reached this part...


THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR READING THIS FIC AND SUBSCIRBING! LOVE YOU ALL BYEEEEEEE