Bad News

Wild Strawberries

Jinsoul sips on her strawberry milkshake as Sooyoung re-wipes the counters down for the fifth time. The blonde swings her feet back and forth since she sits so high up on the bar stool. Jinsoul thinks Sooyoung looks the cutest in her work uniform. The girl was a totally different person in it, she was sweet to all the customers...especially her. 

This was her second milkshake, free of charge thanks to Sooyoung.

The blonde bites her lips when Sooyoung blows out of , flipping a piece of her bangs up. The girl’s hair was up in a high ponytail and whipped around every time Sooyoung would move her head. Sooyoung is getting near her and Jinsoul can’t help but get giddy. Her feet bounce quicker when she can smell the sweetness coming off of Sooyoung.

Sooyoung gives a quick glance back towards the kitchen and then back to her. Jinsoul lifts herself by her elbows and leans across the counter puckering her lips up. Sooyoung smiles at her and teeters on her heels, planting one of the softest kisses on Jinsoul’s lips. They both break apart in fear when they hear a shrill voice from this kitchen, “SOOYOUNG IF I GOTTA TELL YOU ONE MORE TIME!”

The girl cringes at Hani’s warning, “sorry Hani!” Sooyoung’s eyes are wide as she turns to face Jinsoul again, a sheepish smile stretched across her lips. Jinsoul giggles mischievously and reaches forward to play with the buttons of Sooyoung’s uniform. “You’re gonna get me in trouble.” Sooyoung whispers with a wink and Jinsoul blushes and looks down shyly.

“I can’t help it, you look so cute right now.” It’s Sooyoung’s turn to blush as she pushes Jinsoul away lightly, the butterflies stronger than ever. 

Sooyoung bites her lip and gives Jinsoul a hooded stare, the one where she looks up from her long lashes and it leaves Jinsoul breathless. “If Hani wasn’t here right now I would-” 

“SOOYOUNG!”

“Coming!”

Sooyoung rolls her eyes and steals another kiss before running back to the kitchen. Jinsoul sighs dreamily, she loves it when Sooyoung would sneak around at work to flirt with her. It's been a few weeks since Jinsoul’s started staying with her. Things were strangely normal. As if there was nothing to worry about and they were finally free from the past. 

But Jinsoul knows it’s too good to be true. 

She doesn't want to let go of this. This is how it would be without all the outlying issues, the ones that seem to follow Jinsoul like a silent storm. It’s a perfect life she thinks, if she could just stay like this forever.

The door to the diner rings and a customer walks in. Jinsoul’s too busy looking at Sooyoung’s in her uniform to even acknowledge the person at the entrance. The girl is talking to Hani about something but notices the strange behavior from the person at the door. She whips her head around and eyes him. He’s got a suit on, his hair slicked back with gel. A cigarette dangles from his mouth and he stares straight at Jinsoul.

The blonde notices Sooyoung’s suspicion and turns herself. Her heart drops when Kwon smiles at her. Jinsoul stands accidently knocking the milkshake over. Clenching her jaw she turns to Sooyoung who is now ghost pale, realizing the man was here for Jinsoul. She hates how scared Sooyoung looks and how her chest is starting to rise and fall rapidly. 

Kwon creeps slowly towards her and Sooyoung rapidly corners the counter, coming to protect Jinsoul by standing in front of her. Jinsoul leans her head in between Sooyoung’s shoulder blades. The girl is clinging onto her and Jinsoul can feel her heart breaking, she gently grasps Sooyoung’s hands from her clothes holding them in her own. Sooyoung’s shaking.

“Hey beautiful, mind if I talk to your girlfriend for a second?” Kwon sweet talks Sooyoung as if he wasn’t her one nightmare. Sooyoung doesn’t say anything, continuing to keep herself between Jinsoul and the stranger. Kwon smirks, “awe Soul she’s so cute like a little guard dog.” 

Jinsoul groans and breaks away from Sooyoung, the girl tries to grab her when she walks in front of her, “Jinsoul.” But she keeps her hands away and steps between her and Kwon, facing Sooyoung she shakes her head telling her to calm down. 

“It’s okay Sooyoung.” Jinsoul reaches up to cradle her girlfriend's face wiping her thumb across her cheek when a lone tear falls. Sooyoung grabs her wrists keeping her hands there, her eyes begging her to stay. Begging her to not let go. 

Hani comes out of the kitchen as well, ready with a baseball bat if the guy smoking up her diner tries to start anything. Jinsoul kisses Sooyoung longingly before pulling back, “I swear I’ll be right back okay.” Jinsoul tells her and Sooyoung is so close to breaking, Kwon has to look away. “I promise.” 

Sooyoung is finding it hard to believe though. She’s so afraid that Jinsoul will walk out that door with this guy and disappear from her life. Sooyoung can’t let that happen, she doesn’t want this to be the last time, she doesn’t want Jinsoul leaving for good. She’s too attached, this was her other half. “You know I can’t let you leave Jinsoul.”

She’ll be damned if she loses Jinsoul like this. 

“You can, it’ll only be a second I swear.” Jinsoul keeps her calm because she knows if she doesn’t Sooyoung may end up getting hurt. But she’s also calm because she concluded a long time ago that she wouldn’t let these people control her life. No matter what, “I’m coming back to you.” Jinsoul promises one last time and walks away, Sooyoung clings to her until finally letting her slip away and towards the door.

It’s like giving her up when she doesn’t want to.

Because Jinsoul’s telling her to. 

And Sooyoung listens to her, because she trusts Jinsoul with everything in her whether she wants to or not.

Kwon ashes his cigarette onto an empty plate, “don’t worry Sooyoungie, I’ll bring her right back.” Sooyoung clenches her fists and goes to swing but another hand stops her. Hani pulls her back as Kwon follows in Jinsoul’s direction.

Sooyoung doesn't know if her heart had exploded.

Or if her chest was just that hollow.

~~~~

Kwon leads her to his car, slapping the top of it before speaking, “get in.” He opens the door and Jinsoul steps back, crossing her arms.

“I’m not going anywhere with you, I told her it would only be a second so let’s make it a second.” Jinsoul tells him seriously and he rolls his eyes at her, leaning his head onto the car like he was already annoyed.

Jinsoul steels herself when he lifts his gaze back up, cunning and dark. “This is gonna take a lot longer than a second so shut up and get the inside.”

“And if I don’t?”

Kwon smiles and gets in rolling down the window, “guess you don’t want to speak to your dad then...see ya Soul!”

Jinsoul knots her brows at that and the car starts to roll off, she stumbles in her step before reaching in to open the door and Kwon doesn’t even stop to let her in. Jinsoul hesitates for a moment once she’s in, one hand on the handle and the other on the lock. Kwon doesn’t try to lock her in, only truthfully tells her, “I’m bringing you back, so you can relax.” Taking her hands away he continues to ramble, “I would stay and chat here but they’re tracking me, looks like I just stopped by for take out.” He winks as Jinsoul sinks into the leather seats of his Audi.

She stares out the window and back at the dinner, her heart aching to be with Sooyoung. The car ride is silent for a while as he makes circles around the city. As if he was looking for someone. Jinsoul is curled up into the seat, flipping through the radio stations. This reminds her of their dates when they were teenagers. When she refused to go anywhere with him, he'd just drive them around until he had to have her back home. It looked like they were dating, but really it was just hours of wasted gas and too silent of a ride.

Kwon grips the steering wheel and glances over at Jinsoul. He can tell she was trying to come up with a plan. That she knows that this isn’t just something she can dodge like their engagement. Still, Kwon wishes he could have made Jinsoul fall for him. She’s the perfect girl. But back at the diner he faced why he never did...or will ever have the chance of Jinsoul falling for him.

The way she touched and spoke to that girl back there...Kwon can only wish someone cared about him like that. Jinsoul really did love Sooyoung in such a deep way that not even the worst of things could pull them apart. What they shared was beyond intimate and more close to devotion. 

He smiles, “you look nice tonight.”

“Thank you.” Jinsoul quips before glaring at him, “are you gonna tell me now?” This may be the tenth time she’s asked that. But Kwon couldn’t find the guy yet. So he couldn’t say much.

“Hmmm nope.” He laughs when Jinsoul groans and the blonde kicks the glove compartment. “Hey hey, don’t hurt my baby now.” He jokes but Jinsoul doesn’t laugh; she only gives him the darkest look imaginable. Kwon decides to take Jinsoul’s mind off it all, “some girl you got back there.”

“Sooyoung?” Jinsoul replies. Kwon nods and Jinsoul smiles for the first time since she’s got in here, “yeah she is something isn’t she.” Jinsoul sighs out longingly. “She makes me really happy, the happiest...so don’t ruin that for me.” It’s borderline a command but leans more towards a plea. 

Kwon shakes his head and makes another turn, the city had gotten darker now and the people who were wandering the streets were either coming back from work or going out for I the night. It went from business to casual. “You know I can’t promise that.”

“And why not Kwon?”

“Because they’re getting antsy for you...do you have any idea how much you’re worth?” He lets some of the secret slip out and Jinsoul squints her eyes. Kwon swallows nervously. 

“Worth? Am I some-”

Kwon honks at a random car to cut Jinsoul off...the blonde was too smart for her own good. If she was stupid nothing would be difficult and Kwon wouldn’t feel as half as guilty as he already did. “I met your fiance.” Now this was something he could talk about even though he found it a bit funny. 

He knows a lot more than what he’s putting off.

Jinsoul sighs and turns the radio again. It’s one of Kwon’s songs, or really his star name was Dean. She leaves it on, he did have a nice voice. “He’s really funny that guy, a little strange, I think you’ll like him.” Kwon is gripping the steering wheel tightly, he’s starting to sweat.

It’s really happening isn’t it, the dream she has with Sooyoung is shattering. “Kwon, please tell me.” Jinsoul is crying, tears slowly crawl down her face. She knows, she’s always knew. But for some reason she thought Kwon was gonna fix it, that anyone was gonna fix the mess that her life was.

What did Jinsoul do to deserve this...all she ever did was love Sooyoung. That’s all she wanted.

“You got some ty parents Soul.” Jinsoul chokes on a sob as Kwon reaches over to rub her back. “I really don’t wanna do this.” The guy really doesn’t, he’s known Jinsoul for many years and it seems that everyone wants to break her except that girl Sooyoung, Kwon can tell that’s the only thing that’s holding Jinsoul together these days.

Hopefully Sooyoung doesn’t break in the process of protecting Jinsoul.

“Your father got in a little gambling trouble, with the wrong people. He didn’t bet just money.” Jinsoul’s ears begin to ring, “if you don’t marry this guy well. Bad things happen.” All the sudden Jinsoul can’t breathe, her chest is so tight it won’t expand. “They might kill him if you don’t.” 

Kwon pulls away as Jinsoul screams. He doesn’t dare to watch as Jinsoul thrashes about in her seat, kicking at the dashboard and everything. He’s not entirely sure what to do so he mumbles out, “your wedding is in three weeks.”

He bites his knuckle when Jinsoul gasps.

“Pull over.” Jinsoul strangles out through sobs. Kwon stops the car and the blonde opens the door to throw up. Kwon closes his eyes, for his whole life he’s been the , but now he finally feels bad about it.

He pats on Jinsoul’s back while grinding his teeth. Jinsoul slides into her seat, eyes bloodshot and jaw trembling.

Kwon starts to drive again when she shuts the door. It’s dead silent, even with the music and air on. The silence feels like death. Jinsoul is staring straight ahead, an emptiness in her eyes.

The driver hates that he’s the one that caused that. 

“I gotta take you back okay. Just wanted to tell you that.” He didn’t want to at all, they made him come to bear the news to Jinsoul. All Kwon does in this is plays the puppet. Jinsoul’s father was a selfish drunk, whittled into a hollow man by Lady Jung, probably the most evil woman Kwon had met.

Of course, their daughter has always been the one that takes all the blunt force of their mistake. Jinsoul was one amazing girl, but just like her father, was being whittled down into something hollow.

The only time he’s seen this girl alive is when she’s with her girlfriend. That punk Ha Sooyoung, Kwon wishes he had someone to unconditionally love him like Sooyoung loves Jinsoul. How Jinsoul loves Sooyoung. 

He feels like the one to blame for all of this. Since he’s the one that has to pull them apart. Kwon will find a way, Jinsoul’s made him feel things he’s never felt before and they’re not even lovers. He’ll find a way to repay her back for those feelings. 

As he drives through the streets, Jinsoul weeps. “Soul baby you know I don’t want to do this to you.” He says again, just so she makes sure it’s not him. Kwon doesn’t want Jinsoul to hate him even though he knows she does. She resents him and everything he’s done. Kwon can't even blame her.

Rolling back up to the dinner he spots Sooyoung pacing back and forth. He’s kept Jinsoul longer than a second, he’ll probably get a consequence for that.

Jinsoul gets out first and runs into Sooyoung’s arms. Kwon counts three seconds.

One…

Sooyoung’s cradling Jinsoul’s face, wiping her tears away. Kissing every inch of that sad expression. 

Two…. 

Jinsoul clings onto Sooyoung and Kwon has to look away at how pitiful it is. The blonde’s knees are weak and she seems to be sobbing again. Sooyoung is holding her up, not letting her have a space to breath. It’s not like she wants that anyways.

Three…

Kwon opens the car door and regrets it. He hears Jinsoul’s trembling voice repeat to Sooyoung over and over again until it’s hoarse.

I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Sooyoung.

Jinsoul isn’t the one to be sorry. Kwon is the one to blame. He hears Sooyoung shushing the crying blonde. Then he hears footsteps.

Then he hears the crack of his jaw breaking before he feels it. Sooyoung’s got one hell of a punch, Kwon takes every hit, not even trying to cover his face away from the swings, but then she hits his precious nose.

“Alright you little get off me!” Kwon grabs Sooyoung and tosses her back. Sooyoung tries to come after him again but Jinsoul stops her. Spitting the blood out of his mouth he glares at Jinsoul’s girlfriend.

The girl loves Jinsoul fiercely, she’s completely devoted to the blonde. Jinsoul is holding her from behind, still sobbing. Sooyoung’s eyes burn red into his.

“What the did you do to her?” Sooyoung’s voice is just as broken as Jinsoul’s. Kwon wipes at his face, it feels like but he can handle it.

Kwon spits again. He’s the one going to tear these two apart. The strongest kind of love he’s ever seen. He’s going to rip it to shreds when he doesn’t even want to. 

Sooyoung is standing tall but once Kwon says it’s she falls. She falls hard.

“Oh, you know. I had to tell her the wedding date, you know since she’s getting married.” Sooyoung’s deadly glare softens.

Sooyoung doesn’t seem so interested in him anymore. So Kwon waves goodbye, they’re gonna be suspicious of him now. He’s been in one place for too long. “I’ll want my bike back Sooyoungie!”

Kwon gets in his car and drives off.

Slamming his fists on the wheel at the burning sensation in his chest.

~~~~

“Jinsoul.” They’re on the sidewalk, Jinsoul trying to crawl into her lap but Sooyoung isn’t for sure what to do.

Her girlfriend is crying a lot. The most Sooyoung has ever seen her cry. Jinsoul tries to talk but it doesn’t make much sense. Sooyoung tries her best to calm her down, kissing her head, rubbing down her back. Whispering that it’s going to be okay.

But it isn’t, isn’t it? Sooyoung had heard what Kwon said. Wedding date. Jinsoul was getting married after all, and not to her. Sooyoung wants to cry too but she has to be strong for Jinsoul, she has to be Jinsoul’s rock.

They’ll both crumble without each other. 

Pulling Jinsoul away she covers the blonde’s eyes, “baby it’s okay. I’m right here.” Holding Jinsoul to her side she keeps her hand over the blonde’s eyes, “shhhh.” The blonde relaxes with the darkness and Sooyoung’s lips against her ear. Hot puffs of ear warming her up from the cold burn of Kwon’s confession.

She has to leave Sooyoung.

Her dad might die.

Both are her worst nightmare. 

Sooyoung rocks them back and forth on the sidewalk, her forehead pressed against Jinsoul’s temple. “I love you.” Sooyoung whispers out, “I’m so in love with you.” It May be the last time she says this.

Jinsoul doesn’t say anything back. Too numb.

“Are you leaving me?”

Even though Sooyoung is the only thing holding her together she cracks...and shatters.

Jinsoul doesn’t want to do this.

She can’t do this.

Even with her father’s life in her hands they’ll have to rip her away from Sooyoung. For her whole life she’s covered for his mistakes. She won’t allow him to ruin hers for one last one. She can’t, Sooyoung’s the only thing that makes sense. The only thing that makes her happy. It’s the only future she sees.

Is with Sooyoung.

So no matter how this turns out, she’ll make her way back to this girl. She will chase after this love she has with Sooyoung her entire life if she has to.

Even if it kills her in the end.

~~~~

Omggg so dramatic! Hi guys! Missed this? I’m begging you to not read this. Happy 30th chapter! If anyone has complaints I’m sorry...I’m having fun