Stormy Weather

Wild Strawberries

“Jinsoul I can’t do that.” Sooyoung tells her firmly for the fifth time. Jinsoul was talking crazy stuff to her, she had explained explicitly why Haseul was someone to look out for. And why they technically weren’t supposed to be seen together. Sooyoung could understand that, and she would understand if Jinsoul told her they had to act indifferent towards each other but well…the blonde was asking for a different kind of acting. “I can’t be mean to you.”

Jinsoul blinks at her clearly getting frustrated, “you have to she thinks you hate me now.”

“But I don’t. I love you.” Jinsoul softens a bit at Sooyoung’s confession and squishes her face with her hands, making the younger girls face scrunch up between them. Sooyoung pokes out her lips, making her look like a chubby fish and starts to talk again, “I don’t wanna hurt your feelings.” 

Sooyoung watches Jinsoul as the blonde tries to not laugh at her ridiculous expression but turns serious again, “please for me.”

Pushing the hands off her checks she spits, “no Jinsoul why can’t we just act like we don’t talk anymore.”

“Fine whatever.”

“Whatever?” Sooyoung scoffs at how ridiculous Jinsoul sounds, like a pouting kid. Haseul had been the one that made Jinsoul text her that and was the one that made Jinsoul run off for a week. “Jinsoul it’ll be fine.” 

The blonde is now turned away from her, still sitting on her lap. Sooyoung knows this scared Jinsoul, but she doesn’t know how manipulative Haseul can be. It wasn’t as serious as the blonde thought it was. “I’ll make sure it’ll be okay.”

Jinsoul relaxes at her touch, “we just have to convince her we’re not anything anymore. That’s what she wants...that I’ve finally cut you off.” 

Sooyoung hugs her from behind as she nods, Haseul knew they were something more, and she wanted them to not be. “This should be easy right?”

It’s not easy at all. Because everyone is shocked that Haseul is back...and all over Sooyoung. Jiwoo looks over at Jinsoul whose veins are about to pop as Haseul rubs and scratches down Sooyoung’s tummy. The taller girl only awkwardly smiles and steps away from Haseul before her girlfriend (who was staring at her with murderous intent) says something. Haseul only follows her around the whole practice.

She only touches her a little too much.

She only whispers crazy in her ear when she’s taking a water break.

Sooyoung hasn’t spoken to Jinsoul the entire practice, she hasn’t even looked at her. Jinsoul keeps going back and forth from pouting that Sooyoung hasn’t given her a secret glance to wanting to cut off Haseul’s hands. Everyone is amused to say the least, from how obvious Haseul is obsessed with Sooyoung and to how obvious Jinsoul is about to explode.

Vivi even gives up as Haseul refuses to let Jinsoul and Sooyoung be a team. The older woman tells herself it’s just for today and the love birds can be together again and not...whatever the hell Haseul and Sooyoung were.

The first practice set is full of mixed feelings, Jinsoul and Sooyoung both take their frustration out on the ball and coach V thinks that these teams are not so bad. Jiwoo is on Jinsoul’s team and struggles to keep up with the girl’s explosive speed. Jungeun and Hyunjin sit on the side and watch the back and forth, impressed with how much better Sooyoung and Jinsoul has gotten. 

Jinsoul seethes and clenches her fists everytime Haseul hugs Sooyoung’s for a scored point, or when she slaps her for encouragement. Or how she plays with Sooyoung’s ponytail. Haseul continues to invade Sooyoung’s personal space, while staring right at Jinsoul.

Haseul knows how much this is killing her. No matter how many times Sooyoung pushes her off, trying to lock apologetic eyes with Jinsoul’s to show her she’s sorry. Sooyoung hates this, maybe she should have just gone with Jinsoul’s plans of being mean and maybe Haseul wouldn’t have the chance to even be on her like this. Tears fill Sooyoung’s eyes and she realizes that she’s never had a mean bone in her body. Just a broken heart that’s made her have an icy wall built around her.

But now that Jinsoul has mended it back together through thousands of unspoken apologies, the blonde was melting that ice wall that Sooyoung was so comfortable being surrounded by. She misses that warmth now, Jinsoul’s warmth. It starts to make her cold again, and tears form from bitterness. Haseul grabs onto her waist and Sooyoung pushes her a bit harshly, “can you off already?” Haseul raises a brow at her and smirks, Sooyoung realizes that she’s not been doing this whole thing because she wanted to get closer to her. But because Haseul wanted to see if she could break her, just like she broke Jinsoul before.

She wants to see if this whole game is fake.

Haseul can taste the victory.

The girl backs off, and doesn’t come near Sooyoung again. But she isn’t upset at all. If anything she’s glad. 

They continue to play the game, Sooyoung is a lot more aggressive now. Not caring that Jinsoul is on the other side as she slams the ball down with her palms. Sooyoung is angry that she has to hide everything, when she just wanted to show the world that Jinsoul was hers.

One particular volley lasts forever. Jinsoul is starting to get tired and Jiwoo is not the best partner. Haseul is a great partner though and perfectly sets the ball that was dug by Sooyoung, sloppily pumped up by her fists. Sooyoung quickly makes it back onto her feet and in a rhythm chases after the ball, jumping up to slam into it.

Jinsoul’s tired so she isn’t quick enough, and the ball slaps into her face. The blonde doesn’t lose her footing, but the hit makes her head snap back. Jiwoo covers and Jinsoul stumbles back before falling. Hiding her face away behind her hands, blood was already pouring down her chin.

Sooyoung gets nauseous and runs over to Jinsoul in a panic, wanting to cradle the girl in her arms and make it better. But she hears the choked voice, and Sooyoung realizes how scared Jinsoul is of losing her. Because right now Jinsoul wants Sooyoung to hold her now and tell her it's okay, but she knows Haseul is staring at them right now, waiting for the mistake.

“D-don’t Sooyoung.” 

Jinsoul wants Sooyoung to hold her, but she wants that for forever and not just this moment. 

Sooyoung grits her teeth and steps closer, “get up.” She’s afraid too, Sooyoung’s afraid it’ll always be like this, that they’ll have to act. Kicking at the girls ankle lightly she groans out, “get up Jinsoul.” 

Jungeun is about to get up and go slap the hell out of Sooyoung, not fully understand what was going on. Because just yesterday Jinsoul had barely stubbed her finger and Sooyoung was rushing to her aid, holding Jinsoul protectively and sprinting to go get an ice pack. Kissing the blonde gently as she cried like a baby even if the pain wasn’t that bad...it was ridiculous. But this was a comedy.

And not the kind she could laugh at, but the one where it was tragic enough to bring a sad smile to her face. 

It’s sad, because Jinsoul is so afraid she accepts the pulsing pain in her face just so she wouldn’t have to feel the pain of losing Sooyoung. That she accepts the jealousy of seeing Haseul just so she won’t have to see Sooyoung be with someone other than her. 

Coach V is there now, glaring at Sooyoung. The girl only stares down at Jinsoul with a face set in stone, but with eyes glossed in regret. “Sooyoung help me get her to the office.” Sooyoung doesn’t listen to coach v and waits for Jinsoul’s go, she won’t do anything without the girl’s okay. Jinsoul nods and Sooyoung knows she can drop the act. Jinsoul is starting to stand up thinking they’ll just walk her there, but Sooyoung lifts her up suddenly bridal style.

Jinsoul slaps her in the chest, “put me down !” Sooyoung takes the slaps to the chest and holds on tighter to the blonde as she squirms and kicks her feet. Haseul frowns, there was the mistake she was looking for.

But she’s starting to feel like she’s made the mistake when she sees Sooyoung smile at Jinsoul. 

It’s such a beautiful smile, made of nothing but love and adoration. The one that her boyfriend Shownu gives her when he comes home. The blonde continues to nag at the girl, still trying to act like they’re enemies, but the expression in Sooyoung’s face and sparkle in her eyes is evidence that they are the opposite of enemies. The way she holds Jinsoul with ease, gentle and caring, her hands locked tightly around the girl as she carries her off following coach V.

Sooyoung’s eyes never leave Jinsoul’s face still hidden by hands. The show is really over when the glimpse of a smile comes from Jinsoul, when Sooyoung squeezes onto her thigh affectionately. It’s so obvious they’re in love, Haseul frowns at the realization, they’ve always been in love.

She was foolish to think she could change that. 

When they’re far away from the courts and closer to Vivi’s office Sooyoung knows it’s safe, “I’m sorry baby.” Coach V blinks and doesn’t turn around as the two behind her start to cut up with each other like they always do, there’s soft giggles and tiny sighs. And she’s reminded how sickly sweet it is to watch them when they’re enamored with each other.

“You seriously are an you know that?”

“But you love me.” 

Vivi does glance back and rolls her eyes at Jinsoul’s bloody nose and cheesy smile. “Okay what the hell is up with you two.” Jinsoul and Sooyoung blink out of the little moment they were having and look at the woman who they had forgotten about. Sharing a glance with each other Sooyoung frowns at Jinsoul’s bleeding nose, the guilt eating her alive.

Jinsoul wipes at her top lip smearing the red all over her face before holding her head back, “umm we’re playing a game.” Vivi gives them a very weird look and Jinsoul has to wave her hand around, “not that kinda game! Just...we wanted to see...um.” 

Sooyoung realizes that Jinsoul’s a horrible liar, at least on the spot like this. “Haseul plans on telling Jinsoul’s parents.” Her girlfriend’s eyes widened as Vivi hums, she knew most of the situation at hand, but not Haseul’s part. Just the part if they knew they were dating Jinsoul would be forced to leave. 

Jinsoul is about to complain until Vivi cuts in, “oh, well we can’t let that happen can we?” 

Her coach shares a look with her and Sooyoung lets out a relieved sigh, helping Jinsoul into the door of the small building that has some offices and locker rooms. Packing the girl through the narrow hallway she leans down to kiss her forehead, making sure to do it when Vivi isn’t looking. The older woman opens the door to her office, “I’ll be right back I’m gonna get some bandages.”

Sitting Jinsoul down on one of the comfy chairs Sooyoung kneels in front of her, taking the blonde’s shirt to wipe at the blood beneath her shirt. “This is familiar.” Jinsoul says with a slight smile on her face. Sooyoung was the one with the bloody nose last time, but the tension didn’t exist anymore. Only a pull between them, making Sooyoung want to get close as possible. 

Sooyoung wipes at a tear in her eye and kisses Jinsoul’s top lip, “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

Jinsoul appreciates how sweet Sooyoung is being but pushes her off with a laugh, “you’re not the one who got hurt! Why are you acting like such a baby?” Sooyoung shrugs and pouts some more making Jinsoul roll her eyes, “if this happened any other time you’d be making fun of me.”

The older girl stares for a moment before snorting, “yeah you look like but still I didn’t want to break your nose...I didn’t want to hurt you.”

Soft hands pet at Sooyoung’s head, “you didn’t Sooyoung however,” the hands slap at her head, “how the hell you gonna let Haseul hang all over you like that! Do you want me to rip her head off?”

Sooyoung protects herself while laughing, she kinda liked Jinsoul’s crazy side, “did you not see me pushing her off!”

The assault stops and Sooyoung looks up to see sad eyes and an even sadder pout, “...you wouldn’t even look at me Sooyoung, do I not look pretty today?”

“You look beautiful everyday! I thought you didn’t want me to look!”

“In secret!”

The door opens again and the playful argument they’re having comes to a stop. Sooyoung is almost slapped by her coach as the girl tries to patch Jinsoul up herself. After Jinsoul’s nose is pinched back straight and gobbed up Sooyoung hugs her tightly and gives her an excessive string of apologies. 

Coach V shakes her head and leads the two back to court, happy to see the girls still practicing. Jinsoul and Sooyoung follow behind, holding hands. But when they get close enough they break apart. The rest of practice isn’t crazy awkward like before, since Haseul has suddenly gone cold towards Sooyoung and the lovebirds share occasionally long glances. 

As the sunsets and everyone packs up, Jinsoul tells Sooyoung by an expression that she’ll pick her up later. That for now they’ll have to go separately, Sooyoung silently agrees with her girlfriend with a nod and frown. She really starts to pout as she watches Jinsoul leave without her. Sooyoung is the last to leave since her sister is picked up once again by Heejin on a mo-ped.

At least she thinks she’s the last to leave. 

Haseul is like a ghost with how quiet she is, creeping up from behind. “Sooyoung.” The girl gets a chill down her spine and turns to see Haseul staring intently, one of her hands grasping her arm shyly. The girl’s body language is hard to read, but her lips are set in a thin line.

“We need to talk.”

~~~~ 

At home Jinsoul keeps calling and texting Sooyoung, ready for the girl to be home already so they can eat and lay together. Jinsoul blushes at how domestic it sounds...when they haven’t had a chance to even go on dates yet where Jinsoul can buy Sooyoung whatever she wants. They’ve done everything backwards and it makes Jinsoul’s head spin since it’s better than she’s ever imagined.

But right now she’s worried because Sooyoung isn’t answering her. 

The door to her home opens and Jinsoul smiles and hops up excitedly, of course Sooyoung wasn’t answering her phone calls because she was on her way here. Running through the kitchen she giggles like a schoolgirl, slowing down so that she could pounce on Sooyoung whenever she saw her.

Her heart is racing with happiness. She can’t wait until they move away from all of this so it can radiate freely. Where she can scream to the top of her lungs with how much she loves Sooyoung.

She steps into the hallway and her heart stops. It sinks below the ground and stops beating. That happiness she wanted to shower in turns freezing drops of acids that burns into her skin. It’s Kwon and he has that fake smirk on his face and Jinsoul knows he’s up to something. That he wants something because he’s never here without a reason.

It’s not , because a long time ago Kwon knew he’d never be able to lay a hand on Jinsoul. His half cut off thumb is the evidence of that. No...it wasn’t that. He had no interest in Jinsoul besides tormenting her because she’s never given him the time of day.

That’s what he’s here for. To torment her.

Because he opens the door and there she stands, her mother.

A tear drops from her cheek and onto the floor. 

It hits the ground with a clap of thunder.

And the storm starts to pour.

~~~~

Should I go through and like cut some of this story? It’s very long isn't it’well anyways don’t get too worried! The angst is not that bad I swear! I promise hehe. 

Also I apologize for this chapter being so terrobull...