Why can't we be friends?

Wild Strawberries

She couldn’t see anything for miles. Sooyoung couldn’t turn around to see what was behind her but in front of her was the biggest body of water on earth and beside her was nothing but a deserted beach. Looking down she watches as the crystal clear water washes up onto her feet. The ocean is usually warm but right now it was ice cold.

Sooyoung couldn’t move, so she stood there and stared at the water. She feels another chill. This time it’s on her neck. Someone was behind her. “I’m not your fantasy.” The voice is recognizable enough. It’s Sooyoung’s favorite voice despite her telling everyone it’s the most annoying one she’s ever heard. “I’ll never be the girl you want me to be.”

Hands slide across her torso and lips glide across her skin. Making the hairs stand on the back of her neck. The chill bumps invading every inch of her skin. “Let’s leave this all behind.” 

Sooyoung isn’t in the sun anymore. She’s deep in the water and she keeps sinking like there was an anchor attached to her ankle. Surprisingly she’s not drowning but it only keeps getting darker as she falls. The darkness was always way scarier. 

Sooyoung

Someone screams her name. 

“YO SOOYOUNG!” Jerking up she frantically looks around. Sighing out in relief that she’s just in her room and not at the bottom of the ocean she lays back down. The same voice mumbles out, “Is this for real.” Sooyoung ignores it and snuggles back into her blankets. Hopefully, her recurring nightmare would not return and she could get a nice, long- “I’m giving you five seconds to get up.”

Turning around she opens her eyes. Chaewon is standing over her bed shaking with anger. “What the do you want gremlin.” Holding up her phone the girl shows Sooyoung all the texts she had sent her. Hours ago, Chaewon must have sent her twenty-something of the texts. 

The phone goes back down and Sooyoung smiles. She felt a little guilty but what could she do? She was sleeping she couldn’t help that she hadn’t seen the texts. “We are supposed to smoke? Remember?” Sooyoung lets out a stupid sound in realization. Maybe she had forgotten about the whole plan and now her friend was about to beat her . 

“Sorry Chaehuahua I was sleeping.” Sooyoung gives the girl a pout and opens her arms up for a hug. Chaewon only rolls her eyes and grabs onto the hands pulling the still half-asleep athlete up. Sooyoung then notices the other girls in the room. Well her sister and her ‘friend’ Heejin. They were lounging on Hyunjin’s bed with an assortment of snacks laying across it. It was sickening how her sister was being hand fed by the other girl.

Nudging her friend she points at the two, receiving a glare from her sister, “get a load of this.” Heejin blushes and looks away shyly while her sister raises up a little and starts to give Sooyoung that warning stare. The one that says, shut up or I’ll kill you. Sooyoung has never been a though so she points at Heejin getting the girl’s attention. 

Sooyoung snorts and throws one arm around Chaewon’s shoulder who is starting to giggle as well. “You know, Heejin, she used to bark at the neighbors, she really thought she was a dog to the point where mom had to sit her down and talk to her.” Hyunjin doesn’t say a word and the girl beside her seems to focus on the wall. The stare is empty and Sooyoung is a bit concerned from the lack of reaction. Her sister finishes a can of soda and inspects it in her hands. Sooyoung is about to run when he sister crushes the aluminum.

Dodging the object that’s thrown at her Chaewon scurries off as Hyunjin goes to tackle Sooyoung. Her sister is swinging like crazy and Sooyoung is afraid for her life when Hyunjin finally grabs a hold of her t-shirt pulling her down to the ground. Sooyoung quickly gets back to her feet and goes for the door where Chaewon is waving but Hyunjin is quick and catches her before she makes it.

Now Sooyoung is pinned to the wall with her own hand slapping herself in the face with the guidance of her sister. “Hey Soo why are you hitting yourself?” Sooyoung grumbles as her own hand continues to make contact with her face. It’s not hard but it’s embarrassing and annoying. Heejin is laughing on the bed clearly forgotten about the little fact that Sooyoung had given her about Hyunjin.  

Chaewon is even laughing at her, making Sooyoung feel betrayed. Finally Sooyoung is released from her torture and she turns to leave with a huff. But not before smacking the out of Hyunjin’s arm that would surely leave a mark. Sprinting out the house dragging Chaewon by the hand with her she giggles at the high pitched scream of her name. 

She lets go of her friend's hand and bends over to catch her breath, Chaewon is laughing like a maniac. Sooyoung didn’t know what time it was but all she knew is that it was really hot outside. It must have been in the middle of the day because she was already working up a sweat. After laughing it all out Sooyoung raises up and spots Chaewon’s signature car parked in the driveway.

Sooyoung and Chaewon were very different. From their hobbies and to how they presented themselves. But the thing that set them apart the most was that Sooyoung’s family usually struggled to pay the bills while Chaewon lived in a mansion without any worry in the world. Sooyoung was never jealous though because some of the things Chae would tell her about her family would break her heart. Sooyoung would never trade her family for the lifestyle. It was the best thing about her life, not matter how much they fought they still loved each other.   

But despite Chaewon not having a loving family like her own she still had a pretty sick car. Bubble gum pink Audi convertible. Sooyoung was allowed to drive it often much to her pleasure since Chaewon would always want to play on her DS in the passenger seat. There were many days were Sooyoung would zoom through the city in the car with her best friend by her side yelling whenever she would go too fast.

Sooyoung runs up to the car and pats on it, “God I’ve missed you Kirby.” 

Chaewon rolls her eyes and jumps into the passenger seat. “Sometimes I feel like you love my car than me.”

“What do you mean? Of course, I do.” Chaewon whines as Sooyoung makes her way around the front of the coupe letting her hand slide across the hood. She jumps in as well not even bothering to open the door since the top was down. Chaewon opens the glove department while smacking Sooyoung’s arm who was distracted by the new steering wheel cover. It was eight-bit hearts with little smiley faces. 

Finally looking over she lets her jaw drop at the multiple blunts already rolled up. Chaewon holds one by one up explaining each flavor to Sooyoung. “We got a banana smash, a boozy watermelon and a Maui pineapple.” Sooyoung takes hold of one of the blunts and smells it. Nodding her head she gives it back to Chaewon. Sooyoung knows tonight is going to be fun.

“You mind if we invite someone else?” Chaewon raises one of her brows before putting the blunts back inside the compartment. 

The blonde shrugs and urges Sooyoung to continue, “Kim Jungeun she’s the girl that I was paired with.” Sooyoung wasn’t for sure if Jungeun even smoked but the thought of her sitting in that hospital all by herself bothered Sooyoung. Was she actually trying to be nice? Or was she just feeling sorry for the girl? No, Sooyoung convinced herself that she wanted to hang out with Jungeun. She enjoyed the girl’s company and she didn’t need an explanation for it. 

“Sure! She’s super cute…look at you making friends.” Sooyoung rolls her eyes at her friend and swats at the hand tickling at her ear. “I’m glad you took my advice on being nice to people. Now you don’t seem like such a loser with just one friend.” Slumping in the driver’s seat she lays her head back. Right, she has to be nice. She doesn’t need to toss Chaewon out of her own car right now for calling her a loser. But man the itch to be mean was annoying.

She was trying to change for the better. To actually start being nice and shut once and for all. For Chaewon, for her Granma and well for, “Can you start being nice to Jindori too? I know you two have um you know, but like would it hurt?”  

Sooyoung turns the car on, “yes it would drain the life out of me why would I be when she broke my nose.” She glances at Chaewon who just looks disappointed. She would like to ask Chaewon why it’s such a big deal. Jinsoul didn’t want anything to do with her so why should she make the effort to be nice to the other blonde. Why should she make any effort at all? 

Now at practice, Sooyoung ignored Jinsoul. And to no one’s surprise, Jinsoul didn’t act any differently. Usually, everyone was annoyed by Sooyoung constantly pestering and insulting the girl but now it was just…awkward. The two didn’t get close, they didn’t say a word to each other and the weirdest part that they never looked at each other unless they had to. Sooyoung was always staring at Jinsoul, but now she acted like Jinsoul didn’t exist. 

She starts to drive off. Sooyoung hates how every time Jinsoul has mentioned all these thoughts bombarded her mind. She thought leaving Jinsoul alone would make her get over her but really this odd attachment she had to the blonde was getting even stronger without the daily attention. Even if it was negative. At least when she was an Jinsoul would be mad at her. That was some sort of attention right? 

But now Sooyoung would lay in bed at night and think of a thousand scenarios between her and Jinsoul. Due to recent events, it was getting worse, it hasn’t been this bad since well… and all she thought about was the blonde. She needed to move on. Or she’d end up doing stupid. Like falling in love with her again.

Sooyoung was so tired of all this. She hated how Jinsoul had so much control over her without doing anything. It always pissed her off and she always took it out on the people who didn’t deserve it. She was nothing to Jinsoul. But Jinsoul was everything to her and so her curiosity gets the better of her. All the effort of trying to wash Jinsoul out builds straight back up. “Does she ever talk about me?” 

Chaewon who is playing with the wind turns to Sooyoung, “not really, but she always asks about you.” Sooyoung doesn’t dare to look at Chaewon. She doesn’t want to seem interested in that. But it’s all she’s thinking about now as she drives to the hospital. Sooyoung lets the conversation end there.

Sooyoung takes a detour so that they can drive past the boardwalk. If there was anything to distract the thoughts of Jinsoul it was hitting on pretty girls. Slowing the car down to a crawl she scopes every girl out until she finds one with a nice , “hey shawty lemme see you!” The girl turns around and Sooyoung can’t help but snort when she sees the girl’s face. “Never mind you ugly!” Sooyoung speeds off after the girl starts yelling.

After bringing the car back down to a crawl again she hangs her arm off on the side and drives with one hand. There are two fine girls walking side by side and Sooyoung calls out to them. Thank god they had a pretty face to match the body. They smile and walk over to the car and Sooyoung stops it. Hopping out with finesse she greets the ladies with a wink.

One of them takes their sunglasses off and Sooyoung physically jumps when she sees the lazy eye. Turning to her friend and completely ignoring the other one she’s grateful to find that the girl is beautiful. But not as beautiful as Jinsoul. “Hey baby what’s your name?”  

The girl blushes and looks at her friend who is staring a hole through Sooyoung. “I’m Yeeun and this is…” Her friend blurts out her own name but Sooyoung doesn’t even bother listening.  

Taking the prettier girl’s hand Sooyoung spins her around and makes sure to make her groan loud enough while checking the girl out. It works and the girl is already blushing like crazy and letting herself move closer to Sooyoung who is now leaning on the car. Chaewon is still playing on her DS numb to Sooyoung’s advances.

“Yeeun we should go swimming tonight.” The girl raises her brows so Sooyoung pulls her against her by the girl’s lower back and whispers against her lips, “I promise I’ll make you twice as wet.” Yeeun giggles and pushes Sooyoung away. She does nothing but smiles at the blonde.  

The girl looks behind her and quirks a brow again, “your little sister won’t mind?” Sooyoung laughs and shakes her head. The girl then smirks and goes to pull a pen out of her bag.

It’s all a game. Sooyoung plans to never speak to this girl again after this little encounter. She only ed people she trusted. Not random girls on the boardwalk. But she loved to flirt. It was about as fun as bullying people. 

About to seal the deal and boost her ego the number is written on her skin with a pink gel pen is interrupted by a custom honk. Sooyoung jumps two feet in the air and turns to cuss out Chae for making her look like an idiot in front of all the people who were now staring at the car. Dread runs through her veins though when she realizes the girl is in the driver’s seat with a mischievous smirk, “see you later !” 

Sooyoung screams as the pink car zooms off. Shaking with anger she blows it out through her nose and counts to ten. Putting back on her charming smile she turns back to the lady and the beast. Only for them to not be there. The smile drops and Sooyoung rolls her eyes. She guesses Chaewon saved her in some way but now she was stuck on the boardwalk. 

She starts to walk the direction to where Kirby went but makes sure to hit on women on the way. Strutting up to a fine lady using one of the sea binoculars she gets on the next one over and pretends she’s using it until she catches the girl’s eye. Once they lock gazes Sooyoung works her magic, “Do you have an inhaler because you have ma…” 

It doesn’t land too well because the girl actually gives her an inhaler. Sooyoung stares at it and returns it without saying a word and continues her efforts with every girl remotely attractive. None of them stick well like the first one and Sooyoung is even threatened when she hits on someone’s girlfriend. It doesn’t faze her though she wasn’t actually looking for anything. Just some validation that she was y. 

Swinging her arms as she walks she spots something exquisite. Some girl bending over wiping at her surfboard. Sooyoung takes several moments to take the site of such an in the tight wet suit and feels herself get a little hot under the sun. Yeah, this was certainly a ten and Sooyoung wonders if she can charm the girl. 

Walking up she has to bite her lip before she says something too vulgar. From the way the fabric was gripping onto flesh she just knows the girl is wearing a thong or maybe nothing and that visionary makes Sooyoung shake. There was something familiar to the mystery girl’s figure though, Sooyoung couldn’t quite put her finger on it. She didn’t think too hard because she was thinking of other ways she could use her fingers on this girl.

Buzzing with new found energy that most people described as she clears to make her presence known. “You know if you ever want to practice some more,” the girl freezes her motions of cleaning her board, “I can fill my tub up halfway and you can use me as your surfboard.” The girl starts to stand up and that’s when she notices she’s blonde, “I’d let you ride me all night long.” Sooyoung doesn’t know why she doesn’t shut up but she wishes she did when the girl fully raises up and Sooyoung instantly recognizes the figure. 

Sooyoung can feel her soul ascend. She doesn’t know if it went up or down but all she knows is that she’s slowly dissipating into thin air. Or that’s what she wishes was happening. Jinsoul turns around and stares at her ashamed face with curiosity. “Oh, Hey Sooyoung I thought that was your voice.” Sooyoung doesn’t move. She’s stuck to the ground and she only stares back at Jinsoul. 

The blonde then tilts her head and smiles, “but I’ll have to pass I’m pretty fizzled. Thank you for the offer it was very nice of you!” Sooyoung is thankful that Jinsoul is a or she would have to come up with an excuse to why she just suggested for blonde to come  her in her bathtub. Sooyoung stares at Jinsoul with her fist clenched. The blonde was smiling so sweetly at her and Sooyoung lets her heart run wild at how beautiful Jinsoul truly is.

Bowing she apologizes and starts to walk away. Jinsoul runs after her, “hey wait!” Sooyoung stops in her tracks and turns back around. Jinsoul runs into her and muffles out a noise. “Why are you running off already?” Jinsoul pouts and Sooyoung realizes she’ll never in a million years be able to get over Jung Jinsoul. 

“You was being nice don’t tell me you’ve already changed your mind.” Jinsoul goes to twirl her salt matted hair in her hands. Threading her fingers through to de-tangle the golden brown mess. Sooyoung takes the time to look the blonde up and down. She was getting tanner and her body looked amazing in the wet suit. 

Sooyoung shrugs, keeping her eyes on Jinsoul’s face. The blonde had no makeup on and Sooyoung has never seen skin look that soft. “I’m just walking around…you know...chilling.” 

Jinsoul makes a dorky face and nods her head. It gets awkward then, “far out dude.” Sooyoung raises her brow as Jinsoul’s hand hovers over her shoulder. She gets second-hand embarrassment when Jinsoul goes to bump her shoulder but ends up backing out, bringing her hand to scratch at her head.

“I can grab my board and maybe I can join you?” Jinsoul gives her this smile that seems shy. Sooyoung remembers what she said last time. She was only hanging out with Sooyoung because she had to. Although Sooyoung can admit that this awkward not really friends not really enemies was better than them clawing at each other’s throat.

Sooyoung reminds herself though, bullying is way more fun than flirting. She’d like to have some fun with Jinsoul right now. Her favorite, “um you’re kinda lame no offense.” Jinsoul’s smile drops and for a second the girl is extremely upset. But the sadness quickly turns to anger. 

“God and here I was thinking this was going somewhere.” Jinsoul throws her hands up and the air, close to tears already. 

Watching the blonde talk to herself Sooyoung starts to think that maybe Jinsoul is crazy. “Sorry habit.” Jinsoul then turns to her, Sooyoung notices how bent her eyebrows. 

Jinsoul then crosses her arms and walks closer to her. “Why can’t we hang Sooyoung?” 

Maybe she could do that, “I don’t want to.” 

Jinsoul smiles but it’s not mocking, it’s genuine like it always is, “why? Am I really that lame?”

Sooyoung nods and Jinsoul steps closer. “I don’t want to hang with someone who feels as if they have to like me.” She’s still salty from the library. Jinsoul’s smile falls again. Sooyoung can sense the guilt coming off of the girl. Jinsoul could have regretted her wording but Sooyoung doubts it. 

Jinsoul is about to say something else until a particular honk pulls them apart. Chaewon is staring at them with a wide smile on her face. “Get in losers!” Sooyoung snaps her gaze towards the car and wants to strangle the driver. Both of them start to head for the car, the taller of the two pushes Jinsoul to the side making her stumble receiving a grumble.

Chaewon starts to honk the horn again. Jinsoul forgets her board and turns to go back receive it. Sooyoung sees the opportunity and jumps in the back seat. “DRIVE!” Chaewon doesn’t do anything though. Just continues to bop her head to the music. The blonde turns around and asks her to repeat herself. Rolling her eyes she screams at the girl, “SHUT UP AND DRIVE!” 

Sooyoung only gets a blink in response, “I don’t have Rihanna.” She wants to pull her hair out. Especially when Jinsoul puts her surfboard in the back and kicks with her feet for Sooyoung to scoot over. Sooyoung scoots all the way over. To get as possibly far from Jinsoul as she could. Crossing her arms she watches the streets. 

“Which Sean, Kingston or Paul?” Sooyoung doesn’t pay attention to the sisters. They’re arguing about something and Sooyoung could care less about what. She was stuck with Jinsoul and even though part of her was loving it. She dreaded on how it would end because in the pit of her stomach there was this deep insecurity that she had when it always comes to Jinsoul. Her shoulder is tapped and Sooyoung chooses to ignore it. The tapping becomes more annoying so she finally jerks around to face the blonde. 

Jinsoul jumps from the proximity and backs away a tad bit. Sooyoung answers and turns back around, “Paul duh.” 

The car starts moving again this time the speakers all the way up where it muffles out all the sound around. Sooyoung starts to get more comfortable and leans back into the seat. Draping one arm off the side and the other across the back of the seat. Closing her eyes she relaxes or at least tries to until she hears the chattering of teeth beside her.

Opening one eye she glances over and opens the other when Jinsoul is already looking at her. The blonde is closer than before but currently frozen in the spot. Sooyoung can see her jaw shaking, she doesn’t pay any mind to it though and closes her eyes again.

Something wet comes in contact with her arm making her open her eyes once more and when she sees that Jinsoul is even closer she has to say something, “can you like give me some space?” 

Jinsoul takes it as an invitation weirdly and scoots all the way over and into Sooyoung’s side, “but I’m freezing.” The blonde is pouting and Sooyoung would like to say no but the lump in is preventing her from saying anything. Now Jinsoul is leaning into her, the water from her wetsuit and hair seeping into Sooyoung’s own clothes. Jinsoul doesn’t seem to notice though and continues to sing along to the song on the radio. 

Sooyoung can sense how dangerous this is. How Jinsoul is acting like nothing has happened between them. Like she wasn’t the one that brought them to this standoff relationship in the first place. 

The blonde snuggles into her further and Sooyoung can feel her heartbeat getting heavier. She wants to ignore it but it’s so hard to. The rest of the ride is mostly Jinsoul being cute and Sooyoung trying to remain unfazed. Chaewon talks to them as if they’ve still been best friends all these years and smiles at Sooyoung who hasn’t said one malicious word the whole trip. 

Finally rolling up to the hospital Sooyoung is quick to jump out leaving the other two behind. She was just going to sneak her good friend Jungeun out of the hospital so she could have some fun. Dodging a few patients she slips up the stairs to the second floor. She’s about to open the door to the hallway until a voice behind her almost makes her her pants, “hey where are going?” 

Sooyoung almost jumps out of her slides and slowly turns around. Jinsoul is standing behind her with curiosity drawn over her face, “what the are you doing?

Jinsoul shrugs, “I thought we were hanging out?” 

Stomping on the floor Sooyoung runs her hands through her hair, “we’re not-.” She stops mid-sentence when she sees the girl’s sad frown. Sooyoung is completely appalled. She wasn’t used to this Jinsoul again yet. The one she knew all those years ago. The Jinsoul that was her best friend. Sooyoung was used to the Jinsoul who hated her guts. “I…okay fine I’m getting Jungeun out of here.” 

The blonde opens but then furrows her brows in confusion. Sooyoung wonders what is so hard to understand about that. Rolling her eyes she steps through the door. Jinsoul can just follow her lead she guesses. Slipping through the hallways she comes up to Jungeun’s room and hopes she doesn’t have any visitors and sneaks in the room. Jungeun is laying on the bed flipping through channels on the TV. Sooyoung frowns at the dark circles under her friend’s eyes and how much weight she’s lost, probably from the lack of appetite. 

Though when Jungeun spots the both of them her whole face lights up. Sooyoung smiles and goes to greet her with a fist bump and Jinsoul just stands awkwardly behind the tanner girl. Jungeun narrows her eyes between them and notices how nervous Sooyoung looks and how…comfortable Jinsoul is. The blonde is just casually leaning into Sooyoung as if she didn’t break her nose a couple of weeks ago. 

Jungeun winks at Sooyoung making the older girl become embarrassed, “I didn’t know you two had become friends.”

“We’re not.”

“Yeah!”

Jungeun raises a brow at the both of them. They’re staring at each other because of the mixed reactions. Jinsoul looks sad and Sooyoung just looks...in pain. The older girl rolls her eyes and scans the room when she spots the wheelchair she pushes Jinsoul off of her and goes to receive it. Folding it out she pushes it toward the bed and moves to pick Jungeun up.

“Hey, hey! What are you doing?” Sooyoung ignores the ash-blonde and continues to shift her arms under the body and lifts. Jungeun squeals as she’s lifted and plopped into the wheelchair. “Sooyoung my surgery is in two days!” The girl doesn’t listen and nods to Jinsoul to open the door. The blonde for the first time follows instructions and leads them out. 

Jungeun is complaining the whole time they roll her out. When they reach the elevator Jinsoul stands guard as Sooyoung presses the button over and over again like it will make the machine work faster. It dings and they wait for the door to open and as soon as it does Sooyoung pushes in only to get stuck. Jungeun has her arms out holding herself back from getting in.

Sooyoung tilts the chair threating the girl, “so help me I will dump you out.” Jungeun screams when Sooyoung jerks the chair up making Jungeun let go of the door. The girl is cussing them out punching at Jinsoul’s leg as the elevator descends. The faint music playing about mixing in with the shrill voice that’s calling them a bunch of dumb es.

Outside Chaewon is waiting on them. Filing her nails in the backseat. Sooyoung rolls up with Jungeun who is very pissed off and throws her in the back with the younger girl. Sooyoung leans over the back to situate Jungeun’s legs over Chaewon’s lap so that the girl is comfortable. Chaewon has no clue what’s going when a braced leg is over top of her own. Looking at her sister for an explanation she lets drop when she notices Jinsoul’s stare.

Chaewon can’t believe her eyes as her sister shamelessly checks out her best friend. When Jinsoul bites her lip, Chaewon screams, “what the Jinsoul really?” The blonde jumps from the call out and Sooyoung turns around to see what Jinsoul was doing but the blonde was just whistling and looking up at the sky.

Shrugging she fixes Jungeun’s belt and pats on the girl’s head before slipping into the passenger seat. “So I have to drive?” Jinsoul asks and Chaewon and Sooyoung stare at her before nodding. “Why?”

Chaewon is the one to speak up, “because we’re smoking.” Jungeun visibly relaxes at that. Suddenly not mad that she was kidnapped from the hospital. Jinsoul rolls her eyes and mumbles out of course and makes her way to the driver’s seat. 

Before turning the car on she calls out, “seatbelts on!” She hears Chae’s click behind her but Sooyoung doesn’t move a muscle. Jinsoul waves in front of her face but the girl doesn’t even blink, “Sooyoung seatbelt please.”

Jinsoul only receives the finger. Not wanting blood on her hands if they do crash she leans over Sooyoung’s body and grabs the belt herself pulling it over. Jinsoul glances up at her and Sooyoung lets her eyes trail up and down the girl’s face lingering on her lips and smirks when she watches Jinsoul’s throat constrict from swallowing.

Chaewon is watching the interaction in the back with a confused face. She thought they hated each other? So why did it look like they wanted to-

“! Can we go already I’m burning up back here?” Jinsoul blinks out of the daze. had gone dry form the look Sooyoung was giving her and she couldn’t stop staring at plump lips. God what was wrong with her.

Sooyoung goes back to staring out the side. Maybe tonight wouldn’t be as bad as she thought. Especially when she was starting to feel in control again.

An hour later behind some palm trees, Jinsoul watches as two of the most important people in her life and a cripple gets high. Sooyoung took the banana smash and almost had it finished since she was a quick smoker. She paid close attention to the blonde sitting on the curb and how she had only stared at her the past twenty minutes. 

The smoke would roll out of and she would inhale it back in with her nose amazing the two beside her. Chaewon was probably the most tolerant out of three and Jungeun was an amateur only getting halfway through the blunt before becoming so toasted all she could do is stare.

Chaewon urges her to finish the swisher and Jungeun powers through becoming higher and higher by the minute and when she can’t finish it she passes it to Sooyoung and Chae who had finished minutes ago. Jinsoul didn’t like to smoke since she didn’t want to ruin her vocal abilities. She was in the choir and it would be a shame to put her talents to waste. But that didn’t mean she didn’t enjoy an edible every now and then.

Piling back into Kirby Jinsoul makes them all buckle in before asking, “Who’s hungry?” Sooyoung hums out and so do the other two. Sooyoung watches as Jinsoul smiles to herself and starts to pull out. She could probably fall asleep like this. The wind blowing through her hair and now Kingston was playing on the radio. She heard giggling in the back so she turns to see what’s so funny.

Chaewon is grabbing onto Jungeun’s toes making the ash-blonde giggle. “Staap it that tickles.” Chaewon doesn’t listen though somehow in a trance from the tiny nubs. Sooyoung starts to laugh too and neither of them notices her. 

The blonde then looks up and notices Sooyoung staring at the toes as well. She spreads them out just for her, “Soo did you know we have these things?” Sooyoung shakes her head honestly astonished by the fact that toes are real. They continue to watch the girl’s toes Jungeun herself since she was amazed that they were moving on their own. 

Jinsoul is driving close to somewhere that grabs all of Chaewon’s attention. “YOOO pull into da ing Wendy’s” The driver was already going there and quickly pulls in. 

Chaewon starts vibrating in her seat when Jinsoul takes too long, “go grandma pull the in.” Jinsoul pulls into the drive-through and stops at a box. They wait for someone to answer but it never comes. 

“This an advertisement the down there.” Jinsoul awkwardly laughs and continues to drive up to where Chaewon is pointing at. 

The blonde screams some profanity when they finally make it, “assa es.” They all wait for the worker to talk back but they never do so Chaewon starts screaming, “Excuse me WENDY!”

“YOOO WENDY!”  

“Why are you yelling?” Finally, the microphone buzzes through and Chaewon stops for a minute.

Tapping at the box she states, “Because I’m hungry and y’all not answering.” Jinsoul is about to scold her little sister before Sooyoung stops her. Shaking her head. There was never any getting through to Chaewon when she was hungry. 

“I didn’t answer because you were being mad disrespectful.” Chaewon rolls her eyes at the screen and starts to look at the menu. 

“I wasn’t disrespectful you just sensitive.” Sooyoung starts to laugh and so does Jungeun.

The Wendy’s worker replies, “Oh my god I’m about to...”

Chaewon ignores it, “you gonna have to see me so you better have the same attitude.” The worker then shuts up and asks what they would like to eat. Chaewon orders three things of nuggets. Jinsoul turns to Jungeun who is counting on her hands. She patiently waits for the girl to decide and she only holds up three fingers.

“Three what Jungeun?” The girl gestures with her hands and Jinsoul doesn’t understand one bit.

Jungeun then shrugs, “the McChicken’s.” Sooyoung can sense the total confusion on Jinsoul’s face so she leans over the driver and speaks out the rest of the order. 

“I want a triple stack, um five spicy chicken wraps, can you give us just like a bag of fries and do you all have mozzarella sticks.” The worker informs her that they do not have mozzarella sticks, “then you.” 

“That will be 40.47 at the first window.” Jinsoul gets out the cash and drives up. There’s a girl working the cash register that has a red wig on and Chaewon can’t help but open .

“Yo are you Wendy?” The worker smiles and twiddles with her pigtails, “yes I am.” Chaewon is in awe as they receive the large bag of food. Jinsoul then takes them to the beach that’s part of the park where not a lot of people went. The beach was not as nice and had various rocks and plants around but it was nice for a little picnic. 

While Jungeun is carried by Sooyoung, Jinsoul carries the food and well Chaewon carries herself since she was too delicate to do anything that involved strength. Sitting the crippled on the sand Chaewon joins her and Jinsoul gives them their food. Sooyoung grabs her own burger and the mozzarella sticks that Jinsoul had stopped to get just for her and heads to a rock.

She climbs on top of it with no effort and sits Indian style before digging in. Her eating is interrupted by a whine though. Looking over to the side Jinsoul is standing on the side. Her hair is now dry and it curls in particular spots but for the most part, it’s just a fuzzy mess. Sooyoung watches as the blonde tries to lift herself up onto the rock as well. 

Rolling her eyes she crawls over and hops back down. Without thinking she lifts Jinsoul up and onto the rock sitting her on the edge. Sooyoung made sure to squeeze Jinsoul’s waist as she lifted her just to show that she was safe in her hands. The rock wasn’t even that high so Sooyoung jumps back up and mocks Jinsoul’s inability to climb.

Sooyoung goes back to eating as soon as she could her stomach growling and the fuzziness in her brain telling her that the food is going to be better than . Opening up the wrapper she moans at the deliciousness invading all her senses and takes the first bite. Her eyes roll to the back of her head as the taste hits just right. About to just scarf it all down she notices the blonde staring at her, totally forgetting the company.

Jinsoul giggles giving Sooyoung an opened mouth smile, her eyes crinkling as her cheeks puff up. Sooyoung thinks that maybe the site of that was better than the burger. “Don’t mind me it’s just cute with how much you’re enjoying yourself.” Sooyoung blushes and she blames the high, continuing to eat to distract her fluttering heart. 

She glances back over to Jinsoul who was staring out into the ocean and that’s when Sooyoung realizes she didn’t get her anything, “Did you want something to eat?” The blonde hums and turns to face her, hugging her knees to her chest.

The sun was starting to go down and so was Sooyoung’s walls. “No, I didn’t want anything I’m kind of on a diet right now.” Sooyoung stops mid-bite and glares at the blonde who suddenly got shy.

“Why?” Jinsoul shrugs and chips at some of the dirt on the rock. Sooyoung studies her face, for the time being, she almost looked upset at admitting it.

 So she starts to ramble off, “I don’t think you need to, you have an amazing body.” Sooyoung would know since she fantasizes about how she would worship it very often. She’d never admit that though. Jinsoul gives her a weird expression like she didn’t believe what just came out of . “I’m being serious. You’re gorgeous head to toe.” Maybe it was the high giving her this confidence to be honest to Jinsoul. Maybe it was because the blonde was finally listening to her.

Jinsoul smiles she shoves her by the shoulder, “Thanks Sooyoung that was really nice of you to say.” The girl leans back on her hands after that and Sooyoung notices how Jinsoul won’t stop smiling at her. Sooyoung likes the eyes on her but it gets overwhelming after a bit. She’s afraid suddenly Jinsoul won’t be here and it’s just another one of her dreams.

But she is here because Sooyoung feels her warmth. Jinsoul scoots even closer to her, one of the arms coming behind her as Jinsoul leans into her. Sooyoung offers her burger but Jinsoul declines but Sooyoung persists by shoving it in the blonde’s face making it a mess. Sooyoung then laughs as Jinsoul cusses her out. That was something she was used to, not this soft look Jinsoul was giving her. 

Down below in the sand, Chaewon and Jungeun are finishing off the bag of fries. Jungeun is telling the younger girl a vivid story of her first time, “and so I told her I’d be better at eating once I got my braces off but she didn’t believe me. She still thought I was a bottom.” Chaewon nods and listens to Jungeun’s complaining like it was her job and reaches down into the bag to retrieve more fries.

When her hand comes in contact with something…hairy she shudders. Slowly pulling out she starts to scream in terror and so does Jungeun, “IS THAT A ING RAT IN THE FRY BAG?” Chaewon chucks the thing off into the distance and starts to sob uncontrollably while Jungeun throws up onto the sand. The commotion is heard by the two on top of the rock but their so interested in themselves that they choose to ignore it.

Sooyoung is eating the cheese sticks while Jinsoul finishes off Sooyoung’s burger. The tanner girl notices how Jinsoul picks off all the vegetables before chowing down. They stare at each other while they eat, wide smiles on both of their faces. Sooyoung is about to say something to Jinsoul until a whole leg brace hits the back of her head.

Grumbling out in pain she throws it down back to the other girl’s, “what the ?” She was just having a moment with Jung Jinsoul what could they possibly want? Sooyoung is about to crawl down and beat the crippled up along with the gremlin but soft hands threading through her hair distract her as Jinsoul massages the pain away.

The high makes the sensation ten times better and all she can think about is how she’d like to touch Jinsoul too but she keeps her hands placed at her thighs. Sooyoung is about to fall asleep, but something else comes flying up. It lands on Jinsoul’s leg and Sooyoung can’t even process it before Jinsoul is on top of her clinging for dear life. “WHY WOULD YOU THROW A RAT UP HERE?” There’s some laughing down below so Sooyoung pushes Jinsoul out of lap even though she’d like to keep her there and jumps down from the rock.

Chaewon’s is thrown into the ocean water much to her protest and Sooyoung pours sand down Jungeun’s granny . The crippled couldn’t even do anything as she rolled around on the ground trying to get out of Sooyoung’s wrathful grasp. 

After everyone was calmed down and now the high was just a buzzing feeling they were just lounging on the beach. Jungeun was sitting on the wet sand while Chaewon splashed in the water. Jinsoul and Sooyoung were sitting far behind them just watching. They were beside each other but Sooyoung made sure there was a distance between them. 

They haven’t really talked any since the rock. Jinsoul was arguing with herself in her head while Sooyoung had lost the confidence. Jinsoul goes to speak but nothing comes out. The girl has been doing that a lot the past 30 minutes but Sooyoung pays no mind.

The words finally come out though, “Sooyoung can we be friends again?” 

She only hums, “why because we have to be?” 

Jinsoul plays with the sand between her fingers before answering truthfully, “no because I want to. I miss you. I miss us, this is how we used to be why can’t we keep doing this.”  

Sooyoung turns to her and notices how glossy Jinsoul’s eyes are. Was she really telling the truth? “You told me to leave you alone remember?”

The blonde shakes her head and the water in her eyes is starting to collect, they’ll be tears soon enough. “That was in the past. This is now. I didn’t know what I wanted back then.” Sooyoung hums and stares at the sand. 

Taking some of it between her hands she watches it flow back out through her fingers. “And what do you want now.”

Jinsoul sighs, “you.”

Sooyoung stands up quickly and stares down at the girl, “ you Jinsoul.” The blonde in the wetsuit doesn’t understand and watches her walk away. It takes about five seconds for the gears to start working in Jinsoul’s hand before she stands up to pull Sooyoung back. The tanner girl just jerks her hand back. “You’re not even going to apologize? You just think at a snap of a finger we can be friends again?”

Jinsoul looks at her expectantly, “oh my god you’re serious.” The blonde just nods her head and steps closer but Sooyoung steps back. “So I should just forget about everything and pretend that you didn’t hurt me?” Jinsoul cringes at this and hangs her head low. Sooyoung nudges on her shoulder she wants her to look her in the eye when she says the next part.

The blonde slowly lifts her head, “I meant nothing to you Jinsoul. That’s what you said right? You didn’t want me around you could care less about me.”

Sooyoung doesn’t know why tears are pouring down her face. The high was making everything puppies and rainbows but now it was just harsh reality, “you wanted me to disappear, that’s why I became your enemy so I could stay close to you.

 “It was the only way. Because I wasn’t ready to lose you.” Wiping at her face she sniffs. She didn’t realize she was shaking so hard. All of these emotions being bottled up for years we’re surfacing.

She watches Jinsoul’s face fall. “I don’t know if I could go through that again so just leave me alone and I’ll do the same.” Sooyoung then starts to walk off again and Jinsoul doesn’t stop her. She starts to run once she hits the street. She’d had always been a good runner but this was the first time she had ran from Jinsoul. Usually she was chasing after her.

Chaewon and Jungeun are still at the water and had watched the whole exchange. Jungeun is the first to speak up noticing how Jinsoul’s shoulders are shaking tremendously, “man what are they fighting about now?”

The blonde above her buries her feet in the sand, “they’re always fighting.” Jungeun splashes in the water. She didn’t know why they fought so much. Even though she only had known Sooyoung for a few years the girl was never this angry. Sure she liked to pick at people but nothing like Jinsoul. She was genuinely upset at the girl.

“I thought they had a thing for each other.” Jungeun just speaks her mind. 

What comes out of Chaewon’s mouth shocks Jungeun, “well kinda, they used to be best friends. Like Sooyoung’s family practically raised Jinsoul and me.” The ash-blonde only nods trying to unravel the new information. If they used to best friends then why did they not get along now? 

Jinsoul comes clamping down towards them and clings onto the smaller blonde. They both watch the girl in surfer gear cry her eyes out her mumbling only one thing. 

But it’s too faint for either of them to hear.

...

One day later and only two days before the tournament Sooyoung downs a cup of coffee before continuing the wipe down tables. Working at the Love Shack dinner wasn’t a horrible job but it wasn’t the best one. Sure the place was dead most of the time except a night when a lot of college students and crazies came in. That was usually Sooyoung’s shift though, was the graveyard one. 

The only person here was the owner who was here most of the time. The woman’s name was Hani and she was the pretty fierce cook when not burning down the place. Sooyoung had barely gotten any sleep due to a certain someone. She had cried herself to sleep. Sooyoung had been reminded how warm Jinsoul is but she had to remember how it was ripped from her. 

Hani comes around the corner whistling and pumping her arms to stretch them out. Sooyoung greets her with a smile and the older woman’s whistle dies out as she takes in her appearance. “Damn you look like .” Sooyoung snorts and takes the rag she was using to wipe the furniture and throws it over her shoulder. 

The owner then sits her down on a stool and sits down beside her. “What’s wrong baby girl?” Sooyoung raises a brow. Did something seem wrong with her? 

“Um nothing?” Hani hunches over and pops her bubblegum. She always had bubble gum in and would never stop smacking it. Sooyoung had gotten used to it from working for the woman for six years. 

Hani slaps on her knee before trying to convince her, “come on tell me you know you can trust me.” 

Sooyoung sighs and starts to tell the older woman, “you remember Jinsoul?” Hani nods and rests her chin on her hand giving Sooyoung all her attention. “Um so she wants to be friends again.” 

“Wait really?” Hani was the only one that knew the full story. She was close enough to trust but far away enough that Sooyoung didn’t have to worry about Jinsoul finding out that she still talks about her all the time. Sooyoung only fiddles with her fingers and jumps when the bubblegum pops, “hell no what did you say?”

“I practically told her to off.” Hani laughs and raises her hand for a high five but Sooyoung just stares at it. “I kinda regret it.” The hand drops and Sooyoung receives a glare that tells her that she’s not thinking clearly. “I miss her.”

Hani stands up and crosses her arms. “No, she doesn’t get to break your heart, bust your nose and then expect y’all to kiss and make up.” Sooyoung blushes at the kiss part. “You are stronger than that. If she wants to be friends again she has to work hard to get that trust back just like you tried and you didn’t do anything to lose it in the first place.” 

Hani was right she guesses. She did miss Jinsoul an awful lot and she was tired of being mean to Jinsoul. Sooyoung thought Jinsoul wanted nothing to do with her so why did she ask to be friends again? She was so confused from the past few days. None of it made sense. Jinsoul made no sense. She would see how hard Jinsoul would try for her. To see what kinda effort the blonde would put it. Then maybe just maybe she could forgive and forget.

Sooyoung smirks at the thought of Jinsoul chasing after her just like she did. Maybe Jinsoul would bother her just like she would. Oh how the tables could turn for them and finally Jinsoul could have a taste of her own medicine. But really Sooyoung would probably give in after three days because,

“I think I still love her.” 

Hani raises her brow, “I think if she were to ask again I’d say yes.”

“I mean I’m still not over it all. She still hasn’t even apologized. But I don’t think I could let the opportunity go to waste. I mean she was…everything to me.” I’d like for that to be true again. Hani only shrugs and goes back to the kitchen not even going to argue with the girl. 

Sooyoung would like to see where this goes. She was tired of being Jinsoul’s enemy.

She wanted Jinsoul to be hers.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK stick wit me, they become friend’s next chapter. Sorry Yves is hot and cold.