Bad news

Wild Strawberries

Ignoring the buzzing from her phone, Sooyoung stares right into Haseul’s eyes. The girl had sat them down near some of the tables by the entrance to the beach. Sooyoung is starting to get impatient, usually when someone says they need to talk, they’ll talk. But Haseul has been silent for the last ten minutes and Sooyoung is tired of sitting in the sun. 

The smaller girl seems to be having her own inner conversation with herself while Sooyoung is the clueless audience. Haseul’s changed a bit since the last time she saw her. The girl’s hair has grown longer and she’s lost weight. There’s something different about her eyes too, there’s exhaustion reflecting in the light of the sunset. 

Finally, Sooyoung’s gaze is met. “You hungry?” Haseul asks her sheepishly, as if she was dodging what she really wanted to ask. 

Sooyoung couldn’t be more annoyed, “is this what you wanted to talk about? If we could go grab food?” Haseul chews on the fat of her lip before turning away. Her body hunched over the table and her arms spread across the wood lazily. 

Pulling out her phone, Sooyoung lets her mind wonder at the text she’s been sent.

[My Wifey <3]: Don’t come over, I’ll see you tonight

Sooyoung doesn’t like the way that sounds and stares at her phone long enough to get Haseul’s attention, “is that Jinsoul?” Looking up she jerks her screen out of view when she notices Haseul is leaning over snooping. The girl pulls away, “sorry you just looked like you saw a ghost and I wanted to see.” 

Swallowing and scooting away Sooyoung sends a quick text back, asking Jinsoul what was wrong. Once she does she pockets her phone before glaring at Haseul. The girl blinks at her and Sooyoung pretends to come for her, biting her lip to contain a laugh when Haseul flinches. Standing she grabs her bag, realizing how pointless all this was. “If you’re just gonna sit here and waste my time then I’m out.” 

Turning to head to Jinsoul's, Haseul calls out to her, “wait! Please...just a minute and I’ll stop bothering you.”

“Then hurry up, damn.” Sooyoung doesn’t even put in the effort to turn back to Haseul.

She can hear shuffling behind her and then the girl quietly mumbles out, “I’m sorry.”

Feeling her phone buzz she resists the urge to pull it out. Respecting Haseul enough to hear her out. “I know the way I’ve treated you and Jinsoul has been ya know ty or whatever. But I meant everything I did. I just give up.” Sooyoung scoffs and slightly glances at Haseul. “I am still in love with you, but I’m not gonna look stupid fighting for you.” 

Narrowing her eyes, Sooyoung’s grip gets tighter on her bag. “I wish I could make her disappear but I can’t, no matter what I do you’re still wrapped around her finger.” Haseul walks in front of her, facing her fully. “When you realize how dumb you look everyday by being with her, I’ll be waiting for you.” 

Sooyoung defends Jinsoul, “you don’t know her like I do.” 

Haseul laughs and it makes her blood boil, “oh shut up!” The smaller girl smiles at her like she felt sorry for her, and Haseul really did feel bad. Sooyoung was chasing after someone she’d wasn’t even allowed to be with. The girl was foolish to think it would ever work with Jinsoul when the blonde didn’t know how to love, only to run from it. “I can’t wait till something happens again, and she’ll push you away and you’ll be stuck thinking of what went wrong. I would think you’d learn after the fifth time but you keep crawling back.”

Sooyoung averts her gaze, unable to swallow after that. “Jinsoul isn’t the one Sooyoung, you need someone who wants to be with you. Not scared to be.” Haseul stiffles out and rubs her hands together, “you can’t even function without her. It’s kinda pathetic to see you so dependent on someone who will never need you. She’s never worried about you.” 

“ you.”

“I wish.”

Haseul laughs and flips her off while walking away. Sooyoung clenches her fists, hating how the words had some truth. Jinsoul has alway ran when things have gotten bad. Never staying to protect her feelings. But Sooyoung is sure that it won’t happen anymore, they’ve gotten too close now to be broken apart. Jinsoul surely wouldn’t leave her now after all they’ve been through. Jinsoul needs her just as much.

Right?

Sooyoung pulls her phone out and closes her eyes, not bothering to open the message and reply back. She only hopes that Haseul is wrong. That Jinsoul has changed and that she loves her enough to never let go ever again.

That’s all she can do. Is hope that Jinsoul has changed. 

[My Wifey<3]: Just don’t come over please

~~~~

Jinsoul taps on the dining room table, across from her is Kwon. The dude was picking at his teeth and , grossing Jinsoul out. Looking down at her phone she sighs when she realizes Sooyoung still hasn’t texted her back. Slamming it back down into her lap she groans at Kwon, “why are you here?”

He ignores her and continues to check out his nails and such, his feet propped on the table. Jinsoul shoves the table making his legs stretch. She can’t help but laugh when Kwon whines out. 

Finally he pays her some sort of attention, “man what?” 

“Why is she here?” Jinsoul doesn’t know what exactly is going on. Why her fiancé or her mother was here. Why the woman had disappeared upstairs while Kwon kept her sitting and waiting for god knows what to happen. It’s been an hour and Jinsoul was starting to lose her mind. She couldn’t do this anymore. But when she tried to leave the man had stopped her in an almost threatening way. Jinsoul wasn’t scared at all, but knowing her mother, the woman would probably put a warrant out or something just for spite. Jinsoul didn’t want it to be any worse than it had to be.

Kwon snickers and scratches his nose, “she has a surprise for you.” 

“ off.”

Jinsoul rolls her eyes at the man who is full on laughing now and glances at the stairs. “Seriously why can’t you people leave me the alone?” Jinsoul grabs her phone and texts Sooyoung once more, it’s her fifth one and her girlfriend hasn’t responded at all. Jinsoul was frustrated for more than one reason. It was like the universe was against her or something.

“I’m only here because you look cute when you’re mad also...for another reason.” 

Jinsoul flickers her eyes up back to her fiancé. He smiles at her and she can sense the danger behind it, “I know we never ed before but if you’re anything like your mother...goddamn.” Blinking, Jinsoul let’s her mind fully wrap around what Kwon just said. Then her confused expression morphs into something of disgust. She really hopes she was getting the wrong idea.

“You did not stick your in that woman.” Kwon has always been very open about his life with Jinsoul, even though the blonde has never cared. At first he did it to make her jealous and once he realized that Jinsoul felt not a single thing for him, he did it just to annoy her. Jinsoul hated hearing him talk about it, because the way he would describe things was disgusting. 

Kwon shushes seriously, before whispering, “that woman is your mom and yes. Apparently your daddy isn’t doing the job right.”

Jinsoul could kill him. So she tries, Kwon doesn’t have time to react when Jinsoul swiftly hops out of her chair to grab a knife and point it at his throat. Kwon screams like a girl and holds his hands up for defense, “RELAX I DIDN’T! YOU THINK I’D REALLY SMASH?” Jinsoul rolls her eyes and flips the knife down pointing towards the crotch. Kwon tries to scoot away but she keeps him locked in place.

“Tell me one reason I shouldn’t cut your tiny off for disrespecting me like that.” She couldn’t stand him, how he constantly tried to ruin her life. How he can be around the woman who did ruin her life.  

“Because if you don’t I’ll tell you why we’re here.” Jinsoul hums and pulls the knife away before plunging it down into the wood near Kwon’s arm, he swallows audibly and avoids her eyes. “Ya of a Momma got something for you.” Jinsoul leans onto the table and shakes her head. Wasn’t like Jinsoul was gonna run anymore. Whatever this woman had cooking in her evil mind could turn to dust. 

Jinsoul starts to grind her teeth, “and what would that be?”

Kwon sighs and leans back into his chair more, finally relaxing since Jinsoul doesn’t have a knife pointed to his junk. Something physically changes behind his features and Jinsoul knows something is bad wrong, “listen I don’t want to be here as much as you don’t want me here.” He mumbles slowly and pokes at the knife through the table, “but if I’m not...she’s got on me too. Jinsoul your moms a psycho.”

Narrowing her eyes she scoffs, “tell me bout it.” 

The dude shakes her head, “seriously, if I don’t follow orders like a ing dog my is being locked up.” 

“Kwon what is it?” Jinsoul’s breathing slows down due to fear. Her fiancé has never really acted like this before. 

He looks up at her with regret laced in his expression, “I really wish you were still getting married to me, I don’t give a that you gay or whatever.” 

“Kwon.” Jinsoul cuts his ranting off, anxious to hear the truth. 

“She’s marrying you off to some Japanese big shot. Apparently your dad has gotten the Jung name in a considerable amount of debt.” Jinsoul listens to the words slowly and suddenly her world is crashing down. “I don’t think we were ever getting married, I think this has been a plan a lot longer than you know it.” Jinsoul stares at him and knows he’s telling her the truth. How he’s just been a distraction all along. It’s never been this, it’s too simple and easy to get out of. No...what was reality was much more sinister than what she thought. This has been planned since she was fourteen and she was sure the whole reason they would move to Japan was for Jinsoul to be married to a billionaire. 

“Here sit down you look like you’re about to pass out.” For the first time, Jinsoul doesn’t push Kwon’s touch away. He raises up and helps her into the seat before patting on her shoulder. Jinsoul shakes her head, this couldn’t be happening. How could her life be sold off like that. Jinsoul’s never was in control, she realizes. She has always been a puppet in the game of fortune. Her mother failed to brainwash her...so she’d rather make her useful for something else.

Looking up at Kwon she blinks out tears, “how-how long have you known?”

He scratches his head, “this morning.” 

“And you’re just letting her do this to me?” Kwon never owed her for anything, but Jinsoul knew he had a soul and that even a guy like him wouldn’t stand by and let something like this happen to her. But she can tell he has no control over it either with the clench of his jaw. “Kwon I have a girlfriend, I have a life here. I can’t...I can’t ing do this.” 

Kwon scrunches his features and shakes his head, “I’m sorry Jinsoul.”

Standing up to get in his face Jinsoul spits out, “no you don’t understand I’m not doing this!” Jinsoul wasn’t letting this happen. No matter what, this wouldn’t happen. She’d fight for Sooyoung, and even more, for herself. She would fight for the life she’s always wanted. Jinsoul was tired of things never being in her grasp. It was time for her to grab and run. Right now was her first obstacle. 

Wiping her tears from her cheeks she tries to calm the trembles running through her limbs, all she can think of right now is her sister and Sooyoung. “You either help me or let me go.” 

Kwon refuses to meet her gaze, “where are you gonna go Jinsoul?” 

“I can’t tell you that.”

He turns his eyes to her and frowns, “and you know I can’t let you go…” Jinsoul is glad that Kwon is mature despite his pettiness throughout the years. But the dude knows this is much more than just being a bit of a child. He understands what Jinsoul has gone through and the only reason he’s stayed throughout the years is because he genuinely believed he’d be the only one to save her. Of course they’d be married but Kwon would only pretend, letting Jinsoul freely live on her own.

But now he didn’t have the chance to do that. Unless. Jinsoul smiles and mouths thank you before turning to leave. Kwon clenches his jaws and starts to think of an excuse.

How he let Jinsoul slip through his fingers once again. 

Walking outside Jinsoul groans when she sees that her car is blocked. Instead she pulls out the peculiar set of keys Kwon had slipped to her silently, the reason she had been thankful. He may have said he couldn’t have let her go, but he only did in case a certain someone was listening. Jinsoul looks around not spotting any other vehicle except hers and her mother’s. Until she glances behind and sees it.

“You gotta be kidding me.”

It’s a street bike. Blue and black in color...very intimidating. Not wasting any time Jinsoul rushes up to the motorcycle and slips on the helmet. “Now how the hell…”She looks at the key and the entrance pushing it in and turning. It revs loudly and Jinsoul curses, before hopping on. 

Inside Kwon eyes a glass bottle of whiskey and takes a deep breath, before smashing it on his head. 

Jinsoul turns the gas to the bike and she screams as it darts forward. Waving her legs around frantically to try to find balance she keeps a steady pace on the gas. Running down her driveway she screams the entire time. Scared of how hard this thing was to drive. When she makes it out to the streets she finally has some sort of control and starts to laugh with how much fun she was having. 

Getting comfortable on the seat she starts to go a lot faster. 

Dr. Jung makes her way down the stairs when she hears a bike drive off. Kwon is rubbing his now bleeding head and looks towards the door that Jinsoul didn’t bother closing. He looks up when heels click near up and the older woman scoffs, “you’re kinda pathetic huh.” 

Kwon rolls his eyes and picks a piece of glass out of his hair. “Letting a girl get the best of you when you’re a man.” Kwon wasn’t for sure if the woman didn’t see the blood running down his face...or if she was just dumb as . 

“Sorry. She surprised me with a bottle to the head. Didn’t know I was supposed to be the ing hulk or something.”

She laughs lightly and turns to wipe the blood on his forehead.

“Don’t worry.”

“Let her have her fun for now.” Kwon narrows his eyes at the sentence and slaps the woman’s hand away. He has to swallow fearfully when she mumbles out.

“She can’t run forever.”

~~~~

It’s night by the time Jinsoul gets to Sooyoung’s home, Jinsoul might have taken longer than she needed since she almost wrecked multiple times. Taking off her helmet she waves at Yerim who was sitting on the porch. The teenager squints not for sure who the mysterious rider is until screaming when she does.

Jinsoul hugs Yerim tightly while laughing, pulling back to glance at the window above. There was a figure standing but it was too dark to tell who it was. “Wow when did you get a bike Jinsoul?”

Smirking she winks at Yerim, “I stole it.”

Yerim doesn’t believe her one bit and raises a brow as the other twin comes out. Jinsoul greeted Hyejoo just the same before asking, “where’s your sister?”

The twins glance at each other and Hyejoo answers, “with Heejin as always.”

Yerim giggles, “she’s talking about Sooyoung silly, they’re dating now.”

Hyejoo side eyes Jinsoul, “ewww really?” Jinsoul blushes at the disapproval and looks back up at the window. If Hyunjin wasn’t here then that was definitely Sooyoung staring down at her like a shadow.  

“Um yeah, we’re girlfriends now.” 

Both the twins gag and Jinsoul laughs with a bit of nervousness. She was wondering why Sooyoung hadn't come down yet. Something stirs in her stomach. Something was wrong. Sooyoung’s mother then comes out and is pleasantly surprised to see her. Jinsoul makes her way into Sooyoung’s home while being asked a billion questions.

All she’s worried about though is the girl upstairs. She needed to tell her as soon as possible. Jinsoul didn’t want to hide anything from Sooyoung. She may be her lover now...but the girl was still Jinsoul’s best friend. 

Jinsoul wants to hold Sooyoung, just for reassurance. To know she wasn’t going to lose her again. Jinsoul would never want to admit it. But she needed Sooyoung, even if she’s been on her own all these years. The only way she felt right was if Sooyoung was hers. 

“Soul honey, are you hungry?”

“I’m okay Ms. Ha thank you though.” Jinsoul smiles and glances back at the stairs. Even Jinsoul’s Granma had acknowledged her when the woman never paid attention to anything but the soaps on the t.v.

Sooyoung’s mom smiles knowingly, “I think she’s asleep, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind being woken up by you though.” Jinsoul doesn’t say anything and wordlessly makes her way up the stairs. She knows Sooyoung was awake and probably mad at her. Jinsoul wasn’t the sweetest through texts earlier. 

Knocking on the door she gently calls out, “baby it’s me.” Jinsoul tries to open but it’s locked. Sighing she leans her forehead onto the wood. “Sooyoung.” 

The silence goes on for too long and Jinsoul starts to shake the handle. “Why did you text me like that?”

Sooyoung’s voice is hoarse and Jinsoul frowns. She knows Sooyoung is a bit sensitive to these things now. The slightest mistake could make Sooyoung worried sick, Jinsoul had to be extra caring with the girl. She needed to be honest and prove that Sooyoung could trust her. “My mom was there.” 

Putting her hands against the door she wishes there was no barrier, “it’s bad Sooyoung...so please let me in.” Jinsoul hears sniffles on the other side of the door and curls into herself. Sooyoung was the type of person to feel another’s pain as if it were her own. That’s why Jinsoul has never tried to burden the girl. She’s done it out of protection. But now, she can’t. 

“I need you Sooyoung.”

Jinsoul allows herself to be vulnerable just for a moment. Years ago she could have forced herself to block the girl on the other side of the door and let Sooyoung go to have a better life without her. But Jinsoul is too deep into Sooyoung now, she doesn’t know if she can move on. It’s nothing but selfishness.

She wants Sooyoung forever.

The voice on the other side brings a sharp pain to her heart, “I’m scared that you’ll cut me off again.” Jinsoul is about to promise her she will never again but Sooyoung beats her to it, “are you afraid of being with me.”

Shaking her head she scratches onto the door, “No...that’s all I want.”

“I’m afraid of hurting you.”

Jinsoul is left standing there without a reply and what feels like days, the door finally opens. She doesn’t take a second to embrace Sooyoung, pulling her tightly into her arms lovingly. Kissing the side of her face she shushes the girl and closes the door back when she catches a whimper. Jinsoul keeps saying small loving words while helping Sooyoung to her bed.

The blonde holds her close, making sure to not let go at all as Sooyoung buries herself into her arms. Jinsoul rubs the girl’s head and tells her it’ll be fine.

Sooyoung doesn’t ask much, only one more question. “Are you staying tonight?”

Jinsoul kisses her lips firmly, them to taste the saltiness from tears. She holds Sooyoung’s face as the girl was what was most precious to her. She gently caresses Sooyoung’s cheek with her thumb and kisses the frown until it disappears entirely. Jinsoul can’t describe the warmth Sooyoung gives her...she only knows the girl must be her sun.

“Actually…”

“Could I stay a while longer?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve never really read a wattpad fic but if I had to guess, this would fit into that category. I hope this story is still good to the people who read it! Thank you guys...for sticking around hehe