Revelations & Realizations

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taemin has always been fond of parks. Ever since he was little, parks were something he enjoyed going to but ever since he started to train and become an idol, it was a hobby he had long forgotten he enjoyed. That was until he met someone who had loved parks even more than he ever did. They would spend countless late nights just hanging out and talking under the stars.

Even with his mask securely on his face, he tried to inhale the fresh air.

A smile formed on his lips when he caught a glimpse of the ducks swimming on the river. He was also very fond of ducks, especially when he was younger. His mom would bring him over at the park and they would feed them together. He even remembered trying to also share this hobby with her, hoping that maybe they shared this aspect too, but he was only met with laughter from his girlfriend.

"When we have kids, I'll always take them to feed ducks. Maybe we can even have a duck pond in our backyard."

Naeun looked at him with an amused smile. "Ducks? Backyard? Oppa, we live in an apartment. Where would you put a duck pond?" she laughed.

"Hey," he frowned. "I have my ways."

Laughing, she reached up to kiss him tenderly on his cheek. "You're too cute, Oppa. Don't worry, I'll make sure our kids love ducks. So that you can share that with them."

He chuckled to himself, thinking back at the memory. And as he comes out of his reverie, he spotted a familiar boy as he walked towards where the fountain was located.

His smile brightened. Yohan.

That thoughtful boy always managed to bring a smile on his face. He believed that every child is a precious soul but there was just something different about Yohan. He didn't understand why talking to that boy would warm his heart, his little toothy grin and cute gestures would light up his day.

He looked around to check if he was with anyone, trying to look for Saeun in case she was the one who was with him again but didn't see her. He swiftly made his way towards Yohan.

He removed his mask, and gently tapped his shoulder. "Yohan, annyeong," he smiled brightly at the boy.

Yohan smiled brightly upon seeing him. "Ahjussi, annyeonghaseyo," he said, bowing politely.

Taemin looked around again. "Who are you with, Yohan?"

"My Saeeun Imo," he replied.

"But where's your Imo?" he inquired, still keeping an eye in case he saw Saeeun.

It was Yohan's turn to look around. "Ahjussi, I think Imo is lost. She was just with me over there because we fed the ducks but now she's gone!" he told him, surprisingly patient for someone who couldn't see his guardian.

His answer, however, only made Taemin laugh. Of course Saeun was the one who was lost.

"Why aren't you looking for her?"

"Eomma said if I get lost I should just stay in one place. I'm sure Imo will find me here," he said cooly as his eyes landed on the fountain.

Smart boy.

"Then would you mind if Ahjussi stays here with you while you wait for your Imo?" Taemin asked. He needed to ensure he's safe until Saeeun arrived.

Yohan nodded.

He couldn't describe the feeling he has with just being near Yohan. It was like he was nervous but happy at the same time.

Would he feel the same way if he was talking to his kid?

"So you fed the ducks, huh? Was it fun?"

Nodding excitedly, Yohan started to express his love for the small creatures. "My eomma and I, we always feed the duckies back in San Diego."

They were quiet for a few moment as Taemin watched Yohan. The little boy's gaze shifted between the falling water on the fountain and the many families that had come to the park. He couldn’t place the emotion that he saw on Yohan's face but somehow, it made his heart ache and feel for him.

Is it longing?

He watched Yohan smile as he saw a young boy flying a kite with his father, but he saw the smile disappear almost instantly.

“Where are your parents, Yohan?” He couldn’t stop himself from asking.

Yohan looked at him with those big eyes. “Yohan's eomma has gone to the hospital with Halbi."

"Oh. What happened to your Halbi?" he asked, genuinely curious.

"He was sick. But he's getting better and stronger everyday. He said it's because my eomma and I are with him!” Yohan answered proudly.

"Ah really?" he smiled. "That's good, Yohan."

He didn’t miss the fact that Yohan hadn’t mentioned his father so he decided to probe.

“And what about Yohan's appa?”

Yohan looked up at Taemin, looking hesitant to answer but he did anyway. "I haven't met my Appa yet," he answered truthfully.

Taemin could feel the ache in his heart grow. He was about to say something but Yohan interrupted him.

“But, Ahjussi, my Appa's in Korea. My eomma says so,” he added, as if afraid that Taemin would judge him that he didn't have an Appa. He could also detect the hope in his voice.

He could feel a hollow pit in his stomach. It made sense now, why Saeun was constantly babysitting him. It must be hard for Yohan’s eomma to look after him all alone. He couldn’t imagine what someone who was as little as Yohan must be going through, what he must be feeling. The way he looked at the families in the park as they spent time together, having fun, made Taemin's eyes sting with unshed tears.

What are you even crying for? Even the kid is not crying, he scolded himself.

"Is that what you wished for, Yohan?"

He nodded. "So I know my Appa will come see me soon!" he answered with a smile.

Taemin didn't know how to respond. He wanted to assure Yohan that his wish would come true but didn't want to give the child any false hope because what did he know? All he knew was that if he had children, he would always be there to protect them and spend every waking moment with them. He wouldn't want his children to feel the same loneliness that Yohan must have felt growing up without the presence of his father.

"You're a good kid, Yohan," he whispered before putting a hand on the little boy's shoulder and pulling him towards him in a side hug, squeezing his shoulder.

Yohan looked up and smiled a toothy grin. "You're a good ahjussi, too, Ahjussi."

Laughing out loud, Taemin ruffled Yohan's hair.

So funny.

They spent a few more minutes together until Taemin saw Saeeun rushing over them, her phone on her ear and visibly worried.

When the young woman finally jogged towards them, Yohan was the first to speak up. "Imo, where have you been?"

Saeeun frowned at him and breathed in to catch her breath before replying, "Yohan, I'm supposed to be the one asking you that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter