Joy & Guilt

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Taemin, I’m sorry but the company declined your request. You said you were going to resume all activities this week so they already made your schedule–”

He looked at him pointedly, making the older man stop talking. “I have to leave, hyung. I’m sorry.”

“And I’m sorry too, Taemin,” he replied. “I couldn’t make them move anything. I don’t know what else I can do.”

“I have to leave,” he repeated. “Hyung, I have to see Yohan."

His manager looked at him sympathetically and sighed. Having known Taemin for years, he knew that once he puts his mind to something, there was no stopping him. Especially not when it was about his son. His life was basically already a whirlwind but add the son he found out he had with the love of his life, it became more chaotic than his manager could ever imagine. He understood though, he understood where Taemin was coming from. The poor guy just wanted to prove himself, like always. 

He finally nodded. "I'll get everything done and make sure you get the next flight out."

True to his words, his manager was able to book him a flight and was able to fix everything in the nick of time. Taemin was going alone and would try to keep a low profile as possible. Press wouldn’t be able to track him and his manager made sure he had all the necessary security to and fro.

 

Taemin arrived in San Diego a day later. He was picked up at the airport by Naeun and Yohan, even though he insisted on heading to his hotel on his own.

"Ahjussi, we're gonna have so much fun!" Yohan started to talk animatedly in the backseat. The moment he saw him, it was as if the last few days didn’t happen. He welcomed him with a big hug and a wide smile and just like that, he was his friend again. “Eomma, are we gonna take Ahjussi to lunch? Oh we can go to…” 

As Yohan started to list his favorite restaurants, Taemin glanced at Naeun at the driver seat who had an equally bright smile on her face. 

How was it that just by looking at these two people smiling, he felt as if he was the luckiest person in the world? They were the only ones that mattered in the whole world and he was sure that he didn’t know how to live without them.

“Yohan, I know you’re excited about Appa being here, but I think he’s tired from his trip. How about we let him rest for a while?”

Their son sighed and a frown was starting to form on his face, making Taemin chuckle at how adorable his son was. “I can go to lunch. Ahjussi would love to have lunch with you, Yohan.”

With his face lighting up, Yohan moved his head forward excitedly. “Really Ahjussi? Oh we can have pancakes! Oh no, waffles! Oh wait, meat? Eomma,” he whined at his mother when he suddenly was having the worst dilemma.

Naeun smiled. “How about we just take Appa to our favorite steak restaurant, hmm?”

Hearing her repeatedly call him Appa made his heart do somersaults. He knew how much she was trying and even though Yohan blatantly ignored all her attempts, he was still beyond thankful. 

“Are you sure you’re not tired Oppa?” she asked quietly while Yohan sang some song in the backseat, completely immersed in his own world. “We can drop you off at your hotel and you can get some rest then maybe we can just have dinner tonight.”

He smiled and shook his head. “Aniyo, I’m fine. I only slept on the plane anyways.”

Lies. You spent the whole flight thinking about Yohan and thinking of ways you'd be able to spend time with him and convince him that you're his Appa.

They arrived at their favorite steak place. Greeted warmly by the host, who was a middle aged man, Taemin knew that they frequented the place. They had a usual table and Yohan was warmly greeted by the waiters. It still amazed Taemin how friendly Yohan was. 

"Ah, Yohan!" a waitress who was probably in her early 40s approached their table with excitement. "I haven't seen you in forever! Marcella, hello."

Naeun smiled. "Hi, it's been a long time, hasn't it?"

The waitress' turned to Taemin. "Oh and who do we have here?" she asked, smiling. Her eyes suddenly grew wide as she looked back and forth at Taemin and Yohan, probably placing their resemblance. 

"Ah, you must be Yohan's dad. Oh, finally, I've met you."

Taemin found himself speechless. Not that he wasn't able to speak in English but because he didn't know exactly how to reply. Yohan was looking at him as he waited for his answer. "Uh…" 

The lady, probably sensing the awkwardness she had created immediately apologized. "Oh my, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry." 

"Ahjussi is my friend," Yohan said suddenly. 

"Ahh… Ahjussi," the waitress stuttered, looking at Naeun in question. 

"Umm, how about we order now?"

They were able to have lunch more peacefully. The awkwardness that appeared dissipated because it was immediately replaced by Yohan’s stories. Even though she declined, Taemin paid for everything. It was the least he can do for the two of them.

“Yohan, what do you say to Appa?” Naeun encouraged as soon as Taemin gave his card to the server.

“Thank you for the meal,” Yohan bowed politely.

Taemin smiled. “You’re welcome, Yohan,” he said before stifling a yawn.

It didn’t go unnoticed by Naeun though because she insisted on driving him to his hotel to rest but not before promising Yohan that they’ll have dinner that night and then go to the park the next day.

 

Feeling a little refreshed after a change of clothes and a short nap, Taemin waited at the front lobby of the hotel for Naeun’s text message. 

They ate dinner at a nearby restaurant and Yohan was energetic as always, which his parents were thankful for. He never ran out of stories to tell. Yohan had managed to plan activities for them while his parents only nodded at what the boy wanted. 

The next day, Yohan and Naeun were up and early. They were going to have brunch at their favorite waffle place and were going to pick up Taemin. 

"Yohan," his mother called him softly.

He stopped singing and beamed at her. "Oh?" 

"Are you excited to see Appa?" she asked. Even though Yohan still referred to Taemin as "Ahjussi", it never stopped Naeun from addressing him as "Appa" in the hopes that her son would eventually pick it up. 

Yohan nodded nonchalantly before going back to his singing and his mom couldn't help but smile. He loved singing too much. Just like his Appa. 

They picked up Taemin from the hotel and they drove towards the diner. It was owned by one of Naeun's friends. As usual, Yohan was so familiar with everybody as if they were all his friends, too. 

"I don't know where he got it from," Naeun said to him quietly as they watched Yohan sitting on another booth about a few tables away from them. The owner's kids, two girls that were slightly older than Yohan. Just as he was done eating his food, the two arrived and they immediately found themselves on that booth, doing some coloring. Yohan was obviously having fun as he talked animatedly to his friends. 

"Hmm?" Taemin turned his attention to her. 

"He's so friendly and talkative, and Oppa, neither of us are friendly nor talkative. So I don't know where he got that from," she chuckled. 

He took a few moments before answering as his gaze turned back to their soon. "He's perfect." 

When they’ve already paid the bill, Taemin excused himself and went to the comfort room but what he saw on his way back towards their table made him stop in his tracks. A man confidently strode his way towards where Naeun was sitting and sat on the chair next to her. Thinking she probably knew the guy, he wanted to turn away and maybe just approach Yohan, who was still playing with the owner’s kids on the other booth, but something made him walk towards them instead.

Their backs were turned to him and he was only a few steps away as he tried to listen to their conversation.

“I just thought it would be an opportunity wasted if I didn’t approach you,” the guy said, chuckling.

Naeun didn’t respond, instead took a sip of her water.

“Uhh, so what do you say?” the guy tried again, “Want to get to know me? Maybe give me your number.”

“I’m sorry, I don't give out my numbers to strangers,” Naeun shot back at him.

“How about just your name then? So that we’re not strangers anymore,” he insisted with amusement in his voice and Taemin had to hold back and stop himself from punching the bastard right there and then.

She smirked at him. “See that boy there?” she asked, pointing at Yohan. “That’s my son.”

“But I don’t see a ring,” he said, pointing at her bare left hand. “Besides, I don’t mind.”

Bastard.

Naeun pulled her hands back protectively. “Mister,” she started, more firmly, “I don’t think you understand. I’m not interested so please go away before I ask the owner to kick you out.”

Taemin watched, with amusement, how the guy finally gave up and walked away. With a cheeky smile, he sat back down next to Naeun who was slightly startled by him. “Still the impenetrable Naeun, huh?” he teased.

Her cheeks turned red. "Oh, you saw that, huh?"

"Even in San Diego, you're still the goddess Naeun," he chuckled. 

She scoffed. "Aniyo, Oppa. Those days are over. I'm a mom 24/7. I don't have any time for that. I think the last time I had a date was even before Yohan," she said truthfully and it was her turn to laugh, realizing how pathetic she must have sounded to him. 

The smile left his face as he realized what she had just said. He felt the guilt start to haunt him again. "I'm sorry," he found himself saying. 

Her last date was with you. Idiot. 

"Aniyo, Oppa. It's okay. Yohan is first and always."

Even with just a few days in San Diego, and despite all the mixed feelings he had about missing everything, Taemin felt happy. For two straight days, he got picked up from the hotel by Naeun and Yohan, because he didn’t have his own car yet and they would spend the whole day together. They would go to his favorite restaurants, to the park, and even at the mall without a worry that they would be recognized by anyone. For a short time, he felt normal.

On his fourth day in San Diego, Naeun finally invited him to have dinner at their house. To say he was nervous would be an understatement. He was told to be at the house by 6 in the evening but he was already there by 5. They lived in a nice neighborhood and their house was located in a cul-de-sac. It looked like a typical American house for middle class families. It wasn’t too big or too small. It had a neatly maintained front yard and a w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter