Duckies & Wishes

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Naeun had never been away from Yohan for more than a few hours. It happened only whenever he would go to pre-k and when he would spend a few hours with her parents or her sister. So imagine her anxiety over leaving him with her family for a whole week in Seoul while she goes back to San Diego to fix some things for their big move. Yohan was supposed to go with her but she figured things would be easier to handle if she was alone. She wasn't sure when but she also knew they were gonna have to go back eventually anyways, for some of Yohan's papers and so that he can properly say goodbye to some of his friends.

Three weeks ago, moving to Seoul wasn't even on her radar but as circumstances changed, it would seem that fate, yet again, had other plans for them. She knew by moving back, she would have to conquer her fears and hope for the best but she finally decided it was the best for their family and most especially for Yohan.

It was time to face the music.

"Eomma will miss you so much, aegi-ah," she cooed at Yohan, squeezing his cheeks then kissing his nose. "Be good while Eomma's gone, okay?" They were in the backseat of the car and Naeun could already see the nearing sight of the airport.

Yohan nodded at his mom, smiling.

"You don't seem so sad that you're gonna be away from Eomma for a few days," Naeun pouted at him, feigning hurt.

"Seems like he already loves me more than he loves you, Eonnie," Saeeun teased from the driver's seat, chuckling and looking at them through the rear view mirror.

Naeun rolled her eyes at her sister, chuckling. As if.

Saeeun parked the car at a secluded spot in the basement parking and helped her unload her things. "Eonnie, are you sure you don't want us to accompany you inside?"

Shaking her head, she smiled at her sister. "No need. You can go and have fun without me," she teased before squeezing her in for a hug. She then looked over at Yohan who was still inside the car, eyes focused on his iPad. "Saeeun, please remember all I've told you, okay?"

It was Saeeun's turn to roll her eyes at her Eonnie. "I can handle Yohan for a few days, Eonnie. Besides, Eomma and Appa are there!"

"Pabo. I know you can and I trust you. I'm just making sure."

“Seoul is big, Eonnie. I don’t think we’ll be that unfortunate to see him,” she said then looked over at Yohan before turning her attention to Naeun and whispered, “Besides, last I heard, he’s on his tour in Tokyo."

Talking about Yohan's dad openly with her sister felt surreal but she could do nothing but swallow the fear that was starting to rise up again. "Just…" she sighed. "Just be careful, okay? I want everything to come from me. And have my own terms."

"Eonnie, we talked about this. I know."

"Thank you, Saeeun."

 

 

"What do you wanna do today, Yohan?" After they took his mother to the airport, they went and had a long lunch and were now sitting in cafe eating patbingsu.

"Imo, I want to feed duckies!" Yohan replied excitedly with a mouthful of fruit.

Saeeun’s eyebrows knitted together. What on earth does her Eonnie make Yohan do in San Diego? "Duckies?"

He nodded and took another spoon of the desert. “Eomma and I always feed the duckies in the park back home.”

“Ahh, really? Hold on, angel,” she held up a hand while she got her phone out to search for duckies.

Luckily, she was able to find an attraction along the Han RIver Park that allows you to ride a duck boat and see hundreds of ducks and feed them. It was a Tuesday so there weren’t that many people in the park which Saeun was thankful for. They opted to go for the automatic boat and spent about half an hour going along the river, admiring the ducks and the view. Yohan was beyond ecstatic. He must really loves ducks.

After their boat ride, Yohan insisted on staying a little longer. Saeeun walked her nephew towards a big fountain. She took a number of coins from her purse then handed a few to him.

Yohan looked at her in confusion.

"It's a wishing fountain. You can make a wish here, Yohan," she told him. "Look at Imo, okay?"

The little boy watched as his Imo closed her eyes for a few seconds, kissed the coin in her hand then threw it on the water, where it's seen landing among the hundreds of coins on the bottom of the fountain. "See?"

"Imo, what did you wish for?"

Saeeun chuckled. "If Imo tells you then it wouldn't come true! Now, come on, Yohan's turn!" his imo encouraged, holding on to his shoulders.

"Yohan can wish for anything, Imo?" he asked, looking up at her.

"Of course!"

Yohan's face lit up brightly. He then closed his eyes tightly, holding the coins close to his heart as he concentrated. It brought a smile to Saeeun's lips. Too cute.

He then followed his imo and kissed all five coins that were in his hands before throwing them into the water.

"Aegi-ah, why did you throw all of them at once? You could have used the other ones for another wish!"

"But, Imo, I only have one wish!"

Before his Imo could ask more, her phone started ringing. "Ah, hold on, angel," she said while she fished the phone out of her bag. When she saw this it was an important call, she turned to Yohan again. "Yohan, stay here by the fountain while Imo answers this important call over there, okay?" she asked, pointing at the bench nearby where there were no people. The water from the fountain was too loud.

Yohan nodded

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter