Flashbacks & Memories

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Naeun never thought she'd be able to step foot in Seoul again, at least not until she was ready and Yohan was a bit older, but here she was─4 hours until their plane landed in Incheon International Airport.

She looked over at her son who was munching on some animal crackers. "Aegi, gwenchana?" she asked him. They've been in the plane for about 10 hours already and it was definitely an exhausting flight. "Are you sure you don't want to sleep some more?" she asked softly, trying to tame his messy hair.

"Aniyo, Eomma," Yohan shook his head.

"You're excited, huh?”

The little boy smiled and nodded enthusiastically. "I can't wait to see Imo, Halmi, and Halbi!"

Naeun chuckled. "I'm sure they're excited to see you too, aegi. Especially Halbi. But remember what Eomma told you, okay? Halbi is still sick so you have to be gentle when you see him."

Yohan nodded obediently.

With his excitement undying, Yohan ended up sleepy again. By the time they were in the baggage claim, his eyes were already heavy with sleep and by the time they’re picked up by her sister, he was already in deep sleep.

“Aigo, my poor nephew,” Saeeun cooed at Yohan who was in his mother’s arms. With cautious eyes and a worried heart, she let her sister push their luggage cart and lead them outside. It was the first time in five years that she was going back to Seoul. It was way past midnight and the airport wasn’t too crowded but she still couldn’t help but worry. She knew that everyone had pretty much forgotten her now but she still couldn’t shake the feeling that someone might be watching her, might see her with Yohan. She tightened her grip on her son. I’ll protect you.

Saeeun could sense her eonnie’s uneasiness so she wrapped an arm around her waist and whispered, “Eonnie, it’s okay.”

It was only when they got into the waiting car that she could finally breathe.

“Welcome home, eonnie.”

Stepping inside the house she grew up in, she felt nostalgic, the memories flooding in her mind like the many late nights they spent watching movies in the family room or eating breakfast together every morning. She was immediately welcomed by her mother who hugged and kissed her and then Yohan who was still sleeping in her arms.

They brought him to Naeun’s old room and tucked him in. Seeing the room where she ran to whenever she wanted to feel safe brought back even more memories like watching gentle rain pit pattering against her bedroom window and the endless hours she spent reading her favorite books.

Her mother sat on the edge of the bed and ran a hand through Yohan’s hair. “My little aegi must be tired from the long flight,” she said while softly caressing his face. “He’s gotten so big. So handsome,” she said. She turned to look up at Naeun who was standing behind her. “He’s much cuter than you when you were a child,” she said, chuckling.

He doesn't look like you. He looks so much like his Appa. Carbon copy.

She could pretty much hear what her mother wanted to say but of course doesn’t.

When she entered her parents room, her father was lying on the bed, sleeping. He was different from the strong father she had known and loved. He looked thinner. Too thin. On the king sized bed, he looked weak and frail. She couldn't stop the tears that sprung to her eyes when she approached him. "Appa," she said softly as she held his hand. "I'm here."

Naeun knelt down beside the bed and kissed his hand before burying her face against it as she started to weep. She didn't know how long she just stayed there and only looked up when she felt his hand stir under her touch.

"I guess your Appa dying is the only thing that would bring you back home, huh," her father said with a chuckle. He was finally awake.

"Appa!" she scolded, but stood up to hug her father. "That's not funny. And you're not dying, okay? You still have many years with us. 30 years at least!"

He laughed as he wrapped his arms around her. "I don't know about that, sweetheart."

Naeun moved away sniffing as fresh tears fell down her face. "You're not gonna let a heart attack beat you, right?"

Smiling, he cupped her face gently. "I missed you, my Naeun-ah. I'm glad you're here

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter