Bonds & Progress

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When the two arrived at Taemin’s apartment, Yohan immediately squealed in delight as soon as they stepped foot in the place. It wasn't the first time his son had been to his apartment but before, it was a simple space with nothing but furniture. Now, it has become more lively. In the living room was the newly set up video game and new boxes of Lego just waiting to be opened. Taemin also showed him the bedroom where he could sleep in, in case they have any sleepovers in the future. Not only was it filled with all new stuff, it was ducky themed which made the little boy go crazy excited. What Yohan didn't know was how his dad spent the last three days redecorating his apartment just so it would be a place where his son would want to stay in. Even if it was only a few days a week.

Hopefully. Maybe.

"Ahjussi, is this for Yohan?" he asked as he sat on the bed, his eyes still roaming around the room in awe.

Smiling, Taemin replied, "Of course."

"Why?" he asked, looking up at him with curious eyes.

"Because I want Yohan to be happy."

"Why?"

Because you're my son and I love you so much.

"Because Yohan is Ahjussi’s friend,” he replied, “I’m your friend, too, right?"

Yohan nodded. "Eomma said I should always be nice to you because you're Eomma's and Yohan's special friend, Ahjussi."

Taemin has mixed feelings. On one hand, he was happy about the progress he had with his son. They were becoming closer and he was learning so much about the boy and how an amazing kid he was. But on the other hand, he still felt out of place. He wanted to be called Appa. He wanted to spend everyday with him and do things an Appa should do for his son. He was happy to be able to spend time with his son and get to know him more, but everytime Yohan called him Ahjussi or when he had to keep up the pretence of just being a friend, it hurt him. He wanted to hold him tight and never let go, he wanted to tell him that his fountain wish came true and that his appa is with him. He wanted Yohan to call him appa once. 

We'll get there.

Ridding himself of further worries, he smiled and held out his hand at Yohan. "How bout we go and open up the new Lego, huh?"

He smiled back and took his appa’s hand. "Okay!"

The two spent the whole morning trying to build the Lego set as Yohan's favorite cartoon played on the television.

"Yohan, what do you think of Ahjussi's apartment?"

"Jjang!" he replied, putting his two thumbs up. “You have a nice house, Ahjussi, but where is your Eomma?"

"Ah, my Eomma and Appa live at their house. It's far from here. Ahjussi lives here alone."

Yohan's lips formed an "o" in understanding. "But, Ahjussi, don't you get sad?"

Taemin thought for a moment. Of course he got sad. Before Yohan, being lonely was like the norm. "I do, too, sometimes,” he admitted. “That's why I'm happy you're here, Yohan."

"Don't worry, Ahjussi! I'll tell Eomma Yohan should always go here so Ahjussi won't be lonely!"

"Really? You'd do that for Ahjussi?"

He nodded. "I don’t have school yet so Yohan can even come here everyday!"

Smiling, Taemin reached a hand to ruffle Yohan’s hair. How unbelievably lucky was he that someone as horrible as him would have a son as amazing and as thoughtful as Yohan?

"Ah, Ahjussi!” Yohan suddenly exclaimed. “I can't go here next week!"

"Why?"

"Because Eomma and I are going to our old house! Eomma said Yohan has to go back to say goodbye to my friends and then we have to get our stuff because we're getting a new house here."

"You’re going back to San Diego?"

"Uh-huh."

"Ah, really? Your Eomma hasn't mentioned anything to me yet," he mumbled.

Taemin felt a tinge of disappointment. Naeun had been nothing but supportive of him being a father to Yohan so she told him almost everything that was about their son. As his relationship with Yohan progressed, he’d also like to believe that his relationship with his son’s mother did, too. They were not exactly friendly but they were civil, especially in front of Yohan. So it came as a shock to him that something as big as going to San Diego hasn’t been brought up with him yet.

Who are you to demand for anything?

He mentally scolded himself. He wasn’t in any position to complain about anything. In fact, he should be more than thankful for what Naeun was giving him. He knew he didn’t deserve any of it. As he looked over at his son, he only hoped everything would be less complicated in the future.

 

 

Taemin and Yohan were just starting lunch when the doorbell rang.

Furrowing his brows together, he told Yohan to wait a second before going to the door. Surely, he wasn't expecting anyone or any deliveries. Was it Yohan's Eomma? But she wasn't gonna pick him up until 7 in the evening. Before he could check it from the monitor, the passcode was already being entered and the door opened to reveal, not Yohan's mother but his own mother instead.

"Eomma, what are you doing here?" he asked, his eyes widening. His mother visited regularly and it has never been an issue to him before. Until today. Yohan was with him and as much as he wanted his son to meet everyone important in his life, especially his parents, he knew they had to take things slow.

"Aish, what do you mean? Eomma's visiting you, of course!" she replied, walking past him with bags of food in her hand.

Before Taemin could stop her, she was already heading inside. "Omo!" her own eyes widened the moment she saw Yohan. She looked over at Taemin, a wide smile plastered on her face. "Yohan," she said his name softly.

The little boy looked up from his food, then immediately stood up to greet her. "Halmeoni, annyeonghaseyo!"

"Aigo-yah! It's Yohan-ah. Annyeong, Yohan! You remember Halmeoni?" she asked, putting the stuff she had on the countertop before crouching down to his level.

Yohan nodded.

The smile on his grandmother's lips widened even more. She reached a hand to pinch his cheek lightly. "I didn't know you're here, sweet Yohan."

The boy looked at the older lady, then Taemin. "But why is Halmeoni here? You're visiting Ahjussi, too?"

“Ahjussi?” It was her turn to look at her son.

“Yohan, this is Ahjussi’s eomma," Taemin said, stepping in. "She came to visit Ahjussi to bring him some food."

"Oh, right!" his mother exclaimed and started to excitedly open the bags with containers of food she had brought. "You two aren't done with lunch yet, right? I'll go and heat up this galbijjim!"

"Eomma, you don't have toー" Taemin was about to protest, but Yohan interrupted.

"Galbijjim? Really, Halmeoni? That's my favorite!" he said with equal excitement.

"That's right, Yohan. Why don't you go and sit down and wait for Halmeoni, okay?"

As Yohan sat back down on his seat in the dining area, he watched as his mother grabbed a cooking pot and opened up the stove. “Eomma, did you know Yohan was gonna be here?” he asked quietly.

His mom scoffed. “How would I know Yohan was gonna be here when you don’t tell Eomma anything?”

Taemin sighed. “You know things are still complicated, Eomma. We talked about this. I told Naeun-ah we’ll take it slow. She might get mad if she finds out you were here.”

Turning around, his mother frowned at him. “That’s not the Naeunnie I know, Taemin. Do you think she’ll get mad about me spending some time with my precious grandson? My only grandson?”

“I just… I just don’t want to do anything to jeopardize this. I wanna be careful and make everything right,” he said truthfully.

His mother pursed her l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter