Moments & Warnings

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a fine sunny morning in Seoul and Yohan was already dressed up and ready to go. The little boy was wearing pants and one of his favorite shirts, partnered with his favorite hat already on his head. "Eomma, where are we going?" he asked his eomma who was crouched down, tying his shoelaces.

"Uhh, I don't know yet, aegi," his Eomma replied, finished up his laces and stood up to fix his shirt.

Yohan looked at her in confusion. "Why? Why don't you know?"

Naeun smiled at him. "You remember that Ahjussi who had breakfast with Yohan and Eomma a few days ago?"

The little boy nodded.

"Well, Ahjussi wants to take Eomma and Yohan outー"

"Why?" Yohan interjected.

Caressed his face softly, his mother smiled again. He was at that adorable phase where he questions everything. "Uhh… Because he and Eomma are friends and Ahjussi wants to spend time with Yohan, too."

"Why?"

"Just because… he wants to be Yohan’s friend, too."

“Ahh,” Yohan nodded, as if he understood everything and as if everything made perfect sense. To the boy, Taemin was the nice Ahjussi who knew his Saeeun imo, the nice ahjussi at the fountain, and now the nice ahjussi who was apparently his eomma’s friend and wants to be his friend, too. By now, he was already used to his eomma’s nice friends who always gushed over him, bought him clothes and toys, and always visited him at home, and sometimes took him out. "But where are we going, Eomma?"

"Ahjussi didn't tell Eomma. He said it was a surprise," his mom replied. Although there was still a little bit of reluctance from Naeun, she let Taemin decide when and where he wanted to first spend time with Yohan, and he insisted it be a surprise for him, which meant he also didn’t tell her.

At the mention of a surprise, Yohan's eyes lit up. "Really, Eomma? Maybe Ahjussi will take us to see the duckies!"

His mom laughed. "Ahjussi loves duckies, too. So maybe he will, aegi."

Naeun's priority has always been Yohan so when his Appa asked her to give him a chance to be a father, she had to say yes. It was for Yohan, for their son, but of course assuring that Taemin's priority would also be Yohan. After their talk, Taemin had managed to get a few days off from work and he used that time to think and plan a special day for Yohan, all the while managing to tell the most important people in his life about his son. It came as a surprise for everybody but they instantly wanted to meet the boy, especially his parents. However, Taemin told them they had to take it slow. That meant that he had yet to let them meet him.

He couldn't even be introduced as Yohan's Appa yet.

“Ahjussi, annyeonghaseyo,” Yohan greeted him politely as soon as the door was opened.

“Annyeong, Yohan,” he smiled at his son then turned to Naeun, “You both ready to go?”

Naeun nodded.

The whole ride, Taemin tried to engage Yohan in conversation, asking him random things about himself such as his favorite color (yellow), his favorite food (his eomma’s galbijjim), and superhero (Spiderman!).

“Does your eomma make good galbijjim?” he asked, suddenly remembering how much of a horrible cook Naeun was in the past.

Yohan nodded enthusiastically. “Ahjussi, it’s jjang! It’s the best galbijjim in the world!”

“Really?”

“That’s because it’s the only galbijjim he’s ever had. He’s already immune to my horrible cooking,” Naeun said quietly, which brought an even wider smile from Taemin.

“I’m sure it’s good,” he assured her, making her turn a little shade of red.

"It's really good, Ahjussi. You should try it someday." Yohan interjected, even leaning his head in between the two front seat to emphasize his point, making Taemin laugh.

"This kid, really," Naeun chuckled, craning her body to pinch Yohan's cheek. "I do no bad in his eyes. Eomma is Yohan's favorite, aegi, huh?"

Smiling a toothy grin, he nodded. "Yohan loves Eomma."

"Eomma loves Yohan, too," she replied. Seeing his son interact with his mother made Taemin proud but also envious at the same time. Just by watching how Yohan cared for Naeun, he knew how good a mother she is. He never doubted it even for a second, because even back when they were together, he always told her how good of a mother she would be in the future. He also for sure understood just how close they were, considering that Naeun was the only parent Yohan grew up knowing.

Noticing Taemin grow quiet, Naeun cleared . "Are we near?" she asked. They have been driving for about an hour already and she was noting how they've gone out of the city, the roads becoming less packed and their surroundings getting greener.

"We're almost there," he assured, then turned to Yohan. “Yohan, you like animals, yes?”

“Yes, Ahjussi! Dogs, cats, goats, hippos…” Yohan started to list all of the animals he knew and loved as his parents listened.

After a few more minutes, Taemin was already pulling up into what looked like a small farm / petting zoo. "We're here," he announced.

Yohan immediately looked out the window, and upon seeing the sign, which had a drawing of a few animals, and an actual horse out front. He squealed. "Ahjussi, are we at the zoo?"

Laughing, Taemin replied, "It's an animal farm, Yohan." He then quickly got out of the car and was about to open the door for Naeun but she has already opened it. Feeling slightly embarrassed, he proceeded to open Yohan's door. The little boy darted out quickly and ran towards the horse.

"Be careful!" both his parents shouted in unison after him.

Yohan spent the rest of the morning playing with and talking to the animals. Despite of getting him to an animal farm, Taemin tried to warn Yohan to not get too close to some of the animals, particularly horses.

What if they kick him?

He had seen several compilation videos on Youtube to know that it happens to people. However, Yohan was having none of it so Taemin simply decided to hover around him in order to pull him away at the first sign of a possible attack.

Naeun had to hold in her chuckle at the sight of Taemin and his paranoia of horses when they finally entered the stables. It didn't come as a shock to her that Taemin would be an overprotective dad because he's always been that person but it was still something so foreign to her, seeing him with Yohan like that.

Lunch time soon came and even though there was protest from Yohan, they had to stop exploring the farm to fill their stomachs. There was a tiny restaurant inside the farm for visitors and after a promise to their son that they'll still see more of the animals after eating, they finally settled down on one of the tables, Yohan insisting on sitting beside Taemin.

As they waited for their food, Naeun looked around the place. No one was there but them and two restaurant staff. She also noted how they seem to be the only ones visiting the farm. "I guess people don't bring their kids much to animal farms now, huh? This place is empty."

"Oh. I rented the whole place for us," Taemin said casually, taking a sip of his water. He looked over at Yohan who was busy with the coloring book his mom had brought. "I just figured it'll be easier for us, you know…" he explained.

Naeun's eyes widened. It must have slipped her mind that Taemin was still a famous idol and was well known in the whole country. They couldn't just go to some place because people will recognize him, finally realizing how much planning it had to take just for a visit to an animal farm. "I'm sorry it was hard."

"Oh, please don't apologize. And no, it wasn't hard. Don't worry about it, please."

Before Naeun could say anything else their food arrived and instantly Yohan's eyes brightened at the sight of it. He soon forgot about the animals and his colouring book was tossed aside as his gaze was f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter