Hurdles & Promises

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Ahjussi, good morning!" Yohan beamed up at him as soon as he entered the kitchen.

He smiled back. "Good morning."

"Ahjussi, have breakfast with Yohan and Eomma."

Taemin looked over at Naeun was by the stove, still cooking something. She looked at him and smiled. "Good morning."

Her face was bare of any makeup and her hair was in a messy bun atop her head. She was still wearing her clothes from last night.

He felt his heart ache just looking at her. Back when they were still together, he used to have this fantasy of waking up to her cooking him breakfast and he knew how much she hated it when he brought it up because not only were they always too busy, but she had tried a couple of times and failed. She claimed she needed to have supervision in the kitchen before she could cook up a decent meal.

But that was a long time ago.

She's different now.

She's tougher Naeun.

Stronger Naeun.

Naeun Eomma.

Naeun who doesn't love you anymore.

"Uh, I think I should be heading to the hotel now. Thank you for letting me stay last night, but I should probably go."

Both their faces fell.

“But Ahjussi!” Yohan started to whine. “We’re gonna go to the park today, remember?”

“Yeah, we are, Yohan. Ahjussi just has to go to the hotel to change. I promise I’ll be back later, okay?”

“Ah, Oppa, you should have breakfast first. We can drive you to your hotel later-”

“Aniyo,” he smiled. “It’s okay. I don’t wanna be a bother. Besides, I called Manager hyung and someone will have a car dropped off here any minute.”

After the events of last night, he tried to mark it on his brain that he was delusional for thinking that anything could happen between them. He realized that to Naeun, Yohan was the only one who was important. Having misinterpreted her kindness as something else was completely his fault. He almost laughed at his audacity to even think about something like that when they were still in the middle of trying to get Yohan to get used to him being his Appa. 

"Ahjussi," Yohan whined again. 

"Yohan, I'll come pick you up later, okay?" 

Still frowning, he nodded. "Promise?" 

“I promise,” he smiled and cupped his cheek. “Just wait patiently for Ahjussi, okay?”

“Ahrasso.”

Just as Naeun was about to say something else, they heard a honk of a car. After saying goodbye to Yohan who continued eating his breakfast, Naeun walked him to the front door.

He stepped outside and signalled for the driver to wait before turning to Naeun. “I’ll pick up Yohan at around 3?” he asked her softly, not even meeting her gaze.

Naeun took a few seconds before responding, “Uh, yes, of course.” For the last two days, they did everything together, but now it would seem that he only wanted to take Yohan.

What were you even expecting?

“Do you two have plans for dinner?” he asked again.

Naeun felt a tiny tinge of hope. “No, no.”

“Then can I take him out to dinner, too? I’ll make sure to drop him off before bed time,” he assured.

“Uh, yeah, of course, Oppa,” she replied, the hope she was feeling completely vanishing. “I’ll just be doing some packing tomorrow anyways, and some paperwork,” she added, feeling slightly embarrassed.

 

 

 

 

To say that things between him and Naeun quickly became awkward would be an understatement. He tried his best to avoid talking to her and just focused on Yohan when he came to pick him up. And even though Naeun tried to engage him in conversation, he kept his answers curt but polite. It was better for them both if they just kept things in a civil manner. He shouldn’t dare cross any line because he didn’t have any right to assume things.

After picking up Yohan, they went to a nearby cafe to have a snack before heading to his favorite park. He was watching his son play with some kids by the sandbox when an old lady who was walking her dog asked if she could sit beside him. Smiling, he nodded before turning his attention back to his son.

“Is that your son?” the old lady asked and he nodded. “How old is he?”

“Four,” he smiled.

"He's adorable. You must be lucky to have such a cute son like him," she complimented. 

“Thank you,” Taemin said softly as he looked back at his son and nods with a soft smile on his face.

Yes, he was lucky to be a part of Yohan's life. He was lucky to be given this second chance. He knew it was more than what he deserved and he couldn't ask for anything more. He knew it would be difficult but he had to come to terms with the fact that the dynamics between Naeun and him will never be the same. It would be stupid of him to even think that they could ever be more than co-parents. 

Just like what he promised, he took Yohan home just after 7 pm. Just like the night before, Yohan insisted that Ahjussi should help him get ready for bed and to read him a bedtime story which he gladly did. He waited until he was sure that his son is asleep before carefully getting out of the bed. 

Naeun smiled at him when he entered the living room. 

“I’m going, Naeun-ah,” he said politely to her. “Yohan is already asleep.”

Nodding, she crossed her arms in front of her chest in an effort to try to soothe the weird feeling she was starting to have. “Do you two have plans tomorrow?”

He shook his head.

“Then maybe you should come over for lunch then. I’ll cook. We can have a barbeque at our backyard,” she proposed before she could stop herself. 

Taemin was in a dilemma. He was purposefully making plans with Yohan that would require them to go out in order to avoid too much interaction with Naeun. Being around her made it difficult for him to stick to his resolve of keeping things civil and platonic. But of course, he couldn’t turn down any opportunity to spend time with his son. "Is there anything I should bring?" 

"Just yourself." 

He nodded. “Thank you. I’ll be sure to be here at 12 then. I’ll be going.” With quick steps, he was able to go out of the house before Naeun could even say anything, leaving her completely dumbfounded.

That night, as she lay in bed, she found it hard to be able to sleep. She wondered endlessly about Taemin and how she would be able to resolve the gap that obviously managed to make its way between them. She never meant for any of it to happen. She never meant to kiss him like that and just leave. Feeling frustrated with herself, she could do nothing but wait.

 

 

 

The next day, with Yohan being more excited than ever, they had their backyard barbeque. Naeun tried, in multiple occasions, to try and talk to her son’s father. However, she found all of her efforts moot because he still kept his distance. Don’t get her wrong, she was completely fine with all of his attention on their son but she couldn’t help but feel slightly disregarded when he wouldn’t even look her in the eye when answering her questions.

Through it all, she remained calm and patient. She tried to understand where he was coming from and she knew that it wasn’t the time to address her own petty feelings. Even when he said he would have to leave after doing the dishes, which she insisted she would do on her own.

"Oppa you don't have to," she said for probably the third time to him. Yohan was still outside playing and he had already piled all of the dishes and ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter