Weddings & Rings

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"I don't feel good about this, Naeun-ah," Taemin told her quietly, careful not to let Yohan hear. The little boy was already busy playing some game on his iPad. He had just picked them up a few blocks away from her parents' house. 

"What do you mean, Oppa?"

"I don't like this… sneaking out from your house and sneaking away from your Appa."

Naeun pouted. "Don't you wanna spend time with us, Oppa?" 

Frowning, he turned his head around to face her. "Naeun-ah, of course I do. You know that. It's just that I feel bad. I have to face your Appa one way or another."

She sighed. "I know, Oppa. I'm sure that moment will come too but for now how about we just spend some time together?"

He reached a hand to cup her cheek. "Okay, aegi," he smiled. "Let's go?" 

They both knew there were still a lot of things that needed fixing, a lot of things that needed to be talked about but as Taemin looked at his family inside the car, he decided they were gonna have to delay some of these things if they wanted to stay in their little bubble. He just needed to see them and make up for everything.

 

 

A few more days passed and as much as she wanted to delay it, the day has come for Yohan’s first day of school. Sure, her son has attended pre-k before but this time felt different. A lot of changes have occured for her and Yohan for the past few months. The move to Korea was a major decision that brought about these changes, both good and bad.

"Aigo, look how cute this little bunny is!" her mother gushed as soon as she saw Yohan enter the kitchen with his mother. He was already in his school uniform with his bag strapped behind his back. 

"Good morning, Halmi! Halbi!" the little boy greeted his grandparents with a hug and a kiss. 

"Are you ready for your first day, Yohan? Excited?" 

Yohan nodded quickly with a bright smile on his face. "Halbi, I can't wait to meet my new friends and my new teachers. Eomma said…" 

And as the little boy rambled on, his grandmother put two plates of food on the table. Noticing this, Naeun called her attention. "Ah, Eomma, we're leaving in a few."

“Already?” the older woman asked. “How about breakfast?"

“Eomma, uhh, Yohan and I, we’re planning to have breakfast outside and uh…” she trailed off and looked at her son. She knew that she wasn’t setting a good example for lying but she found no choice because she just wanted to be at peace. As much as Taemin didn’t want anything to jeopardize what was left of him and her father's relationship, he had no other choice. It wasn't his fault that he couldn't resist meeting them, even if it was behind her parents' backs. "We…"

“Tell Taemin-ssi to join us for breakfast here instead," her father interrupted her.

With eyes widened, the two women turned their attention to him. "Yeobo, that's not necessary—" her mother tried to stop him but he insisted. 

"He's outside, isn't he? He's parked a few gates away and is waiting for you. Instead of making an effort to sneak out to a restaurant just to have breakfast, tell him to just join us here. We have plenty, don't we, Yeobo?" he asked his wife. 

She looked at Naeun who seemed to be frozen in place before nodding. "Yeah, we do."

"Go on and call him then, sweetheart.” 

Naeun could only nod in response, too surprised to say anything.

It was quiet in the family's dining area until Taemin finally arrived, Naeun trailing behind him. 

"Appa!" Yohan squealed and ran towards his father.

Taemin smiled and crouched down just in time to catch the little ball of energy in his arms. After a warm hug, he pulled him at an arm’s length to inspect what he was wearing. “You look so cute in that uniform, aegi. You ready for school?”

When Yohan nodded, Naeun nudged the two and Taemin’s attention immediately went back to her father while Yohan went back to his seat.

“Abeonim, eomonim, good morning,” he greeted with a polite bow and stood awkwardly in front of Naeun’s father, his head still hung low. To say that he was nervous would be an understatement. Thinking back to all that had happened in the past with them, he was scared of the possible repercussions of his actions. “Abeonim, I’m sorry─”

“Go sit down and have breakfast,” he interrupted as he took a sip of his coffee.

Taemin lifted his head, his jaw almost dropping, not certain if he heard it right. “Wha─”

“I said go sit down and eat breakfast with us.”

He looked at Naeun who was still standing just beside him. She could only look at him too, her own disbelief mirroring his. Before any of them could say anything, Yohan spoke up. “Appa, sit here next to Yohan!” he said excitedly, patting the seat next to him.

Still baffled, Taemin had to look back at Naeun’s father again, as if asking for permission.

“Don’t keep your son and the food waiting,” he said in response before turning his head towards Naeun. “Go take your seat, too, sweetheart. Let’s eat.”

Wordlessly, the two took their seats on either side of Yohan. As they all began to eat their breakfast, Naeun looked around the table. Both her parents were there, happily chatting with Yohan about his school. Saeeun, who had just woken up also joined them and was talking to Taemin about some idol she wanted to meet. She found herself shedding a few tears.It had been long since she felt complete.

 

 

Naeun was holding Yohan’s hand as they strolled towards the building from the school's parking lot. She looked back and saw Taemin grabbing Yohan’s lunchbox from the back and locking the car before jogging to catch up to them.

"Ready, aegi?" Naeun asked. She felt Yohan grip her hand more tightly

"Hmm, yeah, Eomma," he replied, rather quietly. They continued walking and soon were approaching the halls to find Yohan’s classroom. As they walked, they passed by several students, some younger and some older. Being the first day, many parents were also present, with some already stuck with their children throwing tantrums, refusing to be left alone. There were also kids who were already with their friends, talking and playing by the playground.

She looked at Yohan, who watched the scene with a worried look. They soon arrived in front of his classroom. A young woman smiled and greeted them, which made Yohan hide behind his mother’s legs.

Naeun smiled at Yohan’s teacher. "Aigo, I’m sorry, Teacher, I think someone’s still a little shy," she whispered.

The teacher smiled back. "It’s okay, Eomonim. Our young ones are usually like that on the first day,” she assured. “I’ll let you talk to him for a while while I greet the other parents. Excuse me.”

"Aegi, what's wrong?" she asked as she turned to face him, crouching down so that she could talk to him face to face.

Yohan head hung low, and Naeun looked up at Taemin worriedly before talking to their son again "You can tell Eomma," she nudged him softly.

"Eomma," her son croaked. "I'm scared," he confessed.

Naeun felt a tiny pinch in her heart hearing her son. She knew her son more than anyone and she knew just how much of a happy kid he was. His excitement of going to school turned upside down. She felt bad, and even considered taking him home, but she knew that she had to do this. She had to let him grow. “Son Yohan, why would you be scared?”

Yohan only shrugged. 

She was about to respond when she felt a hand on her shoulder and then Taemin crouching down next to her.

“Yohan,” he said his name softly and grabbed his hand. “There’s nothing to be scared about, aegi-ah. School is fun and you’re gonna have lots of fun here and meet some friends, remember?”

Their son pouted. “What if they don’t like me, Appa?”

“What? That’s ridiculous, Yohan!” Naeun said quickly, her momma bear instincts getting triggered. “Of course they’ll love you because you’re a wonderful boy, Yohan.”

Taemin chuckled. “Your eomma’s right, son. Just be yourself and smile at them and say hi. Arasso?”

He thought for a moment before finally nodding. 

“That’s my boy,” Taemin smiled and kissed his forehead. “Now go have lots of fun, okay?” he gave him a hug before standing up. “Appa and Eomma will pick you up in a few hours.”

Naeun was starting to feel herself get emotional when it was her turn to give Yohan a hug. “Saranghae, Yohan,” she whispered to his ear and peppered his face with kisses then stood up and wiped at her eyes.

With last few reminders and another hug, they could only watch as Yohan went into the classroom and waved hi to some kids, back to his usual happy self.

Naeun was looking for him through the swarm of kids inside the classroom when she felt Taemin’s arm around her shoulders. "Naeun-ah he'll be fine," he whispered to her, kissing her temple. 

Sniffing, she reached up a hand to hold his. She felt her eyes sting with unshed tears. Somehow having Taemin beside her helped. All this time it was just her and Yohan. There were a lot of times when she felt like she was failing and there was no one to reassure her or to ease her worries. Now with Taemin standing beside her she felt relieved, she knew there was someone that they could lean on. 

She looked at Taemin who had a small smile on his lips as he watched their son mingle with the other children. Everythin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter