First & Always

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day started normally for Naeun. Having woken up around 6, she was already able to do all the chores in the house, including cooking breakfast, sorting out the trash, and starting a load of laundry, before her son was even up. And when little Yohan woke up, even still a little groggy, she got him to eat his breakfast and help him get ready and in no time was already taking him to school. Then, she headed straight to a small gallery that’s owned by one of her mom’s relatives where she serves as the manager before heading to the boutique she owns where she spends most of her day.

“Good morning, boss,” Amy, her sales assistant greeted her warmly.

She smiled, “Good morning. Ready to open?” she asked as she headed behind the counter.

The young woman nodded then made last minute arrangements until finally opening up the store for business.

Her boutique is only small, but being in a small city in San Diego, it’s actually just something that’s appropriate for her and their lifestyle. She only needed two sales assistant, one that’s full time and one part timer. She can have flexible hours with the store and she can close it whenever she needs to, especially when it’s in relation to Yohan. With the profit she got here and the paying job she has at the gallery, it’s all enough for her to provide a comfortable living for her and her son.

Admittedly, she had come from a wealthy family and although their financial help was always available, she wanted to make it on her own. She wanted to establish and accomplish something for herself and for the future of her son. Her savings from back when she was still an idol and a celebrity actually made all of it possible.

The morning was passing by smoothly until she received a call from Yohan’s kindergarten teacher. She informed her that her son got into a little fight with one of his classmates but assured that he’s alright but she’s gonna have to talk to the teacher when she picks him up from school. It was only 11 in the morning and there was still half an hour left before his class ended but she couldn’t wait. She needed to be there. She needed to make sure that nothing serious happened.

Quickly leaving the store to Amy, she was already in front of the school at 11:10.

At half past eleven, she was already hovering by the room and when it opened, she immediately greeted his teacher while her eyes searched for her boy. When their eyes met, she smiled and waved at him. He waved back.

Miss Mary left the students to the care of the assistant teacher while she led Naeun to her little office.

"First of all, I'd like to say that Yohan is a smart and obedient boy. He's also very friendly and plays well with his classmates. So it was quite a shock to us when he pushed and punched one of his friends."

"Oh my," Naeun wasn't able to stop his response. His son has never been violent. He was the type who wouldn't hurt, even a fly. "What could have happened? Because my son, he would never hurt anyone on purpose," she started to defend Yohan.

"Ms Son, if you don't mind me asking and I'm sorry if I'm prying, but is his dad out of the picture?"

Naeun could feel her heart beat fast in her chest. It wasn't the first time she has been asked about his dad. Of course it wasn't but as her son's pre-k teacher stared back at her, she couldn't bring herself to speak. "I…"

Miss Mary's eyes softened and reached out a hand to hers. "I understand that it can be a sensitive topic for you, and again, I'm sorry. I admire you for raising such an amazing kid like Yohan."

"Please just tell me what happened to my son," she said suddenly, not being able to stop herself.

"Our class, we were talking about different members of the family and it would seem that one of his friends started to about… about not having a dad."

Her momma bear instincts were starting to kick in. She wanted to talk to the boy who hurt her child but she knew that she had to remain calm and focus on what was more important: Yohan.

"We explained to the kids that there are different types of families. We

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter