Chapter 20 - Just As Strangers

Never Ever Gonna Let You Go

Jackson's POV 
"There has to be a solution to this whole mess!" I exclaimed while patiently waiting for our group meeting Park PD-nim. Ever since the breakout of our relationship through Dispatch, everything went downhill. Making sure to check In-ah was okay, I tried calling her but she hasn't responded at all. That fact that she keeps denying makes me worried 

"I tried texting In-ah but she hasn't replied. I hope she's okay." Mark-hyung had a solemn look on his face. Although he was the quiet one, I noticed that he treated In-ah like a sister and friend. After all it was through his trick that we got to reunite. 

"Ah you are all here! Sorry about the wait!" Park PD-nim said as he walked in. My eyes widened at the small woman who strolled in behind him. It was In-ah! What was she doing here? The thought of not seeing her for one day made me lose control. 

"I called In-ah-sshi to this meeting to discuss the nature of this breakout scandal." Park PD-nim said with a poker face. He should provide a good solution to this problem as he was really caring for his artists. 

"Now, the PR team is working hard to resolve this matter. However we still need to discuss the next step." Park PD-nim faced In-ah to talk to her. Just as I opened my mouth first, PD-nim stopped me. 

"In-ah-sshi, I can tell you are a very smart girl. While I'm elated that the boys treasure you so much, this gossip could possibly decrease their fame. GOT7 hasn't had many big scandals like this since their debut. The other small ones were  illegitimate. It is up to what you would like to do." PD-nim gave the stage to In-ah. 

Right after PD-nim's statement, I was hoping my worst fear wouldn't come true. Losing her, would be losing myself. Being around her I wasn't an idol, just a normal guy. In front of the camera I was a different person, but around her I could just be myself. 

"I have already made my decision. Their careers and hard work shouldn't have to go to waste because of an ordinary girl. We tried to keep it secretive as possible, but not everything in life is free." I had to stop her before she says anything else. "In-ah, please don't-" I grabbed her arm to stop the frightening statement. Just I tried to face her, she wriggled out of my grip. 

"PD-nim, I will break up with Jackson and also not see GOT7 anymore. This is my final decision. Please accept it." Including me, everyone was in shock, as In-ah made a deep bow to our boss. 

"Is this really what you want? There are other ways In-ah-sshi." Park PD-nim looked at her and us back in forth in worry. Without hesitation, she replied, "Yes sir, I don't want to live with guilt who ruined an idol's career." 

"Alright, then since this is what you wish, I will discuss with the PR team" They both shook hands professionally. As In-ah was about to leave, she turned to us. "Well, boys it was lovely to share memories with you all. But from here on out, please forget me. We never met, we never became friends." I could see tears emerging from her eye as her mascara started smearing. 

"In-ah please don't leave me! We can work this out!" I walked up to hug her, hoping she would change her mind, but she stopped me with her hand. "Jackson, stop, it's only going to be more painful." She said as turned her back to me. "From here on out, we are strangers, nothing more. Pretend as if nothing happened and I will do the same." I usually never cry unless I am losing something close to my heart, and this time it was about my love letting me go. 

"Noona! Please don't leave me! Don't go!" Yu-gyeom was in tears as he ran up to her and gave her a back hug, still she responded by letting him go and patting his hand. She didn't even have the courage to face him. "Yu-gyeom-ah, it's for the best. Please forget me. Don't worry I will always be GOT7's fan and watch you all on stage. Goodbye" And just like that after her painful statement, she was gone like the wind. 

Anger and loneliness clouded my head when In-ah mentioned we should breakup. I didn't even get a chance to explain. All of the members held each other in support. Besides me, Jae-beom and Mark-hyung were taking care of the younger ones. I turned to our boss to ask, "PD-nim, there has to be another solution. I don't want to let her go! I love her!" He wasn't shocked by my confession. "Jackson-ah, it was her decision. You should also think about where she is coming from. You told me yourself she's not the type to have her life plastered over the media."

It was even more painful that I didn't express my love to her. Would she have stayed if I did? "Jackson-ah, it's great being an idol because of our love for music. However there will always be a price to pay. I paid that price painfully when I first started out too. Time heals everything." With that statement he left the seven of us in his office. 

"Hyung, let's get back, it's getting late." Young-Jae said as he was trying to hold back his tears. I knew he would let it all out when he got home. Nodding my head in agreement, we all exited the company. We all said our goodbyes and left for our homes. 

As I got on the elevator at my apartment complex, I stared at In-ah's floor. Should I go up there? Was it worth now? Maybe I should try again tomorrow? Without thinking, I pressed for the fourth floor.

"In-ah are you there?! Please open, I want to talk about us!" I loudly knocked. I could easily open up her door, however it would only anger her more. She was always was full of mixed feelings when there were problematic situations. 

"Jackson Wang, please leave! I'm begging you to forget me!" I couldn't take this wall dividing us anymore, I had to make her mine. Immediately as I opened the door, I caught her in my arms, squeezing her tightly so she wouldn't escape. 

"Wǒ ài nǐ. I love you In-ah. We can work through this together!" She then suddenly pushed me away from her. "I'm begging you Jackson please leave! You shouldn't be with a woman that ruins your career. There will be someone better than me for you in the future. I will always be your fan from afar. However, we have to forget each other!" 

"Choi In-ah, I don't want anybody else, because I love you! I love you how you are so simple, yet still so cheerful. You are my first and last love, so please be mine!" I cried as I cupped her face, but she quickly swatted my hand away. 

"I don't want to make you choose between your career and me. If you did, I can't live with guilt that I ruined your life, the one you worked so hard for!"  She dropped to her knees and rolled her hands into a fist. It was as if she was getting ready to pound the floor. 

"You really want me to leave, huh? Fine, then since it looks like I can't persuade you anymore, goodbye In-ah." Swallowing in my pain, slammed the door and left for my place. How could she easily break my heart like that? Deep down I knew she didn't want to do this.

As I was leaving, her heavy cries became distant until I couldn't hear them anymore. I really wished she would have accepted my love. She's knows that I would be willing to do anything for her.
                                                *******
In-ah's POV
I slowly opened my eyes when my alarm started blaring on my phone. Parts of my painful breakup came back to mind yesterday. It was the right thing to do. Suddenly my headache came back on again. I solely remember that I cried myself to sleep with the darkness in me slowly rising back again. I went to freshen up as I had a lab meeting. Time put on a happy disguise. 

Not wanting to run into Jackson, I decided to take the stairs. It would also give me a workout anyways. As I walked to the bus, I peeked around my surroundings making sure I was not followed. Even though nobody knew the pictures were about me, I felt whisperings around as if every pair of eyes were on me. When I got to the entrance of the university, I quickly walked to the professor's lounge ro go unnoticed. 

"Hey there, how are you doing?" Hyun-woo asked me while he was putting some paperwork on my desk. He generously filled up my morning drink. "I guess time will heal everything. I did the right thing to break up with him. Hey, where's my coffee?" I asked as I began to get ready for my meeting. 

"Peppermint tea, it's better for your stress than coffee right now." He smiled warmly as he got his books to head out to teach his lecture. In the last few days we have become really good friends as he was helping me out with my messy situation. 

"Well, I'm off to teach. Dinner tonight? we can get takeout?" I nodded my head in agreement. I decided why not, it would be nice to get l rid of my negative thoughts and anxiety. 

"Have fun in class. I will see you tonight at 7pm" we said our goodbyes as we separated for our respective ways.