Six

Keeping You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Facing the truth"

 

"Our son is fine." 

It is as if everything around him stopped, when he heard this. Jinyoung stood at the side of the bed where Jio lies, eyes wide and surprised, locked with Mark's swollen ones. He lost track of how many seconds have passed with him just staring at Mark who is looking straight at him with that unreadable expression. Or maybe it wasn't really that hard to read. Those eyes directed at him shows nothing but disappointment and hurt. Mark looks at him like he just betrayed him... and the truth is he kinda did.

Jinyoung's hand which is resting on the pillow just above Jio's head clenched into a fist. Averting his eyes from Mark's waiting and questioning gaze was the first thing Jinyoung did. He hoped it will allow him to breathe a little. It suddenly feels suffocating. Mark is just there staring at him, waiting, but Jinyoung can't bring himself to open his mouth up and speak. He wants to, but he can't. And to be honest, he also doesn't know what he should say. He knows. Mark knows. . This is what's running in his head. He is not prepared for this. The he's not! When Jaebum called him up a while ago, all his thoughts were wrapped around Jio and his prayer for his son to be safe. When he walked inside the hospital room, all he wanted was to see his son. He just wanted to see with his own two eyes that Jio really is safe now and far from danger. But having Mark in front of him, with eyes asking for answers and the explanation he deserves to get... this is not what Jinyoung has expected.

Mark didn't say anything more which just added to the anxiety Jinyoung is feeling. He knows if there is anyone in the room who should speak... it is him. Heaving a sigh, Jinyoung speaks up. "Mark... I-"

But before he could say anything more, the door opened, revealing a female nurse. "Good evening." She bowed to greet them. "I just need to check on our little Jio here."

Jinyoung cleared his throat before he moved to the side, a bit further from the bed to give space to the nurse so she could do what she needs to do. The nurse bowed at him again before checking on the dextrose.

A second after, the door opened again and inside came Jaebum. The older's eyes first landed on Mark who is standing right across him but when he turned his head, he must have taken notice of Jinyoung who is standing by the foot of the bed. Jaebum's eyes widened a bit upon seeing him.

"Oh. Jinyoung. I didn't know you've already arrived. I just went to settle the bills."

Jaebum's eyes moved like he was watching an intense badminton game. They alternated from left to right, from his to Mark's. Jinyoung could see how heavy the look Mark is giving Jaebum. He was suddenly reminded of how things were back in college, back when he just had met Mark and he was still with Jaebum. There has always been a thick atmosphere around them two. It has always been there. Right then, Jinyoung knew Mark and Jaebum didn't like each other particularly. It is why Jinyoung hesitated at first when Jaebum told him about Jio wanting to spend this day with Mark and him. Jinyoung knew it's not an idea he could consider as nice, but knowing how persistent his son may be, Jinyoung figured that it's easier to just give this one to his son. And now, seeing how Jaebum grew uncomfortable every second which passed with Mark staring at the latter, made Jinyoung want to break the thick air surrounding them.

He was about to do just that when the nurse suddenly spoke, saying she's done checking Jio. 

"May we know when he's gonna wake up?" Jaebum was the first one to ask. "The doctors said he's safe now, isn't he? We just need to know when he'll wake up."

The nurse glanced at his sleeping son before turning to them. "He'll probably wake up tomorrow. Just until the dosage wears out. Your son will wake up." She bowed and left after Jaebum thanked her.

As Jaebum approached Jio and held his tiny hand, Jinyoung could only watch as Mark clenched his own. He could see how Mark kept all his words in. He could see so much emotions wanting to burst out of him, but Mark is still keeping it altogether. For each second that passed, Jinyoung felt his heart growing heavier.

"Jaebum." He called on the latter, reaching to touch his arm. "Can you watch over Jio for a moment?"

Jaebum looked at him with questioning eyes but after a few seconds, he just gave him a brief nod. "Alright."

When Jinyoung turned to Mark, he saw how the older's eyes lingered on his hand which was still on Jaebum's arm. Instinctively, he removed his hand and cleared his throat. "Mark... we should go and talk outside."

He expected that the older would answer to his call and would rise from his seat to follow him. They need this talk- a talk which is long overdue but nevertheless still very much needed. Especially now that he's seeing how his lies took a toll on Mark. Jinyoung wouldn't let this night pass without the two of them finally talking.

Jinyoung already has his back partially turned but gazing sideward, he could see how Mark kept his head down, still holding onto their son's hand. Heaving a sigh, he decided to call the older once again. "Mark?" Yet still, there was no response. He sighs again as he closed his eyes for a brief moment, pinching the bridge of his nose. He opens his mouth to call on the older once again but this time Mark responded abruptly.

"I need to stay with Jio."

The way Mark said it made Jinyoung sigh for the fourth time. Mark still has his eyes averted from his. He could see how Mark is trying to keep his eyes off of him, not wanting to look at him for even the tiniest fraction of a second. Jinyoung felt a tinge of pain because of it but he immediately tells himself that he doesn't have any right to get hurt. Not after what he has done.

"Jaebum will stay with him." Jinyoung said, gesturing towards Jaebum who is just standing a feet away from their son's bed. "Jaebum will stay with Jio while we are having our talk outside-"

"It has always been him." Mark suddenly said, interrupting his words. Now Mark has casted his eyes at him. "It has always been Jaebum who was with my son right from the start. When will it ever be me, huh?"

Jinyoung wasn't able to stop the guilt as it washed through him again like a surging wave. From his side, he clenched both of his hands into fists. He shut his eyes tightly for a short second before speaking again. "That is why we need to talk." Staring back at those heavy eyes. "Come on, Mark. We both know that we need this."

There was a wordless response which came in almost a minute after. But Jinyoung waited until Mark had let go of Jio's hand, glancing at their son for the last time before he stood from his seat. Jinyoung took it as his cue to leave the room, certain that Mark will follow him this time.

 

◦◦,`°.✽✦✽.◦.✽✦✽.°`,◦◦

 

The rooftop of the hospital was as good as empty. There were a few people who are mostly nurses and staffs of the hospital who are probably taking their breaks. Jinyoung knew that him and Mark will need all the privacy they could get so he walked until they got to the furthest part of the rooftop. There are a few benches situated under very tree planted around the area. Jinyoung sat on one, expecting that Mark will follow suit. When the older did, only then did Jinyoung decided to speak.

"I don't need to say it again." he trails of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter