Six

Keeping You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

No one has to know

 

It was a usual Saturday, and for more than a month now, a usual Saturday for Mark involves him and his friends babysitting Jio.

The five of them were all gathered around Jio who is as he usually does playing with his toy cars. There's a couple more toy cars added to his collection since just last week, Yugyeom and Bambam went grocery shopping but ended up buying a whole set of toy cars for the little kid. Jio is thrilled of course, but Jinyoung quite isn't, saying he doesn't want his son to get spoiled. But probably seeing how happy his new toy cars had made Jio, as the little bub's father, it's impossible not to be moved by it.

So as what he was saying, they were all in the living room, when Jinyoung suddenly announced, "Jio's going to school."

"Like a real school, hyung?" Bambam asked.

Jinyoung nodded. "Kindergarten." He answered briefly while bumping the firetruck against Lightning Mcqueen earning a complain from Jio who tried to keep his Lightning Mcqueen from his appa's firetruck. "I already taught him the basics, letter recognition and tracing as well. He also knows how to count up to twenty and could recognize the primary and secondary colors so, I think he's ready for kindergarten."

"Oh I bet, Jio is super excited." Jackson cooed, ruffling the kid's hair. 

"I am, daddy Seunnie!" Jio cheerfully said, bouncing right beside him that Mark felt the need to hold him down. The kid tends to get too active when he's excited, Mark could attest to that.

"You're ready for school, buddy?" Mark asks and Jio nods eagerly. "Alright, you need to promise to always do well in school."

"Jio promise." Mark smiled at that. "Jio will study to fly airplane someday." 

"Oh, you want to fly airplanes. Like a pilot?"

"Yes." Jio nods again. "If I fly airplane, I can follow papa everywhere he go. I will always see papa." 

There was nothing wrong with what Jio has said. It's what the kid wants, and true enough, is there any kid who wouldn't like to always see their dad and be with them? Of course Jio is not an exception. Of course Jio would want to always be with his dad. Ignoring the creeping feeling in his heart, Mark smiles it off and ruffled Jio's hair. It's illogical to feel like this towards Jaebum.

 

*⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*

 

"Would they be annoyed if I ask for more ketchup?" Bambam asks.

"No, they won't. Go and ask for mustard also." Yugyeom nudges the Thai.

 

It's dinner time and they decided to stop by a burger joint after leaving from Jinyoung's. They could have just headed straight to their own respective places but much to the younger ones' insisting, here the five of them are, eating burger and nachos for dinner.

"How did your presentation go, Jae?" Mark asked the younger who was seated beside him, eating his second cheeseburger. 

"It went fine, hyung. I almost panicked because my laptop refused to cooperate in the beginning but, I managed to make it function before the presentation formally started." 

He smiled at Youngjae and reached to tap his back. "I knew you could do it."

"Thanks, hyung." Youngjae smiled.

"You're lucky you didn't stutter." Jackson butts in, while drinking his large coke. 

"And why would I? I speak Korean fluently, unlike you hyung."

And before Jackson could bark back, Mark shoved some nachos in the chinese's mouth, shutting him up. It'll only go longer if he let those two get on with their bickering. These man childs... when would they stop arguing over small things?

 

"Could you guys believe it? Jio is going to school." Bambam said, re-opening the topic while munching on his fries. 

They were still at the said burger joint, finishing their ordered food. Basically, they're just waiting for Yugyeom and Bambam to finish up because him, Jackson and Youngjae were already done eating. 

"He's already four, anyway. It's about time he goes to kindergarten." Youngjae said, leaning back on his chair.

"And I am sure Jio will find it easy to adjust." Jackson added. "If there's one thing he got from Jinyoung, it's the ability to make everyone like him."

Mark agrees with what Jackson has said but he didn't nod like how his friends did. Jackson is right, Jio would make it very easy for anyone to like him. Just like his appa. It's very easy to like Jinyoung- what the hell, Mark? Clearing his throat, he decided to join the conversation.

"Right. There's nothing to worry about. Jio will do fine in school." Mark just told his friends.

"But you knoww, I wonder how it feels to send your child to school." Bambam was back to talking again. "Back then my mom was so worried she wanted to stay beside me for the whole time I was at daycare."

"My mom did too." Yugyeom commented. "And I think that's normal. Moms are usually like that."

"Right. So I bet Jinyoung hyung is equally worried and anxious too, don't you think?" They heard the Thai. "He really got his hands tied not only with Jio but also with his work. It's a good thing his work could be done at home or else he will have lesser time with Jio."

Mark agrees. It's a good thing Jinyoung's work can be done even at home. Jinyoung only reports to work physically during Sundays which is why he needed to leave Jio under his care much to his willingness of course. 

"But at least we are here to help Jinyoung hyung out, right?" Youngjae said making the rest of their group nod in agreement. "Just like the old times." The younger added, glancing briefly at him.

"Yeah, just like the old times. But I sometimes wonder what if things turned out differently and it was Mark and Jinyoung hyung who ended up together?" There was no immediate reply to what Bambam has said but the Thai was already talking again. "What if it was their child who is about to go to kindergarten? I bet Mark hyung will be all hyped up about it, but probably be more anxious than how Jinyoung hyung would be."

Mark starts to hate how awkward the air around them suddenly turned. And Bambam, probably after sensing how awkward he had made the entire conversation could only purse his lips. "I think I should shut up now."

Yugyeom saying "you better" ought to silence the Thai for good.

 

*⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*

 

The sound of his door bell ringing made Mark stand up from watching the morning news. Passing by the mirror, he checked how he look first. He already have showered although it's too early for his usual time of showering during his non-working days. But it's Sunday. And because it has been a routine already, he's expecting for Jinyoung to drop his son by before going to work.

Fixing his hair slightly, he turned to open the door.

"Good morning." Jinyoung greeted him with his usually bright smile. He's holding Jio's small hand and upon seeing him, the little guy waved his free hand at him saying, "Good morning, daddy Mark."

He opened the door wider and stepped a bit to the side to make way. "Good morning. Come in."

 

Usually, Jinyoung just drops Jio at his place and leaves shortly after to head to work. Mark doesn't fail to invite Jinyoung to eat breakfast with them but the younger always say that he'll just grab a subway sandwich while on his way to work.

But today is different since Jinyoung said yes to eating breakfast together. 

With this, Mark cooked faster than his usual speed. He cooked fried rice and bacon and eggs. He also fried

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter