Chapter xix

This Love Undecagon...

The practice room had cleared out and had left Junho, Chansung and Kass alone in the empty room. Junho’s gaze was still fixated on the piece of paper Chansung had passed him. His flawless and foolproof plan had failed; after staying up all night with Chansung, marking and practicing for the Secret Santa selection, it failed. It failed. Completely, utterly, and epically.


“Yah, what are we supposed to do now?!” Junho spluttered, feeling particularly vindictive that his plan backfired in the most unexpected way possible.


He knew there was no point in feeling angry about it as it had been an accident, but he just couldn’t let it go that he didn’t get the name that he wanted when he had conspired so much for it. He even coerced Chansung and Kass to get on with his grand scheme, all so he could give her the present he bought her. Why couldn’t he just give it to her directly? Junho had thought about that option of course, and he knew, just the way he knew her, that she wouldn’t appreciate the act. At all.


He sighed. “Here,” Junho said, plucking the paper out of Chansung’s hand and handing the younger boy his own. “You wanted her anyway.”


Chansung gave him a surprised but appreciative look. “You got--?”


“Yeah. I got her.” Junho gave him a half-hearted smile. “At least this worked for one of us.”


“Who did you guys get?” Kass asked.


Junho and Chansung exchanged glances and a silent agreement passed between them. “It’s supposed to be a secret Kass.”


Kass pouted and stuck her tongue out at the two boys. “Fine then. Have it your way,” she said before walking out of the practice room.



Junho stared at his computer screen again, now he had to buy a replacement gift for the name he got, and he was all out of sorts, frustrated with how everything had backfired on him. He looked at Chansung who lazed next to him in his room, the maknae was happy, satisfied with himself. If Junho were to be completely selfish about the whole scenario, he wouldn’t have given Chansung the earlier name that had been left for him just so neither of them would get who they wanted. But Junho could never do that to Chansung, and he had resigned to letting the maknae get what he wanted.


“So what are you going to do about the gift?” Chansung asked, referring to the keychain Junho had originally bought.


Junho only shrugged in reply. He didn’t know what to do with the present he had prepared; it just lay there on top of his dresser, wrapped in pretty yellow wrapping paper with silver t. It was a simple gift, but Junho knew she would appreciate something as this much more.


“Why don’t you just give it to her directly?” Chansung spoke again, there was no hint of teasing or condescending in his tone, and Junho turned to face him.


“Chansung-ah, you know how she is. Do you really think she’ll accept it just like that?”


“You don’t know that. You could always just try.”


Chansung had a point, but Junho refused to see it, firmly believing in his reasoning. She wouldn’t accept it simply just like that, but Junho was determined to have her accept it. No matter what.



The mall was filled with last minute shoppers as Renn, Mai, Fuu, and Kass made their way through the entrance. The four of them had managed to find a day-off together and the two maknaes had successfully convinced the two older girls to go shopping for the Secret Santa they were having with 2PM.


“Whose idea again was it to do this whole Secret Santa thing?” Mai asked, completely skeptical about the whole situation.


“Aww come on Mai-ah, get into the holiday spirit,” Fuu told her playfully. Personally, she thought the Secret Santa gift exchange was a great idea.


“Yeah, it’s fun umma. Loosen up, it’s the holiday season after all. Besides we haven’t really hung out like this out of the dorm and office, take it as a roommate bonding time,” Kass added with a cheerful smile. As the girls walked a few more steps, Kass suddenly spun around, stopping the girls with an outstretched arm. “Hey hey! Who did you guys get?” she asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.


Renn turned to look at Kass in surprise, as if the maknae had interrupted her train of thoughts. “Who, what?”


“Who did you guys get?” Kass repeated eagerly, her hands clasped together.


“Oh, I got-”


“Hey!” Fuu interjected, cutting the oldest off. “It’s called Secret Santa for a reason. It won’t be a surprise if you tell.” Fuu turned to Kass pointed her index finger at her. “And you. No asking,” she told the maknae with a grin. Although she trusted Mai to be too annoyed to answer, she figured that if Kass were to ask Renn again, her unnie would most likely give in.


“But-”


“No buts,” Fuu stated as they continued onwards towards the stores that lines the sides.


The mall was littered with people because of the fast approaching holiday, and Mai quickly turned to her roommates to remind them about keeping together and getting lost as if she were talking to children. Although she might as well have been after considering Renn and Kass with her.


They passed by a couple of boutiques and stalls, all four of them unsuccessful in finding the perfect gift for whomever it was they got. Mai kept a close watch on all three of her roommates. She could trust Fuu to stick next to her, Kass she could at least call since she knew the maknae always had her cellphone with her, it was her unnie that was worrying her- especially with that dreamy, lost-looking expression on Renn’s face.


“Umma! I think I found something!” Kass exclaimed, and before Mai could grab hold of the younger girl, Kass had already disappeared into the crowd.


Kass saw it on display, the present she was going to get for the exchange even though she had been on the fence on whether or not to carry through with the rigged Secret Santa. She had gotten the name she least expected to get, and Kass had thought maybe she could’ve talked one of her roommates, one in particular, into swapping with her but it seemed as though, staying true to the Secret Santa nature, that the roommate was content with the name she received. Kass decided that what was done was done and she couldn’t pass up the chance to give this gift to the receiver as it was perfect for the giftee in all senses of the word. She the black and yellow cap in her hands, feeling the weight and the make of it. She was no expert, and she really liked the design on it but she at least wanted to make sure it was of good quality. Finally satisfied, she bounced towards the cashier, happy with her purchase.


It was, as the boys would always say, daebak, but perhaps not in the context they usually meant it. It wasn’t on the front side of the display racks and Renn surprised herself for even finding it in the first place. It was perfect for him nonetheless- or rather, perfect for her to give to him. The painfully yellow shirt with the seagreen and red was shocking to say the least. It wasn’t the best of graphic shirts, but it would have to do. At least for Renn, it sent the message that she didn’t care as much- that was how it played out in her mind at least. She could see it now, him opening the gift, and a less than happy smile gracing his features.


Mai turned back to Fuu after losing Kass entirely and immediately noticed something. “Where’s Renn?” she asked.


Fuu stared back at her dumbstruck. She turned to her side and the other, but the eldest was nowhere to be found. “She was here just a second ago!”


Sighing in defeat, Mai wasn’t surprised, deciding to just go on without the two. “Let’s just leave them a message to meet somewhere after an hour or two.” Fuu nodded and continued walking with Mai down the mall streets.


“Have you found anything for your Secret Santa Mai?” Fuu spoke up. They had passed a number of shops but neither of them stopped to go inside. Mai shook her head.


“Nope. I think I have an idea on what to get, but I’m not sure. What about you?” Instead of answering, Fuu suddenly stopped and spotted the ideal gift for her chosen person. Mai followed the younger girl’s gaze into a small boutique shop and she sighed, knowing that Fuu had most likely spotted the perfect gift for her Secret Santa, and Renn and Kass had probably found their gifts too, so she was the only one left still searching for something to buy.


Fuu turned to look at Mai and the older girl gave her a nod and they both headed to the boutique shop. They were about to enter when Mai suddenly backtracked, turning to look at a store a few blocks down.


Fuu walked up to the shelf and picked up each item that caught her eye. The hats on display were all of different styles and colours but one had stood out to Fuu the most. She picked up the light caramel coloured hat and placed it on her head to try it out. Her giftee was known for wearing such head attire and she decided this would be a great add to their collection. She didn’t fail to notice the soft velvet-like touch the hat was made out of and the small dark brown satin strip on the underlay rim of the hat.


“I think this is it,” Fuu said, lifting the hat from her head and turning to show Mai, only to find the older girl missing. Fuu narrowed her eyes as she looked around, scanning the crowd. She pursed her lips as she headed to the cashier to pay, opting to look for the older girl after she’d bought her gift.


Mai had spotted a music store, disappearing from Fuu’s side to make her way over. She eyed the numerous albums, letting her fingers glide across the covers before she stopped at a rack. She flicked through multiple CDs before reaching the one she had in mind. Picking it up, she brushed her thumb lightly over the surface, noticing the simple graphics centered on the cover in a grey-blue outline. Her eyes briefly glanced at the price as she debated on the gift.


To be honest, Mai wasn’t sure if her Secret Santa had already gotten this exact album. It was fairly new, and she remembered the individual mentioning listening to this particular artist, albeit a while back, but she personally liked the music choice, and she really couldn’t think of what else to get. Making up her mind, she approached the counter and paid the amount stated. The cashier asked if she wanted it gift wrapped and Mai nodded- it would save her the time and money finding appropriate wrapping for the item. Satisfied with her purchase, she made her way out of the music store only to bump into Fuu.


“There you are. I was wondering where you disappeared off to Mai-ah,” Fuu said with a smile.


“Sorry, got an idea for a gift and I didn’t want to forget it.” Mai held up her plastic bag that contained her recently purchased gift. “Well I found something, should we meet up with the other two now?” Fuu just nodded and made her way beside Mai as they went to find their designated meeting place.


They found Renn, gift in her hand, standing near the fountain, eyes distant as she looked upwards towards the open ceiling. Just as they were about to call out her name, Kass’ voice reached their ears, and they looked behind them to see the maknae running towards them with a paper bag in her hands as well.


“Unnie! Where did you two go? Now we can’t hang out because we need to get back to the office now!”


Mai shook her head slowly at Kass. “Fuu Mi, call Renn over, we can go back together.”