Surprise

The Strongest Bond

 

“Oh!” Sehun grabbed a picture frame that stood on one of the shelves in the living room. “Why do you have a memory of an accident on display?” he asked confused. “Is it to remind you so it doesn't happen again?” he waved the picture.

“What do you mean?” Jongin stood up to see what picture he was holding. It was from his 5 year old birthday party.

“The cake is ON FIRE!!” Sehun said dramatically, holding the picture far away from himself like it could burst into flames at any moment.

Jongin laughed.

“It's me, when I was five.” he grinned, taking the picture from Sehun and having a better look at it. He loved that photo. He looked so happy in it. It was the last birthday they celebrated together as a family, he, his dad and his mom.

“I'm glad you survived! You didn't get hurt, did you?” Sehun asked with worried eyes. Ah, that cutie.

“Don't worry, I didn't. It wasn't an accident, the cake is supposed to look like that.” Jongin tried explaining.

“So you set the cake on fire? On purpose?” Sehun gasped. “Why? It's dangerous!”.

“Mmm yes and no.” Jongin chuckled.

They sat down at the kitchen table and Jongin explained that they had been celebrating the fifth anniversary of his birth, and that the cake itself wasn't on fire, only the candles that had been stuck into it, realizing as he described it that it really was a weird tradition.

“So you set fire to the candles only to blow the fire out right away?” Sehun peered his eyes, his brain working overtime to understand this seemingly pointless tradition.

“Yeah, but when you blow them out, you can make a wish.” Jongin said in a mysterious voice.

“Ooh! What kind of wish?” Sehun asked, interested.

“You can ask for anything you want, it's your wish.” Jongin chuckled.

“Woah!” Sehun's eyes doubled. “Anything I want!”.

“Yeah, and when you've blown out the candles, we take them off and eat the cake, and the one who's birthday it is can have the first and the biggest piece. Chocolate cake!” Jongin told him.

“Chocolate!!” Sehun's eyes glazed over.

“And then, everyone gives you presents!” Jongin added, feeling all excited because Sehun was so excited.

“Presents! What's in the presents?!?” Sehun rested his chin on his palm, focusing on Jongin, not intending to miss a single detail about this strange but amazing day.

“You don't know! You have to open the presents to find out! And each present is different.” Jongin said theatrically, loving the attention.

“Waaaou!” Sehun's face glowed.

“What do you guys do for your birthday?” Jongin asked Sehun, but regretted it instantly, as the light that lit up Sehun's face was abruptly turned off, leaving only shadows.

“We don't have birthdays.” Sehun's smile turned upside down.

“If I had a wish, I would wish for an Earth birthday.” he added.

“But we don't have birthdays, so I can't even make a birthday wish for an Earth birthday.” Sehun pouted.

An idea was born. Jongin knew just what to do.

 

Jongin introduced Sehun to the invention of the television. He put on cartoons and Sehun was glued to the screen from second one. Some Garfield reruns were on.

“You don't have anything like this at home?” Jongin asked, surprised.

“Eh, we have much better technology than this, but we always use it for educational purposes. This is way more fun! I like wasting time.” Sehun giggled.

“So, eh, I'm going to go out for some supplies, are you alright with waiting here for a little while, I won't be long.” Jongin promised, hoping Sehun wouldn't give him any trouble.

Sehun hesitated, biting his lower lip, looking like he was about to protest, but then Garfield tricked Odie the dog into a contest of who would be the first to run into the wall. Garfield did of course not participate and made Odie crash into the wall all by himself. Sehun roared with laughter.

“Okay.” Sehun said between laughter fits, waving him away.

“Evil cat. He never tells the truth! He says one thing and then does something else completely!” Sehun snickered, amazed.

 

 

Jongin had never shopped as efficiently in his life. He went to the supermarket, getting party supplies, hats and paper plates, finding ones with Garfield on them, perfect! He picked up a cake on his way out, oh, and candles. He could not forget the candles!

 

When he got back home, Jongin went to the barn for a moment, to prepare everything. He folded out a camping table and a couple of camping chairs. He placed the cake on the middle of the table, sticking the candles on it. He really hoped Sehun would like it, a thousand and one butterflies fluttering around in his gut in anticipation.