Driving Miss Sehun

The Strongest Bond

 

Sehun was driving Jongin crazy. Jongin couldn't go to the toilet without receiving at least a hundred text messages. He was going insane. He wished he had never taught him to text. And it wasn't like they were normal, coherent messages. It was the attack of the emoticons! He had no idea what half of them even meant. And if he didn't reply right that second, Sehun would throw a fit. It would have been annoying, if it wasn't so darn cute. Why was he so cute? It was killing him. Especially because he knew their time together was limited.

One day, another spaceship would appear in his backyard, and it was going to be bye-bye Sehun, forever. Jongin's insides squirmed uncomfortably. That would be giving a new meaning to a long distance relationship. He would be lying if he hadn't considered going with him, either asking if he could go, or just go as a stowaway without anyone knowing, springing out of hiding the moment they arrived to Exor. Then it hit him, he didn't even know if there was oxygen on Exor, or if there was anything edible. And more importantly, he couldn't leave his dad all alone. It was enough for him to have to lose his mom, he couldn't make him lose his son too.

It was going to be the hardest thing he had ever done, but he was going to have to let Sehun go. It was the only way. But Jongin had decided to try not to dwell on it too much. All they could do was enjoy their remaining time together.

 

And so, Jongin started his plan of trying to make as many and as happy memories as they could, until Sehun left. That way, they would both have something to hold onto as they tried to survive an eternity apart, the memories of each other's smiling faces. The image of Sehun's crooked smile flashed before his mind's eye and he instantly started giggling.

 

“Come on, you.” Jongin snatched the phone out of Sehun's clutches and put it on the table, dragging Sehun up on his feet.

“Uh! I was in the middle of a game. I was winning!” Sehun pouted, not understanding why Jongin was being so unfair and inconsiderate.

“I have something much more fun planned.” Jongin grinned widely.

“Oh! What! What?!” Sehun jumped up and down like an excited puppy anticipating a treat.

“I'm not going to tell you. You just have to trust me and come with me.” Jongin chuckled.

“Not faaair.” Sehun frowned, but was too overcome by his own curiosity that he only managed to be disappointed for half a second.

 

Jongin opened the barn, to reveal a rusty old tractor.

“Ta-DA!” he beamed.

Sehun was less than impressed.

“You were taking me to a museum? I don't like museums, they are boring.” Sehun scrunched his nose.

“It may be past its prime, but it's not ancient! It still works!!” Jongin patted the old tractor with love. There were a lot of times this old beauty had saved his behind at harvest time.

When Sehun saw him being so kind to the tractor, he got jealous, so instead of going back to the house like he was intending to do, he came to Jongin and removed his hand from the tractor and put it on his own head, clearly expecting to receive an equally, if not a more loving pat than the tractor got.

Jongin couldn't but give in and give Sehun what he wanted. He ruffled his hair gently.

 

“I'm going to teach you how to drive!” Jongin exclaimed.

“This thing? Oh, that can't be hard.” Sehun snorted and jumped up into the driver's seat. He looked around for a while like he was looking for something.

“Uhm, where's the control panel?” he scratched his head, confused.

Jongin explained that there was no control panel, that you had to drive it yourself, old school.

“Wait, what?!!? You have to do it all manually?!?!? ...but why? That's so pointless... and such a waste of energy!” Sehun said surprised, looking at Jongin like he had gone insane for even suggesting it.

“It's fun. Just try it.” Jongin chuckled.

“Here, I'll help you.” he added, climbing up onto the driver's seat, making Sehun scoot forward so he could sit behind him and guide him. The moment he sat down and felt Sehun's presence in his arms, he started to think this might not have been the best idea. His whole body started getting warmer and he was having trouble breathing regularly, since his heart was running a marathon inside his chest.

“Okay, you were right, this is already fun!” Sehun giggled and leaned further back, snuggling up to him.

Jongin cleared his throat awkwardly, pushing Sehun away slightly, just so he would be able to think clearly. He didn't know if it was an Exorian thing, or what, but Sehun always smelled insanely good. It was intoxicating.

“Focus, you babo.” Jongin scolded him, giggling, when it was actually he himself that needed to focus.

 

The tractor roared with joy when they switched it on. It hadn't been taken out for a long time. Jongin took Sehun through everything, step by step, and they tried it out together. Jongin put his hand on top of Sehun's and placed it onto the gearshift, showing him how to put it into gear. He told him to press the gas pedal gently as he removed the clutch, but of course Sehun did it all too fast so the engine choked and the tractor died in a puff of smoke.

“Was that supposed to happen?” Sehun coughed and looked back at Jongin with hopeful eyes.

They tried again, and again.

The third time was the charm. The tractor purred and started moving. Sehun squealed with excitement, making the butterflies in Jongin's gut do the same.

Jongin was so distracted by the sudden attack of the butterflies, that he had neglected to look where they were going. Well, he had also, perhaps stupidly, thought it was unnecessary for all they had to do was head straight out, through the barn doors. But somehow Sehun had managed to alter the course of the poor tractor, which was heading straight for the barn wall.

“Aaa! Aaah! Watch where you're going! You have to steer it.” Jongin yelled, but it was like he was speaking Chinese.

“That big, black circle in front of you, you have to turn it.” Jongin explained, grabbing the wheel and turning it sharply to the left. The tractor complained heavily, screeching as if it was yelling 'I'm too old for this ' at the top of its lungs. Jongin silently apologized to it, and steered them out of the barn and onto a deserted path.

 

After a while, and with a lot of help, Sehun started to get the hang of it and they drove through the open fields, wind in their faces under the clear blue sky. Ah, life was good.

Sehun shifted a bit in his seat.

“Uhm, there's something sticking into my back. Is there another gear stick back there or...?” Sehun asked perplexed.

Jongin's startled heart did a cartwheel, and he felt not only his face, but his whole body turn red with embarrassment.

“Ehemm...” he cleared his throat awkwardly as he moved a little bit further backwards, making sure there was a tiny gap between them. “Hehhh... ehh... it's gone now, right... hehh.. just... just ignore it and keep driving...” Jongin mumbled.