Sparks in the Rain

The Year of Heartbreaks (EDITING)
Please log in to read the full chapter

This is not it..

Haneul clicked delete on the software displayed on her computer screen, erasing the music track she just wrote. She sighed and rested her back on the chair she sat on, then swirled the chair using her feet. She needed inspiration. Her work had not been progressing much today and she slowly felt frustrated by it. Looking around her studio room at JYPE, the four walls trapping her in her work station suddenly felt so suffocating. She needed to go outside.

A place came to her mind, the cafe she and Junho went to some time ago. Yep, let's just go there, she decided and waltzed outside the room without forgetting to check that she indeed had her laptop inside her brown leather backpack she brought to work this morning.

It was a sunny day, she realized when her car climbed outside the company's basement. It's good she decided to come out instead of working under the superficial lighting all day long. After driving by so many people walking in the sunlight, she finally gave up to the temptation to enjoy the good weather somewhere nice. She turned the steering wheels to head to a park by the Han river she knew was the right place to enjoy such a good day.

Once there, she sat on the grass under the shade of a tree and sighed in content when the summer breeze hit her face. The Han river was glistening up front from the sun hitting on its surface, and the park was semi deserted with only a small number of people taking rest on the provided benches. Feeling slightly guilty of skipping work, she took her laptop and headphone from inside her bag. She might be able to compose something nice in this place, she hoped. Nature was indeed the best place to gain inspiration from, as she immediately felt her mind was full of notes ready to be written into a song.

Time went by so slowly and fast at the same time as she finally found herself being satisfied at the half-completed song in front of her. She decided she would finish the rest later on the day and took off her headphone. She noticed that it was past lunchtime when she saw the time on her phone, but she was enjoying herself too much to go ahead and eat at the moment. Lunch could wait, she decided. Her phone's notification light signaled that she got some messages and unanswered calls. She called back the first name on the missed calls list.

"Hey, what's up? You called?" she greeted once the line connected.

"Yeah! Finally," Junho's voice was heard across the line, "Where are you? You're not at the office, and you're not home either."

"Wow, so this is how it feels to have a fan," she joked, "You actually checked my house?"

"Of course!" Junho immediately said, "Okay, well, that sounds pretty stalker-ish, I mean I did drop by to your house on my way to get lunch, just because it's nearby."

"Hahahaha no need to explain. I'm sorry I missed your call, so, why did you call?"

"I was going to ask you out for lunch, but well..I couldn't find you. Where the hell are you?" he asked again.

Haneul told him where she was and he asked her to wait for him there. She didn't have the intention to leave soon so after the line was dropped she took the moment to continue basking in the sunlight before the fall season finally came in the next couple of weeks.

After a while, Junho came from across the grass field sporting a big sunglasses and a baseball cap. A classic idol get-up. Looking at the pale-skinned guy, she involuntary smiled and absentmindedly thought about how dashing he looked walking under the sun in his blue jeans and white tshirt.

What did I just think about?! Haneul's eyes widen and she cursed to herself.

"Oh God, the sun must have been making me crazy," she murmurred to herself and looked elsewhere away from Junho who was closing in on her.

"What?" Junho asked as he got in front of her.

"Eh? What?" Haneul asked back, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

"You looked like you were talking to yourself," Junho said matter-of-factly as he sat beside her on the grass.

"Ah, it's nothing. I just said it is hot here, the sun is too strong," she shrugged  trying to be nonchalant as she fanned herself.

"Really? I think it's nice here with the cool breeze. Could it be because you're out here too long? I'm sorry I got caught in traffic." Junho said feeling bad for making her wait.

"No, no. It's okay. I enjoyed it here."

"What were you doing out here?" Junho looked around and asked, although he soon found himself enjoying the weather too.

"Isn't it nice? It's been so long since I just sat around outside like this, makes me realize that people shouldn't be cooped up inside a building whole day," 

"I get what you're saying.." Junho took off his hat and let the wind blew on his brownish hair. He noticed the laptop and headphone sitting on the grass beside Haneul, "So, you worked on some songs here?"

"Yeah, inspirations suddenly hit me earlier. I'll let you listen to it later when it's finished,"

"Cool! Anyway, I've been wanting to ask you this. Why did you start composing?"

"Hm. Good question," she looked up trying to find the right words to explain her reason in making music, "Did you know how we all have something tying us up with certain memories? Like, when you smell a perfume your ex used to wear and suddenly being reminded of some things about them?" she firstly asked.

"Mmhm." Junho slowly nodded, trying to figure out how it was relevant to his question.

"I personally think that music has the same effect. A music, for example, a song that we used to hear or play during a certain pe

Please log in to read the full chapter