Heavy Hearts

The Year of Heartbreaks
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Why are you here?" 

Haneul asked surprised when she saw Wooyoung stood in front of her apartment door once she got home from the concert. She punched in her password and kicked her shoes open once she and Wooyoung entered the apartment.

"Ah, I just finished my schedule and thought I'd drop by,"

"No, I mean why didn't you just go inside instead of waiting in the hallway," she explained as they made a beeline into the house.

"Well, I was afraid, in case you don't want to be bothered tonight.." Wooyoung stratched his head, feeling slightly awkward of his own answer.

"Nonsense. It's not like I ever minded," Haneul chuckled and threw her bag on the couch. She walked into her kitchen and grabbed two bottles of water for her and Wooyoung. She then joined him who already invited himself first on the living room.

"Are you okay though?" Wooyoung shot at her.

"About what?" Haneul asked casually as she made herself comfortable.

"You seemed off earlier tonight. I thought you'd be energized after the concert. Something's wrong?"

Nothing really get past your eyes, Woo.. Haneul realized.

"Did I? Maybe I'm just tired, this week has been crazy with all the concert preparation," she avoided looking directly into his eyes, didn't want to be caught lying.

"Is that all?" Wooyoung squinted his eyes in suspicion.

"Yes. Nothing else, just tired," she opened in a big yawn to convey him. She did feel tired, although she knew it wasn't the answer Wooyoung was expecting.

For a split second, Haneul coincidentally locked eyes with him before she directed her gaze elsewhere pretending to look for something.

"You're lying. What is it, Haneul-ah?" Wooyoung insisted.

"Really, Woo, nothing. I'm fine, I'm good. Happy as a chipmunk!" she said hoping to sound cheerful.

She heard a sigh came from beside her, letting her know that Wooyoung finally decided to give up asking. A tiny bit of guilt rested in her heart for being dishonest with him, but she just couldn't tell him the truth. The loneliness she felt after seeing Junho's family was for her to feel alone, she couldn't share it with Wooyoung.

Not after everything he and his family had done for Haneul. She felt extremely ungrateful to say that what they had given her was not enough to mend the gawking wound inside her. Deep down her heart, she was still the same lonely little girl. It was a part of her that she never showed to anyone.

Except Junho.. she remembered what happened after the concert. Her heart suddenly skipped a beat at the thought of him.

"What are you thinking about?" Wooyoung's voice pulled her mind back into the room, "Spill,"

"I'm just tired," she repeated.

"Go rest, then. I'll let myself out later," he said while lazily laid down on the couch and went through the television channels.

Haneul walked inside her bedroom and changed into her pajama after washing her face in the bathroom. She pulled down the cover on her bed and curled inside her comforter trying to ease her mind. There was no use in feeling down, she told herself, there's nothing she could do about her reality.

Nonexistent parents would not suddenly popped in her life. It's not like she wanted to either. She just wanted the black dot weighing her heart to be gone. She wanted to feel whole again.

Despite her best effort to calm her mind, the only thing making her felt slightly better was the noise from the television outside her room. Also the sounds Wooyoung made when he commented on something he saw on the screen. It made her felt less lonely, just like how it was when she was still living in his family home.

She slowly got up from the bed, grabbed her pillow and blanket, and strutted outside the room.

"Hey, I thought you're sleeping. Am I making too much noise?" Wooyoung asked seeing her practically dragged the whole bed to the living room.

"Stay," she said almost in a whisper.

"Eh?"

"Please stay for the night.." she hesitantly said as she threw her pillow on the carpet and buried herself inside the fluffy blanket, "And keep the TV on,"

Haneul sought comfort from her blanket, tightly held it close to her body, hoping that it could finally coaxed her into a peaceful sleep. The comfort came soon after from above her, when she felt a warm hand softly caressing her head. 

"Whatever you're thinking, save it for tomorrow," Wooyoung said.

"Hm," she shortly responded.

"In case you forget, you know you can tell me everything, right?"

"Neh,"

Wooyoung's gentle continued as the comfort gradually lulled her to sleep. However, it seemed like she wasn't the only one dealing with a heavy heart tonight.

"Junho was looking for you, did you meet him?" her heart skipped another beat when Wooyoung suddenly popped out a question.

"He was?" she asked back to cover her nervousness, "No, I didn't.."

Why the hell am I lying? She cursed to herself.

"Really?"

"Mmhm. I didn't see him again before I went home," another lie came out of her lips.

She didn't know why she must lied. She realized she hadn't really being honest to Wooyoung about Junho lately. The sudden tension she felt on his hand on top of her head made her realize why. Wooyoung's tone of voice each time Junho was mentioned kept putting her on her toes.

Unlike he used to, Wooyoung always tensed up whenever Junho was around. It became weird between them when they talked about him. Haneul hated that, especially if she had to deal with it again tonight.

What will happen if I tell him the truth? she wondered, feeling uneasy.

Please log in to read the full chapter