Thorn in One's Side

The Year of Heartbreaks (EDITING)
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Okay! We're all set!" Haneul's voice echoed inside the venue of Junho's concert after the singer concluded his last song for the sound rehearsal, "Thank you everyone, let's keep up the good work for tonight's show!" Junho saw her thanked the whole staffs.

"No thanks for me?" Junho talked using his microphone to Haneul who was at the sound mixer booth about fifty meters across from the stage. He saw Haneul laughed as she walked towards the stage to approach him.

Today was the first day of his solo concert in Seoul, and also the very first time he did his rehearsal with Haneul directing at the sound booth. During the rehearsal, he couldn't help but being distracted from time to time by the short-haired woman in front of the stage. She looked as excited as he did, and it had caused some tingling sensations inside his stomach the whole time. She was his team, they were a team.

Haneul was his for today.

"Later, after you finish the actual concert," Haneul said in a joke once she climbed up the stage and got in front of him.

"Aish, fine..I really shouldn't forget how strict you are at work," he said as he took out his in-ear monitors and handed them to her, "Are you done for now? Will you come to the waiting room with me?"

"I still have to look for another set of these, for backup," she indicated to his ear pieces, "I'll come to you later, is there any food there? I'm starving.."

"Why do you always skip your meals?! I'm sure there're some, let's eat together then. I'll wait for you," Junho said. It always concerned him that Haneul seemed to constantly forget about eating.

"Sure, see you there!" Haneul tapped his shoulder lightly and ran down the stage again to continue her remaining task, with Junho's eyes following her every movement until she disappeared from his sight.

How does such a tiny person have that much energy without eating? He shook his head slowly and chuckled.

"What are you laughing at?" Taecyeon who just arrived at the stage tried to follow where Junho was looking at, "Ahh..." he said after catching a glimpse of Haneul on another side of the venue.

"Hyung! You came!" Junho opened his arms and hugged the older guy in delight.

"Duh, of course. So, rehearsal is done? Any problem?" Taecyeon asked as they walked down the stage.

"No, all's good. All that is left is the concert, I hope there will be no issue later," Junho hoped, he always be more nervous on solo concerts than when together with 2PM.

They went into Junho's waiting room and greeted by Wooyoung and Nickhun inside. As he expected, there were food boxes from his fans and Nickhun also brought some snacks. Taecyeon immediately went for the snacks while Junho sat in front of the mirror to get his make up and hair done. Chansung and JunK came a little while later with drinks.

As they're making conversation among themselves, Nickhun arranged the foods on the table. He saw another unopened restaurant's plastic bag at the couch and asked about it.

"Oh, this is Haneul's. I figured she wouldn't bother eating, so I bought this for her," Junho heard Wooyoung answered casually, "Where is she anyway?"

"I saw her outside earlier, I think's she's still busy with preparation," Taecyeon said in between his munching.

"She'll be here later," Junho said shortly as the make up artist put gel on his hair, "I asked her to eat together," he added, unintentionally putting an emphasize on the fact that she will come for him. The tension on his voice didn't left unrecognized by Taecyeon. He glanced at Wooyoung to see his reaction but relieved that the dancer seemed to be unbothered. Or, pretended to be.

Junho saw Wooyoung stole a quick glance at him from the mirror, his expression unreadable. Junho chose to busy himself with his phone trying not to overthink. It made him uncomfortable realizing that the topic about Haneul always result in a bitter feeling towards Wooyoung. He shouldn't be like that, he thought, the guy was his own friend.

Haneul entered the room as the stylist helped him changed into his stage costume; white jeans and a black studded leather jacket on top of a black tank. He saw her threw herself on the empty side of the couch.

"Hi, everyone's here!" she greeted the members who were eating, "Can I join? I'm starving,"

"Take this, Wooyoung brought it for you," Nickhun handed her the meal box he had besides him.

"Wow! I love you!" Haneul exclaimed in excitement seeing the logo of her favorite restaurant chain. 

On the other end of the couch, Wooyoung raised his hands and formed a heart above his head, "Love you too,"

Taecyeon chuckled at the exchange between the two, followed by the others' similar reaction. Junho, however, couldn't find it funny. Jealousy instantly clouded his mind, making his head went blank for a short moment. He didn't realized Haneul was calling his name until Chansung threw a crumpled paper at him.

"Yah! I think he's nervous about the concert," Chansung commented. Junho collected himself and turned to Haneul.

"What did you say?" he asked.

"I said, did you eat yet? Yours seems untouched," Haneul motioned to the meal box on top of the make up counter.

"Ah, I have no appetite, maybe later," he gave her a thin smile.

Done with their share of work, the make up artist and stylists excused themselves from the room to give everyone a little bit of privacy. After an amount of time spent chatting and joking around, JunK stood up and invited the others to leave the room, "Let's take a look around and go to our seats!"

"Good luck, Junho-ah!" Taecyeon patted Junho's shoulder and followed JunK outside.

"Good luck man!" the other members shout out more encouragement for him, "See you after the concert!"

Junho waved his hands and thanked them. He then took a seat on top of the make up counter across from Haneul who was the only one left in the room.

"Take your time, eat slowly.." he said to her who was still eating.

"I have to go too," she answered as she gulped her drink.

"There's still quiet a lot of time before the concert starts, stay here for a while." Junho asked, hoping to spend some alone time with her. Haneul approached him and joined him sitting on the counter.

"Okay, but you must eat. Take this," Haneul put chopsticks with a mandoo between them at his mouth. Before he couldn't really register it, he opened his mouth and ate it. Now that he got food in his mouth, he realized that he was hungry afterall. And, having Haneul fed him like this felt good.

"Don't be nervous, you'll do great," she said after he ate his third mandoo.

"Well, thank you," Junho rested his back against the mirror, "I need to hear that from you,"

"Why does it matter what I said?"

Because I like you? A voice rang through his mind.

Junho shrugged, leaving no answer. Haneul's forehead creased in confusion. Junho chuckled and put his finger on her forehead.

"Don't do that to your pretty head, it'll leave a mark," he joked and instantly saw Haneul blushed a little from his playful touch.

"So, now it's your turn to tease me. Alright, fair enough," she held his finger and took it away from her forehead. She jumped down from where she was sitting and then stood facing him, her fingers still tightly linked with his, "I really need to go now, see you on stage,"

Junho tight

Please log in to read the full chapter