Square One

The Year of Heartbreaks (EDITING)
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Yah! Jang Wooyoung!" a teenage girl shouted outside the bathroom door and loud knocks soon followed, startling the thirteen years old Wooyoung showering inside. "Come out! I need to use the bathroom!" another shout was heard outside the door.

"Aish! A minute!" he washed the last bits of shampoo he got on his hair and turned off the shower. He wrapped a towel on his lower body and opened the bathroom door, "I was showering! Couldn't you wait?"

"It's past seven, we'll be late if I don't get to shower now!" replied the girl while immediately got inside the bathroom with her own towel.

"Who told you to wake up late? I'm going to school without you if you're not done in 15 minutes," Wooyoung shook his head.

"Arasso, I'll be quick!" she closed the bathroom door and Wooyoung headed to his room to get ready for school. He met his mother while walking past the kitchen.

"Aigoo, what's with the noise since morning?" asked his mother despite being amused at the familiar bickering between the two youngsters.

"I'm not the one making the noise!" defended him.

"Both of you are the same. Now, put on some clothes and have breakfast," said his mother in amusement, "I also prepared some lunch boxes for two of you."

Not even ten minutes later, the girl was done with her shower and put on her uniform she brought with her to the bathroom. Exiting the bathroom, she smelled a delicious taste in the air. She followed it and saw a table full of meal.

"Yummmm, can I eat now, eomeoni?" she instantly pulled out a chair, earning an amused laugh from the older lady in the room.

"Yah, agasshi, dry your hair first," a sarcastic remark came from a boy who just came outside his room with a backpack hung on one of his shoulders, "and what's with 'eomeoni'? It's 'eomma' for you missy, right eomma?" the boy made sure to his mother.

"Yes Throw away the formality, call me mom," Wooyoung's mother said warmly, "You're my daughter now."

"Ah.. yes, eomeon- I mean, eomma.." she said carefully but then smiled at the feeling of the words in . It gave her warmth and somehow a sense of security.

 

A ring from her doorbell woke Haneul up from a nostalgic dream. She squinted her eyes trying to open them and gathered herself before walking to the front door of her apartment to open it. She took a glance at her cellphone and saw that it was just six in the morning. Before she even reached the intercom to see who it was, she heard the password was entered and the front door opened. She rolled her eyes. No one she knew would do that except one person.

"Then why did you ring the doorbell? I was asleep!" she groaned in frustration to the man who just entered.

"Exactly. I knew you were sleeping so I rang the doorbell to wake you up," Wooyoung grinned amusedly on the sight in front of him. Haneul was in her favorite blue pajama shorts and oversized white t-shirt, her short black hair messy, and her eyes were half closed.

"Jang Wooyoung!" she shot an angry glare at her bestfriend and sat on the bar stool by the kitchen island, "Aish.. it was such a nice dream.." she mumbled while rubbing her face to compl

Please log in to read the full chapter