Honesty is a Trap

The Year of Heartbreaks (EDITING)
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Is it because of Junho?"

The question echoed in Haneul's head for a moment. It seemed like Wooyoung had it right, but she also didn't feel comfortable admitting that it was indeed Junho that made her feeling slightly worried over him misunderstanding her closeness with Wooyoung.

It just didn't sit right with her how Junho has affected her that way.

Wooyoung's right, why should I care? She told herself defensively.

"Anyway, I just think it would be uncomfortable to have people at the company thinking that way," she ended up said.

"You didn't answer my question though.." Wooyoung said.

"What? Junho? Ey, no way.." Haneul tried to sound unbothered and smiled awkwardly.

Wooyoung surveyed her, trying to see through the mind of his bestfriend who was now fiddling with her phone on the passenger seat. She never really showed that she had any feelings for Junho, but things could change anytime without him knowing it. Moreover, it was also the first time since long that Haneul got so close to another guy.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Haneul asked as she realized Wooyoung was watching her and seemed to be deep in his thoughts , "Look at the road when you're driving!"

"You're just being weird, that's all," Wooyoung shrugged and turned the steering wheels.

"I'm not,"

"Yes, you are, Haneul-ah," he insisted, "I treated you the same as I always does, and it's the first time you ever say you don't like it,"

"...and, you're point being?"

"So, I thought you have someone you like at the company, and I thought it was..," Wooyoung trailed off, "..that person."

"That person? Junho? Hahaha," Haneul laughed at his choice of words, "Why didn't you say his name?"

"Aish..you know who I mean. Yes, Junho."

Haneul fell silent. Wooyoung was her bestest friend for a reason, she thought. It also crossed her mind just earlier that she might have feelings for Junho, but she didn't really understand it herself.

"Junho is great.." she started, "he has the look, he is a gentleman, he is cute sometimes, he is also nice and all,"

"I sense a 'but'," Wooyoung raised one of his eyebrows.

"But, I think I'm not at the age when I can just fall for someone just based on those things," Haneul said truthfully. She was no teenager who falls in and out of love easily.

"So?" 

"So, I don't like Junho that way," Haneul said, almost sure. She always saw Junho as a friend and a colleague. Well, at least before yesterday.

"...yet." Wooyoung whispered aloud, as if he saw through her mind.

"Why are you so sure?" 

"Just a feeling.." he shrugged again, still focusing on the traffic.

"Are you okay with it?" she asked carefully. She didn't know how things might go after this, but she really wanted to know Wooyoung's opinion on it. Afterall, Junho was his friend for so many years. She shifted on her seat so that she could see his reaction better. "I mean, if I ended up liking him?"

The guy sitting next to her inaudibly sighed and pushed the car's honk, then directed a frustrated remark towards the car in front of them, "Yah! Decide which line you want to be already! Don't drive like such a noob!"

"Woo," Haneul softly continued, unbothered by his road rage and still insisted on the question she asked him, "Answer me,"

"Just.. just let me know about it. You promised me, didn't you?" Wooyoung reminded her of the conversation they had the other night. His words shot right into her, she questioned about whether her feelings for Junho really mattered for Wooyoung. 

Would he hate it? If so, should she avoid getting too attached to Junho? Questions filled her mind.

In about 30 minutes, Wooyoung parked at the front of Haneul's apartment building to drop her off. "Get some rest, don't do anything unnecessary at home. I'll check on you in the morning," he said as he unlocked the car's door.

"Arasso, thanks for the ride home," she got out and waited until Wooyoung's car disappeared on the corner of the street before going inside.

Feeling extremely beat up from the feverish cold, she jumped straight on to her bed and curled up in her comforter. She could always shower tomorrow, she thought as she got out of her jeans and kicked them down to the floor. The comfort her fluffy pillows gave her soon took her to a deep sleep, detaching her from her surrounding including her phone that kept on ringing through the night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Haneul was woken up by her grumbling stomach. As much as she wanted to continue her sleep, the dinner she skipped earlier now made her starving. She rolled on her bed and felt that her fever had come down. Good, she thought, sleep was really the best medicine for a cold. From the corner of her eyes, she could see her phone blinking in the middle of her dark room. She grabbed it and scrolled up to unlocked it.

As she expected, missed calls and new messages greeted her. You couldn't really go on long without your phone these days, she chuckled. She scrolled through the new messages and decided to reply to work texts later in the morning. Her thumb stopped at a messages thread from Junho, which she instantly pressed open.

7.30 PM : "Hey, I'm sorry I was in a rush today, how are you feeling? Have you feel better already?"

8.00 PM : "Haneul-ah, are you still sick?"

8.20 PM : "You didn't answer my call. You're sleeping? I'm sorry if I disturbed you, see you tomorrow then."

9.30 PM : "Sorry, I called you again. Are you okay??"

10.30 PM : "Hey, call me when you wake up."

11.27 PM : "PING"

"Omo, how cute," she unconsciously said to herself. She looked at the clock and noticed that the day had technically changed as it was almost 1 in the morning. After putting on her pajama, she walked out to the kitchen to cook herself a ramen to fill her up, and as she waited for the water to boil she decided to reply to Junho with a ping as she didn't know whether he was still awake. Surprisingly, another reply came a

Please log in to read the full chapter