Morning Phonecall

The Year of Heartbreaks
Please log in to read the full chapter

A loud thud coming from the living room caused Junho who was asleep to stir on his bed. Slowly opening his eyes, he rolled to the side and reached for his phone on the side table. He looked at the time and saw that it was still a bit early in the morning. As if to make sure he didn't go back to sleep, another thud was heard from outside his bedroom.

"Arasso, Wol, I'm coming," he shouted to his cat, "What did he knock over this time?" he said to himself as he climbed down the bed and pulled the window curtain open. A few streaks of golden rays greeted him on the dark blue sky and he walked outside his room without being bothered to put on a shirt. He was alone anyway, as always.

He went straight to the kitchen to prepare food for his cats, and laughed with delight noticing that his fur babies was closely tailing him. He poured the cat food on his cats' food bowls and watched amusedly as they doved their heads into them.

"Now it's my turn for breakfast," he walked to the kitchen and grabbed the leftover braised chicken from the other night. He threw the food into the microwave and waited as the food being heated up. Leaning on the kitchen counter, he unlocked his phone and check his notifications.

"Why didn't she read my messages?" he asked out loud after seeing that the Katalk message he sent Haneul last night haven't got any reply or even sign of it being read. He thought for a second but then almost immediately touched the call button. The dial tone went on until the call hung up on itself due to not being answered and without thinking he redialed her number. He was almost come to the decision that maybe Haneul was still asleep and was about to hung up when the call finally connected.

"Ah, sorry to call this early. Did you get home safe last night?" he immediately said and waited for a response. There was a low rustling sound on the other end and Junho realized he might indeed have disturbed her sleep. "Did I wake you up? Oh mian.."

"Who's this?" a hoarse voice said, a male voice.

"Eh?" Junho pulled away his phone from his ear to double check, and grew even more confused when he saw that it was indeed Haneul's number he was calling, "It's Haneul's phone, right?"

"Haneul? Yah, Haneul, is this your phone?" the male voice was heard a bit distant now, and Junho could picture the guy talking to Haneul, who was probably asleep too. Junho heard more rustling sound on his ear and waited impatiently.

Who is this guy? Haneul doesn't have any boyfriend, does she? Junho knitted his eyebrows.

"Yes, Haneul said it's her phone.." instead of Haneul, the same sleepy voice talked to the phone one more time. Junho would find the disoriented state of the person to be funny if he wasn't being so consumed over the identity of this mysterious man.

"Can I talk to Haneul? Tell her it's Jun...—wait, is this Wooyoung?" Junho finally recognized the guy's voice in the middle of his slurring.

What is he doing there? Junho thought.

"Mmhm. Who are you?" Wooyoung slurred, obviously still torn between sleep and the call.

"Yah, give me the phone!" Haneul's voice was quietly heard across the line and soon after she managed to get hold of the phone, "Hello? I'm so sorry for the confusion."

"Haneul-ah, it's Junho." he said, relieved but remained a bit alarmed, "Why did Wooyoung answer your phone?"

"That's what I wanted to ask him, haha. I think he thought it was his phone ringing. He's now back to sleep though. What is it, Junho-ah?"

"Ah, nothing.. you didn't read my Katalk, I just thought I should call."

"Huh? I didn't realize you sent me a message, wait.." she opened her messaging app and saw a message from Junho, "Oh you did message me. I'm sorry I didn't check my phone last night."

"It's nothing important, just asking about our plan today," Back at the company yesterday, they had agreed to meet outside to continue their discussion.

"Ahh, yes. We agreed to meet for lunch, right? On a second thought, have you eat breakfast yet? I'm about to prepare some for me and Wooyoung, you might as well come here if you don't mind. We can use my studio after,"

"Breakfast?" Junho glanced at his breakfast in the microwave and immediately pressed the stop button as it was about to beep, "No, not yet."

"Great! So, how about it?"

"Sounds good, send me your address," Junho said as he walked out the kitchen and headed straight to the bathroom to wash up, "I'll bring coffee!"

 

 

 

 

 

Junho exited his car in the basement and noticed Wooyoung's silver Audi parked not far from him. A bitter feeling from earlier this morning made a slight appearance in his chest once more. 

So what? Like Haneul said, they are practically family. He assured himself as the elevator climbed up the apartment building.

He found Haneul's door after following the direction on the text she sent him. He rang the doorbell once and waited until finally the door opened in front of him. He stepped inside and greeted by Haneul who was wearing a pair of blue jeans and a loose long-sleeved black tshirt.

"Welcome, make yourself comfortable, the breakfast isn't done yet," she rushed back to the kitchen and Junho decided to follow her. He questioned the tent that stood proudly in the middle of her living room and took a peek inside, revealing the 2PM main dancer who was still curling up inside a blanket.

"What is he doing camping out here?" Junho chuckled.

"Ah, it's nothing," Haneul shrugged as there's no point in explaining it to Junho, and it would sound childish to say that they were playing tent the night before, "Just let him sleep in,"

"I don't think I ever saw h

Please log in to read the full chapter