Seasons Changed

The Year of Heartbreaks
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Is he okay with you going with me?"

Junho asked as he drove the car further away from Wooyoung's family house and into the highway. After breakfast, Wooyoung had looked like he just lost his soul. He hadn't even said anything when Haneul and Junho left the house. 

"He's fine," Haneul responded while taking off her eyes from the road outside and to Junho, "And weren't you the one saying we need to talk? We can't talk with he's around."

"Well.." Junho smiled uncomfortably, "I'm sorry. I was being obsessive, wasn't I?"

"Obsessive is your middle name after all. No hard feelings." Haneul chuckled, she remembered once again how Taecyeon always said that about him. "I want to say sorry too for ignoring your messages and calls."

"Yeah, that. Why did you do that?"

She didn't say anything for some time and finally sighed guiltily, "I was... overwhelmed, and afraid of saying something wrong or something that I might regret."

"Was I being too much with what I said the other night? You can be honest, I won't be offended."

"You weren't. I think I just have issues dealing with it." She started slowly and checked his reaction before continuing, "Have you realize that Wooyoung doesn't like us being close?" she asked, deciding to just be honest. Despite feeling slightly awkward around Junho now, she still respected him to not lie to him. He deserved the truth, even more after how she and Wooyoung had a fall-out because of her lies.

"Mm-hm," Junho nodded.

"You knew? Did he say anything to you last night?" she frowned.

"No, he didn't, but hey I'm not that clueless. I don't really care though, so what if he hates it.. Is that your reason?"

Junho's casualness bothered her a little bit because it sounded like there's something going on between the two guys. She shoved her suspicion to the back of her mind, trying not to overthink. She knew Junho and Wooyoung were close, but she indeed hadn't spent that much time together with them to really understand how the two usually acted to each other.

"Partly," she bit her lips, "Another reason is my own feeling. I.. I'm not sure I can reciprocate how you feel about me. I'm sorry, Junho-ah."

Lie. Haneul cursed herself. It was just moments ago that she told herself not to lie. In this case, though, telling him that she also had feelings for her while she herself wasn't sure about Wooyoung would just be irresponsible. White lies won't hurt, she convinced herself.

Although Junho could already predict it, her words still caused a sting in his chest, "I figured. But, I never said I want you to like me too. I only said I want to be someone that you can trust,"

"I trust you," she stated, wondering what he really meant.

"You know what I realized these last few days?" He glanced at the woman beside him, "It's that I really know nothing about you. We've talked and joked about lots of things, but I can never guess what's inside your mind and why you act in some ways. It kills me, Haneul-ah, to realize that you haven't been showing me how you really think and feel."

Haneul realized the truth in his words, but it wasn't something that was limited to Junho. That's just how she was, always trying not to show much to everyone. It made her wondered about what did he see in her.

"Why? Why do you like me? You know about me and my parents, I don't have a good background, I don't even have a family." Haneul unconsciously rubbed her scar, "There are also many things you don't know about me."

Junho's chest constricted seeing Haneul's involuntary action, "That tattoo... I'm sorry I called it pretty." he said in a whisper.

Haneul's eyes widened. She watched in shock as Junho's eyes trailed to her wrist. She realized now how she's been touching her scar and then instinctively hide her left arm and looked away. Junho hasn't said anything else, but she understood what he wanted to say: Junho knew something that Haneul had never wanted anyone to know.

"Can we go to the rest area? I want to get some fresh air." Haneul said.

"Haneul-ah, mian.. I came to know about it." he said in a rush, regretted that he had touched a sensitive topic.

"Please? Rest area?"

In a few moments, Junho changed lines and drove to the rest area's entrance. As the car came to a stop, Haneul unbuckled her seatbelts and jumped outside the car. Her mind went blank. Junho knew her gravest mistake that she herself had wanted to forget. How? As far as she knew, Wooyoung would never tell anyone about it. Her feet continued to bring her away from the car without paying attention to where she was going. Junho rushed outside and paced forward to chase her.

"Haneul! Wait." Junho tried to call her without attracting much attention. He soon managed to grab her by her arm, "Listen. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry.."

Tears were b in her eyes, threatening to fall anytime. "Why? Why must you know about it?"

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't say anything about it. Haneul-ah, let's go back to the car first..." he put his hands on her shoulder and convinced her.

Junho led her back to his car. He told her to wait as he went back outside to buy some drinks, hoping that she could calm herself down without him there. While he waited for the drinks to be served, he watched outside as rain started to pour down quite heavily. Fall was near, he thought and then wondered would there be any good things happened to him as seasons change. After fifteen minutes, he returned to the car with hot coffee for both of them.

"Drink this.."

With a quiet thank you, Haneul accepted the drink and took a small sip. She forced herself to look at Junho, deciding to address the issue as it already out in the open, "You know about it, and you still like me?"

"That hasn't

Please log in to read the full chapter