Night at the Port City

The Year of Heartbreaks
Please log in to read the full chapter

Night time in Busan always revealed how lively the marine city can be. Once the sun set and the city lights began to reflect onto the water, people slowly closed off their day by hitting their favourite bars, crawling excitedly to the bustling night market, or taking it easy by enjoying the night view from the Gwangalli Beach. Whatever you chose to do, you would definitely in for many unforgettable moments.

During his years of growing up in this city, Wooyoung had taken everything for granted. Schools he went to, stores he visited, beaches he played at, all had only be some parts of his daily life back then. But at some point in his life, Busan would popped out in his mind everytime he needed comfort. Moments of his younger days would play in his head just like a scene of his favorite old movie. Busan was home. It would always be.  

And one of his fondest memories of Busan came alive in front of him:  his family walking passed the street just outside their favorite chinese restaurant after dinner, chattering and exchanging inside jokes. A simple happiness that had sometimes forgotten amidst the blinding life he led as a celebrity. 

"Yah, let's go to the night market." Wooyoung paced forward to approach Haneul who was walking aside his mother.

"Count me out, the baby needs his sleep," his sister shouted from his back as she put her son on the stroller, "Ermm.. am I even invited?"

"It's not like the market is mine," Wooyoung rolled his eyes, "So, who's coming?"

"Aigoo.. you youngsters go, your dad and I are already tired," his mother chuckled, "Haneul, go with him, I'll leave the door unlocked,"

"Unnie? Hyungbu? You're coming?" Haneul turned around and looked at the young family behind her, soon realizing that they were also ready to go home.

"We'll call it a day, let's have a drink tomorrow, without the baby," Junhwa's husband said. Everyone soon said goodbyes and left Wooyoung and Haneul by themselves. It worked out well, Wooyoung thought. He did want to spend the night with her alone. Afterall, his sister and mother had been sticking themselves to Haneul the whole day.

"Let's go," Wooyoung moved his feet to the opposite direction of where his family went, with Haneul soon walked besides him. The night market was quite far downtown and they decided to take a bus to get there. Haneul almost skipped her way to the bus stop, she always liked taking the bus over other means of transport. Nothing could beat staring outside the window and just let her mind wandered, there's no need to put her attention on the traffic lights and watch out of other vehicles.

The bus arrived not even a minute since Wooyoung and Haneul stood there, and Haneul immediately found a seat on the back besides the window. Her favorite seat, Wooyoung thought.

"When was the last time you take a bus?" he asked as he sat besides her.

"Let me remember.. errr.. last week? or was it last month?"

"Really? Why? I don't even remember when was the last time I was on a bus!"

"Seems like you forget, I'm not a celebrity like you! I don't have to worry about who sees me. I ride buses from time to time." she shrugged.

"Ahh.. but I actually don't care if people see me. Anyway, why don't I know about it?"

"So now I should report to you what I choose for my transportation?" Haneul raised her eyebrows, "What are you? Transportation police?"

"Aish, just wondering.. forget it."

Haneul chuckled at his reaction, enjoying his defeat. She opened the window just a little to let the night breeze came in. Just like always, she then let her mind escaped outside to the point that she seemed to not realize the buzzing of her phone that she had left on vibrate. Or, she just pretended to not notice. Wooyoung glanced at her and hesitated before he finally speak.

"You realize that your phone hasn't stop ringing since earlier tonight, right?"

"Uh hm, I know," she gave a short answer without looking at him. Wooyoung probably could guess who the caller was, Haneul thought. Since they arrived in Busan, Junho's name felt like something that neither of them should say out loud. The uncomfortable buzzing stopped after a while, to their relief.

"Haneul-ah," Wooyoung started.

"Yeah?"

"We.. there are so much we should talk about. Don't you think so?" he tried to sound casual, but really his uneasiness had started to get overwhelming, "I don't want to keep things hanging.."

"Where are we going exactly?" Haneul suddenly asked out of topic.

"Eh? To the night market! But, why are you asking that? What about what I said just now?"

"Later, Woo. Let's enjoy the night and take a moment to think about.. things." she bit her lips as if she herself wasn't sure about what she said, "You're right, we had let too many things left unspoken."

Wooyoung nodded in understanding, but he slowly put his hand on top of hers and—for the second time that day—caressed her old scar. The reminder of the time when he had almost lost her and never got an explanation why.  "This too? Will you talk about this?" Her small nod after that put a slight relief to his mind. He always desperately wanted to understand what had happened and why she never wanted to talk about it. 

The buzzing sound appeared again. Wooyoung tried to restrain himself from taking her phone and answering it for her. What did Junho want? Couldn't he leave her alone for a day?  

"Do you remember your 15th birthday?" he acted like he didn't notice the incoming call.

"How can I forget?" Haneul said, slowly turning around and revealed the amused smile she had on her face, "You completely made a fool out of yourself that day!"

"Aish, do you forget the part that you're the cause for that??"

Haneul was laughing now, sure she didn't forget what had happened years ago. It was her birthday, and instead of giving her a present, Wooyoung had came up with the idea of granting her wish that day. He hadn't even thought that she would came up with a dare for him: to dress as a clown and dance on the middle of the night market. Things had gone just fine, Haneul had her fun and Wooyoung hadn't minded embarassing himself in public. It should had been nothing but a harmless fun. That was, until a group of local thugs approached them and demanded money from them as a cost for performing. As high schoolers, of course they hadn't carry much money. 

Haneul who had been standing on the side of the street was in the middle of deciding whether to call the police or not, when she suddenly felt a white gloved hand pulling her to run. Surprised at the tall clown in front of her, she screamed after letting herself go and ran off by herself. What soon followed had been a sight to behold: a girl in high school uniform being chased by a clown who was chased by a group of thugs. 

"Why did you run from me? I was more shocked by your reaction than those thugs!" Wooyoung said, amused, "You looked like you saw a ghost!"

"Yah! Just imagine it, I was scared already and suddenly someone with a chalk-white face and big red nose was pulling my hand! I totally forgot it was you! Hahaha sorry, oh my God, that was funnier the more I think about it." Haneul couldn't contain her laugh picturing it.

Haneul's laugh was refreshing after what happened lately, Wooyoung thought. It was a laughter he hadn't heard in a long time. He hoped her mood would stay that way for the rest of the night.

"Do you think those thugs are still there?" Wooyoung asked.

"Well, it's been years but.. maybe? Why?" Haneul asked lightly, "You're not thinking what I think you're thinking, right?" she squinted her eyes in suspicion.

"Erm.. maybe? What's on your mind?"

"Yah! You really want to put on that clown costume again??"

"Aish! No! I don't even know whether the costume shop is still there. My friend said he sometimes sings there, I'm thinking of joining him if he's around."

"Ahh.."

Please log in to read the full chapter