Home Together

The Year of Heartbreaks
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Agasshi, are you okay in there?" knocks on her car's window woke Haneul up. She opened her eyes and was disoriented for a second before remembering that she was still in her car at the hotel's parking lot. She immediately opened her window to greet the parking officer knocking on it.

"Ah yes," she said with a thin smile, "Do you know what time is it?"

"It's six in the morning, did you sleep here all night?"

"Ah.." she scratched her head in embarassment, "I'm sorry, I lost my phone so I couldn't call a designated driver so I waited to sober up but I guess I fell asleep.."

"Is that so? I was actually worried you passed out or something. I'll get going then. Good morning."

"Nae.. thank you for your concern. Good morning." Haneul bowed his head slightly at him as he walked away.

She rubbed her eyes to shoo away the sleepiness. Her head slightly ached but she was no longer drunk, so she decided to head straight home. She bit her lips for a moment and looked at the direction of the hotel entrance, wondering if she should went up to look for her phone. She might had left it at the rooftop last night, but she hadn't be brave enough to look for it in case Junho was still there. 

"Aish.. what do I do?" she messed up her hair feeling her frustration rose up about what just took place the night before. "Junho-ah, why..."

Deciding to deal with her phone later, she put her car in its gear and stepped on the gas pedal to head home. There would be time for everything, and now she should just focused on getting home and taking a long bath to clear her head.

"Why did I react like a choding receving her first confession? Aish Haneul! What's wrong with you?" she said out loud.

To say that she was taken by surprise by Junho was not an exagerration. True, there was something else all along coming from Junho other than simply casual friendship, but she didn't expect him to blurt out his feeling like that. Not when Haneul was not even sure about where she was in terms of her feelings. The thought of Wooyoung came to mind, about how she usually talked to him about things like this. But—

"After how he reacted during the party? No way.."

"You promised, didn't you..?" Wooyoung's words from last night echoed. Guilt instantly ate her up. She lost count on how many times she had lied to him these days. They should talk soon, but Haneul didn't exactly know what to say. Things had slowly changed between them, she could feel it, although she didn't know where it would lead. 

 

 

 

A smell of breakfast being cooked greeted Haneul the moment she opened her apartment door. Her heart dropped and an uncomfortable feeling began to rose in her stomach when she faced Wooyoung's back side across her as she stepped further into her room. The guy was cooking at her stove, stirring soup inside a pot while his other hand safely tucked inside his jeans' side pocket. A gesture of habit Haneul knew so well when her bestfriend was in deep thought.

He was still in his clothes from last night. A washed jeans and a white shirt, his suit jacket placed on one of her dining chair. Suddenly Haneul could picture him arriving at her place late at night after their fight—was it a fight?—and waited for her to come home. What for? Apologize? But I was in the wrong..

"Eh hm," she cleared to announce her presence.

Wooyoung stopped his hand movement, slowly turned his head around but failing to look her in the eyes, "Shower first and let's eat,"

"Arasso," she strutted to her room and heaved a big sigh when she crashed herself on the bed. She wanted to curl up so bad and forget the man waiting for her outside. There was no way she could eat something right now. She grabbed a towel and spent her time in the shower trying to figure out what words to say once she sat on the dining table. After drying her hair in front of her mirror half an hour later, she couldn't stall more time.

When she came out her room, the phone she had assumed to be lost forever waited for her at the table. She looked at Wooyoung in front of her, "This... how did you get this?"

"Junho." he said shortly as he sat on the dining chair.

"Oh. You met him." she also pulled out a chair and sat.

"I did."

Why? Did he say something to you? Didn't you go home earlier last night? She wanted to ask but stayed shut.

"You waited for me?" She asked instead, "Sorry, I fell asleep at the parking lot,"

"It's okay.."

His short answers killed her. She couldn't figure out what he was doing right here right now. "Woo, about" she started after gathering her courage.

"Let's eat first, the foods are getting cold," he grabbed a fried egg and shoved it in his mouth, stopping Haneul.

Getting food down your throat in the middle of nervous silence was excruciating, it was the same for both of them. Haneul took a peek at him between her chews, the guy looked so cold and unbothered. She hated it. She hated Wooyoung closing himself from her.  But, that's exactly what I do lately.. shutting him off. She regretted after realizing what she had done to him. He must had been feeling the same way as her right now.

"I'm sorry.." she whispered hoping that he heard it.

"Haneul-ah," he cut her without acknowledging her apology. "Let's go home." he said, never once losing his cold expression.

"Home?"

"Busan, let's spend some time there with mom and dad," said Wooyoung carefully, as if he was afraid Haneul would object.

"Okay." she could only answer. She should at least do what Wooyoung wanted this time, she thought, "When?"

"How about today? You're free for the whole week, right? We can stay three or four days there,"

Haneul suddenly thought about the plan she and Junho had made yesterday, but it was as good as being cancelled right? After what happened, did Junho still want her to come? She decided not.

"Sure, let's go," Haneul smiled hoping to look excited. She was indeed happy p

Please log in to read the full chapter