Yunnan 22:12

Pathcode
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been like any other day, and somehow that made him feel calm. Although it was still a bit difficult to adapt to the modalities of his new job, he would somehow do it ... despite being a little distracted.

Having two jobs at the same time was certainly exhausting but it was what he wanted after all, besides, his bosses were understanding, so working in a restaurant and in the bakery was not very complicated, and also in both he had to follow the same dynamic or at least something similar to that, adding the fact that he loved to cook especially desserts.

He began his days helping his grandfather in the restaurant until lunchtime which was the most crucial moment of the day, well he was not really his grandfather but he felt like one, after all he was he who had welcomed him and helped him even when couldn’t remember anything of his past, old Zhou did not seem to mind, and he didn’t thought he was a bad person. For some reason one of the things that makes him very happy about Zhou is that he gave him a name, Lay.

He was eternally grateful for it, in addition to having welcomed him and taking care of him while he was fully recovering, there were a lot of things that Lay was grateful for and he knew that no matter what he did, it would be enough to repay him, and although he was willing to pay him in some way Zhou would not let him, so they came to an agreement. Since he ran a restaurant Lay would help him during the morning, it's the least he could do. With the passage of time he decided to look for another job to help his grandfather and although the older was against it, he could not stop the young man's determination.

He was lucky enough to have seen the ad in a coffee shop near the center of the city while returning from the supermarket with fresh ingredients for the restaurant. So without thinking twice he took the opportunity. Despite having started working as a waiter, he ended up as a baker's assistant.

Cooking made him feeling calm and at least the recipes seemed simple and easy to remember and if by any case he forgot some ingredient, he ended up changing it for another and the result was the same or even better, so much that he had contributed in the creation of new recipes in the bakery.

He did not feel like both jobs got too tired, even though he was not the healthiest person, he could handle it and that was more than enough.

Although Lay did not remember his past, he felt calm, perhaps the fact of having lost his memories was a new opportunity, and of course that was what the old Zhou constantly told him. Actually, Lay felt grateful because China was a very big country with a lot of people, any of them could have ignored him and let him die, but he was founded by a person who could take care of him and even treat him as a family. Despite not appearing, Lay could be very observant and noticed very well the different looks of Zhou, some of them were always full of melancholy which, if Lay remembered well it tend to appear every time the oldest remembered his late son. The young man thought that maybe that was a reason why the older one filled him with attention and affection since apparently he could not do it with his own son anymore.

One of the things that Lay longed for each day was the long talks with the older one. After leaving the bakery he returned to the restaurant to help clean and close the place, that's when he appreciated that the business and his house were a single place, the restaurant occupying the entire first floor and the second as a comfortable apartment for both. He considered that one of the reasons why old Zhou was telling stories was because at the beginning it was what he used to break the ice when he had just taken him in, but over the weeks it became more of a habit, more like nocturnal stories. From old anecdotes or stories he listened to on the radio to the stories that Lay thought should be put on paper and create good books based on them.

One he recall the most was the story of a group of people with extraordinary it could sound with many clichés and full of fiction but for some reason Lay considered it entertaining, although Zhou never gave a good ending to the story and each time the younger asked why, the other only replied that it was not his place to give him an end so hastily, maybe he thought that if he finished it he would be left without stories to tell.

There was one of the things that Zhou could not stop thinking about, Lay was sure. He did not know much about medical terms but from his first memories, things were not very good for him. His body with a few bruises, weak and on a hospital stretcher. When he found himself a little more stable, the doctors explained how he had arrived there and who had helped him and although they were all too friendly, Lay could not help but feel very confused, he did not remember who he was or where he came from. It was with the with some time and Zhou’s help who was always at his side to help him when he needed him, that he was able to leave the hospital, however there was something that they could not cure, Hemophilia.

Apparently it was a genetic disease that prevents the proper coagulation of blood, at the beginning the young man did not understand exactly the consequences or the danger of his illness but he knew he had to be careful. Unfortunately, being somewhat distracted was at the same time dangerous, especially after the other big accident.


The distance that existed between the bakery and the restaurant was not much so there was no need to use the train, so Lay opted for a bicycle as transport, the streets of the city were always in constant motion at all times, employees rushing to their jobs, children running to get to schools before it was too late, not to mention the crazy and reckless drivers. That's why Lay was once forced to return to the hospital.

It was a day after his shift in the restaurant, it had been a very busy day so he could not finish his shift at the usual time and despite having notified the bakery about the delay, he felt it was his responsibility to try to do everything possible to arrive on time. So once the number of customers decreased he was quick to get to the bakery, and it was at one of the intersections where it happened. He was going too fast that he did not notice the car that was coming on his way.

Although the driver was not going at great speed it was a strong impact for Lay. Quickly the people who were in the streets in those moments and witnessed the accident called an ambulance. When the news reached Zhou he went immediately to the hospital, fortunately Lay had no deep wounds, no fractures. The only thing that worried them was the blow that Lay received on his hip when the front of the car collided with him, as well as a blow to the head with a possible contusion.

The doctors had been concerned at first about the amount of blood that Lay had lost in the accident, after all it was something they could not avoid but control, after many medications and necessary care. This caused the young man to be unconscious for two whole day with Zhou always staying by his side. The older one could not explain why he had such an overprotective instinct about Lay, and the fact of seeing him on the hospital bed made something in his heart contract, he knew t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter