Chapter IX

Pathcode
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sometimes he got frustrated by how easily distracted he was on important occasions, he was able to stay focused and do his work, but there were times in which the same concentration made him ignore things around him.

 

Initially he did not care because he believed that he was thinking things too much and it was just the stress on him, but he realized he was wrong.

 

For some reason he began to feel anxious. He thought that it was because he had not been able to sleep well the last few nights, his dream was always interrupted by what he believed were nightmares although he was not very sure of it because he never remembered what it is that he had dreamed. He only woke up feeling anxious as his heart beat fast and his body trembled even if he was sweating. In addition, both the bakery and the restaurant were increasingly crowded with customers, which on one hand was good because it meant that their products were well received generating greater profits but at the same time it was very tiring to work all day without resting.

 

But nevertheless he could realize different things, the weather seemed to be changing indicating that summer was just around the corner. He had different episodes regarding the rain but over time he realized that it was not so bad. In the beginning the rains made him stay awake at night but now they seemed to be a lullaby that helped him sleep, of course on the occasions when he could fall asleep.

 

On the other hand he had noticed something strange about Zhou, the first few times he did not care because he believed the older was very tired just like him, however one of the nights in which the nightmares woke him and it seemed that he would not be able to fall asleep again, he left the confort of his bed and went to have chamomile tea, but when he returned from the kitchen something made him stop in the middle of the room.

 

Zhou had a small study next to his room which had never caught his attention so much, in fact if he thought about it he had never visited it. But he had noticed that every time the old man felt dejected, anguished and sometimes sad he locked himself in that room for hours. The only thing the young man knew is the old man kept the things he most appreciated inside. Like the time he surprised him while he was reviewing a box full of photos that the old man later clarified were from his late son, but at that time the boy had only tried to comfort him.

 

Perhaps it was the absence of sleep, or that lately the behavior of the elder had been somewhat unstable but the curiosity has increased to the level that he could not prevent his feet from moving alone towards the room. Zhou should have returned to his room for a few seconds because the studio door was open, a lamp on the top of the desktop emitted its light around the room, it seemed odd that the door will be ajar but perhaps the older did not know that Lay was awake.

 

Part of him felt bad because he felt very curious but he did not want to interrupt the others privacy, he respected him a lot.

 

He almost looked out to close the door and return to his room when something caught his attention. The studio was not very wide, with the walls of a cream color as well as the rest of the apartment, it had a large bookcase that occupied one of the sides.

 

He knew that the old man loved science, mathematics as well as literature, after all Lay had been his only confidant for a long time to know how intelligent the old man was, not just the kind of intelligence it used to characterize to older people by having more experience in many aspects of their life but as an intellectual.

 

There were occasions in which they spent nights watching old documentaries on television, or the afternoons in which the old man spent his time enlighten Lay on any subject, from curious animal data to political and scientific analyzes that sometimes left him more confused than satisfied with his answers.

 

He knew that Zhou had his secrets, things of his past that he did not share with him but knew that it was not his place to insist and that if it was something important at some point he would let him know. However, this time he felt a little agitated by the lack of sleep and anxiety that caused him to think that it would be another night full of nightmares that he would not remember after, that made him feel a little reckless.

 

As he entered the room, those feelings did not diminish, in fact they only increased more. He approached the desk which was full of papers, newspaper articles and half-read books. Zhou was a very tidy and meticulous person regarding hygiene but his study was messy and some of the books on the shelves were covered with dust ... maybe they were books he hadn't read for a while.

 

Some of those on the desk were written in languages ​​that Lay did not understand except for some illustrations that reminded him of the stories the elder told him. His gaze turned to the newspapers, some of the articles talked about the increase and losses of some companies due to fluctuations in the stock market. Others were about cases of missing persons and strange events in some cities. He could not understand if there was some kind of connection between all the documents but in the end each one of them dealt with topics that used to interest the older.

 

He was beginning to feel guilty for having snooped in Zhou's privacy and when he was about to turn around and return to his room he noticed a small box on the desk. He had not noticed it at first but it was made of wood, with a small padlock keeping it closed, he knew that it was not where he kept the photos of his late son and other memories because that was on shelves in the bookcase. This box on the other hand, was something that Zhou had never shown him, there was an article under it, one that had several notes on the edges. The news was about the appearance of a comet, which could be visible within a few weeks, Lay had never seen one, or at least he didn't remember doing it.

 

“Lay? What are you doing awake?”

 

The boy was startled to hear the voice behind him, quickly turned around still with the box in his hands. He was about to apologize when he saw the expression on the older man's face changing from a look of tiredness to one full of fear.

 

“I'm so sorry, it wasn't my intention to snoop around.”

 

He hastened to say. Instead of answering Zhou advanced until he was in front of him, taking the box in his hands to return it to its place. Lay watched as the other quickly moved the documents on the desk.

 

“It's late. You should go to rest.”

 

“I know, I just couldn't sleep.” Upon mentioning this, Zhou turned around with concern.

 

“Did you have nightmares again?”

 

“I think so, but I can't remember what I dreamed.”

 

“You must not force yourself, you know it may be a matter of time. Now, why don't you go back to sleep?”

 

Zhou took the cup the boy had left on the table and accompanied him to the living room.

 

“Good night, Lay.”

 

He could only watch as Zhou locked himself back in the studio leaving him alone in the darkness of the room. He waited a few seconds in which his eyes adjusted to the darkness before returning to bed. However this time falling asleep was not so difficult even if he kept thinking about the scrabbles from the news and how some of them were similar to the illustrations he had seen in one of the books. For the first time since he met Zhou, he felt restless about the secrets the old man hid.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first thing he felt was how his head was spinning, still struggling to stabilize his breathing which made it difficult due to an oppression he felt on his chest. He had forgotten the feeling of traveling with Jongin and the fact that Suho had not allowed him to leave the apartment with an empty stomach was not very favorable for the moment.

 

He opened his eyes when he heard Suho's voice like a muffled sound calling for Tao. His ears surely affected by the pressure of having crossed the edges of time and space. He realized that the weight he felt on him was actually Jongin who seemed to be shaking and breathing hard.

 

“Jongin?”

 

Baekhyun shuddered a little because of how sore his voice sounded in addition to the pain in his throat, he did not like to remember in this way the strength that Kris possessed.

 

The boy began to sit up and giving Baekhyun space to do the same, he felt his head spi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter