Chapter X

Pathcode
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

He had not been aware of the moment he had fallen asleep the night before, but assumed he must have found himself very tired, because he did not remember anything after Minseok had told him that they should leave it for the night. They had been studying maps and speculating about what their movements should be now that the four traveled together but they could not ignore the things that the older and Sehun had witnessed.

 

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo had been in Edinburgh for a week, Minseok had arrived a few days earlier when he had managed to find Sehun, which meant they had to move as quickly as possible. They had discussed how London was the easiest option because it was the nearest destination but if the doctors were also guided by the list of places they shared it could be dangerous.

 

He had tried to repair his radio, to be aware of the messages Sehun used to receive, after all they turned out to be successful but they got no signal.

 

He had been thinking about it when he realized that the room he shared with Minseok was empty, which still surprised him. Having been traveling with Chanyeol had previously forced him to be the first to get up and make breakfast, the other had a deep sleep in addition to the occasions when it seemed that it was difficult for him to get out of bed not so much for laziness but for the regret in his heart. Kyungsoo didn't want to force him, he understood that having recovered his memories could be overwhelming especially when the last memories he had of others had been in times of crisis. He expected him to concentrate and try to think of the good times, when everything was simpler and they didn’t know it.

 

However, now that they had met Minseok and Sehun things were different. Chanyeol's mood seemed to have improved a bit. He was focused on relieving Sehun's sorrows that maybe that made him forget his own thoughts a little, after all those two had always been like that. Sehun could be very reserved but occasionally he liked to be spoiled and Chanyeol was the first to do so, so it was natural when they chose roommates, Kyungsoo hoped they could both help each other.

 

He had sat up on the bed while waiting to dispel the dream completely and clear his head when he saw the door of the room slowly open.

 

“Oh, you are awake. The breakfast is ready.” Probably Minseok didn’t notice how relieved he felt to have him at his side, well maybe he did. He had always been very observant and attentive to the rest even in the smallest detail.

 

On this occasion, Minseok's presence made him feel less weight on his shoulders, although it would probably made sense because Kyungsoo's personality was very compatible with the older one. Both used to be among the most reserved of the group but found comfort with the other and although the younger appreciated his moments of solitude and silence he had missed the warmth of his family.

 

They decided not to wait for the others and prepared to start their breakfast. Kyungsoo had become accustomed to keeping up with the news in case something caught his attention, that morning they decided to watch them on television. Most of them were the usual, they talked about economics, political aspects and varieties but the attention was interrupted when Chanyeol left the room dragging a still sleepy Sehun behind him. Kyungsoo could see that both were wearing dark circles under their eyes indicating that they hadn’t slept much. Sehun took the place next to Kyungsoo and listened to how he seemed to babble about how early it was and how Minseok had woken him up in the morning again, if that turned out to be true it meant that Kyungsoo had been very tired that he hadn't been able to hear him. Chanyeol on the other hand was in the kitchen preparing his plate and Sehun's while he listened as Minseok apologized to him. When he served the dish in front of Sehun he saw how he seemed to be struggling with sleep and keeping his eyes open while Minseok's hand massaged his neck with an apologetic look.

 

Kyungsoo couldn't help smiling a little when he saw them, this is what he had missed. The hugs they shared after meeting, being able to talk with each other, the small signs of affection for anything that made them forget the loneliness and sadness they carried. He looked away from others and focused on the television again, none of the news seemed relevant this time, or that is what he thought until he heard something familiar.

 

“… In the city of Almaty. The atmospheric reports cannot explain the difference is radical weather changes ... ” Sehun had begun to complain about the food again getting a little distracted but the scenes on the screen caught his attention.

 

“Keep it down.” he called and the others obeyed him by directing their eyes to the television while Chanyeol rose to increase the volume.

 

“... This type of phenomenon has begun to attract the attention of the authorities, since they do not find any explanation. Either in the morning, in the afternoon and most often at night they have glimpsed a lot of lightning over the sky even when there is no cloud and the sun is at the top. There seems to be no apparent pattern but some families are scared with the thought that from one moment to another they can be struck by lightning without warning. Now let's move on to more information, we transfer to France where ... ”

 

Kyungsoo rose abruptly from the table and went in search of the maps and documents that were scattered over the room, he had realized that Minseok had cleaned the living room before preparing breakfast. He knew that the elder preferred order and cleanliness above all but this was not the time to apologize, so he prepared to scramble the documents looking for a specific one. When he finally found it Chanyeol was at his side while Minseok was staring at the map.

 

“I knew it ... Almaty, Kazakhstan ... It's one of the places on the list.” Chanyeol took the list of cities in his hands by scanning it again, as he had done for hours the night before.

 

“It’s one of the cities but it doesn't guarantee us anything. Remember that there are 20 possible options, if we rely fully on this list, in addition to the fact that each of them could have moved. -

 

Sehun who was now fully awake and alert thanks to the sudden actions of others, approached the older by gently touching his arm.

 

“Hyung?”

 

Minseok didn't notice anything around him. He remembered everything Kyungsoo had told them about the day they escaped even if he knew that the other was leaving details on the outside, had noticed how he looked away from time to time and avoided mentioning Baekhyun no matter how many times Chanyeol asked him. He then remembered his last night in Berlin, the reason he had reached Edinburgh, how his heart had accelerated and the air seemed to leave his lungs when he saw the images distorted by the static on the television in his apartment. He remembered it perfectly. He had done his best to remember every second, every detail of the images he saw. He had thought that it could be Edinburgh but the places he visited alone and then with Sehun's company did not seem as remote as he remembered.

 

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt the heat in his hands startling him. Chanyeol was looking at him very worried as well as the other two in the room. He had not been aware that in his distraction he had lost control and the temperature of the room had changed, the heating did not seem to work thanks to Minseok who had lowered the air temperature and his hands had started to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter