Chapter 18

Notice Me, Rival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Back to schooool! I'm so happy! Irene and I are still classmates. Add the fact that I won the last competition between us in the last school year. The only thing that makes me sad is we're no longer 'neighbors'. We're now two buildings away from each other.

 

"Great job there. But I'll beat you next time," said Irene.

"Try and try." I wink.

 

She smiled at me and went to her seat. It feels like it was only yesterday when I met her. She doesn't know how to smile back then. Now, she already smiles at lot that even students and teachers are surprised.

 

I sat beside Irene and asked, "Are you sad because I will no longer be your seatmate?"

 

"Why would I even be sad about such thing?" She asked.

"But I'm sad that we're graduating. I'll be leaving for college." She said.

"Which school would you like to go to? I'll follow you."

"Don't do that. Follow your dreams, not me."

"I always want to be with you, though." I look down.

 

"Class, go to your designated seats."

 

My dream... What is my dream?

 

After class, I went straight to my room to think. I have good grades, talents and hobbies, but why don't I have any dream?

 

Wendy dreams of being a singer. Same goes for Jimin. Irene dreams of-- What is her dream?

 

I went to her room.

 

"What is your dream?" I asked.

"I thought I already mentioned it to you before. I want to be a journalist."

"Journalist-- Sounds great, but something I--" I faked a smile and turned left.

 

She holds my shoulder and asks, "What's wrong?"

 

"I think I'll be left at home, doing nothing, while you all are working hard to reach your dreams."

"What made you say that?"

"Irene, why do you think I don't have a dream yet? Even when I was young, my classmates had loads and loads of dream job, but all I dreamt of was staying with mom and dad forever. They used to tell me that it's okay since I was still young. But now, I think I'm already in the age where I should be dreaming of something. But why am I not?" I asked.

"Seulgi--" Irene wipes my tears away.

 

I didn't even notice that I was already crying.

 

"Come in. Let's talk inside."

 

"That's not something to feel bad about at all. Maybe you just haven't found the thing you love the most. Once you do, you'll sure know what you want to do for the rest of your life. Always remember this. No one is too old to dream." Irene smiles and kisses my cheek gently.

"Smile now. I don't like seeing cheerful Seulgi sad and upset." She said.

I hugged Irene really tight and said, "Thank you."

 

I hope I'll find my own dream soon, so I could go for it at the same time as them.

 

After two weeks, our teacher gave us a sheet of paper with schedules on it.

 

"The school's heads have decided to let everyone know about our events, so everyone could prepare themselves earlier and the clubs won't have any schedule the same time as the school", said our teacher.

 

"Look! We'll have a ball in 9 months!"

 

My classmates are all excited about it, but here I am, silently getting worried I'll be alone at the ball. It's not like I could possibly go with Irene as my date.

 

I was so excited about going back to school. But now, I'm questioning myself what is so excited about this.

 

"Seulgi!" Wendy calls me. 

 

I faced her and asked why. 

 

"You're getting more and more silent. It's bothering me too much that I can't ignore it. Did anything happen?" Wendy asked.

"I'm having loads of negative thoughts these days." I honestly answered.

"Hey, that is so not you. Don't let negativity eat you up. Remember when Irene challenged you in archery? You haven't tried it even once, but you accepted the challenge, because your positivity tells you that you can do it."

"And I failed."

"Uhm-- Okay, another example. The dance contest. You were so confident, and you won."

"Well, yeah." I sighed.

"Thank you, Wendy. I'm sorry. I guess I'm just so down right now." I pat her shoulder and left.

 

I've never been through this my whole life. Why am I even feeling like I'm a sore loser?

 

"Cheer up." I heard Irene's voice from behind.

 

I looked back but she was not there.

 

"It must be in my head."

 

"What is?" Irene asked.

"You shocked me! I thought you were behind me. When did you get beside me?" I asked.

"We've been walking next to each other in a while now. You we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter