//25

Dual
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jungkook rose from his seat after finishing his food and grabbed his outfit and headed to the door, putting his foot one by one into his boots. The gemstone on his ring hadn’t yet glowed. He had a couple hours left for the training session.

 

“Where are you heading off to this early?” his grandfather spoke behind him.

 

“To the Cultivation Sector.”

 

“I still have enough supply of Grimroot,” the old man stated. The sound of chair screeching against the floor traveled to his ears. The old man had gotten up from his seat. “It is still early. Let’s spar for a few rounds.”

 

Sparring with his grandfather would help him a whole lot in preparing himself for any attack that would certainly come for him in just a matter of time. Yet, only on the seventh day of the week that the certain herb that he needed would be available.

 

“Maybe another time, Grandpa,” he said.

 

The elder let silence hang in the air. Only his footsteps could be heard as he approached Jungkook. “You are slacking off,” he finally said when he stood just right behind Jungkook.

 

“I am not,” Jungkook replied curtly. His sharp ears caught the faintest sound of his grandfather inhaling air, about to say something in return to him, but Jungkook made sure he took the chance. “I will not be getting Grimroot for you. I need all the herbs you used to treat my wounds last time.”

 

“You are healed.”

 

Jungkook’s jaw hardened. He didn’t want to reveal his suspicion, the intuition he had of what was about to happen to him soon. But this was his grandfather. The person who had raised him since he was little. The person who had tried to provide him everything he needed. The person who had been there for him through thick and thin. The only family member he had left. He deserved to know.

 

“Kim Hanbin,” he said with a struggle, feeling all the areas of where he had been injured before pricked with thorns though they were previously healed. “He will be back, Grandpa. Soon.”

 

The tension between him and the older man grew thicker. As he drew his breath in, it was with an involuntary quiver. Jungkook turned his head slightly and said over his shoulder.

 

“If I survive his attacks this time,” he let out a dry chuckle, the smile didn’t reach his eyes, “I apologize in advance, Grandpa. Seems that you will have to take care of me again.”

 

His grandfather’s voice was a mix of anger and warning. A hint of gloom was also present. “Jungkook.”

 

“I will get as many herbs as I can today.” He began to step away from the house. “It will save you a lot of your time.”

 

*

 

A faint voice from afar caught Jimin’s ears as he walked through the woods in the lush forest. His eyes narrowed, steps slowed, careful not to make obvious sound that would attract the owner of the voice.

 

“Leaves that live...”

 

Jimin’s eyes widened in alarm, heartbeat picked up. Someone was trying to enter Taehyung’s haven using the spell the latter invented to open the gate made of large trees. Without thinking much of a plan, Jimin dashed, desperate to get out of the obstacles around him to stop the intruder but halted as soon as he saw who it was.

 

Jungkook was groaning, pulling his red hair as he chanted the spell wrongly, repeated while stammering. The Newcomer cursed, and suddenly he stopped moving, frozen in his spot. Without turning, bright flames formed in his tightly clenched fist and speedily, he sent the fireball toward where Jimin was.

 

Jimin’s fingers quickly spread, his palm facing down toward where a puddle of mud was and very easily and swiftly, water was extracted from the dirt, forming a ball of water floating under his palm and he threw it at the fireball coming his way.

 

Jungkook abruptly turned his head around and Jimin shot him a glare as he slowly stepped forward, freeing himself out of the thick darkness of the woods.

 

“I am convinced that you do not wish to be an official Defender by now,” Jimin said, slight fury lacing his tone. “What do you think you are doing? Must I remind you that a Newcomer like you are prohibited from using your ability so recklessly outside of your own sector? Especially in this sector.”

 

The red-haired man’s features hardened, yet Jimin did notice the look of relief washed over him before regret flashed across his face. Jungkook’s head hung low for a few moments and Jimin took the time to observe the younger man as he stood just right in front of him. Then, he walked past Jungkook and began to carefully sing the tune of the spell after eyeing the whole area to see if there was any foreign pair of eyes watching them.

 

When the trees reduced in size, allowing them entrance, Jimin looked at Jungkook one more time. Their eyes met and he made sure to narrow his eyes at the younger man.

 

“You have not answered me. What are you doing here? Not to mention, you are trying to enter my friend’s place using that secret spell. I certainly don’t remember Taehyung granting anyone else permission to use that spell except me.”

 

An uncomfortable expression passed over Jungkook’s face. He shifted from one foot to another, fingers tightening around his Defender outfit that he was holding with one hand. “I need herbs.”

 

Jimin didn’t see the untruth.

 

“I apologize,” Jungkook gave a slight bow of his head, “for using the spell without permission. I have tried to call his name from out here but there was no response and I am running out of time.”

 

Jimin frowned and let a sigh escaped him heavily. “If your grandfather refuses to go to my sector, I can head over to your place and heal him.”

 

Jungkook breathed out calmly. “It is not for him.”

 

Jimin tilted his head. “For you, then?” he asked, and the Newcomer nodded. “Didn’t my sister heal you already?” Jungkook looked like he had an ample amount of hesitation sitting within him. “If you have new injuries, you know you can always tell her. She will be really glad to heal you.”

 

“Jimin!” Taehyung’s voice came from his house. “Jungkook! Well, well, to what do I owe this visit?”

 

Jimin finally led the Newcomer in and explained to Taehyung on what the younger man needed. Taehyung asked the Newcomer what herb he needed, and he mentioned several different herbs, each in large quantity. Though Taehyung displayed almost the same expression as Jimin did, confused as to why the younger man needed that much herb, Taehyung had quickly gathered everything and happily gave them all to him and reminded him that he didn’t have to pay for anything.

 

“If I may ask,” Taehyung began hesitantly. “Why do you need all of these?”

 

Jungkook didn’t look in any of their eyes when he answered. “For future use.”

 

As soon as Jungkook left and the gate closed again at the graceful swing of Taehyung’s arm, Jimin hastily asked the usage of those herbs.

 

Taehyung’s brows furrowed, looking far into th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter