//36

Dual
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dawn arrived, yet sleep was nowhere to be found for both. Jungkook’s back was pressed against the wall, and he held Chaeyoung close as she sat in between his legs, her head on his shoulder. His fingers faintly brushed about the soft, chilly skin of her waist.

 

Chaeyoung had silently cried after recalling what happened, and though Jungkook believed Chaeyoung told him the truth, that Hanbin and his men hadn’t touched her in that way, it still didn’t eradicate the ire within him. Still, they had harassed her with their words, assaulted her physically. Even the attack that had happened in front of Jungkook was already painful to see. A thousand year might pass, he would probably never be able to forgive himself for what happened. She was never supposed to be involved.

 

“If I may ask…” Chaeyoung said, her sniffing had stopped. She lifted her head from his shoulder and looked softly into his eyes. “…you don’t have to answer me if you don’t wish to,” she said, assuring him as she softly rubbed his chest.

 

Jungkook nodded.

 

“Is it true that this feud between you and him… started with your father murdering his?” she carefully asked, biting her lips.

 

Jungkook’s eyes downcast, recalling the first time he had met Hanbin who had cornered him on the very first day of being accepted as a Newcomer. He had known Hanbin as one of the most talented children of the Defense Sector. He hadn’t really expected to make friends with the other Newcomers, but never had he expected to gain an enemy on his first day either. He had thought of Hanbin’s first words to him as a joke, but as more days passed, especially with them being paired up as sparring partners, the words were graver than a mere joke.

 

I just simply cannot wait to kill you, Jeon.

 

Jungkook drew a long breath with closed eyes, feeling slightly calmed when Chaeyoung’s fingertips brushed against his skin as she gently pushed the strands of his hair falling onto his forehead.

 

“Yes,” he answered. Opening his eyes, he saw the frown hanging on Chaeyoung’s face.

 

“But you are not the traitor,” she said with a dejected sigh, placing her palm on his cheek. “Your father is.”

 

Jungkook shot her a grateful smile. He had an instinct saying that his grandfather had told her everything about what happened in his family. His father’s betrayal and the death of his mother and grandmother.

 

“But I’m his son. To them, disloyalty runs in the blood.”

 

Chaeyoung sighed, her brows furrowed further.

 

“Hanbin’s sister was a Dual,” Jungkook said after a moment and Chaeyoung’s eyes snapped toward his. “Her secondary ability was healing. It was identified when she was a mere six years old.”

 

Chaeyoung was briefly frozen in his lap before she exhaled. “What happened to her?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter