//30

Dual
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nervous sweat trickled down Chaeyoung’s temple. Her eyes had been fixed on Jungkook the whole time his grandfather began to treat him. The man used the water from the herbs to clean the wounds that still looked fresh, still shiny under the lights. She slightly winced each time the droplets of water fell into his opened flesh. Each and every time, she wished for Jungkook to suddenly stir, but his body only stilled the whole time, limp even and his eyes remained close. Her fingers around the bowl in her hands tightened. She wanted to heal him.

 

The elder Jeon slowly motioned her to come closer. Chaeyoung carefully walked over, standing just beside the bunk and her hand was itchy to caress Jungkook’s face. The color of his face had gone. He was deathly pale.

 

“I need you to put the herb into each of his open wound. Very gently. Is that all right with you?”

 

Chaeyoung looked at the herbs in the bowl she was holding and gave the man a nod. She sat beside Jungkook, swallowed nervously as she eyed him from head to toe and took the chance to hold his arm. She blinked away her tears after lightly squeezing his cold arm. Carefully, she let go of him and began her task.

 

She took a pinch of the soggy herb, pressed it into the wound in his arm until it was completely covered. She then did the same thing for the one on his chest, her heart was racing wildly at the thought of how close the wound was to his heart. It was also deep that she had to use a lot more than the previous wound.

 

Lifting her gaze to the old man, she asked, “What does this do?”

 

“It helps to heal his wound fast and help his body gain the lost energy.”

 

Her breath came out heavily when she shifted to the wound on his stomach. The deepest and largest of all. She felt her own stomach twisted seeing the hole, the destroyed flesh inside.

 

“Take a deep breath,” the old man said gently.

 

Chaeyoung nodded, held her breath and tears as she carefully resumed her task. She didn’t realize that her hands were trembling until a warm hand placed on her shoulder. She turned to look at the old man, already standing on her side.

 

“If you can’t, do not force yourself and let me handle it from here onward.”

 

Chaeyoung shook her head gently. “I want to do it.” She took another deep breath and determinedly finished her task. When Jungkook’s grandfather was about to begin dressing Jungkook’s wound, Chaeyoung hesitantly stopped him.

 

“I may not be as skilled, but will you please allow me to heal him?” she pleaded. Hesitation surfaced in the old man’s eyes. A certain memory seemed to flash in his face. “I need to heal him. I can’t ever rest if I don’t at least try,” she said.

 

The man’s eyes downcast for a few moments before he gave her a light nod. Quietly, he withdrew himself from the room and shut the door close gently, leaving only her with Jungkook.

 

Chaeyoung gazed down at the wounds scattered around his body and closed her eyes for a second. She drew in her breath and released a long and heavy one. Her brother’s soft voice appeared in her head, reminding her to calm herself down and put all her thoughts of her failures at bay.

 

Confidence must live, hesitance must die, she chanted in her head.

 

Chaeyoung gently Jungkook’s face. She leaned down and placed the softest kiss on his cold lips, resting her forehead momentarily on his before she sat down again.

 

Her gaze fixated on his abdomen. She placed her palms over the wounds. It was larger than her hands could cover. Little by little, she told herself. Her eyes fluttered shut as soon as calmness began to encase her heart. She listened to her own gentle voice in her head, singing the song of healing. Blue lights began to glow from her hands before it glowed around her whole body. The healing began.

 

*

 

“No,” Taehyung muttered, disbelief crossing his features. He shook his head and looked into Jimin’s eyes. “No, Jimin. That cannot be possible.”

 

Jimin chewed his own lip, feeling his heart shook. “What other explanation is there?” he sighed dejectedly. He lowered his voice as he spoke, “How do you explain his behavior toward Chaeyoung?”

 

“Well…” Taehyung hesitated, scratching his head and grumbled. “Well… of course it would be of how Chaeyoung can’t -”

 

“A ridiculous reason, is it not?”

 

Taehyung stared at him intently with brows furrowed. “Well, yes,” Taehyung shrugged. “Perhaps, yes, that is a ridiculous reason. But we mustn’t jump into conclusion.”

 

Everything had its connection to one another, that he believed. Village Leader Seokjin sent him the flower, the symbol of betrayal, because he had dreamed of Jimin and the flower. He’d warn Jimin of the upcoming danger, told Jimin to protect the one he loved from the dangers around. Why else would his sister’s face appeared in his head every time he let himself drown in the thoughts of Red Dahlia?

 

“Jimin,” Taehyung’s deep voice was firm, immediately stopping Jimin in his track. “Are you even listening to me?”

 

Jimin sighed, giving his attention to his friend.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter