//10

Dual
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chaeyoung watched Jungkook disappear into the darkness and out of the area, heading off to the Defense Sector’s training ground. The concern in his eyes spread warm within her, calming her down from the thrill she felt after witnessing his true ability unleashed.

 

She loved gazing into his eyes. Other people who were born to become Defenders had lighter color of reddish-brown adorning their eyes. His were darker that the first time she saw him, she had a mistake of not realizing that he was the future top Defender everyone was talking about. Sometimes she wondered if his eyes only glimmered when he looked at her, because it seemed that way. She selfishly hoped it was really that way.

 

These days, she wanted to stare into his eyes endlessly. But the longer she stared, the heavier her heart felt.

 

Chaeyoung didn’t need to force her mind to dig deep to find that memory of Jimin telling her of what her future would be. It was always roaming freely in her head no matter the time.

 

She knew her father wasn’t the type to have his mind changed so easily. She cringed at the thought of marrying someone she wasn’t in love with just for the sake of the village. She wanted to be useful, but not in that way. It didn’t feel right. It certainly wouldn’t ever be right.

 

She couldn’t count the times she had tried to open up about it to Jungkook. She feared of what would ensue. They’d kissed. Not once. And they’d even confessed. What would Jungkook think if he knew about it? Would he turn his back on her? Would he hate her for still approaching him while being promised to be united to another man? Would he shut her out of his life?

 

The words were at the tip of her tongue, all ready to be freed. But it was always the timing if it wasn’t her hesitation. She wanted to tell him what Jimin told her. She wanted to explain to him that even if that was what her father wanted, she would fight for it to be changed. Even when in the end, she’d have to admit defeat to her father, she wanted to let him know that he’d still hold the throne to her heart.

 

Out of the two things Jimin told her, only the first happened, that her practice was ended abruptly. Her father hadn’t yet mentioned anything about the marriage. She had a hunch that it would be soon. If it was really going to be soon, she needed to find a way to let Jungkook know everything about it before he heard it from anyone else.

 

She didn’t even know why she needed him to listen to it. Perhaps she just liked it when she told him things. He listened to her attentively, never missing out on things. Perhaps, she found it comforting to have him hold the stories of her life. Perhaps, she needed the strength that he never missed out on giving.

 

But then, perhaps, she didn’t need to tell him. He didn’t have to know it. Because she wouldn’t let the stupid marriage to happen.

 

*

 

Arrows of flames flew endlessly toward him. His moves were swift, managed to dodge them all almost perfectly except for one. He was lucky that he succeeded in stopping the arrow to drill itself deeper into his rib. Yugyeom said nothing, but his panicked eyes screamed his apology at him when he winced.

 

Jungkook managed a smirk when he let his eyes do a little travelling. He noticed that so many – if not all – eyes were on them now. Some stopped training for pure interest. It wasn’t every day to see Yugyeom being obvious with his ruthlessness with his attacks. All the time, only Jungkook was able to witness and experience it himself. This time, his partner gained heavier attention than before.

 

Give your all this time because I am not holding back, he told Yugyeom. The latter didn’t seem to mind the gravity of his message until he really looked into Jungkook’s eyes. He noticed that Yugyeom wasn’t scared at all, unlike the first few times they sparred. Each session made him braver and colder, although his warm heart never actually left.

 

When Yugyeom sent another batch of arrows but bigger in size, Jungkook produced a rather large and thick shield. He used it to shield and hit the arrows back. The arrows turned to smokes, darkening and thickening the surrounding, blurring sights for moments.

 

Jungkook smiled. He jumped to the side, eyes fixed on Yugyeom’s silhouette. He could make out the figure coughing as he tried to shoo the smoke away, arms flailing in the air. The smoke cleared seconds later, and Jungkook took the chance to show those who were watching what they’d always wanted to see, what they’d need to see.

 

He flashed a grin toward the fools watching him with serious eyes, stretched his arm toward them and jerked it sharply once his daggers appeared beneath his palm. The men laughed, snickering at him before their eyes widened when the daggers only increased in speed as they moved toward them, unstoppable.

 

Now, his mind sternly said.

 

Inches before the daggers reached the men who already had their shields before their bodies, the daggers made an abrupt turn, going toward Yugyeom who stood with mouth gaping, looking perplexed before his mind seemed to register what happened and what was about to happen.

 

His eyes went wide as surprise colored his face, but his focus came back as his fists balled into blue flames, big and strong looking flames that almost looked solid. When the daggers were right b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter