//26

Dual
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The plan was not to show even a single trace of fear, of discomfort, of anger, of any emotion at all when she stood outside of the Koos’ residence. Yet, when Junhoe’s mother opened the door and greeted her, Chaeyoung wasn’t able to hold herself from looking uncomfortable and being very cautious of everything.

 

“We did not expect a visit from you,” the woman said, her eyes twinkling but it wasn’t a welcoming type. Her face held a smile that seemed so far from sincerity, leaving Chaeyoung feeling more uncomfortable as seconds passed. “Junhoe is just about to head over to your house.”

 

Not even a couple seconds passed, Junhoe appeared behind his mother and his usual calm or sometimes unbothered look wasn’t with him. His face grim and when their eyes met, she felt terror sliding up her spine. Her eyes traveled to his lips and a sense of relief washed over her briefly upon noticing how his lips were not cracked.

 

Junhoe excused himself and once his mother closed the door with a click, he turned to her and looked in her eyes. “What do you want?”

 

Chaeyoung’s throat tightened at the coldness in his voice, her fear of him began to bubble excessively inside of her that she was convinced that at any time, she would probably puke. She felt herself sweating. The determination to confront him confidently when she woke up that morning had disappeared, like it never even existed.

 

Junhoe eyed her for a long time, his frown deepened as something passed over his features. His jaw tightened when he grabbed her elbow painfully and dragged her farther from his house.

 

“If you so much as think of handing me over to the village leader,” he spoke and Chaeyoung’s eyes widened in surprise, “I will make sure that your family will be dragged as well.”

 

Chaeyoung’s heartbeat quickened, her mind was crowded with the thoughts and wonders of how he managed to figure out her exact plan until a realization fell onto her.

 

A Dual would have two abilities. Healing was Junhoe’s primary ability. If he was able to guess correctly or knew something that was kept a secret or a thought that was locked in a person’s head, Chaeyoung could only think of a community that could do all that. Those who reside in the sector filled with golden buildings, the finest people of all sectors.

 

The Suppliers.

 

Suppliers were not only wealthy with tangible things. They had wealthy minds, filled with supplies of information whether known or unknown to everyone. Some gifted Suppliers would even have the ability to read minds. As a Dual, undoubtedly, Junhoe was both a Healer and a Supplier.

 

Chaeyoung forced herself to gulp down the lump of anxiousness in . His threat involving her family burned into her mind. She could never risk her family for something that she would have to bear alone. “My family has nothing to do with this.”

 

The grim look he had was dropped immediately, replaced with something close to an amused expression. He scoffed loudly before giving her a lift of his eyebrow and a smirk. “Oh, are you sure of that?” He let out a mocking laughter, causing Chaeyoung to knit her brows.

 

“Well, your brother might not be involved in any of this,” he said. “But are you quite sure that your parents are not at all involved?”

 

She felt the air leave her lungs in a rush. “What -what are you talking about?” Did her parents know all along? That he was in fact, a Dual?

 

“Oh, Park Chaeyoung,” he chuckled. “You are not only a useless Healer, but you are also quite naïve, I see. Do you really think your father wants to marry you off with me just because you are a weak, useless Healer?” His smirk appeared bigger, his gaze piercing her eyes.

 

If it was another time, she would feel deeply hurt at the terms he used on her. Weak. Useless. Two terms that she heard almost every day, spoken by the people of the village in loud whispers and giggles. But on that moment, none of the two terms affected her as much as any other day. All she had lingering in her mind was his accusation, his statement of her parents’ involvement in this.

 

Certainly, based on how Junhoe made it sound, her parents knew what he really was. But she couldn’t understand why. She couldn’t figure out why. Why would they do that if they knew he was a Dual? Why would do they be willing to leave their only daughter to the hands of a monster?

 

Creep tingling at the back of her neck when Junhoe let out another scoff and said, “I see that you want to know why.” He circled around her with his hands clasped behind his back. His steps were slow and intimidating. “I still have my respect for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter