Defenses

On Thin Air

Pushing past him, Namjoo walked out of the bathroom. Headed outside because back to the lounge meant being buried alive. She might really start going berserk if she heard the term ‘baby’ again.

Exiting the house through the front door she kicked at the ground with her house slippers. The expanse of their concrete driveway spread before her like an open land. The gateway to freedom. She could take a car and drive off.

She could.

Walking further away from the front door, Namjoo glanced beyond the driveway. Here there were no iron gates. Anyone could walk past. No one would know any better.

Wild trees flanked them on all sides. The shrubs thick. The greenery sparse as the sun was hot on warm days. Even colder on winter days. Namjoo kind of looked forward to it. Would a sheen of ice cover the concrete? Would she create her own skating rink outside?

Namjoo blinked. Wondering what she’d be feeling by the time winter rolled around. By then, would she have found happiness?

“Here.” Seoyun held out a glass of fresh water for her. “It’ll help get rid of the taste.”

Accepting the water, Namjoo took a good long drink. To wash away the lingering taste of her puke. Of the bitterness.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized again. “I didn’t mean to make you and your mother argue.”

“She’s not my mother,” Namjoo said.

“Oh…”

“Forget it,” Namjoo said. She didn’t want to hear Sehun’s sister-in-law apologize to her fifty times.

“I’m unable to have my own children.” Seoyun spoke up.

The confession had Namjoo turning her head. Faster than she anticipated, which made her feel like a villain. Seoyun wasn’t able to look at her. Fiddling with her fingers, head lowered. Her body unmoving.

She was ashamed.

The sorry sight had Namjoo looking elsewhere. As if that might help brighten the situation.

“The family will never be able to have grandkids because of me,” Seoyun quietly professed. “Sehun’s mother is dying, you know. She’s been in the hospital for a long time. I’m just another unfortunate number.” Raising her head, she said, “So I think…you’re really lucky.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Sighing, Sehun flushed the toilet and washed his hands. With no choice he returned to the lounge room, where everyone was still gathered. Seoyun was gone he saw. Namjoo wasn’t back yet either.

He hadn’t known they were going to ambush them like this today. With talks of a baby.

The desire to throw his head back gained more momentum as he sank back down into his seat.

“Where is Namjoo?” her father inquired.

“She…” he paused, “went for some air. She’s not feeling well.”

“She’s pregnant,” Hea murmured but her voice was above hearing level. Her mother shushed her again. Rolling her eyes she looked away muttering something beneath her breath.

His father looked at him for further explanation. Hoping that he might verify that yes, Namjoo is pregnant. They were going to be parents.

Sehun looked his father dead on, “She’s not.”

Disappointment flushed across his face and Sehun had to say he didn’t really feel bad.

“Well, that’s ok,” his father chirped up. “I told the housekeeper to put the tonics away. Remind her to take one pack each day, whenever is ok.”

“Yes.” Sehun complied but wasn’t sure if Namjoo would. He already saw her dumping the box in the trash can. And he had to say, he wouldn’t care either.

Turning away his eyes roamed the floors, the coffee table, the bare walls. The wall-sized windows to the landscape outside. The yard was so vast and the sky so high. Thinking about the air made him imagine the hint of fresh earth. The scent so close to his nose.

“Did you hear?” his father asked. “You’re getting older. You should have a child before another year passes. While you’re still young you can still do things with your child you can’t when you’re older. It’s important to experience parenthood.”

The talk of it made Sehun’s head spin. He already got married he wanted to say, wasn’t that enough? Why were they doing this to him?

“Where’s the bathroom?” Sangki broke into the conversation.

“Down the hall,” Sehun explained.

All attention veered to him when Sangki left. Sehun sat there like a little boy whose future was being discussed for him. The stress he thought he’d gotten rid of began piling on his shoulders again. Block by block.

“You know your mother prepared this house expecting a grandchild,” his father repeated for the thousandth time. Sehun really didn’t want to hear that story. Always it ruined the mood. Destroyed the existing bond each member of his family had.

Tearing Sangki down until he was bones and skeletons. His heart gone. Flesh and muscle melting until he was nonexistent. Just some shell incapable of having emotions.

Poor Seoyun into an eternal whirlpool of turmoil. Of expectations that would never come to fruition. Cast forevermore to the sidelines.

For a child. The imagery of a little thing crawling, running around on short stubby legs. Giggling as it drooled and cried into the wee hours.

A little thing that meant more than two lovers in a union. A little thing that was supposed to equal greater happiness.

High hopes. High dreams. What were they really?

“Lets try to make that dream come true,” his father said. “For your mother.”

His mother again.

Sehun couldn’t say no, but he didn’t say yes either.

All dreams and hopes lay in his hands…again.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“The house is nice,” Seoyun complimented.

Sehun found her in the kitchen. He had offered to bring in the glasses of water she and the kitchen lady had earlier brought into the lounge. Deciding it was his best excuse to leave the elders to talk.

“You’re one to say,” he said.

“Once long ago, I was here,” she told. “Long ago.”

He watched her trace the marble island as he walked by to place the tray beside the sink. Bright sunlight filtered through the wide brimmed windows. Sehun was glad the kitchen was spacious. He couldn’t stand being squashed in a room with their fathers.

“It must be nice being away from home.”

“Today I have to say it is,” Sehun admitted. He couldn’t stand the thought of returning home to be under one roof with his father again. Oh Shiwoo wasn’t a man of nagging nature, but his lectures were endless. Constantly trying to draw out his points that his thoughts were for the best. Never understanding that maybe Sehun could deal with his own consequences.

“I’m sorry,” Seoyun apologized, “about the tonic.”

He gave her one glance then peered out the window where the sun was bright, the light blinding white. Did he stand in the gray line between his family and Namjoo? Or was he in the white? It wasn’t a matter Sehun expected to put to thought.

At least, he believed, he didn’t want Namjoo to become another Seoyun. In the warfare of Sangki and Seoyun his father always stood on his son’s side. Regardless if Sangki was the culprit of his wrongdoings.

Namjoo would have a side not because they were married. It was the right thing.

Growing with guilt he still said, “You should have said something before.”

Ever the good person she was, Seoyun pressed her lips together. “You should go talk to her. She seemed upset.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Tucking hands in his pockets, Sangki whistled to himself as he passed the bathroom. Exactly where he remembered it was. He knew everything about this house from ground up. How many rooms, the count of bathrooms with specially installed Jacuzzis. Had planned the use of every room right down to the dust on the floors.

This was supposed to be his home. It had been rightfully his before Sehun snatched it from right under his nose.

Sangki glanced at the locks on the doors. Remembered exactly the shape of the keys for every door. It was he who had done a sweep through with the security company when outside cameras and the security system was installed. Did Sehun know the cameras could malfunction yearly if the batteries weren’t replaced?

Stopping at the foot of the stairs Sangki glanced up. Curious. How had the newlyweds converted the empty rooms? What did their room look like?

The master bedroom was all the way down the hall. Taking each step quietly Sangki headed upstairs. Eyeing each closed door. Not a peep. Perhaps the housekeepers had finished preparing the bedrooms for the guests. The second floor was as abandoned as a ghost house.

Slowly approaching his destination, Sangki decreased the pace of his footsteps when he realized the bedroom door was open. He was wrong. Someone was up here. Silently all by theirselves.

The housekeeper? In the master bedroom? Not likely.

Nearing, Sangki stretched his neck for a better peek. His lips stretched toward his ears when he recognized Namjoo beside the bed organizing what looked like a heap of clothes on the bed. Tracing his eyes from the white socks on her feet, the plain blue slippers, up to the black fitting pants and t-shirt she wore. All of it highlighting her slim body, the soft curves of her waist up.

Sehun didn’t deserve her. A woman like Kim Namjoo needed a man who could make her feel special. See how beautiful she was. Every day of her life he could do that. And if they had a child he’d be the most handsome.

As if his hands had indecently graced her she abruptly whirled around to look at him. Sangki’s smile widened.

“Thought I’d come say hello,” Sangki began.

Namjoo’s stare turned stern. “I didn’t hear you.”

“Well, you look so concentrated I wasn’t sure if I should have bothered you,” Sangki said. Looking at the pile of clothes he commented, “Looks like you just moved in. Is Sehun making you do all the work?”

“We were…” Namjoo paused then finished, “cleaning.”

“Looks like hard work. You need a hand?”

“No.” She was quick. Shooting him another glance from the doorway, “Should you be up here?”

“I don’t think they’re very interested in me today, so I decided to explore.”

“Then go on.” Namjoo gave him no heed. Turning away to the task at hand she never minded him.

“How is Sehun treating you?” Sangki wondered. “You don’t look like very passionate newlyweds seeing how Sehun has left you alone.”

Eyes on him again, she smiled a little too smugly, “I’ve been loving it actually. Like I said, it’s not something appropriate to talk about, and my husband is busy with guests. I’d understand if he has other matters to attend.”

“Then,” Sangki said, “would you show me around?”

“I’m rather occupied,” Namjoo said the obvious, even stretched her arms out to show him the clothes on the bed.

The bed. Sangki’s eyes ran across the length of the bed. Once he thought he’d spend the rest of his life in this house, but things changed.

Always changed.

His eyes shot toward Namjoo.

She stared back. Wariness flashing across her eyes.

He liked the fight in her. It was alluring. Attractive.

“I heard Hea say you might be pregnant,” Sangki said.

Namjoo pressed her lips together. He watched closely. “I’m sorry to disappoint.”

“Then it means, you haven’t tried.”

Namjoo’s brow twitched. Smiling cockily, she said, “If you want to talk about that,” she whispered, “Sehun is quite beastly in that corner.”

Sangki burst out laughing. The smile continued inching across Namjoo’s face. She certainly knew how to play. It was electrifying.

“I can show you what a true beast is,” Sangki told.

The cunning smile dropped off Namjoo’s face. He noticed her tighten her grip on the shirt hanger.

“What are you doing up here?” Sehun interrupted.

Sangki turned to see his younger brother standing behind him. Laughing he said, “Sehun! Oh, we were just talking about cleaning tips. I was telling her not to pile her clothes up like that. Causes wrinkles and ruins colors.” Glancing back at her he said, “Isn’t that right?”

Namjoo stared back flatly before smiling. “Of course.”

“You should go down,” Sehun said. “They’re preparing lunch.”

“Of course,” Sangki agreed. As he walked past his smile thinned.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo watched Sangki disappear around the corner and turned back to her clothes. She didn’t want to talk to Sehun. What the hell was he doing up here anyway? As he stepped in Namjoo walked away. Sliding the closet open she shoved his clothes aside and hung hers up. He was still there when she turned around for the rest of her clothes.

“I’m sorry,” Sehun started, which immediately brought her to a halt when she lifted her clothes up into her arms. Namjoo looked at him. More surprise swept through her than anticipated.

“What?” she asked.

“Sorry,” he repeated. “I didn’t know they were going to do that to you.”

Their eyes hung on. Namjoo had to look away because he did look so sorry and it piqued her. She hated it.

Silence flittered between them. The things Seoyun earlier told her floated to mind. It felt like they were in a car. Forced to take so many detours until they finally came to a roadblock. From there they’d have to get more directions until they were on the designated route built for them.

“It’s not like you can have the baby,” Namjoo said.

Sehun looked at her without saying anything.

“All this talk about a baby,” Namjoo rolled her eyes, “even now I’m talking about it.”

She laughed a little. Sehun smiled.

Awkwardness floated in. Unsure what to say Namjoo hesitated then turned around to head to the closet. Hung up her clothes and turned around to see Sehun still there.

“Well…lunch will be ready,” he said. “Take your time.”

Namjoo watched him go. Waited a second then sat down on the bed. Letting out a sigh she burrowed her head into her hands.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Lunch was served at the long table. Chit chatter floated like the steaming food up to the ceiling. The couples were seated across from each other with Hea next to her mom farthest away from Namjoo, thank goodness. Unluckily, Seoyun and Sangki were directly across from her and Sehun shooting her luck down.

The weird vibe she received from him made her want to squirm in her seat, but she wasn’t about to forfeit. Kim Namjoo never lost her game. If Oh Sangki wanted to play she was right along for the ride.

“The seafood stew is delicious,” Sangki commented.

“It’s Namjoo’s favorite. Everything here is Namjoo’s favorite,” Hea said irritably.

“Oh? Is it?” Sangki raised his brow. “Have more.” He pushed the bowl toward her. Unintentionally both she and Sehun glanced at him.

Pretentiously smiling, Namjoo scooped up the stew and placed it onto Sehun’s plate. “Eat up. It’s my favorite.”

Receiving a chuckle from Sehun’s father he mused, “Would you look at them?”

Biting down on her teeth Namjoo wished it was night already. Spending the rest of the day with their families made her want to hang herself. When the kitchen ladies started clearing the dishes Namjoo headed out back. Not exactly to sunbathe as she intended. More to get away from their nosy family.

Leaning against the building, Namjoo closed her eyes. Listening to the wind breeze past. Tingling her skin in its wake. Leaving behind a quiet echo that traveled across the green yard. She turned when the door opened to see Sehun step out. Surprise lit up his eyes when he saw her.

“Escaping?” Namjoo listened to him close the door.

Standing a breadth away, he sighed. “It’s a long day.”

Namjoo grinned and looked at him. The moment didn’t last long. The door opened and Sangki poked his head out.

“What are you two up to?” He stepped out to join them. “It sure is nice out here. You get everything with the house.” Looking more at Sehun than her, “The land, the house, a wife. Aren’t you just blessed.”

One glance at Sehun, unmoving.

“My dear brother-in-law,” Namjoo leaned forward to look at him, “we’re trying to have a moment. Do you mind?”

Laughing as if she had cracked a good joke, Sangki grinned, “I didn’t notice. Did I miss something but a couple standing apart?”

Lips stretching, Namjoo looked at mute Sehun who just seemed to be taking everything in very quietly. She didn’t understand why he did nothing but stand there.

“It just got too hot, right love?” Namjoo teasingly asked. Touching his shoulder she tip-toed to give the side of his mouth a kiss. As usual, with his narrow eyes Sehun stared down at her coldly.

“Will you leave now?” Namjoo asked when her heels leveled with the ground.

Sangki scoffed. Irritated. Angered. Namjoo couldn’t tell but he slammed the door when he left.

Running her eyes over Sehun she muttered, “You’re an idiot.” before walking away.


***If you think about it they kind of helped each other this chapter

***Sehun is a quiet person. He sees a lot and understands many things to a depth but he and Namjoo are complete opposites. She acts out, he doesn't. They're bound to clash but their differences will end up helping each other as they maneuver through their marriage