Round One

On Thin Air

As always her lips were tender. The taste of her pleasant to the tip of his tongue. Leaning in Sehun kissed her a little more. Until Namjoo opened again for him. His blood rushed. Cupping her face with his free hand he held her closer. Their breaths merged, deepening the kiss. He felt more alive by the second. With every heart race. Each time he tasted her.

He reluctantly released her with their lips lingering. Watching closely as she opened her eyes. As they flittered up to look into his gaze. Adrenaline poured through him when she bit her lower lip and turned away with a shy smile. Unable to restrain himself he laughed giddily. Letting his arm slide around her back as he turned to stare out at the blue horizon.

With Namjoo so close he didn’t think this moment could get any more perfect.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

In the following weeks Namjoo’s morning sickness got a little worse. He often woke up to hear her running to the bathroom to relieve herself. Sometimes it happened after breakfast. Auntie Park helped with homemade remedies to soothe her nausea. Assuring him it wouldn’t last long.

After work he stopped by the grocery store to grab a bag of donuts for Namjoo. Eagerly rushing up the stairs to give them to her. She was folding laundry on their bed when he reached. Also, she was talking on the phone surprisingly. Her tone wasn’t very welcoming.

“I don’t want to,” she snapped. “Why should I?”

A voice blared from the other end of the line.

“It doesn’t matter to me.” Namjoo spat. “I’m hanging up.”

Tossing the phone down with a huff she glanced at him. He stared back questionably, but before he could ask his phone started ringing. Pulling it out of his pocket he saw that it was his mother-in-law.

“Thank God you answered,” she loudly said. “I should have called you first. What a God awful mistake I made.”

He glanced at Namjoo who was eyeing him with a frown. Obviously she knew who had called.

“Oh…mother…”

“That’s right. Our Hea just graduated from her class. We’re planning to sit together for a meal to celebrate her graduation. Just us family.”

“Congratulations to her.” he said to be respectful.

“We’re having lunch this weekend. You must come. You’re family,” she pointed out. “Your father will be very upset if neither of you make it. It’ll be looking down on us! Namjoo doesn’t know better, but I trust you. You’re the smart one.”

“Yes, sure,” he easily replied just so he could hang up faster.

“You must come,” she repeated again. “We will be expecting everyone. Don’t disrespect us.”

“Yes,” he answered, “mother.”

He hung up. Hearing Namjoo scoff. “She called you. She really called you?”

“It’s her daughter’s graduation.”

Our Hea?” Namjoo repeated with spite.

“You know what she meant,” he pointedly reminded.

Scoffing again, Namjoo tossed down the shirt in her hand. The pile she had neatly made toppled over. Sehun leaned over to fix it.

“I won’t hear the end of it from your father if we don’t go. You know that right?” he patiently asked. Could feel Namjoo standing there with steam blowing out of her ears.

They hadn’t heard from her family since her parents had left them behind at the cabin. Not once had he heard Namjoo mutter a word about them, which easily explained that neither looked after each other. A few times her father had asked how she was doing. Most of the time curious if she was pregnant yet or not. Sehun hadn’t given his word, because they hadn’t spoken about sharing the news.

“What is that?” Namjoo gestured at the bag of donuts he had set aside.

“Mine,” he said. Then grinning as he handed them over. “Want them?”

Her eyes concentrated on the bag. Then she snatched it from him. “I get the first five.”

Sehun breathed a smile onto his face. “As you wish, madam.”

Grabbing a shirt she tossed it at him. Sharing laughter as he raised his arms up to defend himself.

And these days, he thought, they were getting along just fine.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo took her time getting ready that weekend. Drawing the hour out to delay them. She wasn’t interested in whether Hea had completed her degree. Whatever achievements she had made. Kim Hea was an ambitious little thing who only catered to herself. Just like her mother. Birds who flocked together stayed together.

That conniving thing was the reason why Namjoo had married Sehun. Today, why of all days would she care to celebrate for some girl who came after her?

Pinning her hair back, Namjoo gave herself a onceover in the long mirror. Stared at her belly that had yet to show. It would take a while for there to be any sign that would tell anyone she was carrying. How long could she keep this a secret?

“You ready?” Sehun appeared in the doorway behind her.

She turned to look at him. “Yea.”

Sehun drove. Strangely, anxiety collected at the pit of her stomach. To be returning home was not something she was prepared for. There were so many memories there. Really bad ones. A teeny fraction of it good ones.

Pulling up into the front yard Sehun parked the car and they stepped out. He waited for her at the hood of the car offering her his hand. She took it and clung onto his arm with her other.

“We’ll leave after lunch,” Sehun promised her on the way up. Leaning close to speak to her.

“Why, Sehun, I didn’t know you were so sweet,” Hea greeted them at the front doors. She had been standing, waiting, watching them with hands tucked at her back. Dressed in a pretty dress that flittered around her thin legs. “You look ever the man in love. I’m kind of jealous.”

Flatly staring at her, Namjoo grimly smiled. “It’s kind of strange to be checking out your brother-in-law that way, sis.”

Mocking her with the same grim smile, Hea said, “Says the daughter who always comes second to me.”

Her eyes transitioned sternly as she turned to head inside. Namjoo could feel the anger toward the younger girl boiling inside her chest. Sehun squeezed her hand for comfort.

“I’m fine,” Namjoo swallowed her feelings. Releasing his arm she entered the house hand in hand with him.

Food was steaming off the plates on the dining table when they arrived. Her step-mother beamed more at Sehun than her when she saw them.

“Why, you came!” she exclaimed gladly. “Sit down, sit down. Everyone is almost here.”

Namjoo could have frowned even more. Then she heard her father rowdily laughing from behind her. Turning in time to see him walking in with Oh Shiwoo, his oldest son, and his other daughter-in-law.

The entire family was here.

Staring back at the table, Namjoo touched Sehun’s arm again with her free hand. She hated this. She really, really despised this. He shared a look with her.

“You should be embarrassed,” Sangki leaned over to speak to them. “Being so intimate in front of everyone.”

Namjoo’s brow twitched. Oh Shiwoo cleared his throat.

“Come sit down. What are you two standing for?” her father called out.

Biting down on her teeth Namjoo pulled a chair out to sit. Sangki deviously sat next to her forcing his wife to the other side. Sehun shot his older brother a stare, but he pretended not to notice. Their hands fumbled for each other’s under the table. Intentionally or not, they glanced at each other. Relaxing in the bit of comfort from the touch because in the face of their family nothing turned out good.

Hea stared as they smiled at each other. Sangki leaned forward to look into her face, “So, Namjoo, did you like the cabin? Sehun didn’t ditch you to just fish, did he?”

“I fished,” Sehun replied on her behalf. “Thanks for asking.”

Sangki’s expression darkened. Namjoo linked her pinky around his finger as she waited for everyone to finally settle down. Sinking in, again, the fact that only Sehun was on her side.

“Water?” She turned at the voice to see her old friend Leah leaning over to set down a glass of water. Smiling for the first time since arriving. Leah grinned in reply. Touching her shoulder as she moved on to complete her work.

Mood improving somewhat, Namjoo in a breath. Hoping she could catch her friend after finishing this meal with her family. Maybe introduce Sehun to her. Tell her friend she was ok and not as unhappy as she feared she would be. Maybe tell her she was having a baby.

“Congratulations, Hea,” Sehun’s father started once they started dining.

“Thank you, sir,” Hea gladly responded with a wide grin.

“Tell me if there is anything you’d like. Uncle will make sure you get it.” Sehun’s father promised. “A boat? A new car? A trip?”

Hea femininely giggled. Cupping a hand to happily. Ignoring her Namjoo stuffed a piece of steak into . Chewing eagerly to block everything out. She looked to the side when Sangki put a slice of meat onto her plate.

“You look like you’re enjoying it.” He gave her a coy smile.

She narrowed an eye in reply then turned when Sehun stabbed the piece with a fork and popped it into his mouth. “It’s delicious.”

Sangki’s smile stiffened. Sehun looked at her with a tiny smile and a glint in his eye.

“Actually, I want something else,” Hea talked louder. “I want Sehun.”

Namjoo’s hand froze. Her butter knife and fork hovered above her plate. Then she looked up. Shooting her younger step-sister a look.

“Hea!” her mother gasped.

But the younger girl smirked devilishly. Leaning forward propping her chin atop her fist, she stared straight at Sehun, “How about it? Don’t you think you’re much better off with me?”

Namjoo gripped onto her utensils harder. Listening to her heart thud. Very hard.

The …

Silence wove around the table, as if even the elders were considering it.

It pissed Namjoo off. After the bastards slapped her around so hard, taking everything from her to make her marry Oh Shiwoo’s son. How dare they…

“It’s embarrassing to go after what you already threw away,” Namjoo stabbed a slice of her steak and slid it into . Chewing as she spoke, “To think Hea would try to pick up after me is kind of shameful.” Intentionally popping another slice into her already full mouth, Namjoo smacked her lips. Gnawed on the meat noisily. “I taped a broken vase back together. Made it look pretty and now I’m happy with it when you didn’t think I would be. Are you jealous,” Namjoo asked, “Hea?”

“Namjoo!” her father scolded.

Namjoo didn’t hide the flash of dismay in her eyes. Staring straight at her younger sister, “You want to fight me?”

Hea’s lower lip trembled. Angered that Namjoo would insinuate she was jealous. Forcing a stiff smile onto her face, “I was joking, Namjoo. Don’t take it to heart. You might hurt my brother-in-law’s feelings.”

“I’m fine,” Sehun said still focused on eating like he hadn’t heard them.

“Father,” Namjoo intentionally prodded, “don’t raise your voice. It makes you look bad in front of everyone.” Lifting the plate of vegetables in front of her, “Would you like some protein? You aren’t really yourself when you’re hungry.”

Kim Jiyoo scoffed, insulted. Beside her, Sangki quietly laughed.

“Now, now,” Oh Shiwoo refereed. “Lets all calm down.” Laughing a little, “Hea, lets be more rational. I can give you anything you’d like, but my son is already married.”

Underneath the table Sehun touched her foot with his. Then she felt him pat her back quickly before grabbing his spoon again to continue eating. In that one moment she just wanted to bury herself in his arms and ask to leave.

After dining, everyone slowly split up. Most likely because no one could stand the other. Kim Jiyoo probably scurrying after her daughter so they could plot revenge. The elder men to talk business. Seoyun caught her in the hallway after she returned from the bathroom.

“I was wondering if you might be free sometime this week.” She sounded timid.

“Why?” If anything, Namjoo didn’t want to be alone with her. Sangki’s wife was aggravating because she was constantly mousy. A reality Namjoo did not want to become.

“There are some adoption services I want to look at with you. You see, Sangki, he’s letting me make the decision. And I don’t want to do it alone.” She twiddled with her fingers anxiously.

Namjoo hated herself for feeling sorry for her. “He’s your husband.”

“Please,” Seoyun pleaded. “I won’t take much of your time.”

Namjoo stared at the sorry woman. Relenting, “Fine.”

“Thank you.” Smiling now, Seoyun grabbed her hand giving it a squeeze.

Spotting Leah down the hall Namjoo pulled her hand back. “I have somewhere to go. I’ll leave first.”

Escaping the woman Namjoo quickened her pace toward the kitchen. Turning the corner and halting abruptly. Sangki grinned at her in the doorway. Namjoo cursed underneath her breath.

“Move,” Namjoo ordered.

Taking a small step forward, Sangki stared into her face. Sinking pleasure into the fact that he was much taller than her. Namjoo refused to budge even when the tip of his feet touched hers. She slightly turned her head away.

“Would you mind?” she asked. “Your breath smells.”

Breathing into his palm, “Does it? You don’t like it?”

She glared at him.

Coyly grinning, he touched her lower waist. Pretentiously adjusting the hem of her shirt. “It makes me sad, dear-sister-in-law, that you dislike me so much. We got along just fine before. What happened?”

Namjoo peered over his shoulder to see Sehun staring at them. Looking at Sangki, “Dear brother-in-law, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

The coy smile spread a little more across his face. Oh Sangki grunted when Sehun yanked him back by the collar of his shirt.

“Get away from my wife,” Sehun ordered coming between them. Namjoo glanced at his broad back then over his shoulder at his older brother. Rubbing his nape, Sangki scorned them with a fiery gaze. Riled, he took an infuriated stride toward Sehun who shoved him back. Sangki ungraciously bumped into one of the housekeepers carrying dirty dishes. A loud crash resonated as she fell, and the ceramic plates shattered.

All three of them turned upon a loud gasp. Kim Jiyoo rushed toward the party. Cupping hands to . Wide eyes settling on the smashed plates not the housekeeper struggling to get up from the mess.

“What is going on?!” she screeched at them.

Behind her, Hea crossed her arms and loudly scoffed. “From the way I see it mother, Namjoo seems to be having a bit of an affair.”

Namjoo’s sharp eyes landed on her younger step-sister. Turning the next second when her step-mother screamed her name. Instinctively, her arm raised. Hand ready to spring to action. Namjoo stumbled over her own feet as Sehun hurriedly shoved her behind him.

“It’s my fault, mother,” Sehun said. “I was careless.”

“You heard him,” Sangki added. “Let him clean it up.”

Namjoo angrily looked at Sehun’s brother. Wishing she could tackle him.

“You are an embarrassment!” Jiyoo bellowed at her. “You dare hide behind your husband?! Get out! Get out!” She thrashed her arms forward to snatch even a part of her shirt, but Sehun managed to snatch an arm pushing her back.

Rubbing the injured limb she glared at them. Namjoo blinked. Appalled by the situation. She glanced up at Sehun standing tall in front of her. Realizing she was making him look bad. He’d long fought with his own brother, but they were family. This was hers. At least, she didn’t want her family looking down on him.

“It’s fine.” Namjoo touched his arm. She moved him aside.

And she, too, had long fought with her family members. She was Kim Namjoo who picked her fights. In the face of the woman who had stolen her mother’s position, Namjoo never lost. Even if she might be slapped ten, twenty, forty times she wouldn’t fear them.

Glancing at the housekeeper, Namjoo waved her aside. “You needn’t throw a fit, mother,” Namjoo bent down to pick up the first shattered piece. “Your patience is so thin it’s unhealthy for such a beautiful woman like you.” Picking up another piece, Namjoo looked at Kim Jiyoo, “Relax, mother, I’ve got this under control.”

Kim Jiyoo in an enraged breath that shook her entire body. Straining her pretty face. Without a word she strut by bumping into her. Hea followed, doing the same. Namjoo refused to cry out when the piece in her hand cut into her skin. When they disappeared around the hallway, Sangki said, “Let me help.” Before he did, Leah rushed forward bending down beside her blocking him.

Putting an arm around her, “I got it. Don’t worry about this.”

Dropping the broken pieces in her hand onto the floor, Namjoo, too, in a breath as her insides quivered.

Leah helped disinfect her cut, put some ointment on, and bandaged her hand before she left with Sehun. Promising to meet her soon.

Starting the engine as soon as they got into the car Sehun drove home as Namjoo soaked in the aftermath of their eventful afternoon. What had she expected?

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologized.

“Don’t be.”

Namjoo’s lids fluttered. Suddenly feeling emotionally overwhelmed. Upset with her step-mother, but angrier because Hea had suggested such a maddening thing about Sehun. And no one…no one had said a damn thing in her defense! After forcing her all this way. And all these ty things she’d gone through, and now she was pregnant, and she was…she was so angry.

That they were doing this to her.

Suddenly saying all these things.

They just couldn’t leave her alone.

Namjoo bit down on her teeth as her feelings made her tremble. “I can’t let them know about the baby.”


***Hea sees Sehun being sweet = Hea jealous // Sangki sees them being close = Sangki jealous

***HunJoo won this round