Push - Pull

On Thin Air

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“He’s such an !” Namjoo loudly complained causing them a few stares down the clothing aisle. Oblivious, she continued just as loud as before, “I hate him!”

“How about this color?” Eunwoo held out a flushed blue shirt.

Snatching it from him she hooked it back on the rack, “It’s not my size.”

“I didn’t notice,” he said.

Grunting, “I’m bored. Lets go to another store.” Walking up to the register she put down the pile of clothing that had been weighing down both her arms. “I’m not getting these.” She said before walking out.

Five steps out she continued, “Anyway – ” but turned to find Eunwoo apologizing repeatedly to the lady behind the counter who was giving him a dirty look. Walking back to the doorway she called out loud enough for all the patrons in the mall to hear, “Come on! Lets go!”

Cheeks turning a dark shade of red Eunwoo’s shoulders shrank together as he shuffled her way. Frowning at him, “What is wrong with you?”

“I just had to apologize. We were in that store for over two hours,” Eunwoo quietly explained as they walked down the wide hall. “I would be pissed, too.”

Ignoring him, she pointed, “I want a smoothie. It’s that way. Are you hungry?”

Following, he sighed. Taking charge she ordered for them. Orange flavored smoothies and a small bowl of tater tots. He had no say. Today he was literally a child in tow who had followed his quack mother out into the streets. He should have been better prepared for her ceaseless rants. They could go on endlessly like a train without brakes.

“If they were going to get married they should have just gotten ing married,” Namjoo threw out her hand. “Can you believe they did this to me? Those bastards!”

Eunwoo watched her toss a tater tot into and chewed fast and hard. Thinking for a second she’d finally stop talking.

“And then they got all intimate in my house! My house!” She let out an angry gasp. “Bastard! And that conniving little !”

A couple walking by gave them a raise of the brow as they passed. Eunwoo tried smiling, because Namjoo didn’t know how to control the volume of her voice and he felt like evaporating into the air.

“Thought she was better than him, but now she wants him.” She crumpled up an innocent piece of napkin he was reaching for. Withdrawing his hand he watched her small fist squeezing the atoms out of the paper. Leaning forward, “Can you believe they did this to me? Can you?!” Sipping on her smoothie, “They ruined my life! That jerk! I hate him! I even thought I should be nice to him.” The straw dropped from , “I had good feelings for him. I feel so stupid!”

Namjoo angrily inhaled her smoothie. He watched the content of the cup become less and less. Debated if he should offer her his.

Eunwoo jolted in his seat when Namjoo slammed her hand against the table. “I am so angry!” she repeated for the nth time.

“It’s the first time we’ve met up since you got married,” Eunwoo reminded. “All you’ve talked about is him.”

Namjoo’s expression grew terse. She breathed a deep sigh and on her straw again.

“Did he let you out today?” Eunwoo asked.

“Why would you even ask about him?” she angrily asked. “I don’t need his damn permission.”

“Will you get in trouble?”

“Who cares! Who is he anyway,” she blasted. “He’s just a jerk.”

“You don’t like him, do you?”

Namjoo literally spat. “Are you trying to make me angry?”

“Of course not.” He gave her a once over before lifting his cup to his mouth. “I’m just curious. You spend all that time in that house with him…”

“Shut up,” Namjoo snapped. For a split second her fiery eyes cut through him. Getting up she said, “I’m going somewhere else.”  

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“I’m not stupid,” Namjoo rambled to herself on the drive back home. The glow of the night was eerie around her. Accompanied by only the stars and the galaxies swirling above her car she felt lost in the night. For such a grand house in the countryside she wondered what Sehun’s damn family had intended when they gave them the house. In the middle of nowhere.

Each tiny flicking star splashed throughout the dark sky like glitter. Pretty but alone Namjoo didn’t enjoy the view. Her eyes veered to the rearview mirror trying not to creep herself out.

“I’m not stupid,” she repeated twice more. Add double meaning to that. She wasn’t scared of ghosts. Possessed not an ounce of those good feelings for Sehun.

Spotting lights scattering through the woods ahead Namjoo let out a relieved sigh. She’d made it home. Damn this place.

Namjoo turned into the drive with her headlights guiding the way. Recognizing the house alit with golden bulbs, the open garage on her left. One lot taken up by Sehun’s vehicle. Searching the empty yard that could fill up to 10 or so other vehicles. Could even host a party out front, hire a live band to play all night and dance and no one would know the better because they were in the middle of nowhere.

At this time of night it was ghostly abandoned. Not even a wild bunny crossing the yard. Namjoo’s eyes swept past the staircase again. Braking with a deafening scream when she spotted a tall shadow in front of her car. Continued screaming when it knocked on her window. Her hands curled up into her chest, squeezing her eyes shut because if it saw that she’d seen it then she would die.

It knocked on her window again. Glowing with confusion Namjoo peeled open one eye to take a peek. She recognized the shape of a head. Felt sick as her heart did a cautious leap. When the figure on the other side slowly became recognizable Namjoo scowled. Parking the car she turned the engine off and unlocked the door.

“What the hell are you doing?!” she started stepping out but not fast enough. As a foot landed on concrete he grabbed her hand to lug her out. She nearly tripped as he reached around her to slam the door close then completed dragging her up the stairs after him.

“The ?!” she screamed. Reaching for his hand to pry his fingers off she shouted, “I swear if you do this again…”

He didn’t even let her take her shoes off when they walked through the door.

“You’re going to pull my arm off!” Namjoo screamed no longer fighting. Reasoning that it was useless at this point. They turned down one hallway then another. “Where are you taking me?!”

At last, he shoved her forward when they reached their destination. The dining freaking room. The table was set for one. She heard the humming of the microwave. The noise was killed and Hyesoo shuffled into the room with a plate of food. Her eyes went wide when they landed on them.

 “You can leave,” Sehun ordered.

Pressing her lips together, Namjoo listened to the housekeeper shuffle past. It was nine in the evening. Sehun always arrived home at four or five at the latest. Seeing that the table was still set meant he hadn’t eaten.

The frown inched deeper when he stepped around her. “You want to piss me off.”

Staring harder at the floor Namjoo struggled not to meet with his eyes. Definitely he was upset from the language he was using. Yet she thought he made her angry first.

“I told you to stay away from him.” He stopped adjacent to her. “You can’t be dumb enough not to understand.”

At this Namjoo glared. “Say that one more time.”

“I know you’re not stupid that you didn’t hear me the first time.” Sehun stared into her eyes. That really, really got on her nerves. She wanted to wham her hand into his face, but since she knew how that felt she wouldn’t. Not yet.

Yanking the chair out he demanded, “Sit down.”

“I don’t want to.” She challenged.

The hard gaze in his eyes grew grim with their stare off. Then yanking her arm he forced her down. Namjoo huffed furious with him. Watching with a deep frown as he rounded the table and sat in front of her, forcing her to look at him and nowhere else. Namjoo turned her head to focus her eyes elsewhere.

She wanted to punch him.

“I dare you to see him one more time,” Sehun threatened. “I won’t apologize for what I’ll do then.”

Her eyes angrily landed on him. “I’m not scared of you.”

Flicking the main plate of entrée toward her he ordered, “Eat up, wife.”

Belittled, Namjoo bit down on her teeth. Now he was really doing it. She glowered infuriated. Ignoring her death-like stare, Sehun poured food onto his plate like they were just having a merry conversation. Sharing a lovely meal like any other night.

Scooping up a spoonful he said, “And do the dishes.”

He was really pushing it. Namjoo could feel her anger shaking through her body, through every nerve, past every cell.

Sehun really stood watch. Forcing her to gulf down the rest of the food and carry all the dishes to the sink. Watching from the doorway with arms crossed like a prison guard to make sure she did everything as directed. She really wanted to kick him where it hurt most when she passed him, realizing that she was still in her shoes.

Slamming the door to her room she grabbed a pillow and tossed it onto the floor. Sehun made her so frustrated!

“!” she screeched jumping onto the bed muffling her voice into the blanket.

The following day Sehun succeeded on getting on her nerves even more. Not only had she joined him for breakfast, but while eating he’d pulled the entrée closer toward him. Fine, you greedy son of a – she’d thought. She could eat plain rice just fine.

Damn him.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

They didn’t talk the rest of the week. He spent majority of the time agonizing over being upset with her. Mostly for heading out to see Eunwoo when he specifically told her not to. Part of him aware she did it intentionally since he had barred them from having individual time together.

Idiot Namjoo!

He wouldn’t let her cheat on him. He wouldn’t have a marriage like that.

Over his dead body.

Tossing his duffel bag onto the bed he went through his closet for a spare change of clothes. A long time ago when family affairs used to be priority his family constantly upgraded their camping tools, fishing gears, swimming apparel. Since his mother fell ill and Sangki married nothing was the same. He’d been forced to grow up, carry the burden of the family, succeed the dreams his father wanted for him. Have the child Sangki had failed to bring into the family.

Perhaps the fishing pole he’d left behind would still be in good condition. If not, he’d trash it. No hard feelings. Fishing was actually a boring sport but at the same time a calming activity. Filled with peace while soaking in the environment. Standstill trees. Unwavering leaves. Of the still waters. The quiet earth. The birds and crying crickets ricocheting. A test of patience and then hurrah! The reward was always satisfying, worth the wait.

Stuffing the duffel bag he thought if his fishing rod was still in all right shape he could teach Namjoo how to fish. While waiting for a fish to bite they could maybe reconcile. Maybe she would tell him why she was angry with him. Then he’d apologize, because he didn’t want to fight anymore. Couldn’t they try to get along like before?

But when he stepped out to look for Namjoo she was still in her room. Nothing was packed. The bag on the ground had a shirt spilling out of it. Sehun instantly grew agitated with her. Part of him knew she was doing this on purpose. Always, always on purpose! For God’s sake it wasn’t like he was keen on spending a weekend with their parents. She wasn’t the only one dreading the entire one night two days trip.

Standing in front of the long mirror Namjoo took her sweet time buttoning up her blouse. He knew she could see him through the mirror. She was so pretentious. Especially with trying to make them late.

If she wanted to egg him on, he could play along. Dropping the duffel bag he walked further into her space. Could sense the tension in the room shifting. Her stern eyes slid up to watch him approach. His entrance obstructed her temperamental moment.

Pressing his front against her back he put his arms around her. Namjoo’s hands froze when his hands slid over hers. Completing the last three buttons of her blouse as her icy stare stabbed him through the mirror. Flinging his arm away she cast him a blazing stare shoving him away as she grabbed her little purse and walked out.

Gazing blankly at the floor he felt his fingers twitch. in a shaky breath. Thinking he’d never gotten that close to her before. He could still feel her tiny shoulders, the hands under his. It had only lasted a fraction of a second, but it was the closest he’d been to her since marriage.

Blinking he turned around as if she might still be there. He was as good as abandoned. Grabbing his duffel bag he headed downstairs. If Namjoo didn’t pack that was her problem. He wasn’t lending her a shirt if she needed it.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

The drive was three and a half hours long. On a warm day with little breeze he drove with the hood of his car down. It could have been an enjoyable ride if perhaps Namjoo had dressed more appropriately. Always it seemed she wanted to agitate him.

Her skirt rode up so high it threatened to flap with the wind. It was distracting. She was distracting. As annoyed as she was with this damn trip, he was even more bothered because she seemed to be doing everything so intentionally.

Releasing his seatbelt he slid out of his jacket. Tossing it onto her lap he said, “Cover yourself up.”

As expected, she turned to shoot him an icy stare. Sehun ignored her and put his seatbelt back on. The rest of the drive at least went by smoothly without mishap. Mainly due to the fact that neither talked.

A five-minute drive into the woods and they arrived at a privately-owned cabin surrounded by miles of a forested area. Apparently the only other vehicle belonged to Namjoo’s father. Confusing him because his father should be here, too.

Namjoo let his jacket slide down to the floor of his vehicle as she stepped out tilting her head back to observe the 10-foot pine trees. The wraparound porch of the cabin consisted of a grill they would most likely wash and use later. The chairs were still covered with tarp. Everything else was the same when he compared it to memory.

The wide front window with a spectacular view of the couch, the cute little table. The grand fireplace ready to burst to life ahead of it. Upstairs were the bedroom his parents had owned way back when. His and Sangki’s bedrooms were at opposite ends of the house. Something he was proud of. Young Sehun had felt so isolated like he lived alone. Also a dream he had looked forward to achieving. Sadly it hadn’t come to fruition.

There in his room was a paned window. A grand view of the sparkling lake at night belonged to him only. Then, he’d felt like he was a little boy in a house on a lake. Home floating along the waters. Somewhere along the way he’d find a landing. He’d settle down, find a pretty girl, and marry her. Such a simple dream. Remembering it made him smile.

“You’re here?!” his father walked out of the house. “Look what I found!” He held up the fishing rods he’d taken from the storage room.

Excitement burst through him. He had loved fishing. It was a guy’s sport his mother had said. Sitting back in her deck chair watching as they cast their lures, competing to see who’d get the first catch.

As childhood memories seeped to the fore he hurried forward.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo hated this. Outside adventure. She didn’t know what to do or where to go. How to enjoy herself. Long ago she would know what to do. Smelling the pine and earth and sand would have caused exhilaration, but she was old and had grown dull.

What vacation? It was silly.

Hugging herself Namjoo watched Sehun walk off with his father. Angry with him for leaving her. She stared at the house unsure what to expect inside. Deeming it safer than walking off to explore and getting lost, she headed in.

Running her eyes along the mantle in the sitting room, Namjoo curiously touched the fireplace. It was too warm to put it to use, but the thought of a glowing fire sounded lovely. Imagine drinking coffee here on a cool night and relaxing with a blanket. That would be something she liked.

Namjoo turned when she heard something fall. Walking toward the noise Namjoo discovered her step-mother picking up a watermelon. On the table was a variety of foods they’d packed. Things she was taking out of the cooler, and it looked like she didn’t know what she was doing.

“My gosh!” she complained kicking the watermelon.

“You break it, you eat it,” Namjoo said.

The woman turned to her with a hiss. Hands on hips she scorned, “Where the hell have you been?”

Namjoo humorlessly watched her.

Coyly smiling, “Why, Namjoo, I’ve been hearing that you actually help the ladies in your house. Lowering yourself to experience a different class sounds like a great idea, dear. So, why don’t you come take over kitchen duty?”

Pleasantly smiling Namjoo said, “I don’t want to.” Turning back around she walked out. Bored. Lost. Not sure what to do with herself. She thought about going back to Sehun’s car. Just sit and wait for food to be cooked. Halfway there she paused. Remembering he mentioned a lake she walked around. Listening to the birds chirp, the noise of the forest mixing with earthy elements. Nearing the side of the house she heard male voices.

Treading more slowly she spotted three figures. Two elder men. Oh Shiwoo helping her father with his tangled line. Several feet away was Sehun casting his line. In the myriad of the moment he appeared the blissful man. From where she stood she imagined a content smile on his face.

He was sure enjoying himself already. She wanted to bitterly scoff. And he said he’d teach her to fish. Look at who was fishing alone without her.

Pivoting Namjoo stalked toward the house.


***hehe but in the end she looks for him to lead

***I reinvented some stuff from my first hunjoo trilogy. did you catch it?