Evil Seeds

On Thin Air

Surprised, she looked at him. Sehun pulled out his wallet and slid a wallet sized picture of the second ultrasound they’d gotten done onto the table.

“The family tree,” Sehun said, “yes, adjust it. In six months.”

A smile touched her face. Growing even more when his hand touched her thigh. Sliding up teasingly. Namjoo struggled not to shift in her chair or make noise when his fingers teasingly went higher.

It was her step-mother who gasped the loudest. Leaning all the way over the table to snatch the picture. Holding it close to her eyes as if to look for any proof of fabrication. But Namjoo was no longer paying attention. While trying to keep her focus, she playfully his thigh. Gritting his teeth for self-preservation he narrowed an eye at her.

Namjoo was seriously engulfed with giggles by the time they walked out to his car.

“You should have told me,” Namjoo said when they got in.

“I had to be prepared, right?” Sehun asked. Taking out his wallet again he passed over another copy. “I made one for you, too. In case you got jealous.”

Giggling happily, she gently hit his shoulder.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Sangki huffed vexed. Blowing steam underneath his breath from the top of the stairs as he watched his younger brother make out with the woman that was supposed to be his. His fingers curled into a fist.

Six months he said.

Six months!

Namjoo had been pregnant that long and neither of them said anything. All this time, they’d been lying to their faces!

The bastard Oh Sehun had already had with Kim Namjoo. Another chance taken from right under his nose.

Sangki bit down on his teeth so hard his jaw went sore.

“Do you like her?” a voice made him turn.

Hea came up to his side. Crossing her arms she watched Sehun reverse the car and drive onto the road.

“You were staring really hard back there. It was kind of shamefully obvious,” Hea commented.

“Shut up.” Sangki snapped. Pivoting, he headed back inside.

“Do you really want them to be happy?” Hea wondered. “I know some things about Namjoo no one else does. Are you curious?”

Examining the younger woman’s quirky expression, Sangki faced her. “I’m in.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Holding the love of her life’s hand, she let him lead her up the stairs. Into their home. Up the stairs again. Down the hall to their room. High on the clouds. Sharing the same kind of laughter still.

Clutching onto him. Kissing him. Stumbling down the corridor. Knowing she wanted him only. Have his hands on her. His mouth. His breath, his voice. Because he belonged to her. And she loved him to the earth’s ends.

Panting when they withdrew. Their lips lingered. Seductively yearning to touch again. Hooking her hands around his neck she stared into his face. Savoring the endearing moment. Namjoo could nearly read the promises weaving through his irises. Of love. Security. Of a forever she had never had.

Brushing a hand over the corner of his mouth she said again, “I love you.”

His big hand settled at her lower back. Making her gasp dreamily. Pressing her body into him. “I love you, too.”

Their smiles met. Finally kissing and closing the door as the love of her life led her into bed.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

They showered and had dinner. Retreating to the third floor afterwards. Sitting between his legs with her knees curled up. Leaning against his shoulder and lazily kissing him more than she paid attention to what was playing.

Love she thought, was profound. A sacred ground she should treat preciously. Kind of similar to walking on water. One careless move and she could fall. But she didn’t want to lose Sehun, so she would love him with all she could offer. Her trust. Her life.

She would beg her dead mother, please help her protect the only thing she most didn’t want to lose.

Oh Sehun.

Fueled, Sehun grappled for the remote. Turning the projector off. Leaving her with a wet kiss that made her want more. “Lets go to bed.” where they spent the night making love some more.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“You’re glowing these days,” Auntie Park commented one morning.

“Am I?” Namjoo asked touching her face.

“Of course you are,” she remarked. “How pretty.” Another cup of colored liquid appeared beside her glass of water.

“It’s a nutrition drink,” the kitchen lady explained. “It’ll be good for the baby.”

“Drink it,” Sehun told. “It looks good.”

Eyeing the drink, Namjoo asked, “It won’t taste bad?”

“Not everything will taste like sugar,” Auntie Park patted her shoulder before disappearing.

Grabbing the cup Namjoo observed its contents.

“What are you doing? Drink it,” Sehun urged.

Namjoo had gained a little weight. Though she wasn’t showing yet he was careful about crushing her every time they made love. He was more and more in tune about her health. Studying his books for an hour and a half at the most before spending the rest of the evening with her. Always heading out to buy healthy snacks for her after work. Once he had taken Hyesoo with him. She’d shown him where the snack aisles were and had slipped him some notes about vitamins Namjoo needed to be taking.

That was why she had gained weight.

“You taste it first.” Namjoo handed him the cup.

“Serious?” he asked. “Fine.”

Doing it to please her he took a sip. Also because he wanted her to consume what would most benefit her health. He would still love her regardless what weight she might pack on.

“It tastes like nothing,” he said handing the cup back.

She looked at him suspiciously then lifted the cup to . Yelping because it was bitter. She spat whatever was still left on her tongue out. “Liar!”

“Drink it all,” he ordered. “You have to drink it all.”

“Ugh…” she moaned. “I can’t stand this.”

“I said drink it all,” he repeated.

Namjoo scowled at him. Lifting the cup to she shuddered. Draining the cup finally. He smiled and slid over some chocolate he’d been keeping in his pocket.

“Here,” he said. “Eat this then your food. You have to finish your plate, too.”

“I don’t need you to tell me,” she mumbled.

He leaned over to give her a kiss when she finished. “I’ll see you later.”

Three days had passed since he revealed that they were expecting. Their families hadn’t rioted as he had expected. That made him warier. Worried if they were planning something that would catch him off guard.

Namjoo no longer suffered morning sickness or was she having severe mood swings. Now that she was in her second term he was more conscious about her health. Mentally. Physically. Sehun didn’t want her distressed, so he feared constantly what kind of tricks they would pull next.

He doubted everyone was glad Namjoo was carrying. More than aware that not everyone would offer them their blessings, that his family was about to become three. This time, it wasn’t Sangki. For a good reason he felt Namjoo’s father and his would be the ones calling the last shot.

Disappointing Kim Bonhwa had called him. So now did his father-in-law think he was undeserving of Namjoo?

He loved her was the only liable excuse he could come up with. He loved Namjoo, after all the struggles with her. He loved her. He would forfeit all the money in his bank just to have her. He would start a war if they wanted to take her from him. Other than a mother who no longer responded to him, Kim Namjoo made him feel worthy of the man he was today.

He would not lose her even if his family plotted for it.

Sehun stared straight into Kim Bonhwa’s face when the third-floor elevators opened. His father stood adjacent to his left behind him. Silently meeting his eyes.

“Come to my office,” his father-in-law ordered then pressed the button to close the elevator. Sehun watched the doors automatically slide close in his face. Fearing he had jinxed his luck.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

The Chairman’s office was pristine. Gold overhead lights. Cream adorned walls with a painted portrait of some European scene in front of the Buckingham Palace. Sehun didn’t come here often. Namjoo’s father was a busy man. Often didn’t loiter around in his office. Most of the time he was out meeting other businessmen, clocking in meetings, or having expensive luncheons. Sehun wouldn’t expect to spend lovely hours talking with his father-in-law.

Kim Bonhwa was not that kind of warm man. He was a man who was rigid all around. Namjoo’s father was like that.

Closing the door behind him Sehun walked up to his father-in-law’s desk. Sitting in one of the two chairs before him. Back rim rod straight like he’d marched right into the principal’s office. At first, Kim Bonhwa didn’t look up. Forced to watch him scribble away with his flashy fountain pen. So focused as if Sehun had voluntarily come for some sort of punishment.

Sehun was determined to wait it out. He would win this battle of who could remain silent the longest. He would wait for Namjoo’s father to decide what exactly it was he wanted. A minute then five passed. The pen returned to its designated spot in a shiny black cup at the side of the desk.

His glasses came off. Those stoic eyes landed on him. “How is Namjoo?”

“Healthy,” Sehun answered, “sir.”

“Her mother always hoped she’d marry a man who would be loyal to her.” he told. “I chose you, my friend’s son, so I could keep you close.”

To monitor him. Keep an eye on him.

“I went through all means to secure a good future for her. I chose you to look after her,” Kim Bonhwa’s heavy voice ricocheted through the office. He shook his head, “When we gave birth to Namjoo, I gave my word she would not have to lift a finger in her entire life, but you fail me again and again. You let her stoop to the housekeeper’s level. You let her embarrass herself, her family, and your household. My daughter’s hands are worth gold. She is more than you deserve, but what happened the other day? You let her get hurt! Under your roof!”

His glare was fiery. He would have tossed his pen his direction if he hadn’t put it away.

“Namjoo is a rampant girl. I don’t expect her to bow down, but under my roof I never let any outsider harm her. But you failed,” her father merely spat. “I will annul the marriage. You will hand over the child.”

“Father!”

Ending the conversation, he dismissed him. “You are not to speak of this conversation. Do you understand me?”

Sehun bit down on his teeth. Fine, the old man could do what he wanted but his resolve was set. He wasn’t going to give up his wife.

“Yes,” Sehun sternly returned the stare, “sir.”

He was burning with anger when he walked out. What was the old man trying to save by ending his marriage? His own face? His money?

Sehun wanted to spit when the door closed. Jolted by surprise when he discovered his father waiting for him outside. Today he was all smiles. It was strange and unsettling. Sehun couldn’t shake the weird feeling he was experiencing off.

Putting an arm around him, his father led him down the hall, “Did you have a good talk?”

“Yes…”

“We must go somewhere first. Then I’ll let you go to work.”

“Where are we going?” Sehun asked when they reached the elevator.

“Promise me you’ll behave.” The old man said punching the button for the lower floor. Shifting and patting his shirt to soothe any wrinkle. “You look good today.”

Sehun frowned. His father led him down the block to an empty restaurant. Holding the door open for him.

“I rented it out for the hour. Take your time.” Oh Shiwoo said.

Sehun narrowed an eye. Left with no choice he entered the cool restaurant. All the round tables were empty. The fancy napkin holders were generously overfilled waiting for its lunchtime occupants, but only he was here. The door clicked shut behind him locking him in. Taking a step further past the front desk he peered to his left.

At a table in the center of the room Hea smiled. Sehun immediately wanted to walk back out.

“What are you doing? Come sit,” she invited.

He could walk out, or he could stay to listen then give her a piece of his mind. Forcing himself forward he joined her. The table was already set with food. A plate for him. A plate for her. Two wine glasses filled with water. Two extra glasses for the wine bottle at the side. Specifically chosen by her.

“You must be hungry.” She scooped some food from the center bowl and put them on his plate. “You’ll need the energy for the rest of the day. Don’t starve yourself.”

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked.

“You act as if we’ve never shared a meal before,” Hea coyly said. “I was a little immature then, I’m sorry. I’ll try to act more mature now, so lets start over.”

He scoffed.

“What?” Hea wondered.

“There’s no start over.” Sehun shook his head. “It’s already too late.”

“You could want me,” Hea confidently said. “Don’t you think?”

“You’re embarrassing yourself.”

“But your father wants me, and what he says, goes.” She sounded superbly confident.

“Don’t be pathetic.”

“You really think that baby in Namjoo’s stomach is yours?” Hea asked. “You love her so much you think she only has eyes for you?”

He glared. “Stop it.”

“Where does she go when you’re not home? Who does she secretly miss when she’s with you?” Hea pressed. “Don’t you wonder what kind of life she had before you got married?” She waited a beat, “I know, because I saw her go out in the middle of the night very often.”

“Shut up.” He warned.

“But I wouldn’t cheat on you,” Hea happily pointed out. “If I love a man, I’ll love only him. But Namjoo, who do you think she’s had before you? These days, women don’t easily change for men. Do you really think she’s willing to spend the rest of her life with you? A person like Namjoo?” She laughed. “It’s not too late to change your mind.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo’s family was messing with him. His mind, his brain, his heart. He immediately drove home after his work hours. Avoiding Namjoo’s father and his father as best as he could.

Many things raced through his mind on the way home. Namjoo and Eunwoo. Namjoo meeting Eunwoo. Eunwoo calling Namjoo. That was all he knew. Was there someone else he wasn’t aware of?

He didn’t want to go snooping through her phone. He didn’t want to come off as a distrustful husband. Hea had planted the seed of doubt in his head. He hated it. He hated second guessing Namjoo, even after she’d said I love you.

He believed her, because he felt the same way. He cherished her. He felt for her. But why was he wondering all these things about her?

He knew beforehand that she hadn’t been a woman who’d sat quietly. Namjoo was boisterous and loved going all out. She was filled with energy and willing to fight. She had loved pricking his nerves when they first moved in. Every day of their married life she had seemed trapped in the prison of their home.

Had that been an act?

Sehun drove up to the house. Swerving into the side garage and scurried up the steps. Searching for her with an urgency. The sight of her face would settle his worried heart. She would be waiting for him. That was all he needed to know.

Namjoo wasn’t in the room. Wasn’t on the third-floor deck. Only Hyesoo and Auntie Park were in the kitchen. Sehun hurried back upstairs. Wandering around as his internal frustration screamed. He wanted to pull out his hair. For a moment assuming she had left. Maybe to meet Eunwoo. Maybe another man.

Sehun couldn’t stand the evil thoughts. He just wanted to see his wife. He just wanted to affirm that their love was true. Their happiness could persevere.

Then he heard the water running when he returned to the master bedroom. Namjoo was in the shower.

Why?

Sehun paced. Possibilities chased themselves through his mind. Maybe she spilled a drink on her dress. Maybe she had been sweating.

God, something was seriously wrong with him.

His heart lurched when the bathroom door clicked open. Namjoo stepped out with wet hair. A long t-shirt dress. First looking at him surprised. Then cluelessly.

“Oh, you’re home?” she asked as if it was an everyday occurrence where she found him waiting for her.

“You showered.” He said as if she had betrayed him.

“Oh…well, I was shaving. I see the doctor this week, you know…” she explained shyly.

“Right.” he blinked. There was a doctor appointment. Another ultrasound would be done.

“What?” she wondered.

Really, he was an idiot. Why was he having a silent misfit when Namjoo was home all along? He didn’t want to become a piece of garbage like Sangki. Losing his love for his wife because of a tiny matter.

Suddenly, his thinking felt clearer now. It would make sense, too, if Namjoo dated before they married. He hadn’t been attentive to her. They were married now. That should make all the difference.

He could forgive her if she had loved before.


***uh-oh...Sehun's being backed into a corner but remember in ch.1 in the flashback her father wouldn't let her marry anyone who wasn't close enough to be family? He kind of spoke about Namjoo's mother here. Oh boy, all the secrets will be exposed soon

***anyway, just to clear things up: Namjoo and her father don't get along, yes. She was angry with him ever since her mother died and since he remarried. He does dote on Hea but that's also bc Namjoo refused to be affectionate with dear daddy. There are a lot of underlying factors in their icy relationship. I've noted throughout the story that her father figures everything out for her and fixes everyone of her problems hence the ticket issue in ch.1 if you recall. And now he's gonna take everything into his hands again