Nonchalant Things

On Thin Air

“C…can we just eat?” she stuttered. Hastily pulling a chair out she slunk down. Fluttering eyes that refused to look in his direction settled on the table. Then realizing she slid off the oven mitts and handed them back to the maid, who smiled. Nodding a farewell she silently treaded back into the kitchen leaving them alone.

Discreetly clearing his throat to ward off the awkward atmosphere he sank down into the chair. Neither of them moved. Sitting like two strangers forced into a blind date. Trapped in a frozen time warp the only movement stirred from the steaming pot of soup.

Picking up his spoon he tasted the soup. Complimenting, “It’s good.”

Ignoring him, Namjoo began filling her plate up. Awkwardness slapped them again when their spoons clashed as they reached into the bowl of soup. They momentarily paused. Agitated, Namjoo scooped up her fair share hurriedly.

After dinner Namjoo disappeared. To her room probably. Heading outside to his car he pulled out the projector he’d bought. Pulling a chair onto the third floor he set himself to work. Skimming through the manual as he unpacked the contents of the box. Sighing, scratching his head as he figured out the tools and attachment process.

A good two hours went by. Much of which he contemplated calling someone to do the work for him. His father didn’t raise him to use his hands but his head. Putting an airplane model together was not his thing having been taught to sit behind the desk. For some uncanny reason he had to do this.

The projector finally lit up filling the wall with color. Clapping his hands together he let out a yelp. He’d succeeded something so trivial for the first time on his own. Stupid, but he felt proud. Grinning happily he looked around finally taking note of how dark it was outside. On this side of the house he could see the full moon blossoming in the darkness.

Shoving everything into the corner he turned the lights off and headed downstairs.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo couldn’t stand this. Feeling so weird and disturbed. Sitting on the bed with a pillow propped at her back she chewed her thumb nail. Ashamed about the effort she’d put in earlier. It hadn’t been necessary at all.

What had she been thinking? Had she been on drugs?

Namjoo shook her head.

She couldn’t stop wallowing in embarrassment. She shouldn’t have lifted her hands, but then she couldn’t just sit around and do nothing! The conflicting thoughts made her so appalling!

Touching her phone she stared at the time. It was getting later, but she couldn’t shut her mind up and sleep. Something was wrong with her. Would the doctor be able to diagnose her new illness?

Sliding forward she pulled her pillow down. Plopping onto the bed she stared up at the ceiling. Blinking. It was so silent she could feel her mind starting to scream. Then her eyes traveled to the side when she heard footsteps. Slightly lifting her head up she stared at the door wondering who it was? The footsteps faded down the hall surprising her that Sehun had been up so late. What was with him?

She frowned. Dismissing all inquiring thoughts she flipped her back to the door and closed her eyes.

At the table the next morning Namjoo patiently waited for breakfast to be served. Debating if she should continue helping since she had yesterday. When Auntie Park brought over the fresh side dishes she met her eyes with a smile. As if they’d made a pact of some sort Namjoo returned the tiny smile.

Forget it she decided. She’d already become a freaking housewife. Here was her home. She would do as she liked. She had to do something, or she’d die of boredom.

This morning Sehun seemed to take his time clearing out the dishes. When he finally put his spoon down she thought he’d scoot his chair back and walk away like he always did. Not even a foot out the door he turned around.

“Today,” he said, “are you making dinner again?”

“Huh?” was all that shot out of , surprised. She’d started gathering the plates, was clutching an empty bowl in her hand when he spoke.

“I was just wondering,” he said then turned to walk away.

A hand touched her shoulder, took the bowl from her, and said, “I think he means he’d like it if you help with dinner again.”

Turning away from the empty doorway Namjoo glanced at Auntie Park who gave her a witty smile before striding into the kitchen. Gathering the plates Namjoo followed her. Apparently Hyesoo wasn’t around, which left them alone. Joining the woman at the double sink Namjoo wondered, “How do you know?”

“An old woman knows,” the woman ambiguously replied then chided, “go away. I don’t need your help.”

Turning the running faucet into her sink Namjoo stubbornly insisted, “Hyesoo’s not here, so I’ll step in for her.”

Namjoo received a side eye and a scoff. “Madams don’t belong in the kitchen. What are you up to?”

“My mom,” Namjoo said then glanced at the pudgy woman, “worked in the kitchen. She knew everyone who worked in the house for us.” Namjoo looked away embarrassed when she looked at her. Going the shorter route she excused, “I’m just bored.”

“If you really want something to do, it’s laundry day.” Auntie Park hinted.

Namjoo headed to the second floor after drying her hands. Entering the guest rooms for the first time. Stripping the beds and removing pillow cases. Deciding the rooms were too gloomy and stuffy she opened each window to let in fresh air. Working from room to room until she reached the master bedroom. But Sehun’s room had no window. Instead, Namjoo stared at the balcony through the glass door.

She’d been in here before, but she hadn’t gone out there to explore. Curious, she dropped the bedsheet and pillow cases onto the mattress. Unlocking the door she slid the door open. A wave of fresh air blew into her face. Smelled the earthly fragrance as she stepped out. Taking her back to a childhood memory of running through the backyard with her dogs. Of her mother nearby keeping watch. Recalling the scent of freshly mowed grass with an aftertaste of grilled meat on her tongue.

The wind flew into her again making her hair fly back. Closing her eyes Namjoo tilted her head until her nose was parallel to the sky. Soaking in the entire world. Letting herself dissolve into the nostalgic pictures that only existed in memory.

Regaining her composure Namjoo returned inside locking the door behind her.

In the laundry room Namjoo studied the buttons on the machine as Hyesoo explained each function to her. Then the washer was whirling and buzzing.

“Then…that’s it?” Namjoo blankly asked.

“Yes, that’s it,” Hyesoo nodded. They both blinked when the silence ensued. “Are you thirsty? I’ll get you water.”

“Oh…ok.”

She disappeared and returned with a fresh glass of water. There were two fresh slices of lemon in it. Namjoo stared at the combo questionably.

“It helps with digestion and energy,” Hyesoo explained. “They also do it in restaurants.”

“I see.”

“And it also helps reduce swelling and nausea in pregnancy,” she added.

Namjoo eyed her over the rim of the cup. Swallowing a gulp she told, “I’m not pregnant.”

She blushed. “I was just…saying.”

Namjoo’s gaze dashed to the side. Most likely everyone knew she and Sehun slept apart. Then they’d also know that they were meant to have a child as soon as possible.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” Namjoo asked.

“Me?” she nearly gasped. Shaking her hands, “How could I?”

“You could,” Namjoo insisted with a nod. “I won’t stop you. You don’t want to stay here forever, do you?”

She blinked unable to say. Conflicted with her loyalty, the small desire to go out there.

“If you find someone you love, you should go,” Namjoo encouraged. “It’s sad to be glued in one place forever because you were brought into it. Everyone deserves a choice.” She took another sip of the water, “Thanks. It’s good.”

Turning around she walked away.

She drank the entire cup then washed it and headed outside. Watching as the grass crumbled under each of her footstep and slowly stretch back to life. Taking one step and another and another. Walking with the wind. Letting her arms swing at her sides until she’d gone far enough that the house looked like a speck behind her. So far out that she felt free of the reign of any title bestowed on her. Mrs. Madam. Miss. Lady.

Lowering herself onto the grass Namjoo closed her eyes. Sinking into an aura of peace. The wind whistled through the leaves. Cicadas chirped around her. Even with closed eyes she could imagine the majestic blue sky. Stretching so wide above her. Reaching far out toward the edges of the world. So envious because the sky could travel the distance she could not.

Namjoo’s fingers danced over the grass. Soaking up the freedom of aloneness. Out here time belonged to her.

Her brow twitched as a shadow stretched over her, darkening the view through her closed lids. It had been a clear cast sky earlier. Confused she opened her eyes to find Sehun staring down at her. She blinked. Had time really gone that fast?

Stepping to the side he lay down beside her. Still surprised Namjoo stared at the sky. Perhaps she’d fallen asleep and lost track of time. Just a moment ago she’d arrived. She could swear on it. Her eyes dared to glance in his direction. Her gaze only made it halfway before she stared up at the blue.

This was weird.

This was unexpected.

What was he doing here?

“It’s nice out here,” he broke the quiet, “but I think it’s nicer from the balcony.”

Feeling a twinge of awkwardness Namjoo pondered over replying.

“Have you been there?” he asked.

“No,” she lied.

“Try it once,” he told.

Caught off guard she looked at him, but he was already getting to his feet.

“I want to show you something, come on,” he urged.

Silently standing she brushed herself off. Following him she asked, “What is it?”

He didn’t answer. Keeping mysterious she was forced to stay on his tail. Many wonders zipped through her mind when she followed him up the stairs. Partially wanting to ask if he was pulling her leg.

“Where are we going?” she asked when they passed the second floor. He still didn’t respond. Namjoo repressed her sigh until they reached the third floor. The deck was still undecorated. If this was a joke about showing her around she wasn’t going to laugh.

“What’s so special?” she questioned then turned when the wall lit up with a bright square. First she heard voices before motion pictures came to life, filling the wall with a blur of color.  Registering a second later that she was watching a movie.

Stupefied, she naively turned to him for explanation.

“I bought a projector,” Sehun told focused on adjusting the volume. “Now you won’t get bored.”

Certainly, her stare wasn’t just a stare. Her eyes zoned in on him. A strange hurl of emotions bubbled inside her. From a very empty place she didn’t expect.

And also, no one had ever done anything for her.

Namjoo immediately lowered her face when he glanced at her. Suddenly growing shy. She didn’t know how to accept things out of the ordinary. How did a normal person react? Very quickly her mind sought for an answer to provide.

She came up with, “Is it because of the dinner?”

“What?” he asked, lost.

Opening she hesitated then touched her ear embarrassed. “It’s just…well this…” she gestured to the projector, “I didn’t know.” Stupidly, “It is here.”

His curious eyes observed her. Gulping, Namjoo dashed her gaze toward the windows.

Disastrously ending the moment, Namjoo excused, “I have to go check on the washer.” Then turned to run down the stairs.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Dinner was more than halfway there when he headed downstairs. This evening Namjoo wasn’t in the kitchen. The kitchen lady was swiftly moving from one counter to another. So occupied that she didn’t notice him looking in.

“Ah God!” she abruptly halted with hand to her chest. “You scared me.”

“Sorry.”

“What are you doing there?” she questioned. “The food’s not ready yet.”

“Oh…I see.” He glanced at the boiling pots on the stove, the fresh veggies being sautéed and mixed together in a bowl on the counter, the greens sitting on an oval plate.

The kitchen lady looked behind her. Turning back to him, “What are you looking at?”

Glancing at her he shook his head, “It’s nothing.”

The elderly lady breathed a smile onto her face. Mixing up the veggies she went on, “Your wife isn’t here. You two sure seem friendly these days.”

“I wouldn’t say friendly.”

“Whatever you want to call it,” she ignorantly blabbered. “You only live once. It’s best to be wise how you choose to live it.”

Skillfully plating the mixed veggies she handed him the plate. “I see her coming. Go put this on the table.”

Before he could mutter a word the plate landed in his hands. Left with no choice he wheeled around into the dining room. Just as he reached the table Namjoo halted on the other side. First her eyes swiveled to the plate in his hand. Secondly, looking at him.

“Uh…well…” he murmured, “are you hungry? It’s almost done.”

“I can wait.”

Silence threaded between them. Maybe it was just him, but it felt like they were growing more awkward by the day compared to when they first moved in. Had the ice melted that quickly?

Stepping forward Namjoo pulled the chair out and sat down. He did the same. The strange air sizzled. No high-level energy here, but awareness. Perhaps they were too conscious of each other now.

“Um…I saw the projector yesterday.”

“What?” she asked.

Speaking louder, “I saw the projector yesterday after work, and it was on the list. I thought it’d be nice to have, so I bought it. That’s it.”

“Ok…” she nodded.

For some reason, he felt like an idiot.

After showering he wandered down the hallway. Intending to go play with the projector. Farther down the hall he noticed that Namjoo’s door was open. He peered inside to find its occupant. She wasn’t there. Quietly moving up the stairs he paused on the last steps to see Namjoo laying comfortably on her bean bag chair watching the movie he’d put on earlier.

Staying out of sight his eyes lurked over her. Dismissing the flash of colors on his right he saw her sink her head into her palm. So absorbed in the movie that she didn’t notice him the slightest. A smile caressed his lips from the view. Glad that she enjoyed it.

Peeling away from the wall he returned to his room.

In the morning he caught Namjoo yawning at the table and blinking tiredly. Discreetly smiling he poked at his food. Glancing up again to see her yawning twice more. He’d buy more movies he figured. After work he’d stop by the store. That was the plan.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

For lunch he met up with his father and Kim Bonhwa at a fancy Japanese restaurant. A traditional styled room had been reserved for them. Him and two elders. With two painted green dragons for extra company. Hot tea was currently being poured. Incomparable to that was the last heated meeting he’d had with Namjoo’s father at the company when he’d been treated like more a stranger than son-in-law. All because of that one warning that seemed to have cast shade over their relationship.

Boy, he wasn’t looking forward to this.

“How is Namjoo doing?” his father asked taking a sip of his steaming tea. Sehun wondered how he wasn’t burning his tongue.

“She’s fine.” He replied, glanced at Namjoo’s father just to see if he was curious.

“It’s almost a month now. What’s going on?” his father wondered. “We talked everything through, didn’t we?”

“Sorry, dad.” Was all he could say.

Haughtily laughing but not really, his dad turned to his friend, “Looks like the children are taking their sweet time. What do you say we urge them on a little?”

“Yes, I agree. I was thinking we could bring the family together to talk,” Kim Bonhwa agreed with a wide b smile.

“Oh? I was thinking the same,” his father roared with laughter.

Sehun experienced a dire need to fidget in his seat, but his phone beeped. It was Namjoo asking where he was, because Sangki and his wife were at their house.