Arrows

On Thin Air

Just like that Sangki dropped her wrist, but he wasn’t finished. Picking up the cup of juice he flung the liquid into her face. Namjoo gasped shocked.

“You liked the juice,” Sangki reminded before turning to walk away. Bumping into Sehun on his way out.

Namjoo bit her lower lip enraged. If Sangki were a female, if she wasn’t here at Sehun’s house she would lunge after him. Pull him down by the hair, fight with him.

“Oh no, oh no,” Seoyun rushed forward. Touching her drenched shirt, her face, her hair. “Are you ok? I’m so sorry. So sorry.”

“It’s fine.” Namjoo gently swat her hand away.

“Take her to change,” Sehun told without batting an eye.

Suddenly, Namjoo was angry with him too. Wanted to spite him as Seoyun led her away.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

“ing family,” Namjoo mumbled to herself as she splattered water over her face. Groaning when she realized her makeup was coming off. Snatching the towel off the nearby rack she dried off her neck, her face. Then reached for the dress Seoyun had offered her earlier.

“This is all I have. I’m not sure if it’ll fit, I’m sorry.” Seoyun apologized, kept apologizing. Her brows creased, her expression creased. Eyes dipping lower into the carpet as if she would melt into the ground. Remorseful for what her immature husband had done. Kept rubbing it in. Namjoo wanted her to shut up.

Shutting the door right away when she’d gotten into the woman’s room, Namjoo breathed a sigh of relief knowing they were a room apart. God, she couldn’t listen to the small woman anymore.

Holding up the turquoise dress to her body Namjoo moaned. It was a little small. She should have dieted, but then she also didn’t care how she looked on her wedding day. Let her be fat. No one would complain.

Groaning again, Namjoo undressed and pulled the dress on. Hating herself even more when she opened the door to find Seoyun hurriedly turning around from the foot of the bed. Namjoo wasn’t surprised she had been waiting.

“Could you zip the dress?” Namjoo said.

“Yes!” she perked up like it would make up for her husband’s faults. Zooming right over she pulled the zipper up. “It looks good on you.” She complimented taking a step back as Namjoo turned around.

The dress squeezed her. Made it hard to breathe. So tight the seams might come apart if she let her stomach pop.

Glancing around Namjoo recognized the big room as her and Sangki’s. There was a wedding portrait from their younger days. A fresh-faced couple. Pure happiness exuding from their smiles and the way they intimately stood together. Sunny day probably. Celebrating with loved ones. Their wedding. A day to be remembered.

This woman Seoyun didn’t look as energetic anymore. Nor did her husband appear as loving. Every photo memories of days past.

“Oh, this?” Seoyun walked over to the wedding portrait. “It’s the day we got married. We were younger then. You and Sehun should hire a photographer for the wedding. I mean…if you haven’t. You should. A wedding only happens once in a lifetime. It should be remembered forever.”

Now she sounded desperate. A little sad.

“You love each other?” Namjoo asked.

“Of course. You don’t get married unless you do.” She spoke confidently for the first time. Namjoo stared at her with contradiction. Determination quickly wilting she quietly asked, “Don’t you?”

Namjoo continued staring at her with less contradiction this time. Instead, she felt pity for this woman. Silly, because Namjoo was about to become perhaps like her. Trapped in a loveless marriage.

She didn’t like Sehun.

Sehun didn’t like her.

She only knew three things about him. Four, maybe, now.

“You love Sehun, don’t you?” Seoyun asked the final question. “He’s a good person. I mean, he can be ignorant at times, but he’s always trying his best. He’s sweet that way. You probably understand better than I do. I mean, of course, you’re his fiancée.”

Seoyun was a pathetic woman. Trying to liven up when no one cared lest of all her own husband. To choose to stay here and let him walk over her like she was one of the housemaids. She should have walked out long ago.

Namjoo pulled on a b smile in order not to disappoint the woman. “Of course. I love him.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Staring at the spilled juice Sehun sighed. Walking into the kitchen for some towels he spotted the glass of water he had earlier filled for Namjoo. It was untouched. Then he saw the jar of orange juice on the counter. Sighing again he grabbed some towels and returned to clean up the mess his older brother had created.

Whatever had happened he didn’t want to ask. It was just tiring. What the hell was Namjoo thinking?

Sehun waited it out for the next 10 minutes before the girls came back down. Namjoo in a dress he could tell was too small for her. Where it would hang below Seoyun’s knees it rode up her thighs. Walking right over she demanded in a curt tone, “Give me your sweater.”

“What?” he asked more out of surprise.

“Give it to me,” Namjoo repeated with more vehemence.

She rolled her eyes maybe glared even harder when he slid his buttoned sweater off. Namjoo hastily snatched it from him and slipped it on. Mumbling to herself as she began rolling the sleeves up. He would have glared in return but glanced up when Seoyun approached.

“Thanks, Seoyun,” he said.

“It’s no problem,” she assured. “I’m glad to. I’m sorry again. I’m not sure what got into Sangki. He’s usually not so rude.”

“It’s fine,” Sehun said again. Glancing at Namjoo to see if she would say anything. She didn’t.

“Then, I’ll leave you two alone,” Seoyun excused herself.

When she was far down the corridor Namjoo stated, “I’m leaving.”

“To where? We’re not done yet.”

She turned to him angrily. “Well, I’m done with meeting your lovely family for the day. I enjoyed it sooo much, my dear husband-to-be. If anyone wants news tell them we had for dinner. They’ll love it. I bet.”

She walked away but stopped down the hall and turned around. “Tell your brother he’s lovely.”

He stared after her with a deep frown wondering what the hell had gotten into her.

When he stepped out back for some air he found Seoyun sitting in the lawn chair again. She hurriedly sprang up to her feet like a child caught stealing candy.

“Where is Namjoo?” she asked. “You’re alone.”

Namjoo.

He wanted to scoff.

“Left.” He replied. Looked out into the field then turned to look at her, “What are you doing out here? Where’s Sangki?”

She fiddled with her fingers. “Maybe went for a drive. He wouldn’t answer the phone.”

Probably pissed off. About a stupid watch.

“She seems nice,” Seoyun spoke up.

Sehun wanted to scoff again. He couldn’t imagine it.

“She drank my juice,” Seoyun told. “No one drinks it, you know.” Smiling to herself she gazed at the bricks beneath her feet, “I think she’s in a sort of gray area before the wedding.”

Sehun looked at her like she was insane.

“Most women want to get married only once,” Seoyun sympathetically explained, talking from experience. “Arranged marriages aren’t very common anymore, but still, a wedding is important to a woman whether she’s dreamt of it before or not. You don’t always get along with each other, but it’s important to make the best of it. Having each other can be a pretty amazing thing. I hope you know that.”

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

The silver watch slammed into the wall marking a dent before clattering to the floor. Bitterly enraged at his unrepairable watch Sangki kicked at a table on his way inside. The heavy porcelain vase crashed into the floor behind him.

“What is going on with you?” his father looked at him with an irate frown as he walked into the kitchen, ing one then two buttons like that would help release the anger clogging his chest.

“You’re home?” Seoyun greeted rising from her seat. “I’ll go get you a plate.”

“Where are you coming from?” his father huffed. “Look at you.” He muttered then asked, “Where is Sehun?”

“Dinner,” Seoyun explained hurrying back to the table with an empty plate for her husband. Placing it before the empty seat beside his father, she reminded, “He took Namjoo to dinner.”

Sangki looked at her irritably. “Who are you to answer for him? His wife?”

A cough from deep within his throat. “Sit down. You’re being a nuisance standing there.”

Trying not to grumble he sunk into the chair beside his father. Picked up his spoon and began filling his plate.

“I have something to talk to you about,” his father started exciting him. “It’s about the estate.”

Estate. An expansive and luxurious three-story partial brick partial polished concrete building. With a gourmet kitchen that consisted of a wraparound breakfast bar, ample counter and cabinet space, and a two-story dining room. There were five walk-in closets of the six bedrooms. Every bedroom with its own dual vanity and private baths with jacuzzi settings. Wall to ceiling windows to highlight the main room with full sunlight on cozy summer days or watch snowfall on wintry evenings. There was even a large balcony in the master bedroom. The entire third floor was its own deck with a magnificent view of the land surrounding the estate.

It was meant to be his.

“The estate?” he repeated a little breathless. It had been a while since he’d heard that word.

“Yes,” his father confirmed. “Lets prepare the house for Sehun.”

“Why?” he questioned. “It’s mine, dad!”

“Your mother prepared the house expecting a grandchild,” his father carefully reminded, “but your situation hasn’t changed.” He didn’t spare Seoyun a glance to apologize for bringing the subject back up. It was the biggest thorn in their lives.

“No,” Sangki refused. “I won’t give it to him. Sehun can get his own house. He works with you, doesn’t he? He’s your capable son, dad! He can look after himself!”

The elder man produced a rumble from deep within his throat. He would have none of his pouting. “The house is under your mother’s name. Sehun will immediately have a child after marriage. I’ll make sure to it. You two,” he looked at him then his wife, “will make sure of it, too.”

Pushing his chair back he left the table.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Snatching a photograph, because it was the first thing in his sight when he walked into his bedroom, Sangki flung it onto the bed with an animal-like grunt.

“I can’t believe him!” Sangki yelled from the top of his lungs when Seoyun closed the door. “That’s my house! MY HOUSE! Mother left it for me!”

“He’s just looking out for Sehun,” Seoyun gently repeated his father.

Whipping around he glared at her. Eyes red, face twisted with pure anger. His hand curled into a fist at his side.

“If only you were able to have a child,” he grumbled. “This is your fault, too.” Turning on her, “Don’t you understand?! You don’t see it?! The way he looks down on us, because we don’t have a child!” his hands shook maddeningly.

“Sangki…”

Swiveling around in his fit he kicked the bed. “He’s going to give everything to Sehun. All he sees is Sehun, Sehun, Sehun.”

“It’s not his fault…” Seoyun inched back when he flipped around and pointed a thick finger into her face.

“Don’t you dare defend him in front of my face,” he hissed. “You are my wife. Remember that.”

Coldly brushing past he opened then slammed the door so hard the entire room shook. in a breath to stay patient she walked toward the bed. Picked up the photograph. It was their wedding photo. Of when she was still young. When the world was still rooting for her.

When Oh Sangki said he loved her she felt it deep down to her bones. When he asked her to marry him her entire world became one moment. If he said everything would be all right, it would be all right. His words always shot through her heart.

It still did.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Namjoo remembered she was sitting by the river, now she was looking at the ceiling in an overly dim room. For an hour at least she hadn’t thought of anything.

“You’re awake?” A drowsy voice turned over.

“I need to go,” Namjoo said sitting up.

“Why?” Jinho whined. Sliding his hands around her he nuzzled her neck making her giggle.

“Stop,” she tried to push him away but not really. She let him pull her down until they were tangled in the sheets and his leg ran against her inner thighs sending electricity through her nerves.

“Do we always have to do this here?” he asked kissing her nose, her face. Kissing , “I want to come see your house.”

Peering up at the expanse of his thick shoulders Namjoo traced her thumbs over his cheek. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why? Is it your parents?” he wondered.

Namjoo thought about her calculating father. Her greedy step-mother and Hea who loved getting on her nerves. Then about the marriage they had signed her up for against her will.

Mood traveling astray, she pushed him off and threw over the covers.

“Did I say something?” he innocently wondered as she walked into the bathroom to shower.

Closing the door Namjoo the water setting it to hot. Clamping her eyes shut and tilting her face up into the raining water like it would wash away her sins. She was envious of Jinho. His hardworking way of life but he was able to live honestly and sincerely. He was too unlike her. Everything she wished she could be. If he lived wondering what the rich was like she lived wondering what a simple life was like.

“You’re really going to go,” he asked now dressed and sitting on the edge of the bed, “just like that? Again?”

Hair still damp Namjoo stared at the floor. Stuffy with remorse and guilt. He was a good-looking young man. Great in bed. Probably the most kindhearted man she’d met in her entire lifetime. She’d want to marry him if she weren’t so rich, and if that wouldn’t burden him. But her family would look down on him and she didn’t want him to feel small. Jinho was the sky in her eyes. Untouchable, because he was so good.

Days were passing. Four weeks before she and Sehun tied the knot.

“You’re so secretive about everything,” Jinho perked up when she didn’t say anything. “I don’t know anything about you, you know. Where you work, who your parents are. Do you have a brother? A sister?” With a last attempt he called, “Namjoo.”

It rendered her heart shakenly. If normality existed in her atmosphere she wouldn’t hesitate to fling herself at him. Tell him to take her home so they could start a family right away and later they could argue about electricity and water bills. Necessities she never had to worry about because there was an endless amount of money in the bank.

“I really have to go.” Without a glance at him she opened the door and left him behind.

ꜛꜛꜛꜛꜛ

Chatter resonated through the walls the further Namjoo walked into the house. Louder as she neared until she discovered her family in the billiard room, enjoying casual drinks and a game. Eunwoo and Sehun included. she immediately thought.

“Namjoo,” her step-mother called out, “why, what an honor of you to join us.”

Namjoo turned away to bite down on her teeth. Her hair was still wet.

“Namjoo,” Eunwoo stood with a smile. “I was waiting so we could talk.” Turning around to the others, “Please excuse us.”

Confused, she looked at him but let him take her arm to lead her back outside. A streak of orange zipped around the skyline marking the entry of sunset. Still rather warm out and she was still in Sehun’s stupid sweater.

“I didn’t want you to get in trouble,” Eunwoo explained when they stopped below the staircase.

“It’s pretty obvious I am,” Namjoo said. Behind him the tall pine trees appeared like shapely triangles out of a Christmas book.

“Your hair’s wet.” He took notice touching her head.

“We’re getting married next month.” Sehun took a step down from the stairs, hands tucked in his pockets stoically. Another step and another until he reached ground, near them. Staring at them, “You’re invited.”

Namjoo rolled her eyes. Eunwoo removed his hand from her hair. “So you came out.”

Sehun raised his brow. “Well, I wouldn’t want anyone to think my wife,” he gave her a discreet glance through narrowed slits, “has a boyfriend when we’re getting married.”

Eunwoo laughed baffled, somewhat flustered. “I’m not sure what you’re talking about.”

In reply, Sehun smugly smiled. Namjoo frowned at him wishing he’d quit it.

“Have a good night, Eunwoo. I’ll call you.” Namjoo perked up.

“Yes. Hope you enjoyed your swim.” He smiled cheerily at her then glanced at Sehun hesitantly before turning to leave.

As headlights flashed and an engine roared, Sehun demanded, “Where the hell have you been?”

“I went for a swim,” Namjoo tilted her head up with defiance. “Unless my dear husband loves me enough, maybe I’ll tell him next time where I go.” Giving him a once over, “I see it’s obvious you’re on your way out now that you’ve seen your dear wife. Drive home safe,” she narrowed her eyes to mock him, “love.”

Turning she stomped up the steps grumbling, groaning underneath her breath. To a sharp slap on the face when she walked inside.